Genomes and Genes
Summary: Transplantation of tissue typical of one area to a different recipient site. The tissue may be autologous, heterologous, or homologous.
- Demeestere I, Simon P, Emiliani S, Delbaere A, Englert Y. Fertility preservation: successful transplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissue in a young patient previously treated for Hodgkin's disease. Oncologist. 2007;12:1437-42 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the second published full-term spontaneous pregnancy after an orthotopic and heterotopic transplantation of cryopreserved ovarian tissue in a 31-year-old woman previously treated by conditioning therapy for ..
- Hilders C, Baranski A, Peters L, Ramkhelawan A, Trimbos J. Successful human ovarian autotransplantation to the upper arm. Cancer. 2004;101:2771-8 pubmed..Heterotopic autotransplantation of the ovary to the upper arm is a promising surgical technique to maintain the ovarian function in women who become menopausal due to cancer treatment regimens. ..
- Hemadi M, Abolhassani F, Akbari M, Sobhani A, Pasbakhsh P, Ahrlund Richter L, et al. Melatonin promotes the cumulus-oocyte complexes quality of vitrified-thawed murine ovaries; with increased mean number of follicles survival and ovary size following heterotopic transplantation. Eur J Pharmacol. 2009;618:84-90 pubmed publisher..the protective effect of melatonin on neonate murine ovarian tissue after vitrification, thawing and heterotopic transplantation into ovariectomized recipient mice...
- Hernandez Fonseca H, Bosch P, Sirisathien S, Wininger J, Massey J, Brackett B. Effect of site of transplantation on follicular development of human ovarian tissue transplanted into intact or castrated immunodeficient mice. Fertil Steril. 2004;81 Suppl 1:888-92 pubmed..Follicular development in xenotransplanted human ovarian tissue is influenced by the site of transplantation and the condition of the host. ..
- Kallio E, Lemström K, Hayry P, Ryan U, Koskinen P. Blockade of complement inhibits obliterative bronchiolitis in rat tracheal allografts. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;161:1332-9 pubmed..A blockade of complement activation renders the chemokine milieu unattractive to neutrophils and also modulates the alloimmune response toward Th2 cytokines, which may have an antiproliferative role in fibroproliferative disorders. ..
- Oktay K, Yih M. Preliminary experience with orthotopic and heterotopic transplantation of ovarian cortical strips. Semin Reprod Med. 2002;20:63-74 pubmed..our focus will be on the clinical applications of ovarian transplantation and new developments in heterotopic transplantation. Patient selection and screening, details of the surgical techniques, and safety measures to avoid ..
- Van den Broecke R, Liu J, Handyside A, Van der Elst J, Krausz T, Dhont M, et al. Follicular growth in fresh and cryopreserved human ovarian cortical grafts transplanted to immunodeficient mice. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001;97:193-201 pubmed..Primordial follicles in fresh and cryopreserved human ovarian cortical grafts can initiate growth after transplantation to immunodeficient mice ..
- Callejo J, Vilaseca S, Medina M, Salvador C, Valls C, Lailla J. Inhibin and follicular development in heterotopical ovary transplants without vascular pedicle in syngeneic Lewis rats. Fertil Steril. 2003;79 Suppl 1:743-8 pubmed..These increased levels, in turn, would be responsible for the follicular hyperplasia seen in this tissue when it recovers its function. ..
- Jeremias E, Bedaiwy M, Gurunluoglu R, Biscotti C, Siemionow M, Falcone T. Heterotopic autotransplantation of the ovary with microvascular anastomosis: a novel surgical technique. Fertil Steril. 2002;77:1278-82 pubmed..1 +/- 1). In conjunction with improved protocols for cryopreservation, ovarian autotransplantation with vascular anastomosis may be superior to current ovarian tissue banking and grafting techniques. ..
- Hausen B, Berry G, Dagum P, Ikonen T, Christians U, Briffa N, et al. The histology of subcutaneously implanted donor bronchial rings correlates with rejection scores of lung allografts in a primate lung transplant model. J Heart Lung Transplant. 1999;18:714-24 pubmed
- Gook D, McCully B, Edgar D, McBain J. Development of antral follicles in human cryopreserved ovarian tissue following xenografting. Hum Reprod. 2001;16:417-22 pubmed..Pedicles containing germinal vesicle oocytes were observed protruding from the granulosa cell layers. The development and morphology of the cryopreserved and fresh tissue following grafting was similar. ..
- Kim S, Soules M, Battaglia D. Follicular development, ovulation, and corpus luteum formation in cryopreserved human ovarian tissue after xenotransplantation. Fertil Steril. 2002;78:77-82 pubmed..3] The progesterone levels were all above 3.0 ng/mL. This study showed that the cryopreserved human ovarian follicles can be matured to a stage at which they can form functioning corpora luteae in the host animal. ..
- Callejo J, Salvador C, Miralles A, Vilaseca S, Lailla J, Balasch J. Long-term ovarian function evaluation after autografting by implantation with fresh and frozen-thawed human ovarian tissue. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:4489-94 pubmed..The cases reported here suggest that hormonal protection can be restored after fresh or cryopreserved heterotopic ovarian transplantation in women, albeit for only a short reproductive span. ..
- Callejo J, Vilaseca S, Ordi J, Cabré S, Lailla J, Balasch J. Heterotopic ovarian transplantation without vascular pedicle in syngeneic Lewis rats: long-term evaluation of effects on ovarian structure and function. Fertil Steril. 2002;77:396-402 pubmed..Heterotopic ovarian transplantation without vascular pedicle in rats is characterized by follicular hyperplasia endocrinologically functional, followed by progressive loss of follicles in heterotopic ovarian autografts. ..
- Schnorr J, Oehninger S, Toner J, Hsiu J, Lanzendorf S, Williams R, et al. Functional studies of subcutaneous ovarian transplants in non-human primates: steroidogenesis, endometrial development, ovulation, menstrual patterns and gamete morphology. Hum Reprod. 2002;17:612-9 pubmed..The success of ovarian transplantation in these non-human primates with menstrual cycles bodes well for the development of ovarian transplantation protocols for women at risk of ovarian failure. ..
- Sotelo R, Mirandolino M, Trujillo G, Garcia A, De Andrade R, Carmona O, et al. Laparoscopic repair of rectourethral fistulas after prostate surgery. Urology. 2007;70:515-8 pubmed..RUF is a rare entity that can develop after ablative or extirpative prostate surgery. Successful management often requires an aggressive approach. Several techniques have been described for surgical correction...
- Zhang X, Li J, Sun J, Ma R, Sun J. Microsurgical techniques in rat heterotopic small bowel transplantation: analysis of 450 cases. Transplant Proc. 2005;37:2338-40 pubmed
- Schmidt J, de Avila J, McLean D. Analysis of gene expression in bovine testis tissue prior to ectopic testis tissue xenografting and during the grafting period. Biol Reprod. 2007;76:1071-80 pubmed..Using these data, it will be possible in the future to manipulate the testis xenograft microenvironment so as to improve the efficiency of sperm production within the graft. ..
- Demos N. Tracheal ring regeneration. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;78:1511; author reply 1511 pubmed
- Desrois M, Durrans A, Caus T, Lan C, Clarke K, Cozzone P, et al. Modulation of the NO pathway during short or prolonged blood reperfusion following ischaemia in a heterotopic rat heart transplantation model. Transplant Proc. 2004;36:1280-2 pubmed..002). These results suggest involvement of the NO pathway in ischemia-reperfusion injury with distinctive roles of NOS isoforms during short and prolonged reperfusion following ischemia. ..
- Cavadas P, Landin L, Navarro Monzones A, Soler Nomdedeu S. Salvage of impending replant failure by temporary ectopic replantation: a case report. J Hand Surg Am. 2006;31:463-7 pubmed..The functional result was similar to that of a standard transhumeral replantation, with 30 degrees to 120 degrees of active range of elbow motion, basic grip pattern, and S3 sensibility. ..
- Merkle F, Mirzadeh Z, Alvarez Buylla A. Mosaic organization of neural stem cells in the adult brain. Science. 2007;317:381-4 pubmed..This suggests that rather than being plastic and homogeneous, neural stem cells are a restricted and diverse population of progenitors. ..
- Cho H, Suh J, Lee E, Kim J, Lee S, Kwon B. Improved surgical technique for heterotopic aortic transplantation in mice. J Korean Med Sci. 2007;22:12-5 pubmed..Our new technique is relatively easy to perform and has a low incidence of thrombosis, thus being useful for studying various aspects of transplant arteriosclerosis. ..
- Baer C, Rickman C, Srivastava S, Malek G, Stinnett S, Toth C. Recurrent choroidal neovascularization after macular translocation surgery with 360-degree peripheral retinectomy. Retina. 2008;28:1221-7 pubmed publisher..Findings in this study support the hypotheses that the development of CNV occurs via a signaling mechanism from the fovea. ..
- Pichakron K, Bui P, Pickard B, Perlstein J, Mathis D, Muir Padilla J, et al. The application of split-thickness skin graft as an autogenous arterial conduit in a goat (Capra hircus) model. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2006;40:213-22 pubmed..Technical factors affecting patency include orientation of the deep dermal surface of the STSG and the diameter of the neoconduit at the time of implantation. ..
- Williams I, Quaegebeur J, Hsu D, Gersony W, Bourlon F, Mosca R, et al. Ross procedure in infants and toddlers followed into childhood. Circulation. 2005;112:I390-5 pubmed..No patient developed significant autograft insufficiency or required autograft reintervention during the follow-up period. Dilatation of the autograft occurred during the first year after surgery and stabilized thereafter. ..
- Newcomb A, Esmore D, Rosenfeldt F, Richardson M, Marasco S. Heterotopic heart transplantation: an expanding role in the twenty-first century?. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;78:1345-50; discussion 1350-1 pubmed..The effect of cyclosporine on acute rejection saw the heterotopic transplantation technique wane...
- Lim C, Rhyu W, Lee Y, Choh J. Management of left atrial endocardium after extensive thrombectomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:e11-2 pubmed..We recently managed such a patient successfully using extensive thrombectomy and endocardial coverage with a fresh autologous pericardial patch. ..
- Margheritini F, Rihn J, Mauro C, Stabile K, Woo S, Harner C. Biomechanics of initial tibial fixation in posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy. 2005;21:1164-71 pubmed..Combined tibial fixation may provide a more stable reconstruction at initial fixation. ..
- Nishida H, Tomizawa Y, Endo M, Kurosawa H. Survival benefit of exclusive use of in situ arterial conduits over combined use of arterial and vein grafts for multiple coronary artery bypass grafting. Circulation. 2005;112:I299-303 pubmed..61; 95% confidence interval, 0.38 to 1.00; P=0.05). Our data suggest that the exclusive use of in situ arterial grafts in CABG achieves significantly better long-term survival compared with combined use of arterial and vein grafts. ..
- Perrault L, Aubin M, Malo O, Thollon C, Villeneuve N, Vilaine J, et al. Status of the endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor pathway in coronary arteries after heterotopic heart transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007;26:48-55 pubmed..This impairment of EDHF-mediated relaxations may compound the endothelial dysfunction preceding the development of coronary graft vasculopathy. ..
- Yozu M, Tabata H, Nakajima K. The caudal migratory stream: a novel migratory stream of interneurons derived from the caudal ganglionic eminence in the developing mouse forebrain. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7268-77 pubmed..5. The caudal migratory stream is a novel migratory path for a population of CGE-derived interneurons passing from the subpallium to the hippocampus. ..
- Chosa E, Hara M, Watanabe A, Matsuzaki Y, Nakamura K, Hamano K, et al. Spleen plays an important role in maintaining tolerance after removal of the vascularized heart graft. Transplantation. 2007;83:1226-33 pubmed..The spleen is important in maintaining CD4CD25 regulatory T cells after primary allograft removal. ..
- Nakao M, Ricard P, Dor V, Saoudi N. Catheter ablation of recipient right ventricular tachycardia after heterotopic heart transplantation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2005;16:789-92 pubmed..Radiofrequency ablation using an electroanatomical mapping system (CARTO, Biosense Webster, Diamond Bar, CA, USA) successfully eliminated VT. ..
- Miwa S, Desai N, Koyama T, Chan E, Cohen E, Fremes S. Radial artery angiographic string sign: clinical consequences and the role of pharmacologic therapy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;81:112-8; discussion 119 pubmed..0045). In the Radial Artery Patency Study, radial artery string sign was present in 7% of patients. Despite diffuse narrowing, 52% of grafts had TIMI 2 flow or better. ..
- Chan M, Stalder M, Lam T, Tye T, Borie D, Morris R. Use of echocardiography to assess function of hDAF-transgenic pig cardiac xenografts. Transplant Proc. 2005;37:1923-5 pubmed..Echocardiography has, therefore, the potential to detect and treat early rejection episodes of heterotopic heart xenografts in nonhuman primates. This may help to achieve longer graft survival. ..
- Fischer J, Dickhut A, Rickert M, Richter W. Human articular chondrocytes secrete parathyroid hormone-related protein and inhibit hypertrophy of mesenchymal stem cells in coculture during chondrogenesis. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:2696-706 pubmed publisher..HAC-derived soluble factors and direct coculture are potent means of improving chondrogenesis and suppressing the hypertrophic development of MSCs. PTHrP is an important candidate soluble factor involved in this effect. ..
- Kruyt M, Dhert W, Oner C, van Blitterswijk C, Verbout A, de Bruijn J. Osteogenicity of autologous bone transplants in the goat. Transplantation. 2004;77:504-9 pubmed..5% vs. 9.3%, P <0.02). The cells inside the autologous bone transplants most likely survived transplantation and were capable of initiating and sustaining new bone formation. ..
- Wu Y, Ye Q, Sato K, Foley L, Hitchens T, Ho C. Noninvasive evaluation of cardiac allograft rejection by cellular and functional cardiac magnetic resonance. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2009;2:731-41 pubmed publisher..CMR is noninvasive and provides a 3-dimensional, whole-heart perspective of the rejection status, potentially allowing more reliable detection of acute allograft rejection. ..
- Hartin C, Escobar M, Yamout S, Caty M. Stapled tapering coloplasty to manage colon interposition graft redundancy for long-gap esophageal atresia. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:2311-4 pubmed publisher..The patient underwent a successful transhiatal mobilization of the intrathoracic colon and stapled tapering coloplasty. The patient currently remains symptom-free. ..
- Liang H, Yi D, Zheng Q, Du J, Cao Y, Yu S, et al. Improvement of heart allograft acceptability associated with recruitment of CD4+CD25+ T cells in peripheral blood by recipient treatment with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. Transplant Proc. 2008;40:1604-11 pubmed publisher..This study may provide insight into the application of G-CSF to control acute rejection of solid organ transplantations. ..
- Oktay K. Successful human ovarian autotransplantation to the upper arm. Cancer. 2005;103:1982-3; author reply 1983 pubmed
- Furukawa H, Oshima K, Tung T, Cui G, Laks H, Sen L. Liposome-mediated combinatorial cytokine gene therapy induces localized synergistic immunosuppression and promotes long-term survival of cardiac allografts. J Immunol. 2005;174:6983-92 pubmed..Synergism of overexpressed IL-4 and IL-10 in the inhibition of T lymphocyte infiltration and cytoxicity, and modulation of Th1/Th2 cytokine production promote long-term survival of cardiac allografts. ..
- Godeiro K, Kirsch D, Tabuse M, Cronemberger M. Yamada's surgery for treatment of myopic strabismus fixus. Int Ophthalmol. 2009;29:305-8 pubmed publisher..The surgical effects can be potentialized with resection of the hemitransposed portions of the SR and LR muscles. In addition, we demonstrated that botulinum toxin injection at the RM muscle is not an effective treatment in these cases. ..
- Assalia A, Ueda K, Matteotti R, Cuenca Abente F, Rogula T, Gagner M. Staple-line reinforcement with bovine pericardium in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: experimental comparative study in pigs. Obes Surg. 2007;17:222-8 pubmed..In this experimental model, the use of bovine pericardium as a staple-line buttress in LSG was easy and safe; however, it did not decrease the occurrence of complications. ..
- McGregor C, Davies W, Oi K, Teotia S, Schirmer J, Risdahl J, et al. Cardiac xenotransplantation: recent preclinical progress with 3-month median survival. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;130:844-51 pubmed..Duplication of these results in the orthotopic life-supporting position could bring cardiac xenotransplantation to the threshold of clinical application. ..
- Johnsson C, Lorant T, Tufveson G. Regulation of fibroblasts by activated and non-activated immune cells. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005;24:2170-8 pubmed..We conclude that graft-infiltrating cells and immune cells activated in vitro have the capacity to stimulate fibroblasts, most probably as a result of the production and secretion of fibroblast-stimulating factors. ..
- Ambrus C, Sykes D, Kulaylat M, Akhter S, Lane W, Ambrus J. Studies on splenic population size feedback control regulatory mechanisms. J Med. 2004;35:27-31 pubmed..If such regulators are present in the circulation, administration of normal plasma should inhibit splenosis and this may serve as a model to isolate such regulators. This was not the case in these experiments. ..
- Li Z, Benghiat F, Kubjak C, Schuind F, Goldman M, Le Moine A. Donor T-cell development in host thymus after heterotopic limb transplantation in mice. Transplantation. 2007;83:815-8 pubmed..These observations suggest that donor T cells differentiated in host thymus might contribute to maintenance of mixed chimerism after transplantation of tissue composite grafts that include vascularized bone. ..
- Al Khaldi A, Reitz B, Zhu H, Rosenthal D. Heterotopic heart transplant combined with postoperative Sildenafil use for the treatment of restrictive cardiomyopathy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;81:1505-7 pubmed..Additional lessons learned from postoperative management, including the novel use of Sildenafil (Viagra, Pfizer, NY) for controlling pulmonary arterial pressure are described. ..
- Gaudino M, Prati F, Caradonna E, Trani C, Burzotta F, Schiavoni G, et al. Implantation in coronary circulation induces morphofunctional transformation of radial grafts from muscular to elastomuscular. Circulation. 2005;112:I208-11 pubmed