Genomes and Genes
cord blood stem cell transplantation
Summary: Transplantation of STEM CELLS collected from the fetal blood remaining in the UMBILICAL CORD and the PLACENTA after delivery. Included are the HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLS.
- Ahn S, Chang Y, Kim S, Sung D, Kim E, Rime S, et al. Long-term (postnatal day 70) outcome and safety of intratracheal transplantation of human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells in neonatal hyperoxic lung injury. Yonsei Med J. 2013;54:416-24 pubmed publisher..The protective and beneficial effects of IT transplantation of hUCB-MSCs in neonatal hyperoxic lung injuries were sustained for a prolonged recovery period without any long-term adverse effects up to P70. ..
- Cutler C, Kim H, Sun L, Sese D, Glotzbecker B, Armand P, et al. Donor-specific anti-HLA antibodies predict outcome in double umbilical cord blood transplantation. Blood. 2011;118:6691-7 pubmed publisher..0%, P = .04). We conclude that identification of preformed DSAs in umbilical cord blood recipients should be performed and that the use of umbilical cord blood units where preformed host DSAs exist should be avoided...
- Verneris M, Brunstein C, Barker J, Macmillan M, Defor T, McKenna D, et al. Relapse risk after umbilical cord blood transplantation: enhanced graft-versus-leukemia effect in recipients of 2 units. Blood. 2009;114:4293-9 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at http://clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00309842. ..
- Terakura S, Azuma E, Murata M, Kumamoto T, Hirayama M, Atsuta Y, et al. Hematopoietic engraftment in recipients of unrelated donor umbilical cord blood is affected by the CD34+ and CD8+ cell doses. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2007;13:822-30 pubmed..These results suggest that consideration of CD34(+) and CD8(+) cell doses in UCB units may improve the engraftment in recipients of UCB transplantation. ..
- Brunstein C, Barker J, Weisdorf D, DeFor T, McKenna D, Chong S, et al. Intra-BM injection to enhance engraftment after myeloablative umbilical cord blood transplantation with two partially HLA-matched units. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009;43:935-40 pubmed publisher..Survival was 47% at 1 year. Despite safety of administration, IBMI of one of two UCB units did not shorten the time to neutrophil engraftment and offers no advantage over conventional double unit transplantation. ..
- Sato A, Ooi J, Takahashi S, Tsukada N, Kato S, Kawakita T, et al. Unrelated cord blood transplantation after myeloablative conditioning in adults with advanced myelodysplastic syndromes. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011;46:257-61 pubmed publisher..No factor was associated with TRM, relapse and EFS. These results suggest that adult advanced MDS patients without suitable related or unrelated BM donors should be considered as candidates for CBT. ..
- Cohen Y, Scaradavou A, Stevens C, Rubinstein P, Gluckman E, Rocha V, et al. Factors affecting mortality following myeloablative cord blood transplantation in adults: a pooled analysis of three international registries. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011;46:70-6 pubmed publisher..In spite of some differences in practice patterns, survival was remarkably homogeneous. The resulting model may contribute to better understanding factors affecting CBT outcomes. ..
- Prasad V, Kurtzberg J. Umbilical cord blood transplantation for non-malignant diseases. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009;44:643-51 pubmed publisher..Every effort should be made to perform transplantation early in the course of disease before extensive damage to various tissues and organs ensues. ..
- Chung D, Choi C, Lee S, Kang E, Lee J, Hwang S, et al. Intraarterially delivered human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells in canine cerebral ischemia. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87:3554-67 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that intraarterial transplantation of HUCB-derived MSCs could be useful in clinical treatment of cerebral ischemia. ..
- Rocha V, Locatelli F. Searching for alternative hematopoietic stem cell donors for pediatric patients. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008;41:207-14 pubmed
- Eapen M, Rocha V, Sanz G, Scaradavou A, Zhang M, Arcese W, et al. Effect of graft source on unrelated donor haemopoietic stem-cell transplantation in adults with acute leukaemia: a retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11:653-60 pubmed publisher..63, 0.44-0.90; p=0.01). These data support the use of UCB for adults with acute leukaemia when there is no HLA-matched unrelated adult donor available, and when a transplant is needed urgently. ..
- Chang Y, Oh W, Choi S, Sung D, Kim S, Choi E, et al. Human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells attenuate hyperoxia-induced lung injury in neonatal rats. Cell Transplant. 2009;18:869-86 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, intratracheal transplantation of human UCB-derived MSCs is more effective than intraperitoneal transplantation in attenuating the hyperoxia-induced lung injury in neonatal rats. ..
- Goi K, Inukai T, Honna H, Akahane K, Hirose K, Kuroda I, et al. Successful tandem (autologous-cord blood) SCT in advanced neuroblastomas with highly amplified MYCN. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011;46:835-9 pubmed publisher..Severe acute complications did not occur in any patient and they have maintained disease-free survival for 37-60 months. This strategy appears to be feasible and effective for the treatment of extremely high-risk neuroblastoma cases. ..
- Willemze R, Ruggeri A, Purtill D, Rodrigues C, Gluckman E, Rocha V. Is there an impact of killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptors and KIR-ligand incompatibilities on outcomes after unrelated cord blood stem cell transplantation?. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2010;23:283-90 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the role of natural killer (NK) cell alloreactivity in UCBT is far from clear. It is too early to use a donor-recipient KIR(-ligand) algorithm for selection of a cord blood donor. ..
- Sanz J, Sanz M, Saavedra S, Lorenzo I, Montesinos P, Senent L, et al. Cord blood transplantation from unrelated donors in adults with high-risk acute myeloid leukemia. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010;16:86-94 pubmed publisher..These results show that CBT from unrelated donors is a curative treatment for a substantial number of patients with high-risk AML, particularly if transplant is performed with highly cellular units in patients in first CR. ..
- Avery S, Shi W, Lubin M, Gonzales A, Heller G, Castro Malaspina H, et al. Influence of infused cell dose and HLA match on engraftment after double-unit cord blood allografts. Blood. 2011;117:3277-85; quiz 3478 pubmed publisher..0001). Our findings have important implications for unit selection and provide further insight into double-unit biology. ..
- Kanda J, Rizzieri D, Gasparetto C, Long G, Chute J, Sullivan K, et al. Adult dual umbilical cord blood transplantation using myeloablative total body irradiation (1350 cGy) and fludarabine conditioning. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011;17:867-74 pubmed publisher..This study supports the use of TBI 1350 cGy/Flu as an alternative to conventional myeloablative conditioning for dual UCB transplantation. ..
- Riegelsberger U, Deten A, Pösel C, Zille M, Kranz A, Boltze J, et al. Intravenous human umbilical cord blood transplantation for stroke: impact on infarct volume and caspase-3-dependent cell death in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Exp Neurol. 2011;227:218-23 pubmed publisher..Neither the infarct volume nor casp3 activity was significantly affected by cell transplantation. Delayed systemic transplantation of HUCBC failed to produce neuroprotective effects in a permanent stroke model using premorbid subjects. ..
- Jaing T, Hung I, Yang C, Tsai M, Lee W, Sun C. Second transplant with two unrelated cord blood units for early graft failure after cord blood transplantation for thalassemia. Pediatr Transplant. 2009;13:766-8 pubmed publisher..All are alive, between nine and 11 months after retransplant. Our group reported successful utilization of double umblical cord blood grafts in thalassemia patients with early GF. ..
- Almyroudis N, Fabian J, Hahn T, Segal B, Wetzler M, McCarthy P. Late infectious complications after cord blood stem cell transplantation. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2009;28:1405-8 pubmed publisher..We retrospectively reviewed patients who underwent cord blood stem cell transplantation at Roswell Park Cancer Institute for hematological malignancies and who survived beyond day 100 for ..
- Eldjerou L, Chaudhury S, Baisre de Leon A, He M, Arcila M, Heller G, et al. An in vivo model of double-unit cord blood transplantation that correlates with clinical engraftment. Blood. 2010;116:3999-4006 pubmed publisher..Thus, unit dominance is an in vivo phenomenon probably associated with a graft-versus-graft immune interaction mediated by CD34(-) cells. ..
- Liu W, Chen C, Foo N, Huang H, Wang J, Chen S, et al. Human umbilical cord blood cells protect against hypothalamic apoptosis and systemic inflammation response during heatstroke in rats. Pediatr neonatol. 2009;50:208-16 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that HUCBC transplantation may prevent the occurrence of heatstroke by reducing hypothalamic neuronal damage and the systemic inflammatory responses. ..
- Gluckman E, Rocha V, Ionescu I, Bierings M, Harris R, Wagner J, et al. Results of unrelated cord blood transplant in fanconi anemia patients: risk factor analysis for engraftment and survival. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2007;13:1073-82 pubmed..In conclusion, factors easily modifiable such as donor selection and a Fludarabine-containing regimen can considerably improve survival in FA patients given a UCBT. These data are the basis for designing prospective protocols. ..
- Jaing T, Yang C, Hung I, Chen S, Sun C, Chow R. Transplantation of unrelated donor umbilical cord blood utilizing double-unit grafts for five teenagers with transfusion-dependent thalassemia. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2007;40:307-11 pubmed..Therefore, transfusion of two partially HLA-matched UCB units is safe, and may overcome the cell-dose barrier that limits the use of UCB in long-term recipients of multiple transfusions for thalassemia. ..
- Leonardo C, Hall A, Collier L, Ajmo C, Willing A, Pennypacker K. Human umbilical cord blood cell therapy blocks the morphological change and recruitment of CD11b-expressing, isolectin-binding proinflammatory cells after middle cerebral artery occlusion. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:1213-22 pubmed publisher
- Rocha V, Broxmeyer H. New approaches for improving engraftment after cord blood transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010;16:S126-32 pubmed publisher..Those approaches may greatly increase the quality and availability of CB for transplantation. ..
- Atsuta Y, Suzuki R, Nagamura Inoue T, Taniguchi S, Takahashi S, Kai S, et al. Disease-specific analyses of unrelated cord blood transplantation compared with unrelated bone marrow transplantation in adult patients with acute leukemia. Blood. 2009;113:1631-8 pubmed publisher..For patients with AML, decreasing mortality, especially in the early phase of transplantation, is required to improve the outcome for CB recipients. ..
- Kogler G, Critser P, Trapp T, Yoder M. Future of cord blood for non-oncology uses. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009;44:683-97 pubmed publisher..By taking advantage of numerous CB units discarded due to lack of sufficient hematopoietic cells for clinical transplantation, new concepts to produce off-the-shelf products are presented as well. ..
- Harris D. Non-haematological uses of cord blood stem cells. Br J Haematol. 2009;147:177-84 pubmed publisher..A summary of the initial results from such clinical studies using autologous cord blood stem cells will be presented. ..
- Ruiz Delgado G, Mancias Guerra C, Tamez Gómez E, Rodríguez Romo L, López Otero A, Hernandez Arizpe A, et al. Dimethyl sulfoxide-induced toxicity in cord blood stem cell transplantation: report of three cases and review of the literature. Acta Haematol. 2009;122:1-5 pubmed publisher..Two of the 3 cases had a dismal prognosis. A brief review of the literature is presented. ..
- Haller M, Viener H, Wasserfall C, Brusko T, Atkinson M, Schatz D. Autologous umbilical cord blood infusion for type 1 diabetes. Exp Hematol. 2008;36:710-5 pubmed publisher..Prolonged follow-up and additional mechanistic efforts are urgently needed to determine if umbilical cord blood-derived stem cells can be used as part of safe and effective therapies for T1D. ..
- Sanz J, Montesinos P, Saavedra S, Lorenzo I, Senent L, Planelles D, et al. Single-unit umbilical cord blood transplantation from unrelated donors in adult patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010;16:1589-95 pubmed publisher..Advances in supportive care and better selection of cord blood units and patients are needed to improve TRM. ..
- van Heeckeren W, Fanning L, Meyerson H, Fu P, Lazarus H, Cooper B, et al. Influence of human leucocyte antigen disparity and graft lymphocytes on allogeneic engraftment and survival after umbilical cord blood transplant in adults. Br J Haematol. 2007;139:464-74 pubmed
- Haspel R, Kao G, Yeap B, Cutler C, Soiffer R, Alyea E, et al. Preinfusion variables predict the predominant unit in the setting of reduced-intensity double cord blood transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008;41:523-9 pubmed
- Lin H, de Stanchina E, Zhou X, She Y, Hoang D, Cheung S, et al. Maitake beta-glucan enhances umbilical cord blood stem cell transplantation in the NOD/SCID mouse. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2009;234:342-53 pubmed publisher..The studies suggest that MBG promotes hematopoiesis through effects on CD34+ progenitor cell expansion ex vivo and when given to the transplant recipient could enhance CD34+ precursor cell homing and support engraftment...
- Das H, Abdulhameed N, Joseph M, Sakthivel R, Mao H, Pompili V. Ex vivo nanofiber expansion and genetic modification of human cord blood-derived progenitor/stem cells enhances vasculogenesis. Cell Transplant. 2009;18:305-18 pubmed publisher..Additionally, proangiogenic growth factors overexpression in progenitor cells can potentially improve autologous or allogeneic stem cell therapy for ischemic diseases. ..
- Rocha V, Gluckman E. Improving outcomes of cord blood transplantation: HLA matching, cell dose and other graft- and transplantation-related factors. Br J Haematol. 2009;147:262-74 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the interactions between HLA, cell dose and other modifiable factors related to the UCB unit selection and transplantation that may improve outcomes after UCB transplantation. ..
- Kamani N, Spellman S, Hurley C, Barker J, Smith F, Oudshoorn M, et al. State of the art review: HLA matching and outcome of unrelated donor umbilical cord blood transplants. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2008;14:1-6 pubmed
- Komanduri K, St John L, de Lima M, McMannis J, Rosinski S, McNiece I, et al. Delayed immune reconstitution after cord blood transplantation is characterized by impaired thymopoiesis and late memory T-cell skewing. Blood. 2007;110:4543-51 pubmed..Strategies that improve the engraftment of lymphoid precursors, protect the thymus during pretransplant conditioning, and/or augment the recovery of thymopoiesis may improve outcomes after CBT. ..
- Scaradavou A, Smith K, Hawke R, Schaible A, Abboud M, Kernan N, et al. Cord blood units with low CD34+ cell viability have a low probability of engraftment after double unit transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010;16:500-8 pubmed publisher..02). Our data suggests one mechanism by which double unit CBT can improve engraftment is by increasing the probability of transplanting at least one unit with adequate viability and the potential to engraft. ..
- Rosenkranz K, Kumbruch S, Lebermann K, Marschner K, Jensen A, Dermietzel R, et al. The chemokine SDF-1/CXCL12 contributes to the 'homing' of umbilical cord blood cells to a hypoxic-ischemic lesion in the rat brain. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:1223-33 pubmed publisher..The reduction of hUCB cells present at the lesion site upon functional inhibition of SDF-1 strengthens the view that the SDF-1/CXCR4 axis is of major importance for cell 'homing'. ..
- Diaz de Heredia C, Ortega J, Diaz M, Olive T, Badell I, Gonzalez Vicent M, et al. Unrelated cord blood transplantation for severe combined immunodeficiency and other primary immunodeficiencies. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008;41:627-33 pubmed..No patient is intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) replacement therapy-dependent. UCB transplantation is a valid option for children with PID who lack an HLA-identical sibling donor. ..
- Xing Y, Shen L, Li H, Zhang Y, Zhao L, Zhao S, et al. Optimal time for human umbilical cord blood cell transplantation in rats with myocardial infarction. Chin Med J (Engl). 2009;122:2833-9 pubmed..Angiogenesis, but not cardiomyocyte regeneration, played a key role in the cardiac function improvement. ..
- Cho P, Messina D, Hirsh E, Chi N, Goldman S, Lo D, et al. Immunogenicity of umbilical cord tissue derived cells. Blood. 2008;111:430-8 pubmed
- Araya K, Sakai N, Mohri I, Kagitani Shimono K, Okinaga T, Hashii Y, et al. Localized donor cells in brain of a Hunter disease patient after cord blood stem cell transplantation. Mol Genet Metab. 2009;98:255-63 pubmed publisher..We treated a 6-year-old male suffering from a severe type of Hunter disease with cord blood stem cell transplantation (CBSCT); however, he died at 10 months post-therapy due to a laryngeal post-transplantation ..
- Rocha V, Kabbara N, Ionescu I, Ruggeri A, Purtill D, Gluckman E. Pediatric related and unrelated cord blood transplantation for malignant diseases. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2009;44:653-9 pubmed publisher..This review will analyze the current results of CBT for pediatric patients with malignant diseases and the advantages and limitations of using this stem cell source. ..
- Sun J, Allison J, McLaughlin C, Sledge L, Waters Pick B, Wease S, et al. Differences in quality between privately and publicly banked umbilical cord blood units: a pilot study of autologous cord blood infusion in children with acquired neurologic disorders. Transfusion. 2010;50:1980-7 pubmed publisher..If efficacy of autologous CB is established clinically, the quality of autologous units should be held to the same standards as those stored in public banks. ..
- Yang W, Zhang Y, Wu F, Min W, Minev B, Zhang M, et al. Safety evaluation of allogeneic umbilical cord blood mononuclear cell therapy for degenerative conditions. J Transl Med. 2010;8:75 pubmed publisher..The current hematology-based paradigm of need for matching and immune suppression needs to be revisited when cord blood is used for non-hematopoietic regenerative purposes in immune competent recipients. ..
- Gutman J, Turtle C, Manley T, Heimfeld S, Bernstein I, Riddell S, et al. Single-unit dominance after double-unit umbilical cord blood transplantation coincides with a specific CD8+ T-cell response against the nonengrafted unit. Blood. 2010;115:757-65 pubmed publisher..Future investigations based on these findings may result in strategies to predict a dominant unit and enhance graft-versus-leukemia effect...
- Brunstein C, Barker J, Weisdorf D, DeFor T, Miller J, Blazar B, et al. Umbilical cord blood transplantation after nonmyeloablative conditioning: impact on transplantation outcomes in 110 adults with hematologic disease. Blood. 2007;110:3064-70 pubmed..01) and use of 2 UCB units (P = .07). These findings support the use of UCB after a nonmyeloablative conditioning as a strategy for extending the availability of transplantation therapy, particularly for older patients. ..