Summary: Making an incision in the STERNUM.
- Garg P, Bishnoi A, Lakhia K, Surti J, Siddiqui S, Solanki P, et al. Transverse Sternal Split: a Safe Mini-invasive Approach for Perventricular Device Closure of Ventricular Septal Defect. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;32:184-190 pubmed publisherPerventricular device closure of ventricular septal defect through midline sternotomy avoids the cardiopulmonary bypass, however, lacks the cosmetic advantage...
- Kudo S, Tanaka K, Okada K, Takemura T. Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation for blunt cardiac rupture. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1789.e1-1789.e2 pubmed publisherExtracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECPR) followed by operating room sternotomy, rather than resuscitative thoracotomy, might be life-saving for patients with blunt cardiac rupture and cardiac arrest who do not have multiple ..
- Wang Y, Zheng X, Liu K. Surgical Repair of Bland-White-Garland Syndrome With Giant Right Coronary Artery Aneurysm. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e375-e377 pubmed publisher..He underwent a thorough anatomic correction to excise the aneurysm and reconstruct a coronary system of two vessels. The postoperative period of this patient was uneventful...
- Kneuertz P, Kamel M, Stiles B, Lee B, Rahouma M, Nasar A, et al. Robotic Thymectomy Is Feasible for Large Thymomas: A Propensity-Matched Comparison. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1673-1678 pubmed publisher..45). No difference was seen in R0 resection rates (90% versus 85%, p = 0.62). RAT can be performed safely and effectively in a radical fashion for large thymomas. Future studies are necessary to determine long-term oncologic outcomes. ..
- Olland A, Reeb J, Guinard S, Seitlinger J, Santelmo N, Kessler R, et al. Clamshell Closure With Absorbable Sternal Pins in Lung Transplant Recipients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e207-e209 pubmed publisherClamshell (bilateral anterolateral thoracotomy combined to transverse sternotomy) is an invasive surgical approach that is helpful in particular situations, especially bilateral lung transplantation...
- Chan J, Diaconescu A, Horvath K. Routine Use of Topical Bacitracin to Prevent Sternal Wound Infections After Cardiac Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1496-1500 pubmed publisher..We evaluated the routine use of bacitracin ointment applied over the sternotomy skin incision as a prophylactic measure against sternal wound infections...
- Gaffey A, Chen C, Chung J, Phillips E, Wald J, Williams M, et al. Improved Approach With Subcostal Exchange of the HeartMate II Left Ventricular Assist Device: Difference in On and Off Pump?. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1540-1546 pubmed publisher..Paul, MN [previously Thoratec]) left ventricular assist device (LVAD) exchange has traditionally involved a redo sternotomy. Alternate minimally invasive subcostal approaches have the advantage of avoiding sternal reentry, excessive ..
- Makani S, Mitchell J, Metton O, Di Filippo S, Henaine R, Ninet J. Surgical repair of a pseudocoarctation with cervical aortic arch complicated by multiple aneurysms of the aorta: a case report. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;26:236 pubmed publisher..The intervention, performed by sternotomy, has consisted of the resection of the aneurysmal area and the interposition of a Dacron tube to repair the ..
- Doenst T, Lamelas J. Do we have enough evidence for minimally-invasive cardiac surgery? A critical review of scientific and non-scientific information. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2017;58:613-623 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, outcomes have been equivalent to matched sternotomy cases and there is no doubt that the number of patients undergoing minimally-invasive mitral or aortic ..
- Kirmani B, Jones S, Malaisrie S, Chung D, Williams R. Limited versus full sternotomy for aortic valve replacement. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;4:CD011793 pubmed publisher..This is conventionally performed by opening the sternum longitudinally down the centre ("median sternotomy") and replacing the valve under cardiopulmonary bypass...
- Cohn W. Advances in surgical treatment of acute and chronic coronary artery disease. Tex Heart Inst J. 2010;37:328-30 pubmed
- Kurihara C, Kawabori M, Ono M, Hussain S, Parulekar A, Morgan J, et al. Lung Procurement After Cardiac Death in a Donor With Previous Median Sternotomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e371-e373 pubmed publisher..However, procuring lungs from donors with a previous median sternotomy is technically difficult and is usually avoided...