Summary: Injection of air or a more slowly absorbed gas such as nitrogen, into the PLEURAL CAVITY to collapse the lung.
- Ueda T, Andreas C, Itami J, Miyakawa K, Fujimoto H, Ito H, et al. Pyothorax-associated lymphoma: imaging findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;194:76-84 pubmed publisher..In 13 cases, gallium scans were available and were reviewed. Sixteen patients had a history of artificial pneumothorax therapy for tuberculosis. Pyothorax-associated lymphoma was visualized mainly (71...
- Martin Y, Artaz M, Bornand Rousselot A. Pyothorax-associated lymphoma in an elderly woman with a history of lung tuberculosis. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004;52:1226-7 pubmed
- Ko R, McRae K, Darling G, Waddell T, McGlade D, Cheung K, et al. The use of air in the inspired gas mixture during two-lung ventilation delays lung collapse during one-lung ventilation. Anesth Analg. 2009;108:1092-6 pubmed publisher..De-nitrogenation of the lung during 2LV is a useful strategy to improve surgical conditions during OLV. The use of FIO(2) 1.0 or N(2)O/O(2) (FIO(2) 0.4) during 2LV did not have an adverse effect on subsequent oxygenation during OLV. ..
- Conacher I. Anaesthesia for thoracoscopic surgery. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2002;16:53-62 pubmed..Post-operative pain can be severe. The mechanism is not defined but it differs from that associated with thoracotomy. Epidural analgesia and opioids may be required. Chronic pain syndromes have been described as complications. ..
- Yasukawa M, Hamada M, Ohshima K. Pyothorax-associated lymphoma. Br J Haematol. 2002;119:293 pubmed
- Javerliat I, Coggia M, Di Centa I, Alfonsi P, Colacchio G, Kitzis M, et al. Total videoscopic bypass graft implantation on the ascending aorta for lower limb revascularization. J Vasc Surg. 2005;42:361-4 pubmed..We report a new technique for the ventral aorta using a total videoscopic approach of the ascending aorta, which avoids the need for a median sternotomy. We discuss the advantages and perspectives of this new approach. ..
- Gómez Ayechu M, Castañeda Pascual M, Zaballos Barcala N, Unzué Rico P. [Anesthetic implications of Swyer-James syndrome]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2006;53:674-6 pubmed
- Verghese E, Amer K, Addis B. Pyothorax-associated lymphoma: an unusual variant of an unusual tumour. Histopathology. 2007;51:131-3 pubmed
- Souto G, Caetano C, Paula Filho A, Teixeira M, Carvalho M, Silva A. Myocardial revascularization surgery with regional anesthesia without an endotracheal tube in conscious patients. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2002;79:292-301 pubmed..Twenty-three patients were stable enough to be released after 24 hours. This technique could be performed on an large number of selected patients. However, more experience is necessary. ..
- Ohtsuka T, Imanaka K, Endoh M, Kohno T, Nakajima J, Kotsuka Y, et al. Hemodynamic effects of carbon dioxide insufflation under single-lung ventilation during thoracoscopy. Ann Thorac Surg. 1999;68:29-32; discussion 32-3 pubmed
- Fajraoui N, Ben Hamida K, Hadj Kacem A, Amouri R, Ben Ghars K, Khiari I, et al. [Axonal neuropathy revealing pleural lymphoma as a long-term outcome of therapeutic pneumothorax]. Rev Med Interne. 2010;31:e3-6 pubmed publisher..Neuropathy associated to lymphoma results from various mechanisms and is characterised by clinical polymorphism. Their prognosis depends on the mechanism of the neuropathy and the severity of the lymphoma. ..
- Sandbu R, Birgisdottir B, Arvidsson D, Sjostrand U, Rubertsson S. Optimal positive end-expiratory pressure (PEEP) settings in differential lung ventilation during simultaneous unilateral pneumothorax and laparoscopy: an experimental study in pigs. Surg Endosc. 2001;15:1478-83 pubmed..The application of PEEP equal to or above CO2 insufflation pressure improved blood gases; in particular, the hypoxia could be avoided. No beneficial effects of differential lung ventilation were documented. ..
- Miwa H, Takakuwa T, Nakatsuka S, Tomita Y, Iuchi K, Aozasa K. DNA sequences of the immunoglobulin heavy chain variable region gene in pyothorax-associated lymphoma. Oncology. 2002;62:241-50 pubmed..Antigen-selected maturation might not take place in PAL, which is distinct from the majority of B cell lymphomas. ..
- Mishin V, Vasil eva I. [Efficacy of ofloxacin (zanocin) in the treatment of multidrug resistant pulmonary tuberculosis]. Antibiot Khimioter. 2003;48:7-10 pubmed..tubercle bacilli isolation at least in 80% of the patients and closure of the lung caverns after artificial pneumothorax and routine surgical interventions in more than half of the patients...
- Trca S, Krska Z, Kittnar O, Mlcek M, Demes R, Danzig V, et al. Hemodynamic response to thoracoscopy and thoracotomy. Physiol Res. 2010;59:363-71 pubmed..are influenced by the position of patient's body on the operation table and by the introduction of artificial pneumothorax. Thoracoscopy is an advanced surgical approach in thoracic surgery, but its hemodynamic effect is still ..
- Kawaoka T, Matsui H, Nagashima A, Hiraki S, Fukuda S, Kudo A. [A case of pyothorax-associated lymphoma treated by operation following radiation therapy]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2009;36:2127-9 pubmed..He had a history of artificial pneumothorax for tuberculosis when he was 21 years old...
- Hazebroek E, Schreve M, Visser P, de Bruin R, Marquet R, Bonjer H. Impact of temperature and humidity of carbon dioxide pneumoperitoneum on body temperature and peritoneal morphology. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2002;12:355-64 pubmed..Hypothermia can be prevented by both heating and humidifying the insufflation gas. Changes of the peritoneal surface occur after CO2 insufflation, despite heating or humidifying, and also after gasless surgery. ..
- Schaarschmidt K, Strauss J, Kolberg Schwerdt A, Lempe M, Schlesinger F, Jaeschke U. Thoracoscopic repair of congenital diaphragmatic hernia by inflation-assisted bowel reduction, in a resuscitated neonate: a better access?. Pediatr Surg Int. 2005;21:806-8 pubmed..In suitable infants thoracoscopic repair and inflation-assisted reduction of thoracic contents is a more physiological access to congenital diaphragmatic hernia than laparoscopy or laparotomy. ..
- Matsutani N, Takase B, Nogami Y, Ozeki Y, Kaneda S, Maehara T, et al. Efficacy of peritoneal oxygenation using a novel artificial oxygen carrier (TRM-645) in a rat respiratory insufficiency model. Surg Today. 2010;40:451-5 pubmed publisher..The abdomen (peritoneum) can potentially become an "artificial lung" that can be employed in critical care settings. TRM-645 provides an alternative to the use of washed human red blood cells. ..
- Dördelmann M, Schirg E, Poets C, Ure B, Gluer S, Bohnhorst B. Therapeutic lung puncture for diffuse unilateral pulmonary interstitial emphysema in preterm infants. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2008;18:233-6 pubmed publisher..It may be considered before proceeding to surgical measures in order to preserve potentially functional lung tissue. ..
- Tomescu D, Grigorescu B, Nitulescu R, Tomulescu V, Popescu I, Tulbure D. [Hemodynamic changes induced by positive pressure capnothorax during thoracoscopic thymectomy]. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2007;102:263-70 pubmed..16 1/min/m2 (19%) (p = 0.02) and respectively 16.58 ml/m2 (21%) (p = 0.001). Thereby we are applying low-flow positive pressure insufflation of CO2 into the thorax, to almost all thoracoscopies performed in our clinic. ..
- Breathnach C, Moynihan J. Brice Clarke (1895-1975) and the control of tuberculosis in Northern Ireland. Ulster Med J. 2009;78:179-84 pubmed..His garden at Hillsborough could not contain him in retirement; he set off on a slow boat to Japan in 1962, and returned to pen biographical sketches of famous consumptives until his death in 1975 at the age of 80. ..
- Castaneda M, Gomez M, Pascual J, Araujo A. [Simultaneous use of 2 Arndt-type endobronchial blockers to collapse the lung in congenital tracheal bronchus]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2006;53:56-8 pubmed
- Sekine A, Hagiwara E, Hashiba Y, Ogura T, Takahashi H. [Clinical analysis of eight cases with pyothorax-associated lymphoma]. Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi. 2010;48:186-91 pubmed..All cases were histopathologically identified as diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma and had a history of artificial pneumothorax for the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis...
- McHoney M, Mackinlay G, Munro F, Capek A, Aldridge L. Effect of patient weight and anesthetic technique on CO2 excretion during thoracoscopy in children assessed by end-tidal CO2. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2008;18:147-51 pubmed publisher..Changes in EtCO(2) are larger in smaller children undergoing single-lung ventilation. Thoracoscopy may preserve intraoperative thermoregulation. ..
- He L. [Brief history of the development of artificial pneumothorax]. Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi. 2010;40:125-8 pubmedb>Artificial pneumothorax (AP), was one kind of surgery for pulmonary tuberculosis which injects the air into the pleural cavity by needle tubes to form the artificial pneumothorax...
- Mierdl S, Byhahn C, Dogan S, Aybek T, Wimmer Greinecker G, Kessler P, et al. Segmental wall motion abnormalities during telerobotic totally endoscopic coronary artery bypass grafting. Anesth Analg. 2002;94:774-80, table of contents pubmed..The changes in myocardial wall motion were of limited clinical relevance. ..
- Togal T, Gulhas N, Cicek M, Teksan H, Ersoy O. Carbon dioxide pneumothorax during laparoscopic surgery. Surg Endosc. 2002;16:1242 pubmed..This report illustrates the diagnosis and management of an unusual case of CO 2 absorption, resulting in hypercapnia and hypoxemia, and a spontaneous recovery within 30 to 60 min without need of thoracentesis. ..
- Ross J. Tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, and infertility: what ailed George Orwell?. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;41:1599-603 pubmed..I discuss unifying diagnoses for Orwell's respiratory problems and apparent infertility, including tuberculous epididymitis, Young syndrome, immotile cilia syndrome, and cystic fibrosis. ..
- Burgoyne L, Hoffer F, de Armendi A. Anesthesia for a patient with bilateral undrained pneumothoraces. Paediatr Anaesth. 2006;16:802-3 pubmed
- Ruggiero G, Cosentini E, Zanzi D, Sanna V, Terrazzano G, Matarese G, et al. Allelic distribution of human leucocyte antigen in historical and recently diagnosed tuberculosis patients in Southern Italy. Immunology. 2004;111:318-22 pubmed..00004; Pc = 0.008; and P = 0.0001; and Pc = 0.02, respectively). ..
- Lavole A, Abd Alsamad I, Mangiapan G, Bassinet L, Monnet I, Housset B, et al. [Primary pleural lymphoma: a rare complication of tuberculosis pleural sequelae]. Rev Mal Respir. 2001;18:72-4 pubmed..Definite diagnosis is difficult and requires surgical biopsy. Prognosis remains poor with a survival ranging from 3 to 6 month. ..
- Solomon S, Thornton R, Dupuy D, Downey R. Protection of the mediastinum and chest wall with an artificial pneumothorax during lung ablations. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2008;19:610-5 pubmed publisherThe objective in creating an artificial pneumothorax during lung ablation is to develop a working space in the thorax sufficient to displace the target lung lesion from adjacent vulnerable mediastinal or chest wall structures...
- Lee E, Suh R, Zeidler M, Tsai I, Cameron R, Abtin F, et al. Radiofrequency ablation of subpleural lung malignancy: reduced pain using an artificially created pneumothorax. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2009;32:833-6 pubmed publisher..Under CT guidance, we created an artificial pneumothorax prior to the RF ablation, which resulted in minimizing the pain usually experienced during and after the ..
- Chen R, Guo A, Xiu J. [The diagnosis of pleural diseases with a fiberbronchoscope under open pneumothorax]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 1993;16:290-2, 320 pubmed..It was found that this method has little influence on cardiopneumatic function, no harm fiberbronchoscope, and is simple and safe. ..
- Mueller C. Treatment of empyema. J Am Coll Surg. 2005;201:158-9 pubmed
- Boutin C, Loddenkemper R, Astoul P. Diagnostic and therapeutic thoracoscopy: techniques and indications in pulmonary medicine. Tuber Lung Dis. 1993;74:225-39 pubmed..general anaesthesia with or without double lumen intubation or under neuroleptanalgesia after inducing an artificial pneumothorax. At the end of the procedure a chest tube should always be inserted even if it is only for a few minutes ..
- Jardin F, Stamatoullas A, Buchonnet G, Duval C, Dujon A, Picquenot J, et al. [Primary pleural lymphoma after collapse therapy: modern aspects of an historic disease]. Rev Med Interne. 1999;20:985-91 pubmed..Most cases have been described by Japanese investigators and it seems rare or unrecognised in Western countries. We report the study of six cases observed in a single institution...
- Minniti A, Dubrez J, Jougon J, Vona A, Cruz J, Velly J. [Thoracoplasty: the current role]. G Chir. 2002;23:121-4 pubmed..8%. The control of space obliteration, space infection and closure of the bronchopleural fistula was achieved in 27 patients. This article also discusses surgical history of thoracoplasty, technique adopted and its current application. ..
- Denk P, Gatta P, Swanstrom L. Multimedia article. Prone thoracoscopic thoracic duct ligation for postsurgical chylothorax. Surg Endosc. 2008;22:2742 pubmed publisher..Importantly, the prone technique with carbon dioxide insufflation makes the technical challenges of thoracic duct ligation more facile for the surgeon. ..
- Soler P, Valeyre D. [Adult pulmonary Langerhans' cell histiocytosis]. Rev Med Interne. 2003;24:230-6 pubmed..These recent advances in the pathogenesis of Langerhans'cell histiocytosis could promote the development of new therapeutic strategies designed to regulate the number and activated state of Langerhans'cells in specific lesions. ..
- Lawrence G. Artificial pneumothorax boxes. Lancet. 2002;360:1105 pubmed
- Lin Z, Li Y. Artificial pneumothorax with position adjustment for computed tomography-guided percutaneous core biopsy of mediastinum lesions. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;87:920-4 pubmed publisherThis study was designed to assess the use of artificial pneumothorax with position adjustment to gain a pleural space approach in computed tomographic-guided core biopsy of mediastinal masses...
- Santini M, Fiorello A, Vicidomini G, Busiello L, Baldi A. A surgical case of pyothorax-associated lymphoma of T-cell origin arising from the chest wall in chronic empyema. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:642-5 pubmed publisher..The histologic, immunohistochemical, and genotypic features were conclusive for a diagnosis of T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The patient received postoperative chemotherapy and is doing well after 15 months. ..
- Lacreuse I, Valla J, De Lagausie P, Varlet F, Heloury Y, Temporal G, et al. Thoracoscopic resection of neurogenic tumors in children. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:1725-8 pubmed..It avoids cosmetic and functional disorders because of thoracotomy. It allows a good cosmetic resection without spillage. ..
- Narimatsu H, Ota Y, Kami M, Takeuchi K, Suzuki R, Matsuo K, et al. Clinicopathological features of pyothorax-associated lymphoma; a retrospective survey involving 98 patients. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:122-8 pubmed..Seventy-nine patients had a history of artificial pneumothorax. Median interval between diagnosis and artificial pneumothorax was 43 years (range 19-64)...
- Meininger D, Byhahn C. [Special features of laparoscopic operations from an anesthesiologic viewpoint: a review]. Anaesthesist. 2008;57:760-6 pubmed publisher..In this patient group the intra-abdominal pressure should be maintained in the range of 5-7 mmHg. ..
- Orenstein D, Winnie G, Altman H. Cystic fibrosis: a 2002 update. J Pediatr. 2002;140:156-64 pubmed
- Weissberg D. Late complications of collapse therapy for pulmonary tuberculosis. Chest. 2001;120:847-51 pubmed..Further increase in the number of multiple-drug resistant strains may force the return of collapse therapy. ..
- Grundmann U, Schick B, Rensing H. [Life-threatening displacement of a tracheostomy tube in a patient with severe angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor-induced angioedema]. Anaesthesist. 2003;52:47-50 pubmed
- Hara S, Kami M, Miyakoshi S, Suzuki R, Takeuchi K, Seki T, et al. Central nervous system involvement in pyothorax-associated lymphoma: ring enhancement on CT scan. Ann Hematol. 2001;80:174-7 pubmed..diagnosed as having pyothorax-associated lymphoma (PAL), a rare hematological malignancy associated with artificial pneumothorax for the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis...
- Motus I, Skorniakov S, Sokolov V, Egorov E, Kildyusheva E, Savel ev A, et al. Reviving an old idea: can artificial pneumothorax play a role in the modern management of tuberculosis?. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006;10:571-7 pubmedTo determine the usefulness of artificial pneumothorax (AP) in the management of pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) patients when anti-tuberculosis treatment is ineffective...
- Ostermaier R, Taut M. Medical mystery--the answer. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:2355 pubmed