thoracic surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed on the thoracic organs, most commonly the lungs and the heart.
- Lai J, Wang C, Chang P. The measurement and designation of the pectus bar by computed tomography. J Pediatr Surg. 2009;44:2287-90 pubmed publisher..It also allows for better curvature design, preventing multiple intraoperative adjustments. ..
- Tattersall J, Welsh E. Factors influencing the short-term outcome following thoracic surgery in 98 dogs. J Small Anim Pract. 2006;47:715-20 pubmed..The risk of thoracic drain complications increases with drain duration, which is influenced by the underlying disease. Drains should be maintained for the minimal amount of time possible. ..
- de Antonio D, Alfageme F, Gamez P, Cordoba M, Varela A. Results of surgery in small cell carcinoma of the lung. Lung Cancer. 2006;52:299-304 pubmed..Until future studies compare surgery plus chemotherapy versus chemotherapy and radiotherapy, it seems reasonable to offer surgical treatment to those patients with early stage small cell lung cancer (T1-T2-N0). ..
- Kim D, Hwang J, Lee M, Lee D, Paik H. Analysis of the Nuss procedure for pectus excavatum in different age groups. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;80:1073-7 pubmed..However, in adults it is necessary to select patients carefully because of the longer operation time and higher incidence of complications associated with the procedure in this population. ..
- Mihaljevic T, Cohn L, Unic D, Aranki S, Couper G, Byrne J. One thousand minimally invasive valve operations: early and late results. Ann Surg. 2004;240:529-34; discussion 534 pubmed..All forms of valve repair and replacement operations can be performed. Long-term survival and freedom from reoperation are excellent. ..
- Franke A, Lante W, Fackeldey V, Becker H, Kurig E, Zöller L, et al. Pro-inflammatory cytokines after different kinds of cardio-thoracic surgical procedures: is what we see what we know?. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005;28:569-75 pubmed..In addition, our data indicate a relationship between IL-6 synthesis and the degree of surgical trauma. IL-8 appears to be elevated only after cardiac surgery whereas PCT liberation depended on the use of ECC. ..
- Schalamon J, Pokall S, Windhaber J, Hoellwarth M. Minimally invasive correction of pectus excavatum in adult patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006;132:524-9 pubmed..Studies on adult patients are rare. We analyzed the efficacy of minimally invasive pectus repair in a series of adult patients...
- Zallen G, Glick P. Miniature access pectus excavatum repair: Lessons we have learned. J Pediatr Surg. 2004;39:685-9 pubmed..The authors feel that the MAPER is superior to the open technique, and with the modifications they have implemented, complications have been minimized, and long-term results have been improved. ..
- Alihodzic Pasalic A, Grbic K, Pilav A, Hadzismailović A, Grbic E. Initial treatment of isolated thoracic injuries. Med Arch. 2013;67:107-10 pubmed..it may be confirmed that the application of initial diagnostic and therapeutic protocols of the Clinic for thoracic surgery resulted in the achievement of the successful treatments in majority of the injured for this type of the ..
- Dayer M, Chambers J, Prendergast B, Sandoe J, Thornhill M. NICE guidance on antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent infective endocarditis: a survey of clinicians' attitudes. QJM. 2013;106:237-43 pubmed publisher..Many patients perceived to be at high risk of IE are still receiving AP in conflict with current NICE guidance. ..
- Safi S, Op den Winkel J, Schnabel P, Hegenbart U, Neben K, Schneider T, et al. Extended resection of a plasmocytoma of bone and an amyloidoma of the chest wall. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:2223-5 pubmed publisher..Spondylodesis of T7 to T11 provided spine stability. ..
- Anderegg M, Gisbertz S, van Berge Henegouwen M. Minimally invasive surgery for oesophageal cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2014;28:41-52 pubmed publisher..Proclaiming minimally invasive oesophagectomy as the standard of care for patients with resectable oesophageal cancer would therefore be a premature decision. ..
- Hamada K, Hara K, Sata T. [A report of 6 cases with facial flushing, decreased arterial blood pressure and increased heart rate during thoracic surgery]. Masui. 2013;62:949-51 pubmed..When facial flushing concomitant with circulatory instability occurs during lung surgery, it is important to rule out immediately anaphylactic reaction to the drugs administered and to maintain circulation appropriately. ..
- Kadota Y, Ohta M. [Thoracic surgery in patients with autoimmune diseases]. Kyobu Geka. 2012;65:738-42 pubmed..In this article we discuss the autoimmune diseases which are known to associate with thoracic and mediastinal neoplasms, and the perioperative management of thoracic surgery in patients with autoimmune diseases. ..
- Opatz O, Trippel T, Lochner A, Werner A, Stahn A, Steinach M, et al. Temporal and spatial dispersion of human body temperature during deep hypothermia. Br J Anaesth. 2013;111:768-75 pubmed publisher..We suggest that measured surrogate temperatures as indices of the cerebral temperature (e.g. vesical bladder temperature) should be interpreted with respect to the temporal and spatial dispersion during cooling and rewarming phases. ..
- Akhavan A, Binesh F, Kargar K, Navabii H. Juvenile female with chest wall fibromatosis located posteriorly to the right breast: radiation therapy or wait and watch?. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013: pubmed publisher..The patient was operated with positive margin, however, we decided to postpone radiation therapy because of potential risks...
- Ceylan K, Kaya S, Samancilar O, Usluer O, Gursoy S, Ucvet A. Intraoperative management of tracheobronchial rupture after double-lumen tube intubation. Surg Today. 2013;43:757-62 pubmed publisher..Immediate repair must be performed for any laceration diagnosed intraoperatively. ..
- Siregar S, Groenwold R, Versteegh M, Takkenberg J, Bots M, van der Graaf Y, et al. Data Resource Profile: adult cardiac surgery database of the Netherlands Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. Int J Epidemiol. 2013;42:142-9 pubmed publisher..In future, clinical issues will also be addressed, for example survival after coronary artery bypass grafting and valve surgery. ..
- Winger D, Nason K. Propensity-score analysis in thoracic surgery: When, why, and an introduction to how. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;151:1484-7 pubmed publisher..When used in the proper conditions, these analytics allow for more accurate and precise estimates of risk for a variety of outcomes. ..
- Erginel B, Ozkan B, Gun Soysal F, Celik A, Salman T, Toker A. Sleeve resection for bronchial carcinoid tumour in two children under six years old. World J Surg Oncol. 2016;14:108 pubmed publisher..Bronchoplastic techniques are widely used in adults, can be very successful in paediatric patients where the preservation of the lung parenchyma is more important. ..
- Goudie E, Tahiri M, Liberman M. Present and Future Application of Energy Devices in Thoracic Surgery. Thorac Surg Clin. 2016;26:229-36 pubmed publisher..in technology will hopefully allow for safer and less invasive techniques for patients requiring thoracic surgical procedures. In this article, we review the present and future applications of energy devices in thoracic surgery.
- Benito J, Espinoza S, Gutierrez Fonseca R, Bagan P, Laccourreye O. Descending mediastinitis with mediastinal abscess after supracricoid partial laryngectomy. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2013;122:369-73 pubmed..The pathophysiology of this severe complication, as well as its diagnosis, management, and prevention, is discussed, together with a review of the medical scientific literature...
- Shurtleff E, Olinger A. Posterior intercostal artery tortuosity and collateral branch points: a cadaveric study. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2012;71:245-51 pubmed
- Lohser J. Managing hypoxemia during minimally invasive thoracic surgery. Anesthesiol Clin. 2012;30:683-97 pubmed publisher..With appropriate planning and caution, most of the treatment modalities for OLV hypoxemia can be applied to the thoracoscopy setting, with some modifications. ..
- Schopper M, Irnich D. Gender and its implications for cardiothoracic perioperative care and anesthesia. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;61:7-14 pubmed publisher..This article highlights already identified differences and discusses potential underlying mechanisms. ..
- Teddy P, Johnson R, Cai R, Wallace D. Surgery for paediatric thoracic outlet syndrome. J Clin Neurosci. 2012;19:235-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, surgery was successful for paediatric TOS in this series. Anatomical anomalies and sport participation may be related to early onset of TOS in many paediatric patients. ..
- Tsukioka T, Takahama M, Nakajima R, Kimura M, Inoue H, Yamamoto R. Efficacy of Surgical Airway Plasty for Benign Airway Stenosis. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;22:27-31 pubmed publisher..Patients with malacia recover well after surgical plasty. There may be untreated patients with malacia who have the potential to benefit from surgical plasty. ..
- Martina J, Westerhof B, van Goudoever J, de Beaumont E, Truijen J, Kim Y, et al. Noninvasive continuous arterial blood pressure monitoring with Nexfin®. Anesthesiology. 2012;116:1092-103 pubmed publisher..Arterial blood pressure can be measured noninvasively and continuously using physiologic pressure reconstruction. Changes in pressure can be followed and values are comparable to invasive monitoring. ..
- Kiliç B, Demirkaya A, Turna A, Kaynak K. Vascular thoracic outlet syndrome developed after minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;44:567-9 pubmed publisher..Vascular thoracic outlet syndrome should be kept in mind as a possible complication in patients who have undergone minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum, and this complication can be treated by first rib resection. ..
- Nitta T, Kurita J, Murata H, Ohmori H, Sakamoto S, Ochi M, et al. Intraoperative electroanatomic mapping. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012;93:1285-8 pubmed publisher..Cardiopulmonary bypass allowed for the tachycardias to be mapped without any hemodynamic compromise. Intraoperative mapping using the electroanatomic mapping system enables a precise localization of the tachycardia substrate. ..
- Haruki T, Nakamura H, Kishimoto S, Yurugi Y, Fujioka S, Miwa K, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the lung invaded to esophagus: a case report of successful surgical treatment after preoperative transesophageal echographic evaluation. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;60:465-7 pubmed publisher..We believe that the preoperative evaluation using EUS is a useful procedure, if we suspect the lung cancer with esophageal invasion. ..
- Kargar S, Arefanian S, Ghasemi A, Binesh F, Heiranizadeh N. Osteoid osteoma of the rib presenting as thoracic outlet syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:2221-3 pubmed publisher..This unique presentation of the osteoid osteoma as thoracic outlet syndrome suggests that this pathologic involvement of the ribs is not confined to the symptoms of pain and scoliosis. ..
- Simunovic F, Koulaxouzidis G, Stark G, Torio Padron N. Infraareolar pectoralis major myocutaneous island flap as treatment of first choice for deep sternal wound infection. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2013;66:187-92 pubmed publisher..The combination of immunocompetent bulky muscle tissue used to obliterate the sternal cavity and the large skin paddle enabling a low-tension skin closure allows reliable and efficient treatment of this severe complication. ..
- Dubiel G, Rogoziński P, Zaloudik E, Bruliński K, Rózańska A, Wójkowska Mach J. Identifying the Infection Control Areas Requiring Modifications in Thoracic Surgery Units: Results of a Two-Year Surveillance of Surgical Site Infections in Hospitals in Southern Poland. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:820-826 pubmed publisher..Surgical site infection surveillance identified areas of care requiring modifications, namely, organization of post-discharge and microbiologic diagnostics of infection cases. ..
- Maeda J, Yamagishi H, Furutani Y, Kamisago M, Waragai T, Oana S, et al. The impact of cardiac surgery in patients with trisomy 18 and trisomy 13 in Japan. Am J Med Genet A. 2011;155A:2641-6 pubmed publisher..Cardiac surgery was done in 6 (26%) of 23 patients. In this study, approximately a quarter of patients underwent surgery for CHD in both trisomies. Cardiac surgery may improve survival in selected patients with T18. ..
- Monteleone S, Dalla Toffola E, Emiliani V, Ricotti S, Bruggi M, Conte T, et al. Recovery of deambulation after cardiothoracic surgery: a single center experience. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2015;51:763-71 pubmed
- Whitlock E, Torres B, Lin N, Helsten D, Nadelson M, Mashour G, et al. Postoperative delirium in a substudy of cardiothoracic surgical patients in the BAG-RECALL clinical trial. Anesth Analg. 2014;118:809-17 pubmed publisher..Postoperative delirium in the intensive care unit (ICU) is a frequent complication after cardiac or thoracic surgery and is associated with increased morbidity and mortality...
- Seder C, Elhassan B, Wigle D. Manubrial-clavicular-chest wall explantation to expose the anterior thoracic inlet. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97:350-2 pubmed publisher..This approach represents an alternative technique that provides excellent visualization of the entire anterior thoracic inlet. ..
- Yano T, Okamoto T. [Chest surgery in patients with liver disease]. Kyobu Geka. 2012;65:734-7 pubmed..Furthermore, careful intraoperative procedures are needed for both hemostasis and wound healing. ..
- Collaud S, Pfofe D, Decurtins M, Gelpke H. Mesh-bone cement sandwich for sternal and sternoclavicular joint reconstruction. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;43:643-5 pubmed publisher..The mechanical properties of the construct mimicked those of the original sternoclavicular joints and could therefore restore shoulder strength allowing the patient to perform overhead work. ..
- Schwarze M, Redmann A, Alexander G, Brasel K. Surgeons expect patients to buy-in to postoperative life support preoperatively: results of a national survey. Crit Care Med. 2013;41:1-8 pubmed publisher..3-3.2). Many surgeons will report contracting informally with patients preoperatively about the use of postoperative life support. Recognition of this process and its limitations may help to inform postoperative decision making. ..
- Jones N, Edmonds L, Ghosh S, Klein A. A review of enhanced recovery for thoracic anaesthesia and surgery. Anaesthesia. 2013;68:179-89 pubmed publisherDuring the past decade, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of thoracic surgical procedures carried out in the UK...
- Maillart J, Lacroix V, Camboni A, Poncelet A. Mediastinal teratoma with coexisting parenchymal pulmonary cystic lesion. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96:1081-3 pubmed publisher..We discuss the radiologic differential diagnosis of this atypical double-located thoracic tumor and the surgical strategy for complete excision. ..
- Crisafulli E, Venturelli E, Siscaro G, Florini F, Papetti A, Lugli D, et al. Respiratory muscle training in patients recovering recent open cardiothoracic surgery: a randomized-controlled trial. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:354276 pubmed publisher..The drop-out rate was 6%, without differences between groups. Conclusions. In patients recovering from recent CTS, specific EMT by Respilift is feasible and effective. This trial is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01510275. ..
- Cheng W, Xiao Y, Chen L, Liu H, Zhu Y. Application of lower sternal incision with on-pump, beating heart intracardiac procedures in congenital heart disease. Heart Surg Forum. 2012;15:E236-9 pubmed publisher..Lower sternal incision with beating heart can reduce the surgical injury, simplify the operation procedure, and improve the therapeutic efficacy. It is a safe and effective approach for the treatment of congenital heart disease. ..
- Gray B, Fifer C, Hirsch J, Tochman S, Drongowski R, Mychaliska G, et al. Contemporary outcomes in infants with congenital heart disease and bochdalek diaphragmatic hernia. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;95:929-34 pubmed publisher..Hemodynamic instability and need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation correlate with higher mortality. Although some long-term survivors have excellent outcomes, most suffer from chronic, long-term morbidities. ..
- Humphries C, Anderson J, Flores J, Doty J. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging for perioperative evaluation of sternal eversion for pectus excavatum. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;43:1110-3 pubmed publisher..We recommend CMR as the definitive modality for evaluation of patients with pectus excavatum, as this modality shows that the primary underlying physiological abnormality in pectus excavatum is cardiac compression. ..
- Girard P, Demaria J, Lillo Le Louët A, Caliandro R, Le Guillou J, Crespin M, et al. Transfusions, major bleeding, and prevention of venous thromboembolism with enoxaparin or fondaparinux in thoracic surgery. Thromb Haemost. 2011;106:1109-16 pubmed publisher..17%). In conclusion, in thoracic surgery patients, switching from enoxaparin to fondaparinux to prevent VTE was associated with a significant increase in the risk of postoperative major bleeding. A causal relationship appears plausible. ..
- Endo S, Ikeda N, Kondo T, Nakajima J, Kondo H, Yokoi K, et al. Development of an annually updated Japanese national clinical database for chest surgery in 2014. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;64:569-76 pubmed publisher..The NCD system can sustainably provide important and up-to-date information relating to preoperative status, oncology, and best practice for chest surgery in Japan. ..
- Zaouter C, Wuethrich P, Miccoli M, Carli F. Early removal of urinary catheter leads to greater post-void residuals in patients with thoracic epidural. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2012;56:1020-5 pubmed publisher..207 min ± 122, P < 0.0001). In the presence of TEA, the removal of the bladder catheter on the morning after surgery leads to a transient impairment of the lower urinary tract function with no need for re-catheterisation. ..
- Ergin A, Nasr G, Yared J, Bena J, Nasr C. Glycemic control with use of insulin glargine after cardiothoracic surgery: a retrospective study. Endocr Pract. 2013;19:485-93 pubmed publisher..However, there was no significant difference in BG control between the glargine-SSI and SSI-only groups. Prospective studies involving more patients are needed to show possible clinically significant benefits of this intervention. ..