second look surgery
Summary: A followup operation to examine the outcome of the previous surgery and other treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Prat A, Parera M, Peralta S, Perez Benavente M, Garcia A, Gil Moreno A, et al. Nadir CA-125 concentration in the normal range as an independent prognostic factor for optimally treated advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Ann Oncol. 2008;19:327-31 pubmed..0001). The Cox model showed a highly significant impact on PFS and OS in relation to CA-125 nadir levels. The CA-125 nadir value is a strong independent prognostic factor for optimally treated adEOC after achieving a complete response. ..
- Le T, Shahriari P, Hopkins L, Faught W, Fung Kee Fung M. Prognostic significance of tumor necrosis in ovarian cancer patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and interval surgical debulking. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16:986-90 pubmed..97, 95% CI 1.01-3.87, P= 0.048). The estimated median survival was 50.66 months (95% CI 46.12-55.20). The lack of or minimal tumor necrosis after neoadjuvant chemotherapy is an independent risk factor for recurrent disease...
- Atik O, Uslu M, Eksioglu F. Osteochondral multiple autograft transfer (OMAT) for the treatment of cartilage defects in the knee joint. Bull Hosp Jt Dis. 2005;63:37-40 pubmed..Long-term follow-up with more patients and histological and biomechanical evaluation of chondral interfaces are the subjects of our continuing study. ..
- Freeman A, Graham J. Damage control surgery and angiography in cases of acute mesenteric ischaemia. ANZ J Surg. 2005;75:308-14 pubmed..Definitive surgery is then considered after 2-3 days. This approach is particularly attractive if immediate specialist vascular expertise is not available. ..
- Isonishi S. [Latest information in the diagnoses of ovarian carcinoma]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2002;29:1351-7 pubmed..The best selection for adjuvant chemotherapy is still controversial and a large number of studies are now ongoing. ..
- Quinby J, Golish S, Hart J, Diduch D. All-inside meniscal repair using a new flexible, tensionable device. Am J Sports Med. 2006;34:1281-6 pubmed..The RapidLoc has an acceptable intermediate-term clinical healing rate in patients undergoing concurrent anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Predictive variables for failure should be considered during operative decision making. ..
- Luckie M, Khattar R, Fraser D. Non-cardiac surgery and antiplatelet therapy following coronary artery stenting. Heart. 2009;95:1303-8 pubmed publisher..The available evidence to guide decision-making in the management of antiplatelet therapy in this setting is reviewed. ..
- Tachibana Y, Sakaguchi K, Goto T, Oda H, Yamazaki K, Iida S. Repair integrity evaluated by second-look arthroscopy after arthroscopic meniscal repair with the FasT-Fix during anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:965-71 pubmed publisher..Eighty-three percent of menisci were symptom-free regardless of meniscal integrity. Even when the menisci repaired are asymptomatic and considered to be a clinical success, however, there may be newly formed injuries. ..
- Hollander A, Dickinson S, Sims T, Soranzo C, Pavesio A. Quantitative analysis of repair tissue biopsies following chondrocyte implantation. Novartis Found Symp. 2003;249:218-29; discussion 229-33, 234-8, 239-41 pubmed..This new approach will allow a more accurate assessment of the quality of cartilage repair tissue than histological analysis alone. ..
- Cheong Y, Shelton J, Laird S, Li T, Ledger W, Cooke I. Peritoneal fluid concentrations of matrix metalloproteinase-9, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1, and transforming growth factor-beta in women with pelvic adhesions. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:1168-75 pubmed..The components of extracellular matrix remodeling may play an important part in the adhesion formation/reformation process. ..
- Romagnuolo J. Routine second look endoscopy: ineffective, costly and potentially misleading. Can J Gastroenterol. 2004;18:401-4 pubmed..Finally, the Forrest classification may provide dangerously misleading estimates of prognosis because it is being used out of context. This review critically analyzes routine second look endoscopy. ..
- Imai A, Sugiyama M, Furui T, Takahashi S, Tamaya T. Gonadotrophin-releasing hormones agonist therapy increases peritoneal fibrinolytic activity and prevents adhesion formation after myomectomy. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2003;23:660-3 pubmed..GnRHa-induced shift to more fibrinolytic activity, mainly because of a decreased level of PAI, may play a critical role in the mechanism of the GnRHa's action on postoperative adhesion development. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Review of a personal experience in the management of carcinomatosis and sarcomatosis. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2001;31:573-83 pubmed..Adjuvant phase III studies with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy in diseases where peritoneal surface spread occurs are indicated. ..
- Ayoubi J, Fanchin R. Ectopic pregnancy: which side to operate?. Lancet. 2003;362:1183 pubmed
- Nelson P, Bourgeois K, Nicotri T, Chiu E, Poole J. Sclerosing sweat duct carcinoma in a 6-year-old African American child. Pediatr Dermatol. 2008;25:38-42 pubmed publisher..We report a rare instance of sclerosing sweat duct carcinoma occurring in a 6-year-old African American child and review the literature of this infrequently observed neoplasm...
- Debby A, Levy T, Hayat H, Brenner Y, Glezerman M, Menczer J. Whole-abdomen, single-dose consolidation radiotherapy in patients with pathologically confirmed complete remission of advanced ovarian epithelial carcinoma: a long-term survival analysis. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2004;14:794-8 pubmed..These results seem to suggest that a collaborative, prospective, randomized multiarm study is indicated to solve the controversial issue of consolidation therapy. ..
- Wang Y. Staged second-look laparoscopy to evaluate ischemic bowel. JSLS. 2009;13:560-3 pubmed publisher..This technique provides an easy solution for the intraoperative finding of questionable blood supply in the intestines. ..
- Shergill N, Chan W, Arya N, Damani N. Pre-admission clinic: a pain in the neck. Hosp Med. 2004;65:757 pubmed
- Younis R. The pros and cons of second-look sinonasal endoscopy after endoscopic sinus surgery in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;131:267-9 pubmed
- Matsunaga D, Akizuki S, Takizawa T, Yamazaki I, Kuraishi J. Repair of articular cartilage and clinical outcome after osteotomy with microfracture or abrasion arthroplasty for medial gonarthrosis. Knee. 2007;14:465-71 pubmed..However, there was no difference of the clinical outcome within 5 years after surgery, so the clinical utility of marrow stimulation techniques was not apparent in this study. ..
- Nelson M, Aravind B, Davies C, Sullivan B, Tayton K, Stephenson B. Obturator hernioplasty: a new operative approach and technique of repair. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2003;85:61-2 pubmed
- Sawicki S, Wydra D, Kobierski J, Milczek T, Emerich J. Analysis of the results and long-term follow-up of second-look laparotomy in advanced ovarian cancer. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2009;30:422-5 pubmed..The probable explanation for favorable prognosis in the group with microscopic disease was early administration of chemotherapy after SLL. ..
- Vaidya A, Curtin J. The follow-up of ovarian cancer. Semin Oncol. 2003;30:401-12 pubmed..It is difficult to justify an aggressive approach to follow-up of the asymptomatic patient given the lack of sensitivity of available diagnostic methods and the limitations of current second-line chemotherapy regimens. ..
- Hammerle C, Jung R, Yaman D, Lang N. Ridge augmentation by applying bioresorbable membranes and deproteinized bovine bone mineral: a report of twelve consecutive cases. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008;19:19-25 pubmed..05, Wilcoxon's matched pairs signed-rank test). After a healing period of 9-10 months, the combination of DBBM and a collagen membrane is an effective treatment option for horizontal bone augmentation before implant placement. ..
- Sugarbaker P. Local-regional approach to diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 2007;31:780-1 pubmed
- Marudanayagam R, Singhal R, Tanchel B, O Connor B, Balasubramanian B, Paterson I. Effect of cavity shaving on reoperation rate following breast-conserving surgery. Breast J. 2008;14:570-3 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cavity shavings during primary BCS significantly reduce the re-excision rate to ensure microscopic clearance. ..
- Lujber L, Pytel J. Second-look endoscopy during percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy by passing a laryngofiberscope through the inserted feeding tube. Endoscopy. 2003;35:885 pubmed
- Gliatis J, Kouzelis A, Panagopoulos A, Lambiris E. Chondral injury due to migration of a Mitek RapidLoc meniscal repair implant after successful meniscal repair: a case report. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2005;13:280-2 pubmed..All orthopaedic surgeons using these new devices should be aware of the possibility of chondral damage of the adjacent femoral condyles. ..
- Raney B, Stoner J, Anderson J, Andrassy R, Arndt C, Brown K, et al. Impact of tumor viability at second-look procedures performed before completing treatment on the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Group protocol IRS-IV, 1991-1997: a report from the children's oncology group. J Pediatr Surg. 2010;45:2160-8 pubmed publisher..Disappearance of tumor (CR) usually correlated with no viable tumor at SLP. However, 41% of patients without CR had no viable tumor. Those without viable tumor had increased FFS but not survival compared to those with viable tumor. ..
- Ayhan A, Taskiran C, Yigit Celik N, Gultekin M, Tuncer S, Guler N, et al. Topotecan as a second-line therapy in patients with ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer: initial response and long-term follow-up. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2006;27:603-6 pubmed..In a subgroup of patients with positive second-look laparotomy topotecan was also associated with long median survival duration. ..
- Arai Y, Hara K, Takahashi T, Urade H, Minami G, Takamiya H, et al. Evaluation of the vascular status of autogenous hamstring tendon grafts after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in humans using magnetic resonance angiography. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2008;16:342-7 pubmed publisher..The revascularisation of the bone tunnels could play an important role in the healing of the ligament-bone tunnel junction. ..
- Adachi N, Motoyama M, Deie M, Ishikawa M, Arihiro K, Ochi M. Histological evaluation of internally-fixed osteochondral lesions of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009;91:823-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that articular cartilage regenerates after fixation of an unstable lesion in osteochondritis dissecans. ..
- Tatebe M, Horii E, Nakao E, Shinohara T, Imaeda T, Nakamura R, et al. Repair of the triangular fibrocartilage complex after ulnar-shortening osteotomy: second-look arthroscopy. J Hand Surg Am. 2007;32:445-9 pubmed..This study investigated whether the avascular zone of the TFCC has any potential for repair, and whether repair of the torn disc proper correlates with clinical findings...
- Neale E. Abdominal hysterectomy after insertion of tension-free vaginal tape. BJOG. 2002;109:731-2 pubmed
- Ayhan A, Gultekin M, Dursun P, Dogan N, Aksan G, Guven S, et al. Predictors and outcomes of recurrent disease after a negative second look laparotomy. J Surg Oncol. 2008;97:226-30 pubmed..Most of the recurrences develop during the initial 2 years following the (-) SLL and survival drops to less than 2 years once a recurrence is found. ..
- D Ugo D, Pende V, Persiani R, Rausei S, Picciocchi A. Laparoscopic staging of gastric cancer: an overview. J Am Coll Surg. 2003;196:965-74 pubmed
- Tacconi F, Pompeo E, Forcella D, Marino M, Varvaras D, Mineo T. Lung volume reduction reoperations. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008;85:1171-7 pubmed publisher..54, p = 0.03). Lung volume reduction reoperations can offer significant clinical improvement to stringently selected patients who have lost the clinical benefit achieved after lung volume reduction surgery. ..
- Ferland R, Mulani D, Campbell P. Evaluation of a sprayable polyethylene glycol adhesion barrier in a porcine efficacy model. Hum Reprod. 2001;16:2718-23 pubmed..Polyethylene glycol (SprayGel) merits further investigation as an effective barrier to the formation of post-operative adhesions in this porcine model. ..
- Ohwada M, Izumi A, Fujiwara H, Suzuki M. [Maximal cytoreductive surgery in patients with advanced ovarian cancer for improving the prognosis]. Nihon Rinsho. 2004;62 Suppl 10:535-9 pubmed
- Kabukcuoglu S, Ozalp S, Oner U, Bildirici K, Yalcin O, Oge T, et al. Actin bundling protein fascin expression in ovarian neoplasms: comparison of histopathologic features of tumors obtained by the first and secondary cytoreduction surgeries. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2006;27:123-8 pubmed..Further studies with close follow-up of patients are necessary to reveal the role of fascin on matrix degradation mechanisms which might be the cause of the recurrences in ovarian neoplasms. ..
- Chu C, Rubin S. Second-look laparotomy for epithelial ovarian cancer: a reappraisal. Curr Oncol Rep. 2001;3:11-8 pubmed..Prospective, randomized, controlled trials are needed to evaluate the various therapies available. In general, the performance of SLL should be confined to those patients enrolled in clinical trials. ..
- Singhal P, Odunsi K, Rodabaugh K, Driscoll D, Lele S. Primary fallopian tube carcinoma: a retrospective clinicopathologic study. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2006;27:16-8 pubmed..Fallopian tube malignancies are rare and carry a poor prognosis. More extensive research needs to be performed to have definitive etiologic, diagnostic and treatment guidelines. ..
- Russo A, Cirelli G, Cassese E, Delli Ponti D, Sgambato R, Cecere F, et al. [Second-look in ovarian cancer: laparoscopy or laparotomy?]. Minerva Ginecol. 2001;53:146-54 pubmed
- Ho S, Kveton J. Efficacy of the 2-staged procedure in the management of cholesteatoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003;129:541-5 pubmed..A planned 2-stage procedure that uses the posterior tympanotomy approach for the control of cholesteatoma is an effective technique. This approach offers significant potential for hearing preservation and restoration. ..
- Mason B, Koi P, Hafron J, Milhoua P, Hoenig D. Safety and efficacy of synchronous percutaneous nephrostolithotomy and contralateral ureterorenoscopy for bilateral calculi. J Endourol. 2008;22:889-93 pubmed publisher..The approach allows patients to return to normal activity within the same time period as those having a unilateral approach and to be free of stone without a need for a second, staged procedure. ..
- Burgdorf S, Adamsen S, Rosenberg J. [Routine second look endoscopy after bleeding ulcers]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2008;170:1556-9 pubmed..Studies have questioned this and suggest that SLE decreases the risk of re-bleeding, but do not reduce mortality. Since SLE is debated and a recent national survey found a variable practice, the evidence has been reviewed critically. ..
- Samuel M, Capps S. Staged proximal hypospadias repair: Modified thiersch duplay with midline incision in urethral plate followed by Mathieu urethroplasty. J Pediatr Surg. 2002;37:104-7 pubmed..5 +/- 42.9 minutes and total mean duration of hospital stay was 3.4 +/- 0.6 days. Staged urethroplasty for proximal hypospadias results in a normal penis with good function, minimal complications, and excellent cosmesis. ..
- Cianti C. [Treatment of ovarian cancer]. Clin Ter. 2002;153:135-44 pubmed..Future research should include new drugs or new combination regimens to improve clinical outcomes and overall survival. ..
- Greer B, Bundy B, Ozols R, Fowler J, Clarke Pearson D, Burger R, et al. Implications of second-look laparotomy in the context of optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a non-randomized comparison using an explanatory analysis: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 2005;99:71-9 pubmed..0 month (SLL: 23.9 months; No SLL: 22.9 months). The survival rate curves are superimposable. In the context of a non-randomized comparison, the performance of a SLL was not associated with longer survival. ..
- Henderson I, Francisco R. Treatment outcome of extensor realignment for patellofemoral dysfunction. Knee. 2005;12:323-8 pubmed..We conclude that extensor realignment surgery with a combined proximal and distal realignment procedure is a reliable technique for patellofemoral pain secondary to malalignment. ..
- Kishimoto T, Imamura H, Kawabata R, Fukunaga M, Ohzato H, Furukawa H. [Three scirrhous gastric cancer cases with CY negativity in second-look staging laparoscopy after chemotherapy to whom curative surgery was carried out]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2009;36:2306-8 pubmed..The wall thickness of stomach improved after 5 courses. In all cases, CY and P negativity was confirmed in second-look staging laparoscopy and curative surgery was carried out. ..
- Voloshin I, DeHaven K, Steadman J. Second-look arthroscopic observations after radiofrequency treatment of partial thickness articular cartilage defects in human knees: report of four cases. J Knee Surg. 2005;18:116-22 pubmed..No attempt was made to stimulate cartilage regeneration (ie, abrasion or microfracture) in any of these cases. ..