transcatheter aortic valve replacement
Summary: Surgical treatment for severe AORTIC VALVE STENOSIS. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is used as an alternative option in patients who are deemed at high risk or inoperable for traditional open-heart surgery.
- Hawkins R, Downs E, Johnston L, Mehaffey J, Fonner C, Ghanta R, et al. Impact of Transcatheter Technology on Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement Volume, Outcomes, and Cost. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:1815-1823 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) represents a disruptive technology that is rapidly expanding in use. We evaluated the effect on surgical aortic valve replacement (SAVR) patient selection, outcomes, volume, and cost...
- Lip G, Windecker S, Huber K, Kirchhof P, Marin F, ten Berg J, et al. Management of antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation patients presenting with acute coronary syndrome and/or undergoing percutaneous coronary or valve interventions: a joint consensus document of the European Society of Cardiology Working Grou. Eur Heart J. 2014;35:3155-79 pubmed publisher
- Chamandi C, Puri R, Rodriguez Gabella T, Rodes Cabau J. Latest-Generation Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Devices and Procedures. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1082-1090 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a well-established treatment for patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis who are at high or prohibitive surgical risk...
- Giannini F, Ruparelia N, del Furia F, Romano V, Ancona M, Mangieri A, et al. A Novel Technique for Prosthetic Valve Retrieval After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Embolization. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:951.e1-951.e3 pubmed publisher..We also describe a mechanism of left coronary artery systolic perfusion with diastolic backflow, which led to myocardial ischemia. ..
- Shimura T, Yamamoto M, Kano S, Kagase A, Kodama A, Koyama Y, et al. Impact of the Clinical Frailty Scale on Outcomes After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Circulation. 2017;135:2013-2024 pubmed publisher..aim of the current study was to determine the prognostic value of CFS in patients who underwent transcatheter aortic valve replacement. We utilized the OCEAN (Optimized Catheter Valvular Intervention) Japanese multicenter registry to ..
- Bagur R, Solo K, Alghofaili S, Nombela Franco L, Kwok C, Hayman S, et al. Cerebral Embolic Protection Devices During Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Stroke. 2017;48:1306-1315 pubmed publisher..There was only very low quality of evidence showing no significant differences between patients undergoing TAVI with or without EPD with respect to clinically evident stroke and mortality. ..
- Webb J, Mack M, White J, Dvir D, Blanke P, Herrmann H, et al. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Within Degenerated Aortic Surgical Bioprostheses: PARTNER 2 Valve-in-Valve Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2253-2262 pubmed publisherEarly experience with transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) within failed bioprosthetic surgical aortic valves has shown that valve-in-valve (VIV) TAVR is a feasible therapeutic option with acceptable acute procedural results...
- Hernandez Vaquero D, Pascual I, Diaz R, Alvarez Cabo R, Moris C, Silva J. How to Perform a Late Surgical Explantation of a CoreValve Aortic Bioprothesis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:e565-e566 pubmed publisher..We describe here an adequate surgical strategy for the explantation of a CoreValve prosthesis that was implanted more than 5 years previously. ..
- Thongprayoon C, Cheungpasitporn W, Thamcharoen N, Ungprasert P, Kittanamongkolchai W, Mao M, et al. Association of frailty status with acute kidney injury and mortality after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177157 pubmed publisherFrailty is a common condition in patients with severe aortic stenosis (AS) undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)...
- Regev E, Finkelstein A, Assali A, Barbash I, Fefer P, Ben Shoshan J, et al. Comparison of Outcome of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation for Severe Aortic Stenosis in 3 Age Groups (?70; 71 to 80, and ?81 Years). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1607-1611 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the 1-year mortality of these patients was significantly lower than in older patients. ..
- Yurek L, Jakub K, Menacho M. Severe Symptomatic Aortic Stenosis in Older Adults: Pathophysiology, Clinical Manifestations, Treatment Guidelines, and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR). J Gerontol Nurs. 2015;41:8-13 pubmed publisher..advances in miniaturization and catheter technologies provide a new and less invasive approach: transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)...
- Braxton J, Rasmussen K, Shah M. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: A Review. Surg Clin North Am. 2017;97:899-921 pubmed publisherPatients with inoperable, high-risk, and intermediate-risk aortic stenosis can now be treated with transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Food and Drug Administration selectively choose ..
- Elattar M, Vink L, van Mourik M, Baan J, Vanbavel E, Planken R, et al. Dynamics of the aortic annulus in 4D CT angiography for transcatheter aortic valve implantation patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184133 pubmed publisher..In our measurements, only the dynamic variation of the annulus area is dependent on the severity of the aortic calcification. For TAVI candidates, the annulus area is significantly larger in mid-systole compared to end-diastole. ..
- Sherev D, Azizi K, Azimi N, Van Nordheim S, Moreno Cabral R. Delayed Management of Partial Aortic Valve Avulsion After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e17-e18 pubmed publisherWe report a case of delayed treatment of a partial aortic valve leaflet avulsion during transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and its successful management by a percutaneous snare retrieval technique...
- Auffret V, Becerra Munoz V, Loirat A, Dumont E, Le Breton H, Paradis J, et al. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Versus Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in Lower-Surgical-Risk Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1863-1868 pubmed publisher..Future studies should further investigate whether TAVI is associated with reduced respiratory complications, comparing transfemoral TAVI recipients treated with local anesthesia with their SAVR counterparts. ..
- Levi A, Landes U, Assali A, Orvin K, Sharony R, Vaknin Assa H, et al. Long-Term Outcomes of 560 Consecutive Patients Treated With Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation and Propensity Score-Matched Analysis of Early- Versus New-Generation Valves. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1821-1831 pubmed publisher..Intermediate- and long-term hemodynamics are excellent. PVL has diminished significantly with the new-generation valves. Efforts to improve long- and short-term outcomes remain a therapeutic challenge. ..
- Fanning J, Walters D, Wesley A, Anstey C, Huth S, Bellapart J, et al. Intraoperative Cerebral Perfusion Disturbances During Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1564-1568 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement entails profound and unavoidable hemodynamic perturbations that may contribute to the neurological injury associated with the procedure...
- Liebetrau C, Kim W, Meyer A, Arsalan M, Gaede L, Blumenstein J, et al. Identification of Periprocedural Myocardial Infarction Using a High-Sensitivity Troponin I Assay in Patients Who Underwent Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1180-1186 pubmed publisher..Our new TAVI-specific reference values yield a more realistic estimation of the myocardial ischemic risk. hs-cTnI, however, does not seem to be the biomarker of choice for MI detection in this setting. ..
- McNeely C, Zajarias A, Robbs R, Markwell S, Vassileva C. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Outcomes in Nonagenarians Stratified by Transfemoral and Transapical Approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:1808-1814 pubmed publisherSurvival and other outcomes of nonagenarians undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in the Medicare population are unclear...
- Casset C, Jankowski A, Bertrand B, Saunier C, Piliero N, Rodiere M, et al. Evaluation of Imaging Strategy to Optimize and Improve Outcome of Transcatheter Aortic Valvular Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1633-1638 pubmed publisher..6; all-cause death 16% vs. 4%, p?=?0.34; no stroke). In conclusion, the use of cardiac CT in addition to ultrasound data in THV size selection reduced the long-term occurrence of cardiovascular events. ..
- Keßler M, Gonska B, Seeger J, Rottbauer W, Wohrle J. Predictors of permanent pacemaker implantation after transfemoral aortic valve implantation with the Lotus valve. Am Heart J. 2017;192:57-63 pubmed publisher..In patients with severe aortic stenosis receiving transfemoral Lotus valve, preexisting AV block first degree, RBBB, and implantation depth are independent predictors of PPMI, highlighting the importance of careful valve positioning. ..
- Auffret V, Lefevre T, Van Belle E, Eltchaninoff H, Iung B, Koning R, et al. Temporal Trends in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in France: FRANCE 2 to FRANCE TAVI. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:42-55 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is standard therapy for patients with severe aortic stenosis who are at high surgical risk...
- Elbaz Greener G, Zivkovic N, Arbel Y, Radhakrishnan S, Fremes S, Wijeysundera H. Use of Two-Dimensional Ultrasonographically Guided Access to Reduce Access-Related Complications for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:918-924 pubmed publisher..complications have been associated with increased mortality and morbidity in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)...
- Telila T, Akintoye E, Ando T, Merid O, Mallikethi Reddy S, Briasoulis A, et al. Incidence and Outcomes of Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:300-303 pubmed publisher..001). In conclusion, among patient who underwent TAVR, HIT was associated with higher risk of in-hospital mortality, venous thrombosis/pulmonary embolism, acute kidney injury, prolonged hospital stay, and increased cost. ..
- Stundl A, Lünstedt N, Courtz F, Freitag Wolf S, Frey N, Holdenrieder S, et al. Soluble ST2 for Risk Stratification and the Prediction of Mortality in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:986-993 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, sST2 is independently associated with adverse outcome after TAVI but was not superior to NT-proBNP or surgical risk scores for the prediction of postprocedural outcomes. ..
- Rohrer B, Penick E, Zahedi F, Tighiouart H, Kelly B, Cobey F, et al. Comparison of forced-air and water-circulating warming for prevention of hypothermia during transcatheter aortic valve replacement. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178600 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) procedures at our institution were complicated by perioperative hypothermia despite use of the standard of care forced-air convective warming device (the BairHugger, Augustine Medical Inc, ..
- Thongprayoon C, Cheungpasitporn W, Srivali N, Kittanamongkolchai W, Sakhuja A, Greason K, et al. The association between renal recovery after acute kidney injury and long-term mortality after transcatheter aortic valve replacement. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183350 pubmed publisher..status at hospital discharge after acute kidney injury (AKI) and long-term mortality following transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)...
- Rodriguez Gabella T, Voisine P, Puri R, Pibarot P, Rodes Cabau J. Aortic Bioprosthetic Valve Durability: Incidence, Mechanisms, Predictors, and Management of Surgical and Transcatheter Valve Degeneration. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1013-1028 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we provide an overview of bioprosthetic valve durability, focusing on the definition, incidence, mechanisms, predictive factors, and management of structural degeneration of aortic bioprostheses. ..
- Mojoli M, Gersh B, Barioli A, Masiero G, Tellaroli P, D Amico G, et al. Impact of atrial fibrillation on outcomes of patients treated by transcatheter aortic valve implantation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am Heart J. 2017;192:64-75 pubmed publisher..Compared to pre-existing AF, new-onset AF correlates with higher risk of early stroke and major bleedings. Improved management of AF in the TAVI setting, including tailored antithrombotic treatment strategies, remains a relevant need. ..
- Zhang S, Kolominsky Rabas P. How TAVI registries report clinical outcomes-A systematic review of endpoints based on VARC-2 definitions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180815 pubmed publisher..Reporting TAVI-outcome uniformly makes study result comparison feasible. This definitely will increase patient safety, additionally to provide sufficient evidence to support decision makers like regulatory bodies, HTA agencies, payers. ..
- Ruiz C, Hahn R, Berrebi A, Borer J, Cutlip D, Fontana G, et al. Clinical Trial Principles and Endpoint Definitions for Paravalvular Leaks in Surgical Prosthesis: An Expert Statement. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2067-2087 pubmed publisherThe VARC (Valve Academic Research Consortium) for transcatheter aortic valve replacement set the standard for selecting appropriate clinical endpoints reflecting safety and effectiveness of transcatheter devices, and defining single and ..
- Andrews J, Cruden N, Moss A. Progressive breathlessness following transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Heart. 2017;103:1703 pubmed publisher..Which aetiology best explains this presentation?Pannus formationTranscatheter bioprosthetic valve endocarditisPatient-prosthesis mismatchTranscatheter bioprosthetic valve leaflet thrombosisStructural valve degeneration. ..
- Midha P, Raghav V, Sharma R, Condado J, Okafor I, Rami T, et al. The Fluid Mechanics of Transcatheter Heart Valve Leaflet Thrombosis in the Neosinus. Circulation. 2017;136:1598-1609 pubmed publisher..4-dimensional, volume-rendered CT data of patients with CoreValve, Evolut R, and SAPIEN 3 transcatheter aortic valve replacement enrolled in the RESOLVE study (Assessment of Transcatheter and Surgical Aortic Bioprosthetic Valve ..
- Spadaccio C, Nappi F, Sablayrolles J, Sutherland F. TAVR vs SAVR: Rising Expectations and Changing Indications for Surgery in Response to PARTNER II. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;29:8-11 pubmed publisher..Considerations on the parallel progress of SAVR and on the need for a behavioral change in the surgical community are discussed. ..
- Wendt D, Kahlert P, Canbay A, Knipp S, Thoenes M, Cremer G, et al. Impact of Liver Indicators on Clinical Outcome in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1357-1364 pubmed publisher..There are currently no data evaluating liver function in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). We aimed therefore to evaluate our TAVR results in regard to liver function...
- Cigala E, Monteforte I, Piro O, Monda V, Capozzolo C, Bonzani G. [Lotus Sadra valve implantation complicated by type B aortic dissection: diagnosis and treatment]. G Ital Cardiol (Rome). 2017;18:325-328 pubmed publisher..The onset of procedural complications, often unpredictable, suggests the need for more extensive knowledge of materials and techniques, in particular with respect to endovascular treatment of the aortic and iliac-femoral district. ..
- Blanke P, Pibarot P, Hahn R, Weissman N, Kodali S, Thourani V, et al. Computed Tomography-Based Oversizing Degrees and Incidence of Paravalvular Regurgitation of a New Generation Transcatheter Heart Valve. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:810-820 pubmed publisher..The PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves [PARTNER II]; NCT01314313). ..
- Thirumala P, Muluk S, Udesh R, Mehta A, Schindler J, Mulukutla S, et al. Carotid artery disease and periprocedural stroke risk after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Ann Card Anaesth. 2017;20:145-151 pubmed publisher..Preoperative screening with carotid Doppler to identify high-risk patients appears to be warranted. In addition, patients of female gender were found to have an increased risk for carotid disease. ..
- Barker C, Reardon M. Should TAVR Replace Surgery for Aortic Stenosis in Low- to Intermediate-Risk Patients?. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1124-1128 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) was initially envisioned as a less invasive option for patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis who either were not candidates or were very high-risk candidates for surgical aortic ..
- Rogers T, Torguson R, Bastian R, Corso P, Waksman R. Feasibility of transcatheter aortic valve replacement in low-risk patients with symptomatic severe aortic stenosis: Rationale and design of the Low Risk TAVR (LRT) study. Am Heart J. 2017;189:103-109 pubmed publisherSafety and effectiveness of transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in low-risk patients with symptomatic severe aortic stenosis have not yet been established...
- Millan Iturbe O, Sawaya F, Bieliauskas G, Chow D, De Backer O, Søndergaard L. Acute Aortic Arch Perforation During Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in Bicuspid Aortic Stenosis and a Gothic Aortic Arch. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1206.e1-1206.e3 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) has evolved from a novel technology to an established therapy for high/intermediate-risk patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis (AS)...
- Holmes D, Mack M. Aortic Valve Bioprostheses: Leaflet Immobility and Valve Thrombosis. Circulation. 2017;135:1749-1756 pubmed publisher..Given the expansion of transcatheter aortic valve procedures, including potentially lower-risk patients, the resolution of these uncertainties is critical. ..
- Toppen W, Johansen D, Sareh S, Fernandez J, Satou N, Patel K, et al. Improved costs and outcomes with conscious sedation vs general anesthesia in TAVR patients: Time to wake up?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173777 pubmed publisherb>Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) has become a commonplace procedure for the treatment of aortic stenosis in higher risk surgical patients...