Summary: Minimally invasive procedures, diagnostic or therapeutic, performed within the BLOOD VESSELS. They may be perfomed via ANGIOSCOPY; INTERVENTIONAL MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING; INTERVENTIONAL RADIOGRAPHY; or INTERVENTIONAL ULTRASONOGRAPHY.
- Aketa S, Wajima D, Kishi M, Morisaki Y, Yonezawa T, Nakagawa I, et al. Endovascular Therapy for the Steal Phenomenon due to the Innominate Artery Severe Stenosis and Bilateral Internal Carotid Artery Severe Stenosis. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:1040.e1-1040.e5 pubmed publisher..Stent replacement for these lesions can be performed safely with the right approach and protection methods, even when the only accessible route is the right brachial artery. ..
- Slovut D, Gray B, Saiar A, Bates M. Evidence-based medicine and contemporary certification: Analysis of the American Board of Vascular Medicine endovascular board examination. Vasc Med. 2017;22:337-342 pubmed publisher..COR and LOE analysis yielded notably different results. Use of alternate classification schema may be powerful tools for improving certification exams in healthcare. ..
- Shuto T, Miyamoto S. [Challenge of Treating Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysms with Hybrid Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair]. Kyobu Geka. 2017;70:299-303 pubmed..Abdominal debranching and TEVAR were performed as a 2-stage procedure. Hybrid repair of a thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm is a good option for elderly, high-risk patients because the early and late results are acceptable. ..
- Shinoda N, Hori S, Mikami K, Bando T, Shimo D, Kuroyama T, et al. Utility of relative ADC ratio in patient selection for endovascular revascularization of large vessel occlusion. J Neuroradiol. 2017;44:185-191 pubmed publisher..043) or the first NIHSS score (r=-0.277). The relative ADC ratio may be useful for predicting DWI reversibility and post-reperfusion hemorrhagic transformation, even in patients with an unknown time of onset. ..
- Varcoe R. Combination therapy for complex peripheral artery disease: the evidence for combining mechanical revascularization with anti-restenotic drug delivery systems. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2017;58:722-730 pubmed publisher..Herein we seek to describe and evaluate the growing number of options for combination treatment in this challenging disease. ..
- Roy I, Millen A, Jones S, Vallabhaneni S, Scurr J, McWilliams R, et al. Long-term follow-up of fenestrated endovascular repair for juxtarenal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1020-1027 pubmed publisher..Significant numbers of secondary interventions are required, but the majority of these can be performed using an endovascular approach. ..
- Gargiulo M, Gallitto E, Wattez H, Verzini F, Bianchini Massoni C, Loschi D, et al. Outcomes of endovascular aneurysm repair performed in abdominal aortic aneurysms with large infrarenal necks. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1065-1072 pubmed publisher..In this subgroup of patients, main body oversizing >15% and suprarenal sealing should be considered. ..
- Pokrovsky A, Ignatyev I, Gradusov E. First Experience of Performing Hybrid Operations in Chronic Venous Obstructions of Iliofemoral Segments in Patients With Postthrombotic Syndrome. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:447-452 pubmed publisher..Median Villalta scores improved from 15 to 7 ( P = .012). The first experience of hybrid operations for obstructive lesions of veins of the iliofemoral segments demonstrated their high efficacy and safety. ..
- Klein L, Huelster J, Adil U, Rischall M, Brunette D, Kempainen R, et al. Endovascular rewarming in the emergency department for moderate to severe accidental hypothermia. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1624-1629 pubmed publisher..The endovascular temperature control system was not associated with an increased rate of rewarming in this cohort with moderate to severe hypothermia; however, this technique appears to be safe and feasible. ..
- Feng X, Wang L, Guo E, Zhang B, Qian Z, Liu P, et al. Progressive Occlusion and Recanalization After Endovascular Treatment for 287 Unruptured Small Aneurysms (<5mm): A Single-Center 6-Year Experience. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:576-583 pubmed publisher..Anatomic results of initial and follow-up between small (3-5 mm) and very small (<3 mm) groups were similar. Smaller size (<3 mm), without complete occlusion, may relate to recanalization. ..
- Wong R, Yu P, Kwok M, Chow S, Ho J, Underwood M, et al. Endovascular Fenestration for Distal Aortic Sealing After Frozen Elephant Trunk With Thoraflex. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;103:e479-e482 pubmed publisher..Our case illustrated a possible way to seal distal reentry in chronic type B aortic dissection. ..
- Nauta F, Kim J, Patel H, Peterson M, Eckstein H, Khoynezhad A, et al. Early Outcomes of Acute Retrograde Dissection From the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;29:150-159 pubmed publisher..A subset of patients with acute retrograde AD originating from primary tear in the descending aorta might be managed less invasively with acceptable early results, particularly among those with proximal extension limited to the arch. ..
- Takata M, Fukuda H, Kinosada M, Miyake K, Murao K. Use of Simple Neck Extension to Improve Guiding Catheter Accessibility in Tortuous Cervical Internal Carotid Artery for Endovascular Embolization of Intracranial Aneurysm: A Technical Note. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:529-533 pubmed publisher..As the need for safe and highly skilled intervention increases, our technique may be useful because it can reduce procedure-related complications and allow balloon-assisted techniques. ..
- Ramírez Senent B, Abadal J, Vazquez E, Lago I, Gálvez E, Araujo M, et al. Endovascular Management of a Giant High-Flow Lower Limb Arteriovenous Malformation. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:572-576 pubmed publisher..No complications were documented in any of the sessions. Endovascular therapy could be a safe and effective option for AVM as long as it includes not only feeding vessels embolization but also complete occlusion of the nidus. ..
- Chun Y, Cho S, Clark W, Wagner W, Gu X, Tevar A, et al. A retrievable rescue stent graft and radiofrequency positioning for rapid control of noncompressible hemorrhage. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:249-255 pubmed publisher..In addition, this study demonstrates the feasibility of RF tags to guide stent placement through tissue. More rigorous models are needed to define the effectiveness of this approach in the setting of vascular injury and shock. ..
- Jinnouchi H, Inoue K, Soga Y, Tomoi Y, Kobayashi Y, Hiramori S, et al. Pathology of Neointimal Calcification in Very Late Restenosis After Bare Metal Stent Implantation for Superficial Femoral Artery. Int Heart J. 2017;58:641-644 pubmed publisher..Therefore, balloon angioplasty in the very late phase of in-stent restenosis potentially results in underexpansion. ..
- Vogel T, Smith J, Kruse R. The association of postoperative glycemic control and lower extremity procedure outcomes. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1123-1132 pubmed publisherThe effect of postoperative hyperglycemia in patients undergoing open and endovascular procedures on the lower extremities has not been fully characterized with regard to associated admission diagnoses, hospital complications, mortality, ..
- Robinson W, Loretz L, Hanesian C, Flahive J, Bostrom J, Lunig N, et al. Society for Vascular Surgery Wound, Ischemia, foot Infection (WIfI) score correlates with the intensity of multimodal limb treatment and patient-centered outcomes in patients with threatened limbs managed in a limb preservation center. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:488-498.e2 pubmed publisher..04). Revascularization was performed in 106 limbs (39%), with equal use of open and endovascular procedures. Over a median follow-up of 209 days (interquartile range, 95, 340) days, 1-year Kaplan-Meier wound ..
- Meyermann K, Trani J, Caputo F, Lombardi J. Descending thoracic aortic mural thrombus presentation and treatment strategies. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:931-936 pubmed publisher..Although endovascular therapy may be a useful first-line option for TAMT with reports of positive outcomes in select literature, further study of this treatment option is required. ..
- Shibata E, Takao H, Amemiya S, Ohtomo K. 3D-Printed Visceral Aneurysm Models Based on CT Data for Simulations of Endovascular Embolization: Evaluation of Size and Shape Accuracy. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:243-247 pubmed publisher..eight women and three men; mean age, 61 years; range, 53-72 years) whose aneurysms were embolized via endovascular procedures were included in this study...
- Imai H, Ohashi N, Yoshida T, Okamoto T, Kitamura N, Tanaka T, et al. Intraoperative Detection of Persistent Endoleak by Detecting Residual Spontaneous Echocardiographic Contrast in the Aneurysmal Sac During Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:417-420 pubmed publisher..001) and at 6 months postoperatively (40.0% vs 2.5%, respectively; P < .001). Intraoperative confirmation of the absence of SEC may identify patients at low risk for persistent endoleaks after thoracic endovascular aortic repair. ..
- Karthaus E, Lijftogt N, Busweiler L, Elsman B, Wouters M, Vahl A, et al. Textbook Outcome: A Composite Measure for Quality of Elective Aneurysm Surgery. Ann Surg. 2017;266:898-904 pubmed publisher..To investigate a new composite quality measurement, which comprises a desirable outcome for elective aneurysm surgery, called "Textbook Outcome" (TO)...
- Chang R, Fox E, Greene T, Eastridge B, Gilani R, Chung K, et al. Multicenter retrospective study of noncompressible torso hemorrhage: Anatomic locations of bleeding and comparison of endovascular versus open approach. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:11-18 pubmed publisher..58; 95% confidence interval, 0.46-0.73). Although ENDO may reduce mortality in NCTH patients, significant group differences limit the generalizability of this finding. Therapeutic, level V. ..
- Ferral H, Alonzo M. Transjugular venous approach for endovascular intervention in upper-extremity dialysis access fistulae and grafts. Semin Vasc Surg. 2016;29:206-211 pubmed publisher..If intervention is unsuccessful, the transjugular access offers the possibility of placement of a dialysis catheter for temporary or long-term dialysis. ..
- Hong J, Sohn S, Kwak J, Yoo J, Chang H, Kwon O, et al. Dose-Dependent Effect of Statin Pretreatment on Preventing the Periprocedural Complications of Carotid Artery Stenting. Stroke. 2017;48:1890-1894 pubmed publisher..18; 95% CI, 0.05-0.69). This study shows that statin pretreatment may reduce the incidence of periprocedural complications dose dependently in patients with symptomatic carotid artery stenting. ..
- Zhao E, Liu W, Zhang Y, Cheng G, Du Y, He L, et al. Safety and efficacy of Cardi-O-fix occluder for percutaneous closure of a patent foramen ovale: A single-center prospective study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6572 pubmed publisher..The efficacy and safety of the Cardi-O-fix occluder were comparable to those of the Amplatzer PFO occluder. ..
- Vidale S, Agostoni E. Endovascular Treatment of Ischemic Stroke: An Updated Meta-Analysis of Efficacy and Safety. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:215-219 pubmed publisher..These findings are relevant for the optimization of the acute stroke management, including the implementation of networks between stroke centers. ..
- Titus J, Cragg A, Alden P, Alexander J, Manunga J, Stephenson E, et al. A prospective randomized comparison of contralateral snare versus retrograde gate cannulation in endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:387-391 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that one should consider an alternative method of gate cannulation if it has not been accomplished within this time. ..
- Kirkpatrick A, Mckee J, McBeth P, Ball C, LaPorta A, Broderick T, et al. The Damage Control Surgery in Austere Environments Research Group (DCSAERG): A dynamic program to facilitate real-time telementoring/telediagnosis to address exsanguination in extreme and austere environments. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:S156-S163 pubmed publisher
- Gal Oz A, Wolf Y, Rosen G, Sharon H, Schwartz I, Chernin G. When the chimney is blocked: malignant renovascular hypertension after endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14:71 pubmed publisher..Physicians should be aware that the novel emerging techniques of EVAR to overcome the limitations of the aortic-neck anatomy may still adversely influence the renal outcome with potential development of new-onset hypertension. ..
- Khoynezhad A, Toluie S, Al Atassi T. Treatment of the Chronic Type B Aortic Dissection: The Pro-endovascular Argument. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;29:131-136 pubmed publisher..Herein, we discuss the evidence in the literature highlighting TEVAR's safety and efficacy in this setting. ..
- Rafii Tari H, Payne C, Bicknell C, Kwok K, Cheshire N, Riga C, et al. Objective Assessment of Endovascular Navigation Skills with Force Sensing. Ann Biomed Eng. 2017;45:1315-1327 pubmed publisher..Data relating to the forces exerted during endovascular procedures and the behavioral patterns of endovascular clinicians is currently limited...
- Goldsmith L, Wiebke K, Seal J, Brinster C, Smith T, Bazan H, et al. Complications after endovascular treatment of hepatic artery stenosis after liver transplantation. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1488-1496 pubmed publisher..Acute vessel injury can be managed successfully using endovascular techniques, but these patients have a significant risk of subsequent HAT and need close surveillance. ..
- Mulder M, Ergezen S, Lingsma H, Berkhemer O, Fransen P, Beumer D, et al. Baseline Blood Pressure Effect on the Benefit and Safety of Intra-Arterial Treatment in MR CLEAN (Multicenter Randomized Clinical Trial of Endovascular Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke in the Netherlands). Stroke. 2017;48:1869-1876 pubmed publisher..Our data provide no arguments to withhold or delay IAT based on BP. URL: http://www.isrctn.com. Unique identifier: ISRCTN10888758. ..
- van Noort K, Schuurmann R, Wermelink B, Slump C, Kuijpers K, de Vries J. Fluid displacement from intraluminal thrombus of abdominal aortic aneurysm as a result of uniform compression. Vascular. 2017;25:542-548 pubmed publisher..Fluid displacement may result in decrease of ILT volume during and after EVAS, which might have implications on pre-EVAS volume planning and on stability of the endobags during follow-up which may lead to migration, endoleak or both. ..
- Tasselli S, Perini P, Paini E, Milan L, Bonvini S. Use of a Thoracic Endograft in an Acute Abdominal Aortic Setting: Case Report and Literature Review. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:493-497 pubmed publisher..In hostile proximal abdominal aortic neck, challenging anatomies, or urgent cases, the structural adaptability of thoracic endografts could provide safe and successful abdominal aortic endovascular exclusion. ..
- Heger M, van Golen R, Broekgaarden M, van den Bos R, Neumann H, van Gulik T, et al. Endovascular laser–tissue interactions and biological responses in relation to endovenous laser therapy. Lasers Med Sci. 2014;29:405-22 pubmed..The molecular biology underlying the chemotactic signaling and subsequent obliterative remodeling is elucidated. Finally, the relative contribution of every biochemical trigger to obliterative remodeling is addressed. ..
- Pearce B, Scali S, Beck A. The role of surgeon modified fenestrated stent grafts in the treatment of aneurysms involving the branched visceral aorta. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2017;58:861-869 pubmed publisher..Surgeon modified endovascular aneurysm repair (SM-EVAR) is able to overcome many of these constraints and expands this technology to more patients with excellent short term results in select centers. ..
- Bennett K, Scarborough J. Carotid artery stenting is associated with a higher incidence of major adverse clinical events than carotid endarterectomy in female patients. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:794-801 pubmed publisher..01 [95% confidence interval, 1.01-7.77]; P = .04) in the CEA group. Our analysis of a "real-world" clinical registry suggests that CAS may be inferior to CEA in female patients who require carotid artery revascularization. ..
- Baek J, Kim B, Yoo J, Nam H, Kim Y, Kim D, et al. Predictive Value of Computed Tomography Angiography-Determined Occlusion Type in Stent Retriever Thrombectomy. Stroke. 2017;48:2746-2752 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, among the 3 rapidly- and readily-assessable pre-procedural findings, CTA-determined branching-site occlusion had the greatest predictive power for SR success. ..
- Lok C, Rajan D, Clement J, Kiaii M, Sidhu R, Thomson K, et al. Endovascular Proximal Forearm Arteriovenous Fistula for Hemodialysis Access: Results of the Prospective, Multicenter Novel Endovascular Access Trial (NEAT). Am J Kidney Dis. 2017;70:486-497 pubmed publisher..The endoAVF can be successfully used for hemodialysis and demonstrated high 12-month cumulative patencies. It may be a viable alternative option for achieving AVFs for hemodialysis patients in need of vascular access. ..
- Sevick L, Ghali S, Hill M, Danthurebandara V, Lorenzetti D, Noseworthy T, et al. Systematic Review of the Cost and Cost-Effectiveness of Rapid Endovascular Therapy for Acute Ischemic Stroke. Stroke. 2017;48:2519-2526 pubmed publisher..From the cost-effectiveness studies, EVT seems to be good value for money when a threshold of $50â€‰000 per quality-adjusted life year gained is adopted. ..
- Farber M, Eagleton M, Mastracci T, McKinsey J, Vallabhaneni R, Sonesson B, et al. Results from multiple prospective single-center clinical trials of the off-the-shelf p-Branch fenestrated stent graft. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:982-990 pubmed publisher..Long-term follow-up is needed to assess the effectiveness and durability of this treatment strategy and to refine the indications for use. ..
- Sidloff D, Saratzis A, Sweeting M, Michaels J, Powell J, Thompson S, et al. Sex differences in mortality after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in the UK. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1656-1664 pubmed publisher..Women have a higher in-hospital mortality rate than men after elective AAA repair even after adjustment. This higher mortality may have an impact on the benefit offered by any screening programme offered to women. ..
- Kawamura Y, Sayama T, Maehara N, Nishimura A, Iihara K. Ruptured Aneurysm of an Aberrant Internal Carotid Artery Successfully Treated with Simultaneous Intervention and Surgery in a Hybrid Operating Room. World Neurosurg. 2017;102:695.e1-695.e5 pubmed publisher..This is the first case report of an aICA complicated by pseudoaneurysm formation successfully treated with simultaneous endovascular trapping and high-flow bypass in a hybrid operating room. ..
- Kalra K, Arya S. A comparative review of open and endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repairs in the national operative quality improvement database. Surgery. 2017;162:979-988 pubmed publisher..In this review, we use the National Surgical Quality Improvement Project database to critically review complications, mortality, and morbidity associated with endovascular and open abdominal aneurysmal repair. ..