Summary: Pumping that aids the natural activity of the heart. (Dorland, 27th ed)
- Walters W, Wydro G, Hollander T, Brister N. Transport of the ventricular assist device-supported patient: a case series. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2005;9:90-7 pubmed
- Leonard R. Perfusion reborn. Artif Organs. 2002;26:490-1 pubmed
- Acher C. It is not just assisted circulation, hypothermic arrest, or clamp and sew. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;140:S136-41; discussion S142-S146 pubmed publisher..88% required permanent dialysis. These results were achieved without the use of assisted circulation. We have reattached intercostal arteries since 2005 using preoperative magnetic resonance angiographic ..
- Richenbacher W. Latest developments in the field of assisted circulation. ASAIO J. 2005;51:xv-xx pubmed..I also want the reader to understand that I have no financial interest in any of the device manufacturing companies to which I will refer. ..
- Leonard R. What about the rest of the patients?. Artif Organs. 2005;29:289-91 pubmed
- Wu Y. Adaptive physiological speed/flow control of rotary blood pumps in permanent implantation using intrinsic pump parameters. ASAIO J. 2009;55:335-9 pubmed publisher..The results show that the designed controller can be applicable for rotary blood pumps whose pump pressure rise can be measured or derived from pump intrinsic parameters. ..
- Lapanashvili L, Buziashvili Y, Matskeplishvili S, Lobjanidze T, Yoshina V, Kamardinov D, et al. Therapeutic value of muscular counterpulsation after coronary bypass grafting operation. J Card Surg. 2009;24:134-40 pubmed publisher..The use of MCP decreases postoperative complications and significantly shortens the hospital stay. ..
- Masai T, Taniguchi K, Kuki S, Endo S, Yoshida K, Yamamoto K, et al. Gastric intramucosal pH during lower body circulatory arrest under open distal anastomosis with selective cerebral perfusion in aortic arch repair. ASAIO J. 2001;47:548-51 pubmed..These results suggest that intraoperative monitoring of pHi may be useful for the evaluation of visceral organ ischemia during OD in arch replacement and may contribute to improved technique for circulatory assistance in aortic surgery. ..
- Anstadt M, Anstadt G, Lowe J. Direct mechanical ventricular actuation: a review. Resuscitation. 1991;21:7-23 pubmed..This review summarizes laboratory and clinical applications of DMVA. ..
- Asaumi Y, Yasuda S, Morii I, Kakuchi H, Otsuka Y, Kawamura A, et al. Favourable clinical outcome in patients with cardiogenic shock due to fulminant myocarditis supported by percutaneous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Eur Heart J. 2005;26:2185-92 pubmed..Once a patient recovers from inflammatory myocardial damage, the subsequent clinical outcome is favourable, similar to that observed in patients with acute non-fulminant myocarditis. ..
- Holman W, Pae W, Teutenberg J, Acker M, Naftel D, Sun B, et al. INTERMACS: interval analysis of registry data. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;208:755-61; discussion 761-2 pubmed publisher..As more devices achieve US FDA approval, INTERMACS will become useful for comparing MCSDs. ..
- Sobieski M, Giridharan G, Ising M, Koenig S, Slaughter M. Blood trauma testing of CentriMag and RotaFlow centrifugal flow devices: a pilot study. Artif Organs. 2012;36:677-82 pubmed publisher..The RotaFlow device may be a more cost-effective alternative to the CentriMag. ..
- Murashige T, Sakota D, Kosaka R, Nishida M, Kawaguchi Y, Yamane T, et al. Plasma Skimming in a Spiral Groove Bearing of a Centrifugal Blood Pump. Artif Organs. 2016;40:856-66 pubmed publisher..Hematocrit decreased on the ridge region in the SGB and plasma skimming occurred with a bearing gap of less than 30 ?m in the hydrodynamically levitated centrifugal blood pump. ..
- del Cañizo J, Rodríguez Martínez D, Perez Caballero R, Quintana B, Ruiz Fernandez M. Low-cost pulsatile cardiac assist device with compliant input chamber. Artif Organs. 2010;34:136-40 pubmed publisher..Clip valves and all other functions of the device are controlled by means of a computerized console. The use of clip valves reduces the cost of the disposable part of the device. ..
- Strauch J, Spielvogel D, Haldenwang P, Correa R, deAsla R, Seissler P, et al. Recent improvements in outcome with the Novacor left ventricular assist device. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2003;22:674-80 pubmed
- Sumikura H, Toda K, Takewa Y, Tsukiya T, Ohnuma K, Sasagawa M, et al. Development and hydrodynamic evaluation of a novel inflow cannula in a mechanical circulatory support system for bridge to decision. Artif Organs. 2011;35:756-64 pubmed publisher..The Lantern cannula demonstrated superior hydrodynamic characteristics as the inflow cannula in terms of pressure loss due to its specially designed Lantern shape. ..
- Maruyama O, Tomari Y, Sugiyama D, Nishida M, Tsutsui T, Yamane T. Simple in vitro testing method for antithrombogenic evaluation of centrifugal blood pumps. ASAIO J. 2009;55:314-22 pubmed publisher..The HH2 pump generated thrombi during a 1.5-hour ex vivo test, and the test was terminated. We expect this in vitro testing method to be useful for undertaking evaluations before animal experiments. ..
- Matsui Y, Shimura S, Suto Y, Fukase S, Tanaka A, Sasaki S. A novel femoral arterial cannula to prevent limb ischemia during cardiopulmonary support: preliminary report of experimental and clinical experiences. Artif Organs. 2006;30:557-60 pubmed..There was no blood leakage from the percutaneous entry into the artery in all cases. We currently use this cannula as the first choice for patients undergoing a prolonged CPS. ..
- Kotani Y, Honjo O, Ishino K, Osaki S, Kuroko Y, Kawabata T, et al. Advantages of temporary venoatrial shunt using centrifugal pump during bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt. ASAIO J. 2006;52:549-51 pubmed..The centrifugal pump-assisted temporary shunt offered safer and more effective circulatory support than other shunt systems, with excellent venous drainage in pediatric patients undergoing BCPS. ..
- Tatou E, Gomez M, Leneuf P, Eicher J, Jazayeri S, Charve P, et al. [Cardiogenic shock complicating extensive infarction with ventricular septal defect. Circulatory assistance and heart transplantation]. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 2001;94:236-40 pubmed..This case poses the problem of cardiac assist devices and their daily monitoring, and then that of cardiac transplantation in this indication. ..
- Han Q, Zou J, Ruan X, Fu X, Yang H. A novel design of spiral groove bearing in a hydrodynamically levitated centrifugal rotary blood pump. Artif Organs. 2012;36:739-46 pubmed publisher..CFD and comparison results show that the new designs have superior load/flow characteristics. However, the impact of SGB designs upon hemolysis/thrombus formation is still to be verified according to the concept presented. ..
- Jacobs J, O Brien S, Chai P, Morell V, Lindberg H, Quintessenza J. Management of 239 patients with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and related malformations from 1993 to 2007. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008;85:1691-6; discussion 1697 pubmed publisher..The majority of patients with HLHS and related malformations can undergo successful staged palliation with risk that varies according to several documented anatomic and patient-specific variables. ..
- Kalangos A. Transaortic inflow and outflow cannula for centrifugal mechanical assistance. Artif Organs. 2000;24:757-60 pubmed
- Chen X, He X, Zhang Y, Qian Y, Liang L, Fang D, et al. [Establishment of a pig model of chronic ally enhanced external counterpulsation]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2006;26:613-4 pubmed..The pig model of chronic external counterpulsation has been successfully established. Combined use of sodium pentobarbital and 846 mixture is recommended for chronic external counterpulsation. ..
- Matsuda H, Fukushima N. [Heart transplantation]. Nihon Rinsho. 2002;60 Suppl 1:703-9 pubmed
- Rossano J, Chang A. Perioperative management of patients with poorly functioning ventricles in the setting of the functionally univentricular heart. Cardiol Young. 2006;16 Suppl 1:47-54 pubmed
- Leprince P, Combes A, Bonnet N, Espinosa T, Levasseur J, Léger P, et al. [Fulminating myocarditis: myocardial recovery after circulatory assistance]. Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 2002;95:305-9 pubmed..In the best series, about half the patients were weaned off the circulatory assistance without having to undergo cardiac transplantation. However, the potential recovery of myocardial function is difficult to predict. ..
- Liotta D. Early clinical application of assisted circulation. Tex Heart Inst J. 2002;29:229-30 pubmed
- Pepino P, Oliviero P, Petteruti F, Di Tommaso L, Monaco M, Stassano P. Left heart pump-assisted beating heart coronary surgery in high-risk patients. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2008;16:159-61 pubmed..All patients underwent complete and successful myocardial revascularization (3.4 grafts per patient). Weaning from the pump was uncomplicated, and none required conversion to full cardiopulmonary bypass. ..
- Griffin M, Hines R. Management of perioperative ventricular dysfunction. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2001;15:90-106 pubmed
- Wang J, Xiao F, Zhang M, Song N, Tao L, Cui H, et al. [Circulation assist in the radical operation of retro-peritoneal malignancy with the inferior vena cava thrombotic involvement]. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2002;40:127-9 pubmed..According to the various types of tumor thrombi, individualized and technically feasible circulation assist mode should be utilized to achieve the satisfactory outcomes. ..
- Choi H, Lee H, Choi J, Lee J, Nam K, Park J, et al. Optimal moving angle of pusher plate in occlusive-type pulsatile blood pump. Artif Organs. 2010;34:554-60 pubmed publisher..The longer lifetime of the blood sac at 60 degrees of the PPM (297.0 h) than that at 50 degrees (197.6 h) was attributed to the lower SIF value (-0.13, normalized value) at 60 degrees of the PPM. ..
- Smedira N, Hoercher K, Yoon D, Rajeswaran J, Klingman L, Starling R, et al. Bridge to transplant experience: factors influencing survival to and after cardiac transplant. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;139:1295-305, 1305.e1-4 pubmed publisher..Early transplant, which avoids infection, sensitization, and neurologic complications, may improve bridge and transplant survival. ..
- Song G, Chua L, Lim T. Numerical study of a bio-centrifugal blood pump with straight impeller blade profiles. Artif Organs. 2010;34:98-104 pubmed publisher..94%, which has the same order of magnitude as those of the clinical centrifugal pumps reported in the literature. ..
- von Segesser L, Fischer A, Vassalli G, Jeanrenaud X, Gersbach P, Seydoux C, et al. [Surgical options for terminal heart failure]. Rev Med Suisse. 2005;1:1432-7 pubmed
- Acher C, Wynn M. A modern theory of paraplegia in the treatment of aneurysms of the thoracoabdominal aorta: An analysis of technique specific observed/expected ratios for paralysis. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:1117-24; discussion 1124 pubmed publisher..reduce reperfusion injury, and enhance the collateral perfusion of the spinal cord with or without assisted circulation. Using an accurate predictive model (r(2) > 0...
- Amaral F, Egger C, Steinseifer U, Schmitz Rode T. Differences between blood and a Newtonian fluid on the performance of a hydrodynamic bearing for rotary blood pumps. Artif Organs. 2013;37:786-92 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is crucial to consider the effective blood viscosity when designing hydrodynamic bearings for RBPs and performing experiments. ..
- Brown J, Gottlieb S. Acute decompensated heart failure. Cardiol Clin. 2012;30:665-71 pubmed publisher..Decreasing the length of hospitalization can increase readmission rate, so optimization of inpatient and outpatient care is essential. ..
- Throckmorton A, López Isaza S, MOSKOWITZ W. Dual-pump support in the inferior and superior vena cavae of a patient-specific fontan physiology. Artif Organs. 2013;37:513-22 pubmed publisher..5%. These results suggest that concurrent, mechanical assistance of the inferior vena cava and superior vena cava in Fontan patients has the potential to be beneficial, but additional studies are needed to further explore this approach. ..
- Hsu P, McIntyre M, Boehning F, Dang W, Parker J, Autschbach R, et al. In-Series Versus In-Parallel Mechanical Circulatory Support for the Right Heart: A Simulation Study. Artif Organs. 2016;40:561-7 pubmed publisher..This study concluded that in-series support was able to produce effective afterload reduction and preserve the valve functionality and native blood flow pattern, eliminating complications associated with in-parallel support. ..
- Natale J, D Alecy L. Continued circulatory support: effect of epinephrine or dopamine on 24-hour survival and neurologic function in dogs. Resuscitation. 1989;17:273-86 pubmed..Therefore, continued vasopressor support with dopamine rather than epinephrine may be justified in the setting of cardiac resuscitation. ..
- Egnaczyk G, Milano C, Rogers J. Clinical trials in mechanical circulatory support. Heart Fail Clin. 2011;7:457-66 pubmed publisherRecent advances in mechanically assisted circulation, including refinement of patient selection criteria and enhancements in device design, have been associated with improvements in survival, functionality and quality of life as well as ..
- Suzuki Y, Yoshida I, Ku Y, Fujino Y, Tanioka Y, Fukumoto T, et al. Safety of portal vein resection using centrifugal pump-assisted venous bypass between the superior mesenteric vein and the umbilical vein. Hepatogastroenterology. 2004;51:1183-6 pubmed
- Comin Colet J, Munoz Aguilera R, Cuenca Castillo J, Delgado Jiménez J. [Advances in heart failure]. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2009;62 Suppl 1:92-100 pubmed..Novel approaches to the surgical management of patients with heart failure, including new contributions in the field of the circulatory support, are also highlighted in this update. ..
- Ntalianis A, Drakos S, Charitos C, Dolou P, Pierrakos C, Terrovitis J, et al. Effects of intra-aortic balloon pump versus centrifugal pump on myocardial energetics and systemic circulation in a porcine model of rapidly worsening acute heart failure. ASAIO J. 2008;54:600-5 pubmed publisher..However, afterload reduction offered principally by the IABP seems preferable for the recovery of the acutely failing heart. ..
- Boughalem K, Teiger E. [Left ventricular assist devices in the catheterisation laboratory]. Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris). 2007;56:257-62 pubmed
- Burgreen G, Loree H, Bourque K, Dague C, Poirier V, Farrar D, et al. Computational fluid dynamics analysis of a maglev centrifugal left ventricular assist device. Artif Organs. 2004;28:874-80 pubmed..The HeartMate III is shown to exhibit clean flow features and good surface washing across its entire operating range. ..
- Thomas G, Baciewicz F, Hammond R, Greer K, Lu H, Bastion S, et al. Power output of pericardium-lined skeletal muscle ventricles, left ventricular apex to aorta configuration: up to eight months in circulation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998;116:1029-42 pubmed..The purpose of this experiment was to evaluate the potential for a skeletal muscle ventricle connected to the circulation between the left ventricle and the aorta to provide effective, long-term cardiac assist...