Genomes and Genes
Summary: The use of photothermal effects of LASERS to coagulate, incise, vaporize, resect, dissect, or resurface tissue.
- Hark L, Leiby B, Waisbourd M, Myers J, Fudemberg S, Mantravadi A, et al. Adherence to Follow-up Recommendations Among Individuals in the Philadelphia Glaucoma Detection and Treatment Project. J Glaucoma. 2017;26:697-701 pubmed publisher..Future studies could investigate interventions to improve eye exam appointment adherence in community-based settings to detect glaucoma-eye conditions. ..
- Bang S, Joo C, Jun J. Reverse pupillary block after implantation of a scleral-sutured posterior chamber intraocular lens: a retrospective, open study. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:35 pubmed publisher..643?±?0.385 D to?-?0.875?±?0.505 D (P?=?0.016). Concomitant vitrectomy, angle pigmentation, and iridodonesis may be risk factors for RPB after scleral-sutured PC IOL implantation. LPI is effective for relieving the RPB. ..
- Li J, Zhang J, He F, Tang S, Zhu Z, Chen W. [Treatment of glottic cancer involving the anterior commissure by transoral CO(2) laser surgery]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2017;52:337-342 pubmed publisher..788?P?0.375)??5????????84.4%???T1bN0M0???5????????92.6%?T2N0M0???5????????40.0%???????????(Log Rank????(2)?9.504?P?0.002)? ??? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????CO(2)????????????. ..
- Orihuela E, Smith A. Percutaneous treatment of transitional cell carcinoma of the upper urinary tract. Urol Clin North Am. 1988;15:425-31 pubmed..Further, our results suggest that second-look procedures with resection of suspicious residual disease, Nd:YAG laser irradiation of the tumor bed, and intracavitary administration of BCG all appear to help prevent recurrences. ..
- Ebner M, Mariacher S, Januschowski K, Boden K, Seuthe A, Szurman P, et al. Comparison of intraocular pressure during the application of a liquid patient interface (FEMTO LDV Z8) for femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery using two different vacuum levels. Br J Ophthalmol. 2017;101:1138-1142 pubmed publisher..The higher predefined vacuum level (350 mbar vs 420 mbar) resulted in significant higher intracameral IOP. ..
- Mastropasqua L, Toto L, Mastropasqua A, Vecchiarino L, Mastropasqua R, Pedrotti E, et al. Femtosecond laser versus manual clear corneal incision in cataract surgery. J Refract Surg. 2014;30:27-33 pubmed
- Enikeev D, Glybochko P, Alyaev Y, Rapoport L, Vinarov A, Enikeev M, et al. [Current laser technologies for the surgical treatment of prostatic hyperplasia]. Urologiia. 2017;:108-113 pubmed..We also present our experience in using laser surgical techniques in treating patients with prostatic hyperplasia. ..
- Patel R, McMullen P. Neuroprotection in the Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;59:542-548 pubmed publisher..However to date, no compelling efficacy data have been published regarding any pharmacologic or other therapies. Nonetheless the search for effective neuroprotection continues at stroke centers throughout the world. ..
- Senthil Kumar P, Ng Glazier J, Randolph M, Bodugoz Senturk H, Muratoglu O, Kochevar I, et al. An intraluminal stent facilitates light-activated vascular anastomosis. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:S43-S49 pubmed publisher..However, the longer-term presence of the stent at the anastomotic site led to thrombosis in multiple cases. A rapidly dissolvable stent should facilitate a light-activated microvascular anastomosis with excellent long-term patency. ..
- Steuri R, Sattelmayer M, Elsig S, Kolly C, Tal A, Taeymans J, et al. Effectiveness of conservative interventions including exercise, manual therapy and medical management in adults with shoulder impingement: a systematic review and meta-analysis of RCTs. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:1340-1347 pubmed publisher..NSAIDS and corticosteroids are superior to placebo, but it is unclear how these treatments compare to exercise. ..
- Abduljabbar T, Vohra F, Akram Z, Ghani S, Al Hamoudi N, Javed F. Efficacy of surgical laser therapy in the management of oral pigmented lesions: A systematic review. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;173:353-359 pubmed publisherOral pigmentation, especially in the gingiva poses esthetic problems. Laser therapy has been widely used for cosmetic therapy in dentistry...
- Wylde V, Dennis J, Beswick A, Bruce J, Eccleston C, Howells N, et al. Systematic review of management of chronic pain after surgery. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1293-1306 pubmed publisher..included acupuncture, exercise, postamputation limb liner, spinal cord stimulation, further surgery, laser therapy, magnetic stimulation, mindfulness-based stress reduction, mirror therapy and sensory discrimination training...
- Hooshmand J, Vote B. Femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery, technology, outcome, future directions and modern applications. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2017;6:393-400 pubmed publisher..We review FLACS technology and outcomes including detailed analysis of safety, efficacy, cost effectiveness and future prospects using data from the literature and our own published clinical experience. ..
- Baskaran M, Yang E, Trikha S, Kumar R, Wong H, He M, et al. Residual Angle Closure One Year After Laser Peripheral Iridotomy in Primary Angle Closure Suspects. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;183:111-117 pubmed publisher..One year after LPI, >80% of PACS had gonioscopic residual angle closure. Greater baseline iris volume and higher IOP at baseline are independent risk factors for residual gonioscopic angle closure. ..
- Du L, Gao H, Tong J, Chen W, Shan L, Cai X. Comparative Analysis of Laser and Non-Laser Stapes Surgeries. J Int Adv Otol. 2017;13:32-35 pubmed publisher..05; significantly effective: 55.81% vs. 56.73%, p>0.05). The incidence rates of postoperative adverse reactions were not significantly different. The treatment efficacy of laser and surgical treatments for MECHL are similar. ..
- Peng T, Wang Y, Bao X. [Preliminary report on the application of femtosecond laser-assisted anterior capsulotomy in intumescent white cataract surgery]. Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi. 2017;53:281-287 pubmed publisher..31?1.10?2.78?2.90?????2?f????2.50?2.32?2.56?2.18??????????p<0.05?? ??? ????????????????????????????????????iol???????????????????????????????2017?53?281-287?. ..
- Smith A, Orihuela E, Crowley A. Percutaneous management of renal pelvic tumors: a treatment option in selected cases. J Urol. 1987;137:852-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that percutaneous surgery can provide results similar to those of an open conservative operation, although further investigation is needed to determine the ultimate place of this technique. ..
- Uruski P, Aniukiewicz K, Mikuła Pietrasik J, Sosińska P, Tykarski A, Ksiazek K, et al. Endovenous Laser Ablation of Varicose Veins Preserves Biological Properties of Vascular Endothelium and Modulates Proinflammatory Agent Profile More Favorably Than Classic Vein Stripping. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:6167480 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that EVLA preserves better than CVS the functionality of vascular endothelium and modulates better both local and systemic profile of proinflammatory mediators. ..
- Vasquez Perez A, Simpson A, Nanavaty M. Femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery in a public teaching hospital setting. BMC Ophthalmol. 2018;18:26 pubmed publisher..7%)(p?=?0.031). The mobile FLACS system housed in the same operating room increased the surgical duration by 5.2 min. The average VT was 2.51 min, which was lower in comparison to published experience using non-mobile FLACS systems. ..
- Crispin M, Hruza G, Kilmer S. Lasers and Energy-Based Devices in Men. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43 Suppl 2:S176-S184 pubmed publisher..The demand for cosmetic treatments with lasers and energy-based devices has increased among men, but there is a dearth of literature that addresses the approach and treatment of cosmetic male patients...
- Hayata Y, Kato H, Konaka C, Ono J, Takizawa N. Hematoporphyrin derivative and laser photoradiation in the treatment of lung cancer. Chest. 1982;81:269-77 pubmed..One patient with severely atypical squamous metaplasia requested treatment, and complete disappearance of metaplastic atypic was obtained. ..
- Rodríguez Prieto M, González Sixto B, Pérez Bustillo A, Alonso Alonso T, Ortega Valín L, Martínez Valderrábano V, et al. Photodynamic therapy with intralesional photosensitizer and laser beam application: an alternative treatment for nodular basal cell carcinoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67:e134-6 pubmed publisher
- Luo J, Yao P, Li M, Xu G, Zhao J, Tian M, et al. Quantitative analysis of Microdistortions in Bowman's Layer using optical coherence tomography after SMILE among different myopic corrections. J Refract Surg. 2015;31:104-9 pubmed publisher..05). The incidence and range of microdistortions in Bowman's layer detected after SMILE are positively correlated with the myopic correction. High myopia tends to develop more microdistortions in Bowman's layer after SMILE. ..
- Wong T, Patel N, Feiteiro F, Danish S, Hanft S. Lesion Optimization for Laser Ablation: Fluid Evacuation Prior to Laser-Induced Thermal Therapy. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:192-196 pubmed publisher..Cystic fluid evacuation is a promising strategy for optimizing intracranial cystic lesions for MRgLITT. This novel approach may broaden the utility of MRgLITT in the management of various technically demanding lesions. ..
- Brouwer P, Brand R, van den Akker van Marle M, Jacobs W, Schenk B, van den Berg Huijsmans A, et al. Percutaneous laser disc decompression versus conventional microdiscectomy for patients with sciatica: Two-year results of a randomised controlled trial. Interv Neuroradiol. 2017;23:313-324 pubmed publisher..Percutaneous laser disc decompression, as a non-surgical method, could have a place in the treatment arsenal of sciatica caused by contained herniated discs. ..
- Pershing S, Enns E, Matesic B, Owens D, Goldhaber Fiebert J. Cost-effectiveness of treatment of diabetic macular edema. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:18-29 pubmed publisher..The most effective treatment of DME is VEGF inhibitor injections with or without laser treatment. This therapy compares favorably with cost-effective interventions for other conditions. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. ..
- Amram A, Rico G, Kim J, Chintagumpala M, Herzog C, Gombos D, et al. Vitreous Seeds in Retinoblastoma: Clinicopathologic Classification and Correlation. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1540-1547 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the underlying histopathology of vitreous seed types is a fundamental component of classification and may aid in understanding clinical response to treatment. ..
- Diagourtas A, Petrou P, Georgalas I, Oikonomakis K, Giannakouras P, Vergados A, et al. Bleb failure and intraocular pressure rise following Nd: Yag laser capsulotomy. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:18 pubmed publisher..Also close monitoring of the intraocular pressure and assessment of eventual bleb morphology variations in the follow-up period is mandatory. Further studies are needed in order to confirm our findings. ..
- Mehta A, Curtis P, Scalzitti M, Meeker D. The high price of bronchoscopy. Maintenance and repair of the flexible fiberoptic bronchoscope. Chest. 1990;98:448-54 pubmed
- Pujary K, Agarwal A, Balakrishnan R, Bhandarkar A. Laser-assisted management of a symptomatic anterior pharyngeal diverticulum. J Laryngol Otol. 2017;131:930-932 pubmed publisher..The patients were able to swallow during their survival period post treatment. Laser-assisted micro-endoscopic resection is a relatively safe, quick and effective procedure for the management of anterior pharyngeal diverticulum. ..
- Elliott D, Blute M, Patterson D, Bergstralh E, Segura J. Long-term follow-up of endoscopically treated upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma. Urology. 1996;47:819-25 pubmed..Endourologic techniques and the conservative treatment of upper urinary tract TCC is an evolving field and can be safely and effectively used as a first-line treatment for upper tract TCC in selected patients. ..
- Schlessinger J, Gilbert E, Cohen J, Kaufman J. New Uses of AbobotulinumtoxinA in Aesthetics. Aesthet Surg J. 2017;37:S45-S58 pubmed publisher..To this end details are also provided of clinical trials currently listed in the main clinical trials database to highlight research areas of particular interest. ..
- Caballero S, Kent D, Sengupta N, Li Calzi S, Shaw L, Beli E, et al. Bone Marrow-Derived Cell Recruitment to the Neurosensory Retina and Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cell Layer Following Subthreshold Retinal Phototherapy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5164-5176 pubmed publisher..We investigated whether subthreshold retinal phototherapy (SRPT) was associated with recruitment of bone marrow (BM)-derived cells to the neurosensory retina (NSR) and RPE layer...
- Maruko I, Koizumi H, Hasegawa T, Arakawa H, Iida T. Subthreshold 577 nm micropulse laser treatment for central serous chorioretinopathy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184112 pubmed publisher..RPE damage determined by fundus autofluorescence was found in all eyes treated with CL and only one eye treated with SML (P<.01). SML achieved equivalent therapeutic effects as CL but without RPE damage in eyes with CSC. ..
- Ghasemi Falavarjani K, Aghamirsalim M, Abri Aghdam K. Resident-performed neodymium:YAG laser posterior capsulotomy. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017;52:324-330 pubmed publisher..Despite the lower levels of surgical skills, second-year residents could achieve good visual outcomes. The laser parameters and IOL-related complications improved with increasing surgical experience. ..
- Zide B, Swift R. How to block and tackle the face. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998;101:840-51 pubmed..This sequence of bilateral blocks will routinely provide profound full facial anesthesia. Certain groupings of blocks are effective for perioral or periorbital laser surgery. ..
- Murthy A, Dawson A, Gupta D, Spring S, Cordoro K. Utility and tolerability of the long-pulsed 1064-nm neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (LP Nd:YAG) laser for treatment of symptomatic or disfiguring vascular malformations in children and adolescents. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:473-479 pubmed publisher..The LP Nd:YAG laser is a well-tolerated and effective treatment modality for a variety of non-port-wine stain vascular malformations in children. ..
- Tam K, Jeffery C, Sung C. Surgical Management of Supraglottic Stenosis Using Intubationless Optiflow. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:669-672 pubmed publisher..Optiflow is an important new tool in the management of severe supraglottic stenosis. It provides sufficient oxygenation to perform extended apneic surgery and improves endoscopic surgical access in a limited airway. ..
- Kaur M, Sahu S, Sharma N, Titiyal J. Femtosecond Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery in Phakic Intraocular Lens With Cataract. J Refract Surg. 2016;32:131-4 pubmed publisher..Postoperative uncorrected visual acuity was 20/32. The femtosecond laser can be used to create a capsulotomy and nuclear fragmentation through both anterior and posterior chamber PIOLs. ..
- van den Akker van Marle M, Brouwer P, Brand R, Koes B, Van Den Hout W, van Buchem M, et al. Percutaneous laser disc decompression versus microdiscectomy for sciatica: Cost utility analysis alongside a randomized controlled trial. Interv Neuroradiol. 2017;23:538-545 pubmed publisher..Conclusions From a healthcare perspective PLDD, followed by surgery when needed, results in significantly lower 1-year costs than conventional surgery. From a societal perspective PLDD appears to be an economically neutral innovation. ..
- Ferris F, Fine S, Hyman L. Age-related macular degeneration and blindness due to neovascular maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 1984;102:1640-2 pubmed..This is in spite of the fact that neovascular/exudative retinopathy is a relatively infrequent complication of AMD. ..
- Chaowattanapanit S, Silpa Archa N, Kohli I, Lim H, Hamzavi I. Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation: A comprehensive overview: Treatment options and prevention. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:607-621 pubmed publisher..It also describes a PIH model and provides an algorithm for clinical practice along with discussion about the prevention of PIH. ..