Summary: Removal of tissue by vaporization, abrasion, or destruction. Methods used include heating tissue by hot liquids or microwave thermal heating, freezing (CRYOABLATION), chemical ablation, and photoablation with LASERS.
- Kitamura M, Amano Y, Takayama M, Shibuya J, Matsuda J, Sangen H, et al. Usefulness of Non-Anteroseptal Region Left Ventricular Hypertrophy Using Cardiac Magnetic Resonance to Predict Repeat Alcohol Septal Ablation for Refractory Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:124-130 pubmed publisher..ASA is useful for patients with regional hypertrophy in the basal anteroseptal, but not posteroseptal region, and without heart failure requiring diuretics. ..
- Gianni C, Mohanty S, Trivedi C, Di Biase L, Al Ahmad A, Natale A, et al. Alternative Approaches for Ablation of Resistant Ventricular Tachycardia. Card Electrophysiol Clin. 2017;9:93-98 pubmed publisher..This review article describes some of these alternative techniques. ..
- Lyu T, Wang X, Su Z, Shangguan J, Sun C, Figini M, et al. Irreversible electroporation in primary and metastatic hepatic malignancies: A review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6386 pubmed publisher..Unlike the current leading thermal ablation techniques, such as radiofrequency ablation (RFA), microwave ablation (MWA), and cryoablation, IRE requires shorter ..
- Vogl T, Nour Eldin N, Hammerstingl R, Panahi B, Naguib N. Microwave Ablation (MWA): Basics, Technique and Results in Primary and Metastatic Liver Neoplasms - Review Article. Rofo. 2017;189:1055-1066 pubmed publisher..Die MWA von Lebermalignomen scheint Vorteile gegenüber der RF-Ablation zu haben, wie z.B. kürzere Interventionszeit, weniger Schmerzen und weniger „heat sink effect“. Es fehlen jedoch Daten randomisierter Studien.. ..
- Zhang J, Kong L, Jiao Q, Li M, Yu J. Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy in treatment of early-stage non-small cell lung cancer: Unsolved questions and frontiers ahead. Cancer Lett. 2017;401:46-52 pubmed publisher..Finally, witnessing the emergence of proton therapy and immunotherapy, we believe that the future of SABR lay behind these novel forms of treatment. ..
- Sweeney S, Hidalgo A, de Belle J, Keshishian H. Genetic systems for functional cell ablation in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2012;2012:950-6 pubmed publisher..It allows one to analyze the effects of eliminating every cell of a given type within an embryo, and also allows the examination of populations rather than individuals. ..
- Yin S, Miao X, Zhang X, Chen X, Wen H. Environmental temperature affects physiology and survival of nanosecond pulsed electric field-treated cells. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233:1179-1190 pubmed publisher..This work provides an experimental basis for hypothermia and fluid transfusion during nsPEF ablation with anesthesia. ..
- Zhang X, Wang H, Zhou J, Zeng P, Zhao Y, Zhang Y, et al. Efficacy of minimally invasive tonsil surgery for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome in children. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2017;50:e5846 pubmed publisher..05). Minimally invasive tonsil surgery was a safe and effective method for treating OSAHS in children. ..
- Agopian V, Harlander Locke M, Ruiz R, Klintmalm G, Senguttuvan S, Florman S, et al. Impact of Pretransplant Bridging Locoregional Therapy for Patients With Hepatocellular Carcinoma Within Milan Criteria Undergoing Liver Transplantation: Analysis of 3601 Patients From the US Multicenter HCC Transplant Consortium. Ann Surg. 2017;266:525-535 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the effect of pretransplant bridging locoregional therapy (LRT) on hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) recurrence and survival after liver transplantation (LT) in patients meeting Milan criteria (MC)...
- Sorajja P. Alcohol Septal Ablation for Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: A Word of Balance. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:489-494 pubmed publisher..Greater insight into the real-world experience for these therapies and how they should be applied in practice would be gained from mandatory reporting, akin to other multidisciplinary, transcatheter-based therapies. ..
- Cairang Y, Zhang L, Ren B, Ren L, Hou L, Wang H, et al. Efficacy and safety of ultrasound-guided percutaneous microwave ablation for the treatment of hepatic alveolar echinococcosis: A preliminary study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7137 pubmed publisher..MWA is a novel and effective therapeutic method for HAE with a single lesion (diameter?=5?cm). Further studies based on prospective random control trials to confirm our findings are necessary. ..
- Chen Y, Liang L, Fang Y, Wang C, Li L, Jiang T. [Iodine 131 joint radio frequency ablation treatment for child with hyperthyroidism goiter: one case report]. Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2017;46:89-91 pubmed..3 cm×1.7 cm (left) and 2.8 cm×2.0 cm (right). No recurrence was observed during the two and a half years of follow-up. ..
- Kurup A, Morris J, Callstrom M. Ablation of Musculoskeletal Metastases. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:713-721 pubmed publisher..This minimally invasive approach has unique advantages compared with surgery or radiation therapy. ..
- Park W, Maxwell A, Frank V, Primmer M, Collins S, Baird G, et al. Evaluation of a Novel Thermal Accelerant for Augmentation of Microwave Energy during Image-guided Tumor Ablation. Theranostics. 2017;7:1026-1035 pubmed publisher..These results suggest robust augmentation of microwave energy, and may translate into larger ablation zone volumes within biologic tissues. Further work using in vivo techniques is necessary to confirm these findings. ..
- Samim M, Prevoo W, de Wit van der Veen B, Kuhlmann K, Ruers T, van Hillegersberg R, et al. 18F-FDG PET as novel imaging biomarker for disease progression after ablation therapy in colorectal liver metastases. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2017;44:1165-1175 pubmed publisher..The clinical implication of these findings might be the identification of high-risk patients who might benefit most from adjuvant or combined treatment strategies. ..
- Dupré A, Jones R, Díaz Nieto R, Fenwick S, Poston G, Malik H. Curative-intent treatment of recurrent colorectal liver metastases: A comparison between ablation and resection. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1901-1907 pubmed publisher..Although ablation seemed to be associated with a shorter progression-free survival, post-procedure morbidity was significantly lower. The choice between ablation and resection should therefore be made on a personalised basis. ..
- Zanon M, Strieder D, Rubin A, Watte G, Marchiori E, Cardoso P, et al. Use of MDCT to Assess the Results of Bronchial Thermoplasty. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:752-756 pubmed publisher..Our study showed improvement in CT measurements after bronchial thermoplasty, along with Asthma Quality of Life Questionnaire score changes. Thus, MDCT could be useful for imaging evaluation of patients undergoing this treatment. ..
- Suwalski G, Marczewska M, Kaczejko K, Mroz J, Gryszko L, Cwetsch A, et al. Left Atrial Ganglionated Plexi Detection is Related to Heart Rate and Early Recurrence of Atrial Fibrillation after Surgical Ablation. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;32:118-124 pubmed publisher..Preoperative heart rate significantly influenced positive ganglionated plexi detection and number of ablated ganglia. Higher number of detected ganglionated plexi was related with early recurrence of atrial fibrillation. ..
- Bin Traiki T, Fisher O, Valle S, Parikh R, Kozman M, Glenn D, et al. Percutaneous lung ablation of pulmonary recurrence may improve survival in selected patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery for colorectal cancer with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1939-1948 pubmed publisher..Of these, about 1/3 may be eligible for PLAT. PLAT is a valuable treatment option providing good local control and potentially prolongation of overall survival. ..
- Papini E, Pacella C, Hegedus L. Diagnosis of endocrine disease: thyroid ultrasound (US) and US-assisted procedures: from the shadows into an array of applications. Eur J Endocrinol. 2014;170:R133-46 pubmed publisher..In centres with expertise and high patient volume, their use should be considered as first-line treatment alternatives to surgery for selected patients with benign enlarging or symptomatic thyroid lesions. ..
- Tay K, Schulman A, Sze C, Tsivian E, Polascik T. New advances in focal therapy for early stage prostate cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017;17:737-743 pubmed publisher..Areas covered: Current literature on advances in patient selection using imaging, biopsy and biomarkers, ablation techniques and adjuvant treatments for focal therapy are summarized...
- Mouli S, Kurilova I, Sofocleous C, Lewandowski R. The Role of Percutaneous Image-Guided Thermal Ablation for the Treatment of Pulmonary Malignancies. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:740-751 pubmed publisher..Future studies will refine patient selection, procedural technique, and assessment for local recurrence and will evaluate long-term survival. ..
- Edison E, Tariq Shah T, Ahmed H. Focal Ablation of Early-Stage Prostate Cancer: Candidate Selection, Treatment Guidance, and Assessment of Outcome. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:575-585 pubmed publisher..Outcome is assessed by biopsy of the target area, triggered by prostate-specific antigen measurements or MRI imaging, or performed per protocol at 12 months. ..
- Ray P, Amaral J, Hinoul P. Innovation Best Practices in the Medical Device Industry. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017;20:90-93 pubmed publisher..The process undertaken at J&J to acquire a microwave ablation technology and enter the interventional oncology space is a recent case study of these innovation principles and organizational focus in action. ..
- Mugnai G, De Asmundis C, Iacopino S, Ströker E, Longobardi M, De Regibus V, et al. Comparison of the Incidences of Complications After Second-Generation Cryoballoon Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation Using Vitamin K Antagonists Versus Novel Oral Anticoagulants. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:223-229 pubmed publisher..The incidence of adverse events in PV isolation using the second-generation CB with the periprocedural administration of NOACs is not significantly different than VKA treatment. ..
- Drangsholt S, Huang W. Current Trends in Renal Surgery and Observation for Small Renal Masses. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:169-178 pubmed publisher..With continued refinements in treatment options and improvements in ability to risk stratify SRMs, the current treatment trends will likely continue to evolve. ..
- Lehmann H, Deisher A, Takami M, Kruse J, Song L, Anderson S, et al. External Arrhythmia Ablation Using Photon Beams: Ablation of the Atrioventricular Junction in an Intact Animal Model. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..With doses of ?55 Gy, maximal point-doses to coronary arteries could be kept <7Gy, but target conformity of lesions was not fully achieved using this approach. ..
- Zhou W, Uppot R, Feldman A, Arellano R. Percutaneous Image-Guided Thermal Ablation for Multifocal Renal Cell Carcinoma: 10-Year Experience at a Single Center. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:733-739 pubmed publisher..1 years; range, 0.1-9.6 years) were 96% (22/23), 100% (23/23), and 91% (21/23), respectively. CT-guided percutaneous thermal ablation is a safe, effective, and durable treatment intervention for multifocal renal masses. ..
- Tan G, Tunkel D. Control of Pain After Tonsillectomy in Children: A Review. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;143:937-942 pubmed publisher..Cold dissection techniques lead to less pain, but hot techniques remain popular, with less intraoperative blood loss and shorter operative time. Partial (intracapsular) tonsillectomy seems to reduce pain as well. ..
- Barabino M, Gatti A, Santambrogio R, Polizzi M, Luigiano C, Opocher E. Intraoperative Local Ablative Therapies Combined with Surgery for the Treatment of Bilobar Colorectal Liver Metastases. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2743-2750 pubmedTo investigate the role of intraoperative local ablation techniques (LATs) in bilobar colorectal liver metastases (bCRLM)...
- Zhang W, Wang W, Chai W, Luo X, Li J, Shi J, et al. Breast tissue ablation with irreversible electroporation in rabbits: A safety and feasibility study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181555 pubmed publisher..IRE may be a promising technique to locally control breast cancer and to maintain the esthetic of the breast. ..
- Cross B, Parker D, Cookson M. Salvage Surgery After Renal Mass Ablation. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:305-312 pubmed publisher..When patients are deemed appropriate for salvage therapy, most undergo a repeat course of the same ablative modality. Salvage surgery is possible but often complicated by the prior ablative techniques. ..
- Taylor B, Stavropoulos S, Guzzo T. Ablative Therapy for Small Renal Masses. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:223-231 pubmed publisher..Oncologic outcomes are limited by methodology and length of follow-up, but short-term recurrence rates are low. ..
- Woodrum D, Kawashima A, Gorny K, Mynderse L. Prostate cancer: state of the art imaging and focal treatment. Clin Radiol. 2017;72:665-679 pubmed publisher..A contemporary review on prostate mpMRI, MRI-based targeted biopsy, and MRI-guided ablation techniques is presented.
- Elliott P, Anastasakis A, Borger M, Borggrefe M, Cecchi F, Charron P, et al. 2014 ESC Guidelines on diagnosis and management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2014;35:2733-79 pubmed publisher