operative surgical procedures
Summary: Operations carried out for the correction of deformities and defects, repair of injuries, and diagnosis and cure of certain diseases. (Taber, 18th ed.)
- Shokrollahi K. Request for Treatment: the evolution of consent. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2010;92:93-100 pubmed publisher..It may also provide a simple method by which Gillick competence can be assessed and documented. RFT forms are available for download at www.rft.org.uk. ..
- Steib A, Barre J, Mertes M, Morel M, Nathan N, Ozier Y, et al. Can oral vitamin K before elective surgery substitute for preoperative heparin bridging in patients on vitamin K antagonists?. J Thromb Haemost. 2010;8:499-503 pubmed publisher..In addition, one-third of patients on VKAs were exposed to a risk of bleeding (overdose) or thrombosis (underdose), thus highlighting the need for new oral anticoagulants. ..
- Kjaergaard J, Bay Nielsen M, Kehlet H. Mortality following emergency groin hernia surgery in Denmark. Hernia. 2010;14:351-5 pubmed publisher..Delay to admission, diagnosis and surgery are common in patients undergoing emergency groin hernia surgery in Denmark. Patients admitted with acute abdominal symptoms should be examined for a hernia and operated on soon after admission. ..
- Chen X, Thee C, Gruenewald M, Wnent J, Illies C, Hoecker J, et al. Comparison of surgical stress index-guided analgesia with standard clinical practice during routine general anesthesia: a pilot study. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:1175-83 pubmed publisher..01). Recovery times were comparable between groups. No patient reported intraoperative recall. SSI-guided anesthesia resulted in lower remifentanil consumption, more stable hemodynamics, and a lower incidence of unwanted events. ..
- Quick J. Developing communication in informed consent. J Perioper Pract. 2010;20:108-12 pubmed..Practitioners involved in these roles require highly developed communication skills (Church 2008a). This article examines the philosophy of risk communication and explores the often complex skill of communication in informed consent. ..
- Ganzberg S, Kramer K. The use of local anesthetic agents in medicine. Dent Clin North Am. 2010;54:601-10 pubmed publisher..Both ester and amide local anesthetics are routinely used in medical practice. This article reviews the types and uses of local anesthesia in anesthesiology. ..
- Dick A, Schwaiger M, Jambor C. [Thromboelastography/-metry and external quality control. Results of a pilot study]. Hamostaseologie. 2010;30:91-5 pubmed..Regular participation in an external quality assurance will help to confirm this beneficial technology in emergency settings. ..
- Calleja A, Dommaraju S, Gaddam R, Cha S, Khandheria B, Chaliki H. Cardiac risk in patients aged >75 years with asymptomatic, severe aortic stenosis undergoing noncardiac surgery. Am J Cardiol. 2010;105:1159-63 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, intermediate-to-low-risk noncardiac surgery for patients with severe, asymptomatic AS can be performed relatively safely. Intraoperative hypotension was frequent and required prompt and aggressive treatment. ..
- Eggli Y, Halfon P, Meylan D, Taffe P. Surgical safety and hospital volume across a wide range of interventions. Med Care. 2010;48:962-71 pubmed publisher..It may be more efficient to monitor risk-adjusted postoperative outcomes and to investigate facilities with worse than expected outcomes. ..
- Brown N, Zenilman M. The impact of frailty in the elderly on the outcome of surgery in the aged. Adv Surg. 2010;44:229-49 pubmed..This in hand, recognition of frailty can occur in a timely fashion to initiate treatment, decreasing the risk of morbidity and mortality for improved surgical outcomes. ..
- Campbell D, Kubus J, Henke P, Hutton M, Englesbe M. The Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative: a legacy of Shukri Khuri. Am J Surg. 2009;198:S49-55 pubmed publisher..The improved quality was likely the result of diverse process measures, many not yet recognized in the literature, which came together effectively in specific hospitals. ..
- Sanna M, Fois P, Pasanisi E, Russo A, Bacciu A. Middle ear and mastoid glomus tumors (glomus tympanicum): an algorithm for the surgical management. Auris Nasus Larynx. 2010;37:661-8 pubmed publisher..Glomus tumors are slow-growing benign lesions and represent the most common primary neoplasms of the middle ear. The objective of the present study is to report our surgical strategy in the management of glomus tympanicum tumors...
- Williams F, Bergin J. Cardiac screening before noncardiac surgery. Surg Clin North Am. 2009;89:747-62, vii pubmed publisher..beta-Blocker therapy has become controversial in light of recent publications but should be continued in patients already on therapy, and started in patients with high cardiac risk undergoing intermediate- or high-risk surgery. ..
- Peters C, Eisenach J. Contribution of the chemokine (C-C motif) ligand 2 (CCL2) to mechanical hypersensitivity after surgical incision in rats. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:1250-8 pubmed publisher..The long-term effects of anti-CCL2 treatment correlate with reduced microglial activation. Spinal blockade of CCL2 may serve as a useful therapy for the treatment of certain aspects of postoperative pain. ..
- Tarakji B, Nassani M. Survey of opinions on the management of pleomorphic adenoma among United Kingdom oral and maxillofacial surgeons. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg. 2010;20:129-36 pubmed..Surgery combined with radiotherapy is the preferred option in the case of multinodular recurrence, and surgery alone is recommended in the case of a solitary recurrence. ..
- Barros L, Ferreira R, Barraviera S, Stolf H, Thomazini Santos I, Mendes Giannini M, et al. A new fibrin sealant from Crotalus durissus terrificus venom: applications in medicine. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2009;12:553-71 pubmed publisher..The effectiveness of this new fibrin sealant is reviewed and its development and employment are described. ..
- Lew V, Lalwani K, Palermo T. Factors affecting parental satisfaction following pediatric procedural sedation. J Clin Anesth. 2010;22:29-34 pubmed publisher..A site in our institution was associated with significantly lower satisfaction as a result of inadequate space and privacy. ..
- Mainik F, Quast G, Flade Kuthe R, Kuthe A, Schroedl F. The preperitoneal loop in inguinal hernia repair following the totally extraperitoneal technique. Hernia. 2010;14:361-7 pubmed publisher..As no mesothel was found, the origin of pl might be the deeper sheet of transversalis fascia. ..
- Nafiu O, Burke C, Cowan A, Tutuo N, MacLean S, Tremper K. Comparing peripheral venous access between obese and normal weight children. Paediatr Anaesth. 2010;20:172-6 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of potential sites for successful i.v. access could help to improve the success rate for i.v. placement. ..
- Turrentine F, Wang H, Young J, Calland J. What is the safety of nonemergent operative procedures performed at night? A study of 10,426 operations at an academic tertiary care hospital using the American College of Surgeons national surgical quality program improvement database. J Trauma. 2010;69:313-9 pubmed publisher..Performing nonemergent procedures at night seems to be a safe solution for daytime overcrowding of operating rooms. ..
- Yeap B, Zahari Z. Neonatal tumours in Malaysia: a call for heightened awareness. Pediatr Surg Int. 2010;26:207-12 pubmed publisher..Several solutions were expounded, chief among these are strategies of improved and earlier detection, in addition to the centralisation of expertise for this group of tumours. ..
- Dindo D, Hahnloser D, Clavien P. Quality assessment in surgery: riding a lame horse. Ann Surg. 2010;251:766-71 pubmed publisher..Recording of outcome by surgical residents is unreliable,despite active and focused training. Hence, surgery should be evaluated by dedicated personnel. ..
- Orihuela Pérez I, Cuenca Rodríguez T, Garcia Espigares M, Vélez Cea M, Belda Mercado I, Campos López R. [Tales for children or how to provide information regarding surgical interventions]. Rev Enferm. 2010;33:19-22 pubmed..The reaction received thus far indicates that this informative tale is a highly recommended tool. ..
- O Brien D, Greenfield M, Anderson J, Smith B, Morris M. Comfort, satisfaction, and anxiolysis in surgical patients using a patient-adjustable comfort warming system: a prospective randomized clinical trial. J Perianesth Nurs. 2010;25:88-93 pubmed publisher..Additional research is needed to improve external validity of study findings. Further refinement of a nursing definition of thermal comfort should be explored. ..
- Morton J, Anastassopoulos K, Patel S, Lerner J, Ryan K, Goss T, et al. Frequency and outcomes of blood products transfusion across procedures and clinical conditions warranting inpatient care: an analysis of the 2004 healthcare cost and utilization project nationwide inpatient sample database. Am J Med Qual. 2010;25:289-96 pubmed publisher
- Kazak A, Derosa B, Schwartz L, Hobbie W, Carlson C, Ittenbach R, et al. Psychological outcomes and health beliefs in adolescent and young adult survivors of childhood cancer and controls. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2002-7 pubmed publisher..Beliefs about health may be identified and targeted for intervention to improve quality of life, particularly when patient perceptions of current health problems are considered. ..
- Rerkasem K, Rothwell P. Meta-analysis of small randomized controlled trials in surgery may be unreliable. Br J Surg. 2010;97:466-9 pubmed publisher..Surgical RCTs tend to be small and underpowered. Meta-analysis of such trials does not necessarily produce reliable results. ..
- Llorente J, Obeso S, Rial J, Sánchez Fernández R, Suarez C. [Surgical treatment of clival chordomas]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2010;61:135-44 pubmed publisher..Extradural approaches imply anatomical regions which are familiar for otolaryngologists. Specific knowledge about the limitations of each approach is essential in order to avoid unnecessary morbidity and incomplete resections. ..
- Sobel G, Langmar Z, Tömösváry Z, Pajor A, Szabo I. [How can patients' understanding about their surgery be improved? - Implications for everyday practice]. Orv Hetil. 2010;151:822-7 pubmed publisher..Even though it is a time-consuming method, it may also help to provide in-depth information about the operation for the general prectinioners. ..
- Almazán Fernández F, Serrano Ortega S, Moreno Villalonga J. [Descriptive study of the costs of diagnosis and treatment of cutaneous melanoma]. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2009;100:785-91 pubmed..Management of the diagnostic-therapeutic process by dermatologists, the appropriate use of complementary tests, and operations performed by dermatologists reduce costs. ..
- Gay P. Sleep and sleep-disordered breathing in the hospitalized patient. Respir Care. 2010;55:1240-54 pubmed
- Feizi H, Mohseni M. Scoliosis curve: before and after surgical correction. Pak J Biol Sci. 2009;12:786-91 pubmed..11 +/- 2.56 after operation (p < 0.005). The mean preoperative kyphosis angle was 29.95 +/- 3.9 and the mean postoperative kyphosis angle was 24.6 +/- 2.2 (p < 0.005). Scoliosis was significantly more severe in males than females. ..
- Gillett G. When two are born as one: the ethics of separating conjoined twins. J Law Med. 2009;17:184-9 pubmed..The idea of a potentiality principle that is close to but distinct from the substantial benefit principle as it is used in adult clinical decisions is mooted as one valuable tool in this area. ..
- Stringer W. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing: current applications. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2010;4:179-88 pubmed publisher..It will also detail the recent evidence regarding the association of VO2max and survival in health and disease. ..
- Pape Köhler C, Chmelik C, Heiss M, Jauch K. [E-learning in surgical procedure manuals and blogs]. Chirurg. 2010;81:14-8 pubmed publisher..The scientific content and validity of the contents are not always guaranteed. It remains to be seen how the options presented here will develop further and what the results of the necessary scientific evaluation will be. ..
- Collins S, Cordova K, Jellinek N. Midline/paramedian longitudinal matrix excision with flap reconstruction: alternative surgical techniques for evaluation of longitudinal melanonychia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;62:627-36 pubmed publisher..The different flaps provide elegant local alternatives to second-intention healing and maximize cosmetic and functional results after matrix excision with narrow margins for longitudinal melanonychia. ..
- Ragavan M, Gazula S, Yadav D, Agarwala S, Srinivas M, Bajpai M, et al. Peripherally inserted central venous lines versus central lines in surgical newborns--a comparison. Indian J Pediatr. 2010;77:171-4 pubmed publisher..It also has the least incidence of complications during insertion and maintenance over prolonged period of time when compared to CL and should be recommended for routine use in neonatal surgical patients. ..
- Ang D, Rivara F, Nathens A, Jurkovich G, Maier R, Wang J, et al. Complication rates among trauma centers. J Am Coll Surg. 2009;209:595-602 pubmed publisher..Pulmonary artery catheter use and intubation had the most influence on overall TC complication rates. Additional study is needed to provide accurate benchmark measures of complication rates and to determine their causes. ..
- Hall B, Richards K, Ingraham A, Ko C. New approaches to the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program: the American College of Surgeons experience. Am J Surg. 2009;198:S56-62 pubmed publisher..the foundation and development of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP), a review of recent work and new directions within the American College of Surgeons (ACS) NSQIP is presented, according to the following outline: ..
- Paech A, Wilde E, Schulz A, Heinrichs G, Wendlandt R, Queitsch C, et al. Biopolymer augmentation of the lag screw in the treatment of femoral neck fractures--a biomechanical in-vitro study. Eur J Med Res. 2010;15:174-9 pubmed..Our study results indicate, that a decrease of failure in terms of cut-out can be achieved with polymer augmentation of hip screws in osteoporotic bones. ..
- Ingraham A, Cohen M, Bilimoria K, Raval M, Ko C, Nathens A, et al. Comparison of 30-day outcomes after emergency general surgery procedures: potential for targeted improvement. Surgery. 2010;148:217-38 pubmed publisher..Individual hospitals should examine their procedure-specific outcomes after emergency general surgery operations to focus quality improvement initiatives appropriately. ..
- Bauer H. [Transferabilty of study results in routine health care: non-pharmacological interventions (surgery)]. Z Evid Fortbild Qual Gesundhwes. 2009;103:371-7 pubmed..Good clinical and comparative health care effectiveness research in surgery also needs stronger academic appreciation as a career incentive for young academic surgeons. ..
- Celso B, Meenrajan S. The triad that matters: palliative medicine, code status, and health care costs. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2010;27:398-401 pubmed publisher..The amount of time that expires until the issue of code status was settled to clearly related to utilization of hospital resources. ..
- Chopard P, Spirk D, Beer H, Peter J, Brunner B, Bounameaux H, et al. Swiss results from a global observational study of venous thromboembolism risk and prophylaxis use in the acute care hospital setting: analysis from the ENDORSE study. Swiss Med Wkly. 2009;139:630-5 pubmed publisher..Consequently, hospital wide strategies for systematic risk factor assessment and implementation of practical tools to ensure appropriate use of prophylaxis in patients at VTE risk are required. ..
- Yin Q, Zhou X, Xiao Y, Zhong D. [Application of damage control surgery in serious pediatric abdominal surgery]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2009;11:729-32 pubmed..05). The curative effect of DCS surpasses the conventional operation in children with serious abdominal diseases, suggesting that DCS is of value in the management of serious pediatric abdominal diseases. ..
- Eppsteiner R, Shin J, Johnson J, van Dam R. Mechanical compression versus subcutaneous heparin therapy in postoperative and posttrauma patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. World J Surg. 2010;34:10-9 pubmed publisher..Subgroup analyses suggest that low molecular weight heparin may have a differential effect; this observation should be further evaluated in future studies. ..