Summary: BODY MASS INDEX in children (ages 2-12) and in adolescents (ages 13-18) that is grossly above the recommended cut-off for a specific age and sex. For infants less than 2 years of age, obesity is determined based on standard weight-for-length percentile measures.
Publications103 found, 100 shown here
- Rzehak P, Oddy W, Mearin M, Grote V, Mori T, Szajewska H, et al. Infant feeding and growth trajectory patterns in childhood and body composition in young adulthood. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:568-580 pubmed publisher..Rapid-growth patterns in early childhood could be a mediating link between infant feeding and long-term obesity risk. ..
- Starling A, Adgate J, Hamman R, Kechris K, Calafat A, Ye X, et al. Perfluoroalkyl Substances during Pregnancy and Offspring Weight and Adiposity at Birth: Examining Mediation by Maternal Fasting Glucose in the Healthy Start Study. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:067016 pubmed publisher..Prenatal PFAS exposure has been associated with lower birth weight; however, impacts on body composition and factors responsible for this association are unknown...
- Shreve M, Scott A, Vowell Johnson K. Adequately Addressing Pediatric Obesity: Challenges Faced by Primary Care Providers. South Med J. 2017;110:486-490 pubmed publisher..A survey assessed the current challenges and barriers to the screening and treatment of pediatric obesity for providers in northwest Arkansas who provide care to families...
- Vilella M, Nunes de Oliveira Costa G, Lima Barreto M, Alexandrina Figueredo C, Maria Alcantara Neves N, Cunha Rodrigues L, et al. Effect of dietary consumption as a modifier on the association between FTO gene variants and excess body weight in children from an admixed population in Brazil: the Social Changes, Asthma and Allergy in Latin America (SCAALA) cohort study. Br J Nutr. 2017;117:1503-1510 pubmed publisher..The association between FTO gene variants and excess body weight can be modulated by dietary characteristics, particularly by fatty acid distribution and dietary protein intake in children. ..
- Ohlsson C, Bygdell M, Sondén A, Jern C, Rosengren A, Kindblom J. BMI increase through puberty and adolescence is associated with risk of adult stroke. Neurology. 2017;89:363-369 pubmed publisher..We propose that greater BMI increases during puberty contribute to increased risk of adult stroke at least partly via increased blood pressure. ..
- Martin A, Booth J, Laird Y, Sproule J, Reilly J, Saunders D. Physical activity, diet and other behavioural interventions for improving cognition and school achievement in children and adolescents with obesity or overweight. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;3:CD009728 pubmed publisher..Future obesity treatment and prevention studies in clinical, school and community settings should consider assessing academic and cognitive as well as physical outcomes. ..
- Figueiredo R, Roos E, Eriksson J, Simola Ström S, Weiderpass E. Maternal alcohol and tobacco consumption and the association with their 9 to 14-year-old children's Body Mass Index. Scand J Public Health. 2017;45:503-510 pubmed publisher..If other studies confirm these results, public health interventions aiming at healthy weight of adolescents should target the whole family, not only the adolescents themselves. ..
- Maynard M. Faith-Based Institutions as Venues for Obesity Prevention. Curr Obes Rep. 2017;6:148-154 pubmed publisher..Support for progressing formative work to adequately powered, randomized controlled trials is vital. Wider involvement of diverse faith settings and targeting obesity in men and childhood would be valuable developments. ..
- Schwarz J, Noworolski S, Erkin Cakmak A, Korn N, Wen M, Tai V, et al. Effects of Dietary Fructose Restriction on Liver Fat, De Novo Lipogenesis, and Insulin Kinetics in Children With Obesity. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:743-752 pubmed publisher..These findings support efforts to reduce sugar consumption. ClinicalTrials.gov Number: NCT01200043. ..
- Freedman D, Butte N, Taveras E, Lundeen E, Blanck H, Goodman A, et al. BMI z-Scores are a poor indicator of adiposity among 2- to 19-year-olds with very high BMIs, NHANES 1999-2000 to 2013-2014. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2017;25:739-746 pubmed publisher..Among children with severe obesity, BMIz is only weakly associated with other measures of body fatness. Very high BMIs should be expressed relative to the CDC 95th percentile, particularly in studies that evaluate obesity interventions. ..
- Boutelle K, Rhee K, LIANG J, Braden A, Douglas J, Strong D, et al. Effect of Attendance of the Child on Body Weight, Energy Intake, and Physical Activity in Childhood Obesity Treatment: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:622-628 pubmed publisher..However, parent-based treatment (PBT), which is provided to the parent without the child, could be similarly effective and easier to disseminate...
- Kikuya M, Matsubara H, Ishikuro M, Sato Y, Obara T, Metoki H, et al. Alterations in physique among young children after the Great East Japan Earthquake: Results from a nationwide survey. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:462-468 pubmed publisher..56; 95% CI, 1.09-2.23). Incident overweight in young children was significantly more common in the three prefectures affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake than in other prefectures after the disaster. ..
- De Miguel Etayo P, Bueno G, Garagorri J, Moreno L. Interventions for treating obesity in children. World Rev Nutr Diet. 2013;108:98-106 pubmed publisher..Besides, surgical procedures have been used to treat severe morbid obesity in children and adolescents when more conservative treatments have proven to be inadequate. ..
- Howell A, Anderson A, Clarke R, Duffy S, Evans D, Garcia Closas M, et al. Risk determination and prevention of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2014;16:446 pubmed publisher..We hope that efforts to fill these and other gaps will lead to considerable advances in our efforts to predict risk and prevent breast cancer over the next 10 years. ..
- Moores C, Miller J, Perry R, Chan L, Daniels L, Vidgen H, et al. CONSORT to community: translation of an RCT to a large-scale community intervention and learnings from evaluation of the upscaled program. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:918 pubmed publisher..PEACHâ„¢ QLD was retrospectively registered with the Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry on 28 February 2017 (ACTRN12617000315314). ..
- Jafari F, Ehsani S, Nadjarzadeh A, Esmaillzadeh A, Noori Shadkam M, Salehi Abargouei A. Household food insecurity is associated with abdominal but not general obesity among Iranian children. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:350 pubmed publisher..Large-scale prospective studies, particularly in the Middle East, are highly recommended to confirm our results. ..
- Peterson C, Su H, Thomas D, Heo M, Golnabi A, Pietrobelli A, et al. Tri-Ponderal Mass Index vs Body Mass Index in Estimating Body Fat During Adolescence. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:629-636 pubmed publisher..To account for this, health care providers diagnose obesity using BMI percentiles for each age (BMI z scores), but this does not ensure that BMI is accurate in adolescents...
- Afshin A, Forouzanfar M, Reitsma M, Sur P, Estep K, Lee A, et al. Health Effects of Overweight and Obesity in 195 Countries over 25 Years. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:13-27 pubmed publisher..Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.). ..
- Meyerovitch J, Zlotnik M, Yackobovitch Gavan M, Phillip M, Shalitin S. Real-Life Glycemic Control in Children with Type 2 Diabetes: A Population-Based Study. J Pediatr. 2017;188:173-180.e1 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, there is room for improvement in intervention programs to optimize outcomes and decrease the risk of complications. ..
- Quattrin T, Cao Y, Paluch R, Roemmich J, Ecker M, Epstein L. Cost-effectiveness of Family-Based Obesity Treatment. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..1/1 U decrease) compared with completers ($114.3). For families consisting of children and parents with overweight, FBT presents a more cost-effective alternative than an IC group. ..
- Freedman D, Butte N, Taveras E, Goodman A, Ogden C, Blanck H. The Limitations of Transforming Very High Body Mass Indexes into z-Scores among 8.7 Million 2- to 4-Year-Old Children. J Pediatr. 2017;188:50-56.e1 pubmed publisher..Expressing these very high BMIs relative to the CDC 95th percentile, either as a difference or percentage, would be preferable to using BMI-for-age, particularly when assessing the effectiveness of interventions. ..
- Levenson A, Milliren C, Biddinger S, Ebbeling C, Feldman H, Ludwig D, et al. Calorically restricted diets decrease PCSK9 in overweight adolescents. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:342-349 pubmed publisher..Change in HOMA-IR was associated with change in PCSK9, independent of weight loss, suggesting an important relationship with insulin sensitivity. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01080339. ..
- Alshammari E, Suneetha E, Adnan M, Khan S, Alazzeh A. Growth Profile and Its Association with Nutrient Intake and Dietary Patterns among Children and Adolescents in Hail Region of Saudi Arabia. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:5740851 pubmed publisher..Both stunted and overweight/obesity groups had significantly lower mean intakes for critical micronutrients necessary for growth as compared to normal children. ..
- Nicolucci A, Hume M, MartÃnez I, Mayengbam S, Walter J, Reimer R. Prebiotics Reduce Body Fat and Alter Intestinal Microbiota in Children Who Are Overweight or With Obesity. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:711-722 pubmed publisher..gov no:Â NCT02125955). ..
- Davidson K, Vidgen H. Why do parents enrol in a childhood obesity management program?: a qualitative study with parents of overweight and obese children. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:159 pubmed publisher..Parents must be supported in their attempts to address their child's overweight and obesity whether they choose to manage it themselves or within a program. ..
- Croker H, Beeken R. Applied Interventions in the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity Through the Research of Professor Jane Wardle. Curr Obes Rep. 2017;6:57-62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we discuss how she not only developed new interventions but also made these widely available and the charity that she established. ..
- Seguin R, Morgan E, Hanson K, Ammerman A, Jilcott Pitts S, Kolodinsky J, et al. Farm Fresh Foods for Healthy Kids (F3HK): An innovative community supported agriculture intervention to prevent childhood obesity in low-income families and strengthen local agricultural economies. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:306 pubmed publisher..Findings also will inform the development of a toolkit for farmers and education modules related to local food system innovations for undergraduate and graduate students. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT02770196 . Registered 5 April 2016. ..
- García Hermoso A, Agostinis Sobrinho C, Mota J, Santos R, Correa Bautista J, Ramirez Velez R. Adiposity as a full mediator of the influence of cardiorespiratory fitness and inflammation in schoolchildren: The FUPRECOL Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:525-533 pubmed publisher..Our findings seem to emphasize the importance of obesity prevention in childhood, suggesting that having high levels of cardiorespiratory fitness may not counteract the negative consequences ascribed to adiposity on hs-CRP. ..
- Kesztyüs D, Traub M, Lauer R, Kesztyüs T, Steinacker J. Skipping breakfast is detrimental for primary school children: cross-sectional analysis of determinants for targeted prevention. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:258 pubmed publisher..To reach all children and to avoid skipping breakfast, schools should offer regular breakfast at the start of a school day. Policy makers should support healthy eating habits at all times. ..
- Derks I, Tiemeier H, Sijbrands E, Nicholson J, Voortman T, Verhulst F, et al. Testing the direction of effects between child body composition and restrictive feeding practices: results from a population-based cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:783-790 pubmed publisher..Guidelines discouraging restrictive feeding for preventing childhood overweight should therefore be reconsidered. ..
- Adab P, Pallan M, Lancashire E, Hemming K, Frew E, Barrett T, et al. Effectiveness of a childhood obesity prevention programme delivered through schools, targeting 6 and 7 year olds: cluster randomised controlled trial (WAVES study). BMJ. 2018;360:k211 pubmed publisher..Schools are unlikely to impact on the childhood obesity epidemic by incorporating such interventions without wider support across multiple sectors and environments. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN97000586. ..
- Ville A, Heyman M, Medrano R, Wojcicki J. Early Antibiotic Exposure and Risk of Childhood Obesity in Latinos. Child Obes. 2017;13:231-235 pubmed publisher..17-35.06)] and obesity at age 2 [OR 6.15, 95% CI (1.03-36.70)]. These findings provide evidence promoting antibiotic stewardship in pediatric practices to minimize exposure in the first 6 months of life. ..
- Moran C, Peccin M, Bombig M, Pereira S, Dal Corso S. Performance and reproducibility on shuttle run test between obese and non-obese children: a cross-sectional study. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:68 pubmed publisher..011). No correlation was observed in the non-obese children. Overweight children had lower performance in SRT. Although reproducible, the best performance was in the first test, which leads us to suggest applying only one test. ..
- Ronnberg A, Hanson U, Nilsson K. Effects of an antenatal lifestyle intervention on offspring obesity - a 5-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017;96:1093-1099 pubmed publisher..Maternal obesity was an independent risk factor for offspring obesity at age five (OR = 4.81, p = 0.006). Our composite antenatal lifestyle intervention did not significantly reduce the risk of obesity in offspring up until age five. ..
- García Hermoso A, Esteban Cornejo I, Olloquequi J, Ramirez Velez R. Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Muscular Strength as Mediators of the Influence of Fatness on Academic Achievement. J Pediatr. 2017;187:127-133.e3 pubmed publisher..CRF and muscular strength may attenuate or even counteract the adverse influence of fatness on academic achievement in adolescents. ..
- Mameli C, Krakauer J, Krakauer N, Bosetti A, Ferrari C, Schneider L, et al. Effects of a multidisciplinary weight loss intervention in overweight and obese children and adolescents: 11 years of experience. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181095 pubmed publisher..Weight loss was not predicted by initial ABSI or HI. More visits predict more weight loss, but dropout rates are high. The great majority of patients leave the weight management program before having normalized their BMI. ..
- Reed Z, Micali N, Bulik C, Davey Smith G, Wade K. Assessing the causal role of adiposity on disordered eating in childhood, adolescence, and adulthood: a Mendelian randomization analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:764-772 pubmed publisher..These results encourage an exploration of the ways to break the causal chain between these complex phenotypes, which could inform and prevent disordered eating problems in adolescence. ..
- Minges K, Whittemore R, Weinzimer S, Irwin M, Redeker N, Grey M. Correlates of overweight and obesity in 5529 adolescents with type 1 diabetes: The T1D Exchange Clinic Registry. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017;126:68-78 pubmed publisher..Some of these factors may be amenable to remediation and point to subgroups that can benefit from obesity prevention and management efforts. ..
- Lloyd J, Creanor S, Price L, Abraham C, Dean S, Green C, et al. Trial baseline characteristics of a cluster randomised controlled trial of a school-located obesity prevention programme; the Healthy Lifestyles Programme (HeLP) trial. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:291 pubmed publisher..isrctn15811706 (1/05/2012). ..
- Ball G, Spence N, Browne N, O CONNOR K, Srikameswaran S, Zelichowska J, et al. The readiness and motivation interview for families (RMI-Family) managing pediatric obesity: study protocol. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:261 pubmed publisherExperts recommend that clinicians assess motivational factors before initiating care for pediatric obesity. Currently, there are no well-established clinical tools available for assessing motivation in youth with obesity or their ..
- Andrade C, Bosco A, Sandrim V, Silva F. MMP-9 Levels and IMT of Carotid Arteries are Elevated in Obese Children and Adolescents Compared to Non-Obese. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2017;108:198-203 pubmed publisher..Matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) plays an important role in the degradation of the extracellular matrix and, consequently, in the development, morphogenesis, repair and remodeling of connective tissues...
- Cheung E, Bell C, Samuel J, Poffenbarger T, Redwine K, Samuels J. Race and Obesity in Adolescent Hypertension. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..Although obesity remains the strongest predictor of early hypertension, the strength of this relationship is intensified in Hispanic and white adolescents, whereas it is lessened in African American adolescents. ..
- Lumeng J, Miller A, Horodynski M, Brophy Herb H, Contreras D, Lee H, et al. Improving Self-Regulation for Obesity Prevention in Head Start: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..005). An intervention for parents and children to improve HS preschoolers' emotional and behavioral self-regulation in combination with an obesity-prevention curriculum did not reduce obesity prevalence or most obesity-related behaviors. ..
- Williams S, Van Lippevelde W, Magarey A, Moores C, Croyden D, Esdaile E, et al. Parent engagement and attendance in PEACH™ QLD - an up-scaled parent-led childhood obesity program. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:559 pubmed publisher..The influence of program-level factors (e.g. facilitator and setting characteristics) should be investigated as possible alternative mediators to program engagement. ..
- Guthrie S, Krapels J, Adams A, Alberti P, Bonham A, Garrod B, et al. Assessing and Communicating the Value of Biomedical Research: Results From a Pilot Study. Acad Med. 2017;92:1456-1463 pubmed publisher..It illustrates how metrics beyond grant income and publications can capture the outputs of an academic health center in a way that may better align with the aims of the center and stakeholders. ..
- SanGiovanni C, McElligott J, Morella K, BASCO W. Underdiagnosis and Lower Rates of Office Visits for Overweight/Obese Pediatric Patients in Rural Compared with Urban Areas. South Med J. 2017;110:480-485 pubmed publisher..Interventions to overcome barriers of diagnosis and management are necessary to address childhood obesity properly. ..
- Warner M, Wesselink A, Harley K, Bradman A, Kogut K, Eskenazi B. Prenatal exposure to dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane and obesity at 9 years of age in the CHAMACOS study cohort. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:1312-22 pubmed publisher..The difference by sex persisted after considering pubertal status. These results provide support for the chemical obesogen hypothesis. ..
- Bucher Della Torre S, Keller A, Laure Depeyre J, Kruseman M. Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Obesity Risk in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Analysis on How Methodological Quality May Influence Conclusions. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016;116:638-59 pubmed publisher..In addition, study findings highlight the need for the careful and precise measurement of the consumption of SSBs and of important confounders. ..
- Hill A. Obesity in Children and the 'Myth of Psychological Maladjustment': Self-Esteem in the Spotlight. Curr Obes Rep. 2017;6:63-70 pubmed publisher..Weight loss is only weakly associated with improved self-competence suggesting the value of resilience and asset approaches to improving well-being. ..
- Taveras E, Marshall R, Sharifi M, Avalon E, Fiechtner L, Horan C, et al. Comparative Effectiveness of Clinical-Community Childhood Obesity Interventions: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:e171325 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT02124460. ..
- Pettersson M, Viljakainen H, Loid P, Mustila T, Pekkinen M, Armenio M, et al. Copy Number Variants Are Enriched in Individuals With Early-Onset Obesity and Highlight Novel Pathogenic Pathways. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3029-3039 pubmed publisher..The involved genes might provide insights into pathogenic mechanisms and involved cellular pathways. These findings highlight the importance of CNV screening in children with early-onset obesity. ..
- Li L, Wong H, McGrath C. Longitudinal Association between Obesity and Dental Caries in Adolescents. J Pediatr. 2017;189:149-154.e5 pubmed publisher..135; 95% CI 1.01-1.28; P?=?.041) at age 18 years. There is longitudinal association between central obesity and dental caries experience among adolescents aged 15-18 years. ..
- Haas L, Chevalier R, Major B, Enders F, Kumar S, Tung J. Biologic Agents Are Associated with Excessive Weight Gain in Children with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3110-3116 pubmed publisher..5. Pediatric patients with IBD may experience excess weight gain when treated with anti-TNF agents. Monitoring for this side effect is warranted. ..
- Zhai L, Dong Y, Bai Y, Wei W, Jia L. Trends in obesity, overweight, and malnutrition among children and adolescents in Shenyang, China in 2010 and 2014: a multiple cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:151 pubmed publisher..The increasing rate of obesity and overweight was faster in rural than urban areas. Malnutrition did not significantly decrease during the 4-year period from 2010-2014. ..
- Valentini D, Alisi A, Di Camillo C, Sartorelli M, Crudele A, Bartuli A, et al. Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Italian Children with Down Syndrome: Prevalence and Correlation with Obesity-Related Features. J Pediatr. 2017;189:92-97.e1 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated that, independently from the obese phenotype, children with DS display a greater risk to develop NAFLD than the general pediatric population. ..
- Christie D, Hudson L, Kinra S, Wong I, Nazareth I, Cole T, et al. A community-based motivational personalised lifestyle intervention to reduce BMI in obese adolescents: results from the Healthy Eating and Lifestyle Programme (HELP) randomised controlled trial. Arch Dis Child. 2017;102:695-701 pubmed publisher..The study has significant implications in terms of informing public health interventions to tackle childhood obesity. ISRCTN: ISRCTN99840111. ..
- Di Bonito P, Valerio G, Pacifico L, Chiesa C, Invitti C, Morandi A, et al. A new index to simplify the screening of hypertension in overweight or obese youth. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:830-835 pubmed publisherHypertension (HTH) is a frequent complication in pediatric obesity. To simplify the screening of HTH in overweight/obese (Ow/Ob) youth, we compared the performance of a new index (High Blood Pressure index, HBPi) with respect to the ..
- Feng L, Wei D, Lin S, Maddison R, Ni Mhurchu C, Jiang Y, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of school-based obesity interventions in mainland China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184704 pubmed publisher..15,-0.67); prevention studies: -0.19 kg/m2 (95% CI: -0.27, -0.11) vs. +0.05 kg/m2 (95% CI: -0.04, +0.15)). Comprehensive school-based interventions may assist in tackling the rising prevalence of childhood obesity in mainland China. ..
- Mason K, Page L, Balikcioglu P. Screening for hormonal, monogenic, and syndromic disorders in obese infants and children. Pediatr Ann. 2014;43:e218-24 pubmed publisherThe prevalence of pediatric obesity in the United States is nearly 17%. Most cases are "exogenous", resulting from excess energy intake relative to energy expenditure over a prolonged period of time...
- Brophy Herb H, Horodynski M, Contreras D, Kerver J, Kaciroti N, Stein M, et al. Effectiveness of differing levels of support for family meals on obesity prevention among head start preschoolers: the simply dinner study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:184 pubmed publisher..Study results will have implications for funding decisions within public programs to implement and disseminate effective interventions to prevent obesity in children. Clincaltrials.gov Identifier NCT02487251 ; Registered June 26, 2015. ..
- Wang J, Adab P, Liu W, Chen Y, Li B, Lin R, et al. Prevalence of adiposity and its association with sleep duration, quality, and timing among 9-12-year-old children in Guangzhou, China. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:531-537 pubmed publisher..No association was seen between sleep quality and adiposity. Shorter sleep duration and later bedtime are associated with higher adiposity indices in early adolescents from southern China. ..
- Censin J, Nowak C, Cooper N, Bergsten P, Todd J, Fall T. Childhood adiposity and risk of type 1 diabetes: A Mendelian randomization study. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002362 pubmed publisher..Together with evidence from observational studies, our findings further emphasize the importance of measures to reduce the global epidemic of childhood obesity and encourage mechanistic studies. ..
- Shoaff J, Papandonatos G, Calafat A, Ye X, Chen A, Lanphear B, et al. Early-Life Phthalate Exposure and Adiposity at 8 Years of Age. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:097008 pubmed publisher..Early-life phthalate exposure may influence child adiposity, but prior studies have not determined if there are periods of enhanced vulnerability to phthalates...
- ..La prevalencia del sobrepeso y la obesidad es alta en todos los grupos de edad en muchos países, pero especialmente preocupante en los niños y adolescentes en los países desarrollados y las economías en transición. ..
- Fadzlina A, Harun F, Nurul Haniza M, Al Sadat N, Murray L, Cantwell M, et al. Metabolic syndrome among 13 year old adolescents: prevalence and risk factors. BMC Public Health. 2014;14 Suppl 3:S7 pubmed publisher..38(0.15-0.94). Our results provide the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Malaysian adolescents. Adequate sleep between 7 and 9 hours per day reduces the risk of developing metabolic syndrome. ..
- Felso R, Lohner S, Hollody K, Erhardt E, Molnar D. Relationship between sleep duration and childhood obesity: Systematic review including the potential underlying mechanisms. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:751-761 pubmed publisher..There are numerous evidence gaps. To answer the remaining questions, there is a need for studies meeting high methodological standards and including a large number of children. ..
- Chaput J, Colley R, Aubert S, Carson V, Janssen I, Roberts K, et al. Proportion of preschool-aged children meeting the Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines and associations with adiposity: results from the Canadian Health Measures Survey. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:829 pubmed publisher..Future work should focus on identifying innovative ways to reduce screen time in this population, and should examine the associations of guideline adherence with health indicators other than adiposity. ..
- Grüters Kieslich A, Reyes M, Sharma A, Demirci C, DeClue T, Lankes E, et al. Early-Onset Obesity: Unrecognized First Evidence for GNAS Mutations and Methylation Changes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2670-2677 pubmed publisher..Importantly, GNAS methylation abnormalities escape detection by targeted or genome-wide sequencing strategies, raising the question of whether epigenetic GNAS analyses should be considered for unexplained obesity. ..
- Grazuleviciene R, Petraviciene I, Andrusaityte S, Balseviciene B. Psychosocial stress and obesity among children residing in Kaunas City. Environ Res. 2017;157:37-43 pubmed publisher..Measures oriented towards health behavior and psychosocial stress management should be encouraged among parents in order to decrease the risk of overweight/obesity in their children. ..
- Pastor Villaescusa B, Cañete M, Caballero Villarraso J, Hoyos R, Latorre M, Vázquez Cobela R, et al. Metformin for Obesity in Prepubertal and Pubertal Children: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, the doses per kilogram of weight administrated may have had an impact on the metformin effect. Further investigations are necessary.” ..
- Fialkowski M, Delormier T, Hattori Uchima M, Leslie J, Greenberg J, Kim J, et al. Children's Healthy Living Program (CHL) Indigenous Workforce Training to Prevent Childhood Obesity in the Underserved U.S. Affiliated Pacific Region. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2015;26:83-95 pubmed publisher..The Children's Healthy Living Training Program was developed to enhance the USAPR's capacity to address childhood obesity prevention. ..
- Szlagatys Sidorkiewicz A, BrzeziÅ„ski M, Jankowska A, Metelska P, SÅ‚omiÅ„ska FrÄ…czek M, Socha P. Long-term effects of vitamin D supplementation in vitamin D deficient obese children participating in an integrated weight-loss programme (a double-blind placebo-controlled study) - rationale for the study design. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:97 pubmed publisher..NCT 02828228 ; Trial registration date: 8 Jun 2016; Registered in: ClinicalTrials.gov. The trial was registered retrospectively. ..