Genomes and Genes
glucose metabolism disorders
Summary: Pathological conditions in which the BLOOD GLUCOSE cannot be maintained within the normal range, such as in HYPOGLYCEMIA and HYPERGLYCEMIA. Etiology of these disorders varies. Plasma glucose concentration is critical to survival for it is the predominant fuel for the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- Kondo Y, Ishigami A. Involvement of senescence marker protein-30 in glucose metabolism disorder and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2016;16 Suppl 1:4-16 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent advances in our understanding of SMP30 in glucose metabolism disorder and non-alchoholic fatty liver disease. ..
- Gibson G, Shi Q. A mitocentric view of Alzheimer's disease suggests multi-faceted treatments. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20 Suppl 2:S591-607 pubmed publisher..Abnormalities in GMO diminish the ability of the brain to adapt. Therapies targeting mitochondria may ameliorate abnormalities in plaques, tangles, calcium homeostasis, and cognition that comprise AD. ..
- Wooten J. Metabolic effects of the atypical antipsychotics. South Med J. 2007;100:771-2 pubmed
- Gao J, Xie W. Targeting xenobiotic receptors PXR and CAR for metabolic diseases. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2012;33:552-8 pubmed publisher..Given a wide variety of natural or synthetic compounds that are PXR and CAR modulators, it is hoped that these two 'xenobiotic receptors' can be harnessed for therapeutic potentials in managing metabolic diseases. ..
- Metcalfe R, Tardif N, Thompson D, Vollaard N. Changes in aerobic capacity and glycaemic control in response to reduced-exertion high-intensity interval training (REHIT) are not different between sedentary men and women. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2016;41:1117-1123 pubmed..There is large interindividual variability in responses to REHIT, but sex differences in the responses are not apparent. ..
- Jupp B, Williams J, Binns D, Hicks R, Cardamone L, Jones N, et al. Hypometabolism precedes limbic atrophy and spontaneous recurrent seizures in a rat model of TLE. Epilepsia. 2012;53:1233-44 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to investigate the ontologic relationship among limbic atrophy, histological changes, and hypometabolism in rats...
- Xu D, Sun J, Chen M, Chen Y, Xie H, Sun W, et al. Effects of lifestyle intervention and meal replacement on glycaemic and body-weight control in Chinese subjects with impaired glucose regulation: a 1-year randomised controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2013;109:487-92 pubmed publisher..The incidence of normal glucose regulation (NGR) in the two groups was significantly different (P=0·001). In conclusion, the combination of regular contact, lifestyle advice and meal replacement is beneficial in promoting IGR to NGR. ..
- Pinent M, Cedó L, Montagut G, Blay M, Ardevol A. Procyanidins improve some disrupted glucose homoeostatic situations: an analysis of doses and treatments according to different animal models. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2012;52:569-84 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, all available data suggest that procyanidins are more effective when administered in one acute load than when mixed with food. ..
- Spoelstra de Man A, Smulders Y, Dekker J, Heine R, Bouter L, Nijpels G, et al. Homocysteine levels are not associated with cardiovascular autonomic function in elderly Caucasian subjects without or with type 2 diabetes mellitus: the Hoorn Study. J Intern Med. 2005;258:536-43 pubmed..Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction does not help explain why hyperhomocysteinaemia is related to cardiovascular mortality. ..
- Zhang Z, Li Q, Liang J, Dai X, Ding Y, Wang J, et al. Epigallocatechin-3-O-gallate (EGCG) protects the insulin sensitivity in rat L6 muscle cells exposed to dexamethasone condition. Phytomedicine. 2010;17:14-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we also demonstrated these EGCG effects essentially depended on the AMPK and Akt activation. Together, our data suggested that EGCG inhibited dexamethasone-induced insulin resistance through AMPK and PI3K/Akt pathway. ..
- Idorn T, Knop F, Jørgensen M, Holst J, Hornum M, Feldt Rasmussen B. Gastrointestinal factors contribute to glucometabolic disturbances in nondiabetic patients with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int. 2013;83:915-23 pubmed publisher..These factors may contribute to disturbed glucose metabolism in ESRD. ..
- Prudente S, Sesti G, Pandolfi A, Andreozzi F, Consoli A, Trischitta V. The mammalian tribbles homolog TRIB3, glucose homeostasis, and cardiovascular diseases. Endocr Rev. 2012;33:526-46 pubmed publisher..Additional investigations are needed to verify whether such acquired knowledge will be relevant for improving care delivery to patients with metabolic and cardiovascular alterations. ..
- Zhang P, Wang P, Zhao L, Zhang X, Ji Y, Zhang X, et al. The deubiquitinating enzyme TNFAIP3 mediates inactivation of hepatic ASK1 and ameliorates nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Nat Med. 2017;: pubmed publisher..of Tnfaip3 exacerbated nonalcoholic fatty liver disease- and NASH-related phenotypes in mice, including glucose metabolism disorders, lipid accumulation and enhanced inflammation, in an ASK1-dependent manner...
- LUTHER J, Brown N. The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and glucose homeostasis. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2011;32:734-9 pubmed publisher..We review these findings in the context of pharmacological strategies interrupting the RAAS to highlight the potential application of these strategies to the prevention of diabetes progression. ..
- Rama Maceiras P, Fàbregas Julià N, Ingelmo Ingelmo I, Hernández Palazón J. [Systemic complications of subarachnoid hemorrhage from spontaneous rupture of a cerebral aneurysm]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2010;57 Suppl 2:S63-74 pubmed..Treatment should cover major symptoms (headache, nausea, and dizziness) and ambient noise should be reduced, all with the aim of achieving excellence and improving the patient's perception of quality of care. ..
- De Hert M, Van Eyck D, Hanssens L, Peuskens H, Thys E, Wampers M, et al. Oral glucose tolerance tests in treated patients with schizophrenia. Data to support an adaptation of the proposed guidelines for monitoring of patients on second generation antipsychotics?. Eur Psychiatry. 2006;21:224-6 pubmed..Adding assessment of fasting insulin in a monitoring protocol improves detection of glucose abnormalities late in an OGTT. ..
- Zeng N, Jiang H, Fan Q, Wang T, Rong W, Li G, et al. Aberrant expression of miR-451a contributes to 1,2-dichloroethane-induced hepatic glycerol gluconeogenesis disorder by inhibiting glycerol kinase expression in NIH Swiss mice. J Appl Toxicol. 2018;38:292-303 pubmed publisher..These observations provide evidence that hepatic mmu-miR-451a responds to 1,2-DCE exposure and might induce glucose metabolism disorders by suppressing the glycerol gluconeogenesis process.
- Sheth S, Rao C, Tselis A, Lewis R. HIV-related peripheral neuropathy and glucose dysmetabolism: study of a public dataset. Neuroepidemiology. 2007;29:121-4 pubmed..The study brings up important aspects of using public datasets for epidemiologic studies including its limitations and a unique opportunity for pilot studies for new investigators. ..
- Muneyuki T, Nakajima K, Aoki A, Yoshida M, Fuchigami H, Munakata H, et al. Latent associations of low serum amylase with decreased plasma insulin levels and insulin resistance in asymptomatic middle-aged adults. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2012;11:80 pubmed publisher..The nature of these associations remains to be elucidated in further studies. ..
- Qian C, Zhu C, Gao J, Bu L, Zhou D, Li N, et al. [Effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy on insulin secretion patterns in morbidly obese patients]. Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2018;21:61-67 pubmed..Insulin resistance is correlated with body weight and inflammatory factors. ..
- Khader Y, Batieha A, Jaddou H, Batieha Z, El Khateeb M, Ajlouni K. Metabolic abnormalities associated with obesity in children and adolescents in Jordan. Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011;6:215-22 pubmed publisher..Programs addressing eating behavior and physical activity of children and adolescents to maintain a healthy weight are needed in Jordan. ..
- Almeida T, Samelli A, Mecca F, De Martino E, Paulino A. Tinnitus sensation pre and post nutritional intervention in metabolic disorders. Pro Fono. 2009;21:291-7 pubmed..An important difference was observed concerning tinnitus influence in subject's life by self-report measures. A direct relation between tinnitus and metabolic disorders in cases related with this symptom was verified. ..
- Carlson K, Wilt T, Taylor B, Goldish G, Niewoehner C, Shamliyan T, et al. Effect of exercise on disorders of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in adults with traumatic spinal cord injury: systematic review of the evidence. J Spinal Cord Med. 2009;32:361-78 pubmed..Evidence is insufficient to determine whether exercise improves carbohydrate and lipid metabolism disorders among adults with SCI. Expert consensus, based on the preliminary evidence, is needed to inform future studies. ..
- Guijarro De Armas M, Monereo Megias S, Civantos Modino S, Montaño Martínez J, Iglesias Bolaños P, Durán Martínez M. [Prevalence of carbohydrate metabolism disturbances in a population of children and adolescents with severe obesity]. Endocrinol Nutr. 2010;57:467-71 pubmed publisher..Obese patients with prediabetes have significantly higher levels of insulin and insulin resistance than individuals without impaired carbohydrate metabolism. ..
- Hu Z, Chen M, Zhou H, Tharakan A, Wang X, Qiu L, et al. Inactivation of TNF/LT locus alters mouse metabolic response to concentrated ambient PM2.5. Toxicology. 2017;390:100-108 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that TNF/LT deficiency influences PM2.5 exposure-induced response of energy metabolism through alterations in both food intake and energy expenditure. ..
- Astor M, Søfteland E, Daryapeyma A, Jonung T. Dysglycaemia in vascular surgery patients. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2010;39:447-51 pubmed publisher..It remains to be seen whether early diagnosis and treatment of dysglycaemia in this patient group will influence the surgical treatment and outcome. ..
- Manzoni P, Baù M, Farina D. Glucose regulation in young adults with very low birth weight. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:616; author reply 617 pubmed
- Yi Y, Ran X, Huang X, Liu Y, Zhang T, Ouyang L, et al. [An epidemiological study of abnormal glucose metabolism and its risk factors among middle and aged population with hypertension in Chengdu area]. Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi. 2010;49:301-4 pubmed..Abdominal obesity and hypertriglyceridemia play important roles in leading to abnormal glucose metabolism among middle and aged population with hypertension. ..
- Wei Y, Yang H. [Variation of prevalence of macrosomia and cesarean section and its influencing factors]. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi. 2015;50:170-6 pubmed..05). The prevalence of macrosomia and cesarean section might be reduced by application of suitable criteria for diagnosis of GDM and education on nutrition during pregnancy. ..
- Correll C. Weight gain and metabolic effects of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics in pediatric bipolar disorder: a systematic review and pooled analysis of short-term trials. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46:687-700 pubmed..Combining antipsychotics with mood stabilizers seems to lead to greater weight gain than treatment with one or two mood stabilizers. ..
- Womack J, Scherzer R, Cole S, Fennie K, Williams A, Grey M, et al. Hormonal contraception and metabolic outcomes in women with or at risk for HIV infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;52:581-7 pubmed..Alternative HC methods that minimize adverse outcomes but maintain efficacy require further study. ..
- Kawai N, Kawanishi M, Tamiya T, Nagao S. Crossed cerebellar glucose hypermetabolism demonstrated using PET in symptomatic epilepsy--case report. Ann Nucl Med. 2005;19:231-4 pubmed
- Giannoukakis N, Trucco M. Gene therapy technology applied to disorders of glucose metabolism: promise, achievements, and prospects. Biotechniques. 2003;35:122-45 pubmed..Current efforts aimed at assessing the future of gene therapy for diabetes must, at the very least, take into account the importance of moving successful methods into human safety trials. ..
- Reilly S, Chiang S, Decker S, Chang L, Uhm M, Larsen M, et al. An inhibitor of the protein kinases TBK1 and IKK-? improves obesity-related metabolic dysfunctions in mice. Nat Med. 2013;19:313-21 pubmed publisher..Because of its record of safety in patients, amlexanox may be an interesting candidate for clinical evaluation in the treatment of obesity and related disorders. ..
- Brewster S, Zinman B, Retnakaran R, Floras J. Cardiometabolic consequences of gestational dysglycemia. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:677-84 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this review is to summarize current understanding of the magnitude of such risk and its potential causes, with a particular focus on postpartum alterations in endothelial and vascular smooth muscle responsiveness. ..
- Schwingshackl L, Hoffmann G. Comparison of the long-term effects of high-fat v. low-fat diet consumption on cardiometabolic risk factors in subjects with abnormal glucose metabolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Nutr. 2014;111:2047-58 pubmed publisher..HF and LF diets might not be of equal value in the management of either pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, leading to emphasis being placed on the recommendations of HF diets. ..
- Makrilakis K, Liatis S, Grammatikou S, Perrea D, Stathi C, Tsiligros P, et al. Validation of the Finnish diabetes risk score (FINDRISC) questionnaire for screening for undiagnosed type 2 diabetes, dysglycaemia and the metabolic syndrome in Greece. Diabetes Metab. 2011;37:144-51 pubmed publisher..680-0.752) while, for detection of the MetS, it was 0.733 (0.699-0.767). The FINDRISC questionnaire performed well as a screening tool for the cross-sectional detection of unknown diabetes, IFG, IGT and the MetS in the Greek population. ..
- Ben Slama Ben Salem R, Ktari N, Bkhairia I, Nasri R, Mora L, Kallel R, et al. In vitro and in vivo anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects of protein hydrolysates from Octopus vulgaris in alloxanic rats. Food Res Int. 2018;106:952-963 pubmed publisher..Our results thus suggest that OPHs may be helpful in the preventing from diabetic complications by reversing hepatotoxicity. ..
- Wong C, Bleasel A, Wen L, Eberl S, Byth K, Fulham M, et al. The topography and significance of extratemporal hypometabolism in refractory mesial temporal lobe epilepsy examined by FDG-PET. Epilepsia. 2010;51:1365-73 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that RH in MTLE is associated with a poorer surgical outcome, especially if seen in the contralateral hemisphere. The extent of RH relates to SGTCS but not to duration of epilepsy. ..
- Schweiger U, Greggersen W, Rudolf S, Pusch M, Menzel T, Winn S, et al. Disturbed glucose disposal in patients with major depression; application of the glucose clamp technique. Psychosom Med. 2008;70:170-6 pubmed publisher..The observed neuroendocrine responses suggest a hyperactive allocation system in typical depression and a hypoactive allocation system in atypical depression. ..
- Park H, Hwang K, Oh K, Kim Y, Lee J, Kim K. Discovery of novel alpha-glucosidase inhibitors based on the virtual screening with the homology-modeled protein structure. Bioorg Med Chem. 2008;16:284-92 pubmed..Structural features relevant to the interactions of the newly identified inhibitors with the active site residues of alpha-glucosidase are discussed in detail. ..
- Misnikova I, Dreval A, Barsukov I, Dzebisashvili T. [Major risk factors of glucose metabolism abnormalities]. Vopr Pitan. 2011;80:68-72 pubmed
- Iizuka K. Recent progress on the role of ChREBP in glucose and lipid metabolism. Endocr J. 2013;60:543-55 pubmed..Understanding the role of ChREBP in each tissue will provide important insight into the pathogenesis of metabolic syndrome. ..
- Tang J, Lin X, Xie X, Zhou Z, Zhao J, Yao L, et al. [A study of effects of impaired glucose tolerance on ventricular remodeling]. Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi. 2010;49:841-4 pubmed..These results suggested that IGT is a possible contributor to left ventricular hypertrophy and diastolic dysfunction, and is one of the histopathology of left ventricular remodeling. ..
- Penack O, Buchheidt D, Christopeit M, von Lilienfeld Toal M, Massenkeil G, Hentrich M, et al. Management of sepsis in neutropenic patients: guidelines from the infectious diseases working party of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology. Ann Oncol. 2011;22:1019-29 pubmed publisher..The guidelines are written for clinicians involved in care of cancer patients and focus on pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment of sepsis during neutropenia. ..
- Schreinemachers D. Perturbation of lipids and glucose metabolism associated with previous 2,4-D exposure: a cross-sectional study of NHANES III data, 1988-1994. Environ Health. 2010;9:11 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that exposure to 2,4-D was associated with changes in biomarkers that, based on the published literature, have been linked to risk factors for acute myocardial infarction and type-2 diabetes. ..
- Dyck P, Dyck P, Klein C, Weigand S. Does impaired glucose metabolism cause polyneuropathy? Review of previous studies and design of a prospective controlled population-based study. Muscle Nerve. 2007;36:536-41 pubmed..Here we review previous studies, list the reasons that the issue needs further study, and outline a study now in progress to address the question more definitively...
- Chagnon M, Uetani N, Tremblay M. Functional significance of the LAR receptor protein tyrosine phosphatase family in development and diseases. Biochem Cell Biol. 2004;82:664-75 pubmed..This RPTP subfamily is likely to become important as drug targets in these various human pathologies, but further understanding of their complex signal transduction cascades will be required. ..
- Byrne H, Kim Y, Hertzler S, Watt C, Mattern C. Glycemic and insulinemic responses to different preexercise snacks in participants with impaired fasting glucose. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011;21:1-10 pubmed..Compared with the glucose solution, raisins lowered both the postprandial glycemic and insulinemic responses, whereas the energy bar reduced glycemia but not insulinemia. ..
- Marquet P, Albano L, Woillard J, Rostaing L, Kamar N, Sakarovitch C, et al. Comparative clinical trial of the variability factors of the exposure indices used for the drug monitoring of two tacrolimus formulations in kidney transplant recipients. Pharmacol Res. 2018;129:84-94 pubmed publisher..to evaluate the influence of Tac formulation, post-transplantation period, recipient gender, existing glucose metabolism disorders, and CYP3A5, CYP3A4 and ABCB1 genotypes on C0, AUC0-24h and the AUC-to-trough concentration ..
- Lin H, Kim J, Pocai A, Rossetti L, Shapiro L, Scherer P, et al. Adiponectin resistance exacerbates insulin resistance in insulin receptor transgenic/knockout mice. Diabetes. 2007;56:1969-76 pubmed..These data provide evidence for a mechanism of adiponectin resistance and corroborate the notion that adiponectin potentiates hepatic insulin sensitivity. ..