Genomes and Genes
Summary: Deposition of calcium into the blood vessel structures. Excessive calcification of the vessels are associated with ATHEROSCLEROTIC PLAQUES formation particularly after MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION (see MONCKEBERG MEDIAL CALCIFIC SCLEROSIS) and chronic kidney diseases which in turn increase VASCULAR STIFFNESS.
- Aherrahrou R, Aherrahrou Z, Schunkert H, Erdmann J. Coronary artery disease associated gene Phactr1 modulates severity of vascular calcification in vitro. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:396-402 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we demonstrated that PHACTR1 gene expression increases with the progression of calcification and that regulation of PHACTR1 in SMCs modulates the severity of vascular calcification.
- Goettsch C, Hutcheson J, Aikawa M, Iwata H, Pham T, Nykjaer A, et al. Sortilin mediates vascular calcification via its recruitment into extracellular vesicles. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:1323-36 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification is a common feature of major cardiovascular diseases...
- Li X, Heber D, Cal Gonzalez J, Karanikas G, Mayerhoefer M, Rasul S, et al. Association Between Osteogenesis and Inflammation During the Progression of Calcified Plaque Evaluated by 18F-Fluoride and 18F-FDG. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:968-974 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusion: The combination of 18F-NaF PET imaging and 18F-FDG PET imaging promotes an understanding of the mechanism of plaque progression, thereby providing new insights into plaque stabilization. ..
- Cao F, Liu X, Cao X, Wang S, Fu K, Zhao Y, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 21 plays an inhibitory role in vascular calcification in vitro through OPG/RANKL system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:578-586 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification is prevalent and associated with adverse outcome without available therapy...
- Silveira de Souza V, Soares Torres F, Hochhegger B, Watté G, Sartori G, Lucchese F, et al. Performance of ultra-low-dose CT for the evaluation of coronary calcification: a direct comparison with coronary calcium score. Clin Radiol. 2017;72:745-750 pubmed publisher..ULDCT is unlikely to miss coronary calcification in individuals with at least moderate calcium load (Agatston score >100). ..
- Mesquita P, Dornelas Leão Leite A, Chagas Crisóstomo S, Veras Filho E, da Cunha Xavier L, Bandeira F. Evaluation of coronary calcium score in patients with normocalcemic primary hyperparathyroidism. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2017;13:225-229 pubmed publisher..64; 95% CI: 0.1-26.43; p=0.726). No association was found between the CCS and the presence of NPHPT. ..
- Krajewska Włodarczyk M, Stompor T. [Osteoporosis and vascular calcification in rheumatoid arthritis - the role of osteoprotegerin and sclerostin]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2017;43:41-47 pubmed..In the course of ra, lowering of the mineral density of bones and intensification of vascular calcification seem to be associated with the increase of plasma concentration of osteoprotegerin (OPG) and sclerostin - ..
- Itoga N, Kim T, Sailer A, Fleischmann D, Mell M. Lower extremity computed tomography angiography can help predict technical success of endovascular revascularization in the superficial femoral and popliteal artery. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:835-843.e1 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the cost-effectiveness of obtaining preoperative CTA for lower extremity PAD. ..
- Villacorta L, Chang L. The role of perivascular adipose tissue in vasoconstriction, arterial stiffness, and aneurysm. Horm Mol Biol Clin Investig. 2015;21:137-47 pubmed publisher..Specifically, we summarize the current proposed roles of PVAT in relationship with vascular contractility, endothelial dysfunction, neointimal formation, arterial stiffness, and aneurysm. ..
- Anaya P, Blomquist G, Davenport D, Monier Faugere M, Sorrell V, Malluche H. Coronary artery calcification in CKD-5D ?patients is tied to adverse cardiac function ?and increased mortality?. Clin Nephrol. 2016;86 (2016):291-302 pubmed..These effects on cardiac function likely explain the high mortality with CKD-5D and describe a potentially-valuable role for echocardiography in the routine management of these patients.?. ..
- Divers J, Palmer N, Langefeld C, Brown W, Lu L, Hicks P, et al. Genome-wide association study of coronary artery calcified atherosclerotic plaque in African Americans with type 2 diabetes. BMC Genet. 2017;18:105 pubmed publisher..These data support a role for genetic variation on these chromosomes as contributors to CAC in AAs with T2D, as well as to variation in CAC between populations of African and European ancestry. ..
- Davies M, Newton J. Non-invasive imaging in cardiology for the generalist. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2017;78:392-398 pubmed publisher..It discusses the strengths of each imaging technique, in which circumstances it is most useful and its diagnostic accuracy. ..
- Lee M, Heikali D, Mustapha J, Adams G, Mahmud E. Acute procedural outcomes of orbital atherectomy for the treatment of common femoral artery disease: Sub-analysis of the CONFIRM Registries. Vasc Med. 2017;22:301-306 pubmed publisher..The need for bail-out stenting was low. A randomized trial is needed to determine the ideal treatment strategy for calcified CFA disease. ..
- Ignat ev I, Chelyshev I, Zanochkin A, Gafurov M, Orlinskii S, Mamin G, et al. [Calcification of atherosclerotic plaques and assessment of their stability]. Angiol Sosud Khir. 2017;23:13-20 pubmed..mn2+ ? ????????????? ??? ? ?? ??????????? ?? ???????????? ??????. ..
- Vinter N, Christesen A, Mortensen L, Lindholt J, Johnsen S, Tjønneland A, et al. Relation of Coronary Artery Calcium Score and Risk of Cancer (from a Danish Population-Based Follow-up Study in Patients Who Underwent Cardiac Computed Tomography). Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:542-549 pubmed publisher..However, we did observe an association between CACS and risk of lung cancer in women. ..
- Mary A, Hartemann A, Liabeuf S, Aubert C, Kemel S, Salem J, et al. Association between metformin use and below-the-knee arterial calcification score in type 2 diabetic patients. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:24 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification (VC) is common in type 2 diabetes, and is associated with cardiovascular complications. Recent preclinical data suggest that metformin inhibits VC both in vitro and in animal models...
- Marinelli A, Di Napoli A. [Vascular calcifications in subjects with and without chronic renal failure: types, sites and risk factors]. G Ital Nefrol. 2017;34:88-99 pubmed..Ultrasonography currently available in Nephrology, is a sensitive, reproducible, inexpensive imaging technique to identify arterial intimal and medial calcification in high-risk cardiovascular subjects. ..
- Rogers M, Maldonado N, Hutcheson J, Goettsch C, Goto S, Yamada I, et al. Dynamin-Related Protein 1 Inhibition Attenuates Cardiovascular Calcification in the Presence of Oxidative Stress. Circ Res. 2017;121:220-233 pubmed publisher..Our data also support a role of mitochondrial dynamics in regulating oxidative stress-mediated arterial calcium accrual and bone loss. ..
- Tao X, Li G, Wu Y, Liu Y, Zhao Y, Shi Y, et al. Relationship between intracranial internal carotid artery calcification and enlarged cerebral perivascular space. Neuroradiology. 2017;59:577-586 pubmed publisher..004). Higher enlarged PVS scores were associated with a lesser degree of IICA calcification. There appears to be a relationship between reduced risk of IICA calcification and enlarged PVS. ..
- Baek J, Yoo J, Song D, Kim Y, Nam H, Heo J. The Protective Effect of Middle Cerebral Artery Calcification on Symptomatic Middle Cerebral Artery Infarction. Stroke. 2017;48:3138-3141 pubmed publisher..46; 95% confidence interval, 0.23-0.92; P=0.027). This study showed that calcified atherosclerosis in the MCA was less frequently symptomatic. ..
- Lin R, Chen S, Liu G, Xue Y, Zhao X. Association Between Carotid Atherosclerotic Plaque Calcification and Intraplaque Hemorrhage: A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1228-1233 pubmed publisher..These findings may provide novel insights for understanding mechanisms of IPH. ..
- Chinetti Gbaguidi G, Daoudi M, Rosa M, Vinod M, Louvet L, Copin C, et al. Human Alternative Macrophages Populate Calcified Areas of Atherosclerotic Lesions and Display Impaired RANKL-Induced Osteoclastic Bone Resorption Activity. Circ Res. 2017;121:19-30 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification is a process similar to bone formation leading to an inappropriate deposition of calcium phosphate minerals in advanced atherosclerotic plaques...
- de Bie M, Buiten M, Rotmans J, Hogenbirk M, Schalij M, Rabelink T, et al. Abdominal aortic calcification on a plain X-ray and the relation with significant coronary artery disease in asymptomatic chronic dialysis patients. BMC Nephrol. 2017;18:82 pubmed publisher..This simple, non-invasive and cheap screening method could contribute to early identification of patients eligible for further screening of CAD. NTR948 , registered 10-4-2007 ; ISRCTN20479861 , registered 2-5-2007. ..
- Kim J, Lee D, Park S, Park C, Lee W, Oh K, et al. Increased risk for development of coronary artery calcification in subjects with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and systemic inflammation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180118 pubmed publisher..06 mg/L (1.67, 95% CI 1.01-2.77), though it was attenuated after adjustment for body mass index. The concomitant presence of NAFLD and systemic inflammation as assessed by hs-CRP increases the risk of CAC development over four years. ..
- Fukushi K, Hatakeyama S, Yamamoto H, Tobisawa Y, Yoneyama T, Soma O, et al. Aortic calcification burden predicts deterioration of renal function after radical nephrectomy. BMC Urol. 2017;17:13 pubmed publisher..Aortic calcification burden is a potential predictor of deterioration of renal function after radical nephrectomy. This study was registered as a clinical trial: UMIN000023577. ..
- Pettersson M, Bergendal B, Norderyd J, Nilsson D, Anderlid B, Nordgren A, et al. Further evidence for specific IFIH1 mutation as a cause of Singleton-Merten syndrome with phenotypic heterogeneity. Am J Med Genet A. 2017;173:1396-1399 pubmed publisher..Investigations of known SLE genes as well as a single nucleotide polymorphism suggested to be involved in development of SLE were normal. ..
- Bischetti S, Scimeca M, Bonanno E, Federici M, Anemona L, Menghini R, et al. Carotid plaque instability is not related to quantity but to elemental composition of calcification. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:768-774 pubmed publisher..The presence of different types of calcification in atheromatous plaques may open new perspectives in understanding the molecular mechanisms of atheroma formation and plaque instability. ..
- Zhang K, Zhang Y, Feng W, Chen R, Chen J, Touyz R, et al. Interleukin-18 Enhances Vascular Calcification and Osteogenic Differentiation of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells Through TRPM7 Activation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1933-1943 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification (VC) is an important predictor of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. Osteogenic differentiation of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) is a key mechanism of VC...
- Choi H, Lee C, Lee J, Yang H, Kim H, Park H, et al. Loss of nighttime blood pressure dipping as a risk factor for coronary artery calcification in nondialysis chronic kidney disease. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7380 pubmed publisher..Nighttime loss of diurnal variation in BP is an independent risk factor for CAC in CKD patients. ..
- Alpers C, Imrey P, Hudkins K, Wietecha T, Radeva M, Allon M, et al. Histopathology of Veins Obtained at Hemodialysis Arteriovenous Fistula Creation Surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:3076-3088 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we observed preexisting abnormalities, including neointimal hyperplasia and prominent accumulation of extracellular matrix, in veins used for AVF creation from a substantial proportion of this cohort. ..
- Onuma O, Pencina K, Qazi S, Massaro J, D Agostino R, Chuang M, et al. Relation of Risk Factors and Abdominal Aortic Calcium to Progression of Coronary Artery Calcium (from the Framingham Heart Study). Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1584-1589 pubmed publisher..74 (0.70 to 0.78). In conclusion, standard cardiovascular disease risk factors are associated with incidence and progression of CAC and AAC, and AAC augments CAC incidence and progression above cardiovascular disease risk factors. ..
- Wolk M, Bailey S, Doherty J, Douglas P, Hendel R, Kramer C, et al. ACCF/AHA/ASE/ASNC/HFSA/HRS/SCAI/SCCT/SCMR/STS 2013 multimodality appropriate use criteria for the detection and risk assessment of stable ischemic heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task . J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:380-406 pubmed publisher..Imaging for an exercise prescription or prior to the initiation of cardiac rehabilitation was Rarely Appropriate except for cardiac rehabilitation clearance for heart failure patients. ..
- Chen N, Hsu C, Chen C. The Strategy to Prevent and Regress the Vascular Calcification in Dialysis Patients. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9035193 pubmed publisher..as phosphate retention, excess calcium, and prolonged dialysis time also contribute to the development of vascular calcification. The strategies are to reverse "calcium paradox" and lower vascular calcification by decreasing ..
- Mahabadi A, Lehmann N, Kälsch H, Robens T, Bauer M, Dykun I, et al. Association of epicardial adipose tissue with progression of coronary artery calcification is more pronounced in the early phase of atherosclerosis: results from the Heinz Nixdorf recall study. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014;7:909-16 pubmed..8% [95% CI: -26.7% to 38.9%]; p = 0.96). EAT is associated with the progression of CAC, especially in young subjects and subjects with low CAC score, suggesting that EAT may promote early atherosclerosis development. ..
- Kerwin W, Miller Z, Yuan C. Imaging of the high-risk carotid plaque: magnetic resonance imaging. Semin Vasc Surg. 2017;30:54-61 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this article is to review the carotid plaque magnetic resonance imaging techniques that are most ready for integration into the clinic. ..
- Hamilton Craig C, Chow C, Younger J, Jelinek V, Chan J, Liew G. Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand position statement executive summary: coronary artery calcium scoring. Med J Aust. 2017;207:357-361 pubmed..High risk patients are treated with a high efficacy statin and aspirin. Very low risk patients (ie, CAC score of zero) do not benefit from treatment...
- Hoogerwaard A, de Jong M, Adiyaman A, Smit J, Delnoy P, Heeg J, et al. Renal vascular calcification and response to renal nerve denervation in resistant hypertension. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6611 pubmed publisher..Our preliminary data showed that the extent of renal perivascular calcification is not associated with the ABPM response to RDN in patients with resistant hypertension. ..
- Shin D, Lee Y, Oh J, Yoon J, Rhee S, Kim E, et al. Vascular calcification and cardiac function according to residual renal function in patients on hemodialysis with urination. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185296 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification is common and may affect cardiac function in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Bai Y, Xu J, Tian T, Zhang J, Cui L, Zhang H, et al. [Effect and mechanism of intermittent alkaline stimulation on high phosphorus induced calcification in vascular smooth muscle cells of rats]. Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi. 2017;45:519-525 pubmed publisher..05]?????ph7.5???????ph7.6??????[(143.5±6.1)mg/g???p<0.05]?????ph7.6???????ph7.7??????[(205.1±8.2)mg/g???p<0.05]? ??? ????????????????vsmc??????????ltcc ?(3)?????????????????vsmc??????????. ..
- Kim S, Oh D, Jung K, Lee J, Kim H, Kim H, et al. The association between the apolipoprotein B/A-I ratio and coronary calcification may differ depending on kidney function in a healthy population. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185522 pubmed publisher..Our study showed that the predictive value of apolipoprotein B/A-I ratio for coronary artery calcification may differ according to kidney function. ..
- Kwon O, Kang S, Kang S, Lee P, Yun S, Ahn J, et al. Relationship Between Serum Inflammatory Marker Levels and the Dynamic Changes in Coronary Plaque Characteristics After Statin Therapy. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..URL: https://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00997880. ..
- Bailey G, Healy A, Young B, Sharma E, Meadows J, Chun H, et al. Relative predictive value of lung cancer screening CT versus myocardial perfusion attenuation correction CT in the evaluation of coronary calcium. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175678 pubmed publisher..It is therefore reasonable to use LCSCT images to derive and report Agatston-based CACS for cardiovascular risk assessment, whereas the use of ACCT images to report Agatston-based CACS is not currently practical. ..
- Jud P, Gary T, Tiesenhausen K, Portugaller R, Hackl G, Brodmann M. Renal failure caused by a partly calcified aortic aneurysm in a patient with dabigatran therapy: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6789 pubmed publisher..Nonruptured AAAs can cause rare, unusual, and even life-threatening complications depending on their size and anatomical position. ..
- Al Kindi M, Bélanger A, Sayegh K, Senouci S, Aljenedil S, Sivakumaran L, et al. Aortic Calcification Progression in Heterozygote Familial Hypercholesterolemia. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:658-665 pubmed publisher..Strategies to prevent aortic calcifications with statins have not met with clinical success and novel approaches are required; statins might also contribute to the process of arterial calcification. ..
- Kurnatowska I, Grzelak P, Masajtis Zagajewska A, Kaczmarska M, Stefanczyk L, Vermeer C, et al. Effect of vitamin K2 on progression of atherosclerosis and vascular calcification in nondialyzed patients with chronic kidney disease stages 3-5. Pol Arch Med Wewn. 2015;125:631-40 pubmed..that high dietary intake of vitamin K2 is associated with reduced risk of coronary vascular disease and vascular calcification. We assessed the effect of vitamin K2 substitution on the progression of atherosclerosis and calcification ..
- Aburahma A, Derderian T, Hariri N, Adams E, AbuRahma J, Dean L, et al. Anatomical and technical predictors of perioperative clinical outcomes after carotid artery stenting. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:423-432 pubmed publisher..The ACCUNET EPD was associated with lower MAE rates. There was no correlation between other anatomical/technical variables and CAS outcome. ..
- Hodroge A, Trécherel E, Cornu M, Darwiche W, Mansour A, Ait Mohand K, et al. Oligogalacturonic Acid Inhibits Vascular Calcification by Two Mechanisms: Inhibition of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Osteogenic Conversion and Interaction With Collagen. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1391-1401 pubmed publisher..b>Vascular calcification is actively regulated by inductive and inhibitory mechanisms (including vascular smooth muscle cell ..
- Sarmento Dias M, Santos Araújo C, Poínhos R, Oliveira B, Silva I, Silva L, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 23 is associated with left ventricular hypertrophy, not with uremic vasculopathy in peritoneal dialysis patients. Clin Nephrol. 2016;85:135-41 pubmed publisher..In this study, we aimed to assess the relationship between FGF23 and LVH, endothelial dysfunction, vascular calcification, and arterial stiffness in 48 stable PD patients...
- Chowdhury M, Makris G, Tarkin J, Joshi F, Hayes P, Rudd J, et al. Lower limb arterial calcification (LLAC) scores in patients with symptomatic peripheral arterial disease are associated with increased cardiac mortality and morbidity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182952 pubmed publisher..This is the largest study to investigate links between lower limb arterial calcification and cardiovascular events in symptomatic PAD. We describe a straightforward, reproducible, CT-derived measure of calcification-the LLAC score. ..
- Bittner D, Mayrhofer T, Bamberg F, Hallett T, Janjua S, Addison D, et al. Impact of Coronary Calcification on Clinical Management in Patients With Acute Chest Pain. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifiers: NCT01084239 and NCT00933400. ..
- McRobb L, McGrath K, Tsatralis T, Liong E, Tan J, Hughes G, et al. Estrogen Receptor Control of Atherosclerotic Calcification and Smooth Muscle Cell Osteogenic Differentiation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1127-1137 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification is associated with increased risk of myocardial infarction and stroke...
- Gepner A, Young R, Delaney J, Tattersall M, Blaha M, Post W, et al. Comparison of coronary artery calcium presence, carotid plaque presence, and carotid intima-media thickness for cardiovascular disease prediction in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015;8: pubmed publisher..In adults without CVD, CAC presence improves prediction of CVD and CHD more than carotid plaque presence or high IMT. CAC and carotid ultrasound parameters performed similarly for stroke/transient ischemic attack event prediction. ..
- Ter Braake A, Shanahan C, de Baaij J. Magnesium Counteracts Vascular Calcification: Passive Interference or Active Modulation?. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1431-1445 pubmed publisher..A substantial body of in vitro and in vivo studies has identified a protective role for magnesium in vascular calcification. However, the precise mechanisms and its contribution to cardiovascular protection remain unclear...
- Hernandes F, Canziani M, Barreto F, Santos R, Moreira V, Rochitte C, et al. The shift from high to low turnover bone disease after parathyroidectomy is associated with the progression of vascular calcification in hemodialysis patients: A 12-month follow-up study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174811 pubmed publisher..reduction of bone turnover, which is associated with poor outcomes in dialysis patients, including vascular calcification (VC)...
- Hao W, Yang R, Yang Y, Jin S, Li Y, Yuan F, et al. Stellate ganglion block ameliorates vascular calcification by inhibiting endoplasmic reticulum stress. Life Sci. 2018;193:1-8 pubmed publisherb>Vascular calcification (VC) underlies substantial cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. No clinically therapies have emerged presently...
- Hong D, Wu S, Pu L, Wang F, Wang J, Wang Z, et al. Abdominal aortic calcification is not superior over other vascular calcification in predicting mortality in hemodialysis patients: a retrospective observational study. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14:120 pubmed publisher..Global Outcomes) guidelines recommend that a lateral abdominal radiograph should be performed to assess vascular calcification (VC) in dialysis patients...
- Nam S, Kang S, Song S. The Neutrophil-Lymphocyte Ratio Is Associated with Coronary Artery Calcification in Asymptomatic Korean Males: A Cross-Sectional Study. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:1989417 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the NLR is a significant predictor of potential CVD in male subjects with subclinical atherosclerosis. ..
- Choi S, Ryu H, Oh E, Choi J, Cho J, Kim C, et al. Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor gemigliptin protects against vascular calcification in an experimental chronic kidney disease and vascular smooth muscle cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180393 pubmed publisher..have various pleiotropic effects, it remains undetermined whether gemigliptin has a beneficial effect on vascular calcification. Therefore, this study was performed to evaluate the effect of gemigliptin on vascular calcification in a ..