retinal photoreceptor cell outer segment
Summary: The light sensitive outer portion of a retinal rod or a cone photoreceptor cell. The outer segment contains a stack of disk membranes laden with photoreceptive pigments (RETINAL PIGMENTS). The outer segment is connected to the inner segment by a PHOTORECEPTOR CONNECTING CILIUM.
- Wanek J, Blair N, Chau F, Lim J, Leiderman Y, Shahidi M. Alterations in Retinal Layer Thickness and Reflectance at Different Stages of Diabetic Retinopathy by En Face Optical Coherence Tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:OCT341-7 pubmed publisher..05) and INL intensity was higher in all macular subfields (P = 0.04) compared to CNTL. Depth and spatially resolved retinal thickness and reflectance measurements are potential biomarkers for assessment and monitoring of DR. ..
- Borrelli E, Abdelfattah N, Uji A, Nittala M, Boyer D, Sadda S. Postreceptor Neuronal Loss in Intermediate Age-related Macular Degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;181:1-11 pubmed publisher..This study supports the concept of postreceptor retinal neuronal loss as a contributor to retinal thinning in intermediate AMD. ..
- Runkle A, Kaiser P, Srivastava S, Schachat A, Reese J, Ehlers J. OCT Angiography and Ellipsoid Zone Mapping of Macular Telangiectasia Type 2 From the AVATAR Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3683-3689 pubmed publisher..OCT-A was a useful adjunct for determining disease severity. ..
- Hendriks M, Verhoeven V, Buitendijk G, Polling J, Meester Smoor M, Hofman A, et al. Development of Refractive Errors-What Can We Learn From Inherited Retinal Dystrophies?. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;182:81-89 pubmed publisher..35]) with the highest degree of hyperopia. Refractive errors, in particular myopia, are common in IRD. The bipolar synapse and the inner and outer segments of the photoreceptor may serve as critical sites for myopia development. ..
- Greenstein V, Nunez J, Lee W, Schuerch K, Fortune B, Tsang S, et al. A Comparison of En Face Optical Coherence Tomography and Fundus Autofluorescence in Stargardt Disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5227-5236 pubmed publisher..The spatial locations of hyperreflective flecks on the en face preRPE(OS) slab image corresponded to those on the SW-AF images. Wide-field en face OCT imaging has the potential to be a clinically useful tool for the management of STGD1. ..