Genomes and Genes
Summary: Small clusters of chemoreceptive and supporting cells located near the ARCH OF THE AORTA; the PULMONARY ARTERIES; and the CORONARY ARTERIES. The aortic bodies sense PH; CARBON DIOXIDE; and OXYGEN concentrations in the BLOOD and participate in the control of RESPIRATION. The aortic bodies should not be confused with the PARA-AORTIC BODIES in the abdomen (which are sometimes also called aortic bodies).
- Pinar S. [The watershed histology of Jose Fernandez Nonidez and the introduction of Mendelian chromosome theory in Spain]. Asclepio. 2002;54:3-18 pubmed
- Yamamoto Y, Taniguchi K. Immunolocalization of tandem pore domain K+ channels in the rat carotid body. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2006;580:9-14; discussion 351-9 pubmed
- Vos J. [Diagnostic image (63). Paraganglioma]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2001;145:2173 pubmed..A 33-year-old woman was examined for a non-tender mass in the neck. Imaging findings were consistent with paraganglioma. The diagnosis was confirmed at surgery. ..
- Tanimoto T, Takeda M, Nishikawa T, Matsumoto S. The role of 5-hydroxytryptamine3 receptors in the vagal afferent activation-induced inhibition of the first cervical dorsal horn spinal neurons projected from tooth pulp in the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;311:803-10 pubmed
- Chapman D, Lippert D, Geer C, Edwards H, Russell G, Rees C, et al. Clinical, histopathologic, and radiographic indicators of malignancy in head and neck paragangliomas. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;143:531-7 pubmed publisher..The goal of this study is to review our series of head and neck paragangliomas to identify factors that may help in predicting malignancy...
- Milia M, Turri L, Beldi D, Deantonio L, Pareschi R, Krengli M. Multidisciplinary approach in the treatment of malignant paraganglioma of the glomus vagale: a case report. Tumori. 2011;97:225-8 pubmed publisher..Multicenter studies should be done to increase the knowledge of tumor presentation and natural history and to analyze the possible treatment options. ..
- Fitzgerald R, Dehghani G, Kiihl S. Organismal Responses to Hypoxemic Challenges. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;860:101-13 pubmed publisher..HH stimulates both CBs and aortic bodies (ABs), whereas COH stimulates only the ABs...
- Jyung R, LeClair E, Bernat R, Kang T, Ung F, McKenna M, et al. Expression of angiogenic growth factors in paragangliomas. Laryngoscope. 2000;110:161-7 pubmed..To determine if angiogenic growth factors including vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor (PD-ECGF) are expressed in human paragangliomas...
- Ito S, Ohta T, Nakazato Y. Characteristics of 5-HT-containing chemoreceptor cells of the chicken aortic body. J Physiol. 1999;515 ( Pt 1):49-59 pubmed..5. These results suggest that epithelioid cells containing 5-HT act as chemoreceptor cells in the chicken aortic body, having voltage-dependent Na+, K+, and L- and N-type Ca2+ channels, and oxygen-sensitive K+ channels. ..
- Nakagawa T, Sakai H, Yanai T, Kitoh K, Mori T, Murakami M, et al. Simultaneous aortic body tumor and pulmonary histiocytic sarcoma in a flat-coated retriever. J Vet Med Sci. 2009;71:1221-3 pubmed..The occurrence of aortic body tumor with other primary neoplasms has been previously reported in animals suggesting that this might be a common presentation in dogs. ..
- Pupka A, Janczak D, Skóra J, Barć P, Pawłowski S, Ruciński A. [The use of the synthetic silver coated prosthesis and penduculated omentum flap in the treatment of prostheses infection]. Polim Med. 2009;39:57-60 pubmed..The retrocolical and retroperitoneal omentoplasty seems to be a practical modification of aorto-duodenal fistula treatment with useful protection of duodenal plastic. ..
- Piskuric N, Nurse C. Expanding role of ATP as a versatile messenger at carotid and aortic body chemoreceptors. J Physiol. 2013;591:415-22 pubmed publisher..at the carotid bifurcation, control primarily respiratory functions, those in the more diffusely distributed aortic bodies (ABs) are thought to regulate mainly cardiovascular functions...
- Fitzgerald R, Dehghani G, Kiihl S. Autonomic control of the cardiovascular system in the cat during hypoxemia. Auton Neurosci. 2013;174:21-30 pubmed publisher..study aimed to determine the roles played by the autonomic interoreceptors, the carotid bodies (cbs) and the aortic bodies (abs) in anesthetized, paralyzed, artificially ventilated cats' response to systemic hypoxemia...
- Ichikawa H, Terayama R, Yamaai T, Yan Z, Sugimoto T. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-immunoreactive neurons in the rat vagal and glossopharyngeal sensory ganglia; co-expression with other neurochemical substances. Brain Res. 2007;1155:93-9 pubmed..2%). However, BDNF-immunoreactive neurons were devoid of parvalbumin in these ganglia. The present findings suggest that BDNF-containing vagal and glossopharyngeal sensory neurons have nociceptive and chemoreceptive functions. ..
- Silva B, Vianna L, Oliveira R, Ricardo D, Araújo C. Similar cardiac vagal withdrawal at the onset of arm and leg dynamic exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2008;102:695-701 pubmed..94, P < 0.001; RRC r (i) = 0.85, P < 0.001; CVI r (i) = 0.81, P < 0.001). We conclude that similar cardiac vagal withdrawal was induced by 4-s fast unloaded cycling exercise performed with arms or legs. ..
- Taha A, King A. Aortico-pulmonary bodies in the domestic fowl: ultrastructure, innervation and secretion. J Anat. 1986;149:41-53 pubmed..It is therefore suggested that the aortico-pulmonary bodies of the domestic fowl have a chemoreceptor function similar to that of the carotid body. It is also suggested that they may have a general secretory function. ..
- Yendamuri S, Elfar M, Walkes J, Reardon M. Aortic paraganglioma requiring resection and replacement of the aortic root. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2007;6:830-1 pubmed..This case report demonstrates the resection of an aortic root paraganglioma incidentally discovered in a 32-year-old male with replacement of the root for an oncologically complete resection...
- Carr M, Kollarik M, Meeker S, Undem B. A role for TRPV1 in bradykinin-induced excitation of vagal airway afferent nerve terminals. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003;304:1275-9 pubmed..Our data suggest a role for lipoxygenase products in bradykinin B(2) receptor-induced activation of TRPV1 in the peripheral terminals of afferent C-fibers within guinea pig trachea. ..
- Sterczer A, Nemeth T, Mandoki M, Galfi P, Jakab C. A case of synchronous hepatocellular carcinoma and aortic body chemodectoma in a dog - pathological case report. Acta Vet Hung. 2011;59:113-21 pubmed publisher..The authors believe that this is the first description of synchronously occurring hepatocellular carcinoma and aortic body chemodectoma in a dog. ..
- Taha A, Abdalla M. Ultrastructural morphometric observations on the extramural aortico-pulmonary bodies of the domestic fowl. J Anat. 1988;157:169-73 pubmed..The results obtained in the present study are compared with other similar studies on the aortic and carotid bodies of mammals. ..
- Paltrinieri S, Riccaboni P, Rondena M, Giudice C. Pathologic and immunohistochemical findings in a feline aortic body tumor. Vet Pathol. 2004;41:195-8 pubmed..Based on histologic and immunohistochemical findings, the diagnosis of chemodectoma was made...
- Ohnuki K, Moritani T, Ishihara K, Fushiki T. Capsaicin increases modulation of sympathetic nerve activity in rats: measurement using power spectral analysis of heart rate fluctuations. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65:638-43 pubmed..These results suggest that power spectral analysis is an effective and noninvasive method for detecting subtle changes in autonomic activity in response to the intake of foods or drugs. ..
- Habeck J, Przybylski J. Carotid and aortic bodies in chronically anemic normotensive and spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Auton Nerv Syst. 1989;28:219-25 pubmed..The purpose of the present study was to answer the question whether the aortic bodies were also enlarged in SHR...
- Powley T. Vagal circuitry mediating cephalic-phase responses to food. Appetite. 2000;34:184-8 pubmed..Recent structural analyses of the dorsal vagal complex, as well as characterizations of the region's inputs and neurochemistry, have provided a more complete understanding of the neural basis of cephalic-phase responses. ..
- Schwartz C, Medow M, Messer Z, Stewart J. Spontaneous fluctuation indices of the cardiovagal baroreflex accurately measure the baroreflex sensitivity at the operating point during upright tilt. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013;304:R1107-13 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, spontaneous measurements of cardiovagal baroreflex function accurately estimate the slope near operating points in both supine and upright position. ..
- Kritzenberger M, Wrobel K. Immunophenotyping and spatio-temporal distribution of aortic cell clusters in the bovine embryo. Anat Embryol (Berl). 2006;211:739-55 pubmed..These observations suggest that the hematopoietic cell clusters induce the formation of a specific microenvironment within the aortic wall. ..
- Gilman M, Floras J, Usui K, Kaneko Y, Leung R, Bradley T. Continuous positive airway pressure increases heart rate variability in heart failure patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. Clin Sci (Lond). 2008;114:243-9 pubmed..01). In conclusion, treatment of coexisting OSA by nocturnal CPAP in patients with heart failure increases HF-HRV during morning wakefulness, indicating improved vagal modulation of heart rate. This may contribute to improved prognosis. ..
- Yamamoto Y, Taniguchi K. Heterogeneous expression of TASK-3 and TRAAK in rat paraganglionic cells. Histochem Cell Biol. 2003;120:335-9 pubmed
- Uchino M, Ito K, Kuwahara M, Ebukuro S, Tsubone H. Interactions of carotid sinus or aortic input with emetic signals from gastric afferents and vestibular system. Auton Neurosci. 2008;144:36-42 pubmed publisher..In contrast, carotid sinus inputs, which are usually non-emetic signals, interact with vagal and vestibular inputs, and modulate the development of retching and vomiting. ..
- Yanbuloğlu B, Celebi I, Yanbuloğlu U, Vural C. Two synchronous glomus tumors simulating a single mass: glomus vagale and glomus caroticum. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2006;12:177-9 pubmed..We report one patient with two synchronous glomus tumors, ipsilateral glomus tumor of the carotid body and glomus vagale on the right neck, simulating a single mass. ..
- Bucinskaite V, Kurosawa M, Lundeberg T. Exogenous cholecystokinin-8 reduces vagal efferent nerve activity in rats through CCK(A) receptors. Br J Pharmacol. 2000;129:1649-54 pubmed..The results suggest that the effect of systemically administered CCK-8 on vagal efferent activity is mediated by both peripherally (subdiaphragmatically) and centrally localized CCK(A) receptors. ..
- Brown P, Rema A, Gartner F. Immunohistochemical characteristics of canine aortic and carotid body tumours. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2003;50:140-4 pubmed..Immunohistochemistry did not aid in recognition of less well-differentiated tumours. ..
- Aresu L, Tursi M, Iussich S, Guarda F, Valenza F. Use of s-100 and chromogranin a antibodies as immunohistochemical markers on detection of malignancy in aortic body tumors in dog. J Vet Med Sci. 2006;68:1229-33 pubmed..This report indicates that the immunohistochemical panel has utility for the diagnosis of chemodectoma and the negative staining to CrA and S-100 markers in tumors grade III expresses an indication of malignant behaviour of the tumor. ..
- Ramirez Navarro A, Glazebrook P, Kane Sutton M, Padro C, Kline D, Kunze D. Kv1.3 channels regulate synaptic transmission in the nucleus of solitary tract. J Neurophysiol. 2011;105:2772-80 pubmed publisher..3 regulates the duration of the action potential in the presynaptic terminal of C fibers, limiting transmitter release to the postsynaptic cell. ..
- Kameda Y. Evidence to support the distal vagal ganglion as the origin of C cells of the ultimobranchial gland in the chick. J Comp Neurol. 1995;359:1-14 pubmed..e., C cells differentiate along the neuronal lineage. During embryonic development, C cells of the chick ultimobranchial glands transiently express a number of neuronal properties...
- Wennerblom B, Lurje L, Karlsson T, Tygesen H, Vahisalo R, Hjalmarson A -. Circadian variation of heart rate variability and the rate of autonomic change in the morning hours in healthy subjects and angina patients. Int J Cardiol. 2001;79:61-9 pubmed..IS-5-MN and metoprolol tended to normalise vagal withdrawal and metoprolol slowed down the rapid increase in sympathetic predominance in the morning in patients. ..
- Yang H, Hu S. [Seizure inhibition by vagal nerve stimulation in rats]. Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao. 2002;22:716-8 pubmed..Conclusion Vagal nerve stimulation can inhibit the epileptic activity in rats, the effect of which depends on the stimulation conditions imposed on the rats. ..
- Gliatto J, Crawford M, Snider T, Pechman R. Multiple organ metastasis of an aortic body tumor in a boxer. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1987;191:1110-2 pubmed..Macroscopic and/or microscopic evidence of metastasis of the tumor was seen in the lungs, myocardium, spleen, liver, kidneys, and dura mater over the cerebellum...
- Riley N, Allison R. A glomus vagale tumour presenting with acute left ventricular failure. J Laryngol Otol. 2003;117:660-1 pubmed..Clinical effects of secretion reported previously have been minimal. We report a case where resistant hypertension was eventually found to be due to a secretory glomus vagale, and was greatly alleviated by removal of the lesion. ..
- Suarez Nieto C, Llorente Pendás J, Gómez Martínez J. [Surgical treatment of vagal paragangliomas]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2009;60 Suppl 1:97-105 pubmed..If the tumor involves the jugular fossa, in addition to the cervical approach, a transpetrous approach is also required. Expectant management and radiotherapy are often valid options. ..
- Rydlewska A, Ponikowska B, Borodulin Nadzieja L, Banasiak W, Jankowska E, Ponikowski P. [Assessment of chemoreflex involved in reflex cardio-respiratory control]. Przegl Lek. 2011;68:179-83 pubmed..medullary surface, sensitive to hypercapnea and acidosis) and peripheral (located in the carotid and aortic bodies, sensitive to hypoxia) chemoreceptors, pointing out a physiological and clinical aspects of their application.
- Vigmond E, Tsoi V, Kuo S, Arevalo H, Kneller J, Nattel S, et al. The effect of vagally induced dispersion of action potential duration on atrial arrhythmogenesis. Heart Rhythm. 2004;1:334-44 pubmed..4) Large islands displayed more wave breakup but could sometimes anchor reentries. Large APD gradients produced by ACh heterogeneity can lead to a breakdown of organized activity. ..
- Tasar M, Yetiser S. Glomus tumors: therapeutic role of selective embolization. J Craniofac Surg. 2004;15:497-505 pubmed..The results indicate that the use of embolotherapy in the treatment of glomus tumors must be basically preoperative but is not curative...
- Forbes T. Glomus vagale: paraganglioma of the vagus nerve. J Am Coll Surg. 2002;194:540 pubmed
- Ibrahim B, Tamrakar P, Gujar A, Cherian A, Briski K. Caudal fourth ventricular administration of the AMPK activator 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-riboside regulates glucose and counterregulatory hormone profiles, dorsal vagal complex metabolosensory neuron function, and hypothalamic Fos expression. J Neurosci Res. 2013;91:1226-38 pubmed publisher
- Franchi F, Lazzeri C, Barletta G, Ianni L, Mannelli M. Centrally mediated effects of bromocriptine on cardiac sympathovagal balance. Hypertension. 2001;38:123-9 pubmed..We demonstrated both peripheral and central effects of bromocriptine. In particular, pretreatment with a peripheral antagonist (domperidone) allowed us to unmask the central effect of bromocriptine on cardiac sympathetic drive. ..
- Evans J, Collins M. Clinically diagnosed glomus vagale tumour treated with external beam radiotherapy: a review of the published reports. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2008;52:617-21 pubmed publisher..Glomus vagale tumours are rare and should be managed in a multidisciplinary head and neck clinic with both surgical and radiation oncology opinions offered. The toxicities and outcomes of both methods should be discussed. ..
- Kim S, Hyun C, Cho K. Unusual metastasis of malignant aortic body tumor to multiple bones in a dog. J Vet Med Sci. 2005;67:625-7 pubmed..This is thought to be an extremely rare case having multiple bone metastases of a malignant aortic body tumor. ..
- Szyfter W, Kawczyński M. [Glomus vagale tumor--diagnosis and treatment]. Otolaryngol Pol. 2003;57:911-5 pubmed..Vagal chemodectomas are histologically benign, but are one of the most difficult tumors of the skull base to manage. Authors present a case of 56 years old woman with glomus vagale tumor treated in ENT Dept. in Pozna?. ..
- Dalla Vecchia L, Barbic F, Galli A, Pisacreta M, Gornati R, Porretta T, et al. Favorable effects of carotid endarterectomy on baroreflex sensitivity and cardiovascular neural modulation: a 4-month follow-up. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2013;304:R1114-20 pubmed publisher..Baroreceptor sensitivity improvement might play an additional role in the more favorable outcome observed in patients after carotid surgery. ..
- Tubek S, Niewiński P, Reczuch K, Janczak D, Ruciński A, Paleczny B, et al. Effects of selective carotid body stimulation with adenosine in conscious humans. J Physiol. 2016;594:6225-6240 pubmed publisher..However, the contribution of particular chemosensory areas (carotid vs. aortic bodies) to this response is unclear...