Genomes and Genes
sensory receptor cells
Summary: Specialized afferent neurons capable of transducing sensory stimuli into NERVE IMPULSES to be transmitted to the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. Sometimes sensory receptors for external stimuli are called exteroceptors; for internal stimuli are called interoceptors and proprioceptors.
- Wang Y, Zhang H, Shi M, Liou Y, Lu L, Yu F. Sec71 functions as a GEF for the small GTPase Arf1 to govern dendrite pruning of Drosophila sensory neurons. Development. 2017;144:1851-1862 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Sec71/Arf1-mediated trafficking process is a prerequisite for Rab5-dependent endocytosis to facilitate endocytosis and degradation of the cell-adhesion molecule Neuroglian (Nrg). ..
- Zhang Y, Smolen P, Baxter D, Byrne J. Biphasic Regulation of p38 MAPK by Serotonin Contributes to the Efficacy of Stimulus Protocols That Induce Long-Term Synaptic Facilitation. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..For example, decreased p38 MAPK activity ?45 min after the first of two sensitizing stimuli might be an important determinant of an optimal interstimulus interval (ISI) for LTF induction. ..
- Brown H, Desai T, Murphy A, Pancholi H, Schmidt Z, Swahn H, et al. The function of Drosophila larval class IV dendritic arborization sensory neurons in the larval-pupal transition is separable from their function in mechanical nociception responses. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184950 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates for the first time that the roles of the class IV da neurons in governing two critical larval behaviors, the larval-pupal transition and mechanical nociception, are functionally separable from each other. ..
- Berthoud H, Bereiter D, Trimble E, Siegel E, Jeanrenaud B. Cephalic phase, reflex insulin secretion. Neuroanatomical and physiological characterization. Diabetologia. 1981;20 Suppl:393-401 pubmed
- Choi Kwon S, Baertschi A. Splanchnic osmosensation and vasopressin: mechanisms and neural pathways. Am J Physiol. 1991;261:E18-25 pubmed..Thus splanchnic receptors are osmosensitive, are situated in the mesentery of the upper small intestine and possibly the portal vein area, and project to the spinal cord via the right and left major splanchnic nerves. ..
- Tosches M. Developmental and genetic mechanisms of neural circuit evolution. Dev Biol. 2017;431:16-25 pubmed publisher..Sensory systems, in particular, seem to evolve along trajectories that enhance their evolvability, ensuring adaptation to different environments. ..
- Ghitani N, Barik A, Szczot M, Thompson J, Li C, Le Pichon C, et al. Specialized Mechanosensory Nociceptors Mediating Rapid Responses to Hair Pull. Neuron. 2017;95:944-954.e4 pubmed publisher..Together, the distinctive features of this class of A?-HTMRs appear optimized for accurate and rapid localization of mechanical pain. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- . Effects of a long-term lifestyle modification programme on peripheral neuropathy in overweight or obese adults with type 2 diabetes: the Look AHEAD study. Diabetologia. 2017;60:980-988 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects on diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) of a long-term intensive lifestyle intervention (ILI) programme designed to achieve and maintain weight loss...
- Qi L, Huang C, Wu X, Tao Y, Yan J, Shi T, et al. Hierarchical Specification of Pruriceptors by Runt-Domain Transcription Factor Runx1. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5549-5561 pubmed publisher..Such hierarchical control mechanisms may provide a developmental solution for the formation of sensory circuits that transmit distinct modalities. ..
- Sinha S, Fu Y, Grimont A, Ketcham M, Lafaro K, Saglimbeni J, et al. PanIN Neuroendocrine Cells Promote Tumorigenesis via Neuronal Cross-talk. Cancer Res. 2017;77:1868-1879 pubmed publisher..These findings identify neuroepithelial cross-talk as a potential novel target in PDAC treatment. Cancer Res; 77(8); 1868-79. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Minnerly J, Zhang J, Parker T, Kaul T, Jia K. The cell non-autonomous function of ATG-18 is essential for neuroendocrine regulation of Caenorhabditis elegans lifespan. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006764 pubmed publisher..elegans lifespan through the transcription factor DAF-16/FOXO in response to reduced IGF signaling. ..
- Busengdal H, Rentzsch F. Unipotent progenitors contribute to the generation of sensory cell types in the nervous system of the cnidarian Nematostella vectensis. Dev Biol. 2017;431:59-68 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that intermediate progenitor cells and symmetric divisions contribute to the formation of the seemingly simple nervous system of a sea anemone. ..
- Tanabe Y, Shimizu C, Hamada A, Hashimoto K, Ikeda K, Nishizawa D, et al. Paclitaxel-induced sensory peripheral neuropathy is associated with an ABCB1 single nucleotide polymorphism and older age in Japanese. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2017;79:1179-1186 pubmed publisher..005 and p = 0.034, respectively). ABCB1 1236 TT genotype and older age might be a predictor of PIPN, which diminishes quality of life of cancer survivors. ..
- Murakami S, Minami Ohtsubo M, Nakato R, Shirahige K, Tabata T. Two Components of Aversive Memory in Drosophila, Anesthesia-Sensitive and Anesthesia-Resistant Memory, Require Distinct Domains Within the Rgk1 Small GTPase. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5496-5510 pubmed publisher..Rgk1 is required for both ASM and ARM. Moreover, N-terminal domain-deleted Rgk1 was sufficient for ASM formation, whereas the full-length form was required for ARM formation. ..
- Sullivan L, Chavera T, Gao X, Pando M, Berg K. Regulation of ? Opioid Receptor-Mediated Signaling and Antinociception in Peripheral Sensory Neurons by Arachidonic Acid-Dependent 12/15-Lipoxygenase Metabolites. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;362:200-209 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the analgesic efficacy of peripherally restricted opioids for treatment of inflammatory pain may be enhanced by adjunct inhibition of LOX activity. ..
- Miller R, Stein B, Rowland B. Multisensory Integration Uses a Real-Time Unisensory-Multisensory Transform. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5183-5194 pubmed publisher..It is now possible to use these principles to predict a neuron's multisensory response accurately armed only with knowledge of its unisensory responses. ..
- Gesslbauer B, Hruby L, Roche A, Farina D, Blumer R, Aszmann O. Axonal components of nerves innervating the human arm. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:396-408 pubmed publisher..Ann Neurol 2017;82:396-408. ..
- Clark A, Kaller M, Galino J, Willison H, Rinaldi S, Bennett D. Co-cultures with stem cell-derived human sensory neurons reveal regulators of peripheral myelination. Brain. 2017;140:898-913 pubmed publisher..awx012media15372351982001. ..
- Schrier R, Berl T. Nonosmolar factors affecting renal water excretion (first of two parts). N Engl J Med. 1975;292:81-8 pubmed
- Li W, Yi P, Zhu Z, Zhang X, Li W, Ou G. Centriole translocation and degeneration during ciliogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans neurons. EMBO J. 2017;36:2553-2566 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide a comprehensive model of ciliogenesis in sensory neurons and reveal the importance of the dynein-dependent centriole translocation in this process. ..
- Albisetti G, Ghanem A, Foster E, Conzelmann K, Zeilhofer H, Wildner H. Identification of Two Classes of Somatosensory Neurons That Display Resistance to Retrograde Infection by Rabies Virus. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10358-10371 pubmed publisher..In addition, identification of rabies-resistant neurons might provide a means for future studies addressing rabies pathobiology. ..
- Payrits M, Sághy É, Csekő K, Pohoczky K, Bölcskei K, Ernszt D, et al. Estradiol Sensitizes the Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 1 Receptor in Pain Responses. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3249-3258 pubmed publisher..The sensitization and upregulation of TRPV1 receptor by E2 in sensory neurons may explain the greater pain sensitivity in female mice. ..
- Henkin R. Drug-induced taste and smell disorders. Incidence, mechanisms and management related primarily to treatment of sensory receptor dysfunction. Drug Saf. 1994;11:318-77 pubmed
- Land M, Rubin C. A Calcium- and Diacylglycerol-Stimulated Protein Kinase C (PKC), Caenorhabditis elegans PKC-2, Links Thermal Signals to Learned Behavior by Acting in Sensory Neurons and Intestinal Cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..UNC-18 variants, created by mutating Ser311 or Ser322, disrupt thermotaxis and suppress PKC-2-dependent cryophilic migration. ..
- Wang W, Perens E, Oikonomou G, Wallace S, Lu Y, Shaham S. IGDB-2, an Ig/FNIII protein, binds the ion channel LGC-34 and controls sensory compartment morphogenesis in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2017;430:105-112 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a novel membrane protein complex and suggest possible mechanisms for how sensory compartment size is controlled. ..
- Silva J, Lopes A, Talbot J, Cecílio N, Rossato M, Silva R, et al. Neuroimmune-Glia Interactions in the Sensory Ganglia Account for the Development of Acute Herpetic Neuralgia. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6408-6422 pubmed publisher..1 in satellite glial cells. This study elucidates novel mechanisms involved in the genesis of acute herpetic neuralgia and open new avenues for its control. ..
- Meserve J, Duronio R. A population of G2-arrested cells are selected as sensory organ precursors for the interommatidial bristles of the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2017;430:374-384 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the control of cell cycle progression refines cell fate decisions and that the relationship between these two processes is not necessarily deterministic. ..
- Zhou Y, Loeza Cabrera M, Liu Z, Aleman Meza B, Nguyen J, Jung S, et al. Potential Nematode Alarm Pheromone Induces Acute Avoidance in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2017;206:1469-1478 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model that nematodes use a nematode-specific alarm pheromone to detect conspecific injury. ..
- Anand B, Chhina G, Sharma K, Dua S, Singh B. ACTIVITY OF SINGLE NEURONS IN THE HYPOTHALAMIC FEEDING CENTERS: EFFECT OF GLUCOSE. Am J Physiol. 1964;207:1146-54 pubmed
- Bargmann C. Neurobiology of the Caenorhabditis elegans genome. Science. 1998;282:2028-33 pubmed..For many gene families, C. elegans has both conventional members and divergent outliers with weak homology to known genes; these outliers may provide insights into previously unknown functions of conserved protein families. ..
- Castillo Azofeifa D, Losacco J, Salcedo E, Golden E, Finger T, Barlow L. Sonic hedgehog from both nerves and epithelium is a key trophic factor for taste bud maintenance. Development. 2017;144:3054-3065 pubmed publisher..However, although neurally derived Shh is in part responsible for the dependence of taste cell renewal on gustatory innervation, neurotrophic support of taste buds likely involves a complex set of factors. ..
- Konishi S. Pursuit of Neurotransmitter Functions: Being Attracted with Fascination of the Synapse. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2017;137:459-475 pubmed publisher..Consequently, we discovered novel forms of heterosynaptic interactions, dual actions of a single transmitter, and receptor crosstalk, the details of which are described in this review. ..
- Kenmoku H, Hori A, Kuraishi T, Kurata S. A novel mode of induction of the humoral innate immune response in Drosophila larvae. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:271-281 pubmed publisher..We therefore propose that Drosophila larvae might serve as a useful model to analyze the infectious and non-infectious inflammation that underlies various inflammatory diseases such as ischemia, atherosclerosis and cancer. ..
- Korsak L, Shepard K, Akins M. Cell type-dependent axonal localization of translational regulators and mRNA in mouse peripheral olfactory neurons. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:2202-2215 pubmed publisher..Regulation of axonal translation by FMRP may shape the structure and function of the axonal arbor in mature sensory neurons in the main olfactory system but not in the accessory olfactory system. ..
- Zhang M, Scholer H, Greber B. Rapid and efficient generation of neurons from human pluripotent stem cells in a multititre plate format. J Vis Exp. 2013;:e4335 pubmed publisher..Due to these features, the procedure may serve as a useful platform for further functional investigation as well as for cell-based screening approaches requiring human sensory neurons or neurons of any type. ..
- Gu L, Cui X, Wei W, Yang J, Li X. Ferulic acid promotes survival and differentiation of neural stem cells to prevent gentamicin-induced neuronal hearing loss. Exp Cell Res. 2017;360:257-263 pubmed publisher..Our data, for the first time, support potential therapeutic efficacy of FA in promoting survival and differentiation of NSCs to prevent gentamicin-induced neuronal hearing loss. ..
- Oren Suissa M, Gattegno T, Kravtsov V, Podbilewicz B. Extrinsic Repair of Injured Dendrites as a Paradigm for Regeneration by Fusion in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2017;206:215-230 pubmed publisher..EFF-1 is essential for dendritic pruning after injury and extrinsic AFF-1 mediates dendrite fusion to bypass injuries. ..
- Serwas D, Su T, Roessler M, Wang S, Dammermann A. Centrioles initiate cilia assembly but are dispensable for maturation and maintenance in C. elegans. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1659-1671 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that while centrioles are essential to initiate cilia formation, they are dispensable for cilia maturation and maintenance. ..
- Brackley A, Sarrami S, Gomez R, Guerrero K, Jeske N. Identification of a signaling cascade that maintains constitutive ?-opioid receptor incompetence in peripheral sensory neurons. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:8762-8772 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that AKAP scaffolds PKA to increase plasma membrane targeting and phosphorylation of GRK2 to maintain DOR analgesic incompetence in peripheral sensory neurons. ..
- Cobb M, Scott K, Pankratz M. Gustation in Drosophila melanogaster. SEB Exp Biol Ser. 2009;63:1-38 pubmed
- Rogers J. Testing for and the role of anal and rectal sensation. Baillieres Clin Gastroenterol. 1992;6:179-91 pubmed..The equipment is generally available and the technique has been shown to be an accurate and repeatable quantitative test of anal sensation. ..
- Hu C, Petersen M, Hoyer N, Spitzweck B, Tenedini F, Wang D, et al. Sensory integration and neuromodulatory feedback facilitate Drosophila mechanonociceptive behavior. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1085-1095 pubmed publisher..Our findings unveil how integration of somatosensory input and neuropeptide-mediated modulation can produce robust modality-specific escape behavior. ..
- Mouterde S, Elie J, Mathevon N, Theunissen F. Single Neurons in the Avian Auditory Cortex Encode Individual Identity and Propagation Distance in Naturally Degraded Communication Calls. J Neurosci. 2017;37:3491-3510 pubmed publisher..The discrimination of identity in propagated calls relies on a neural coding that is robust to intensity changes, signals' quality, and decreases in the signal-to-noise ratio. ..
- Hoang H, Miller M. Chemosensory and hyperoxia circuits in C. elegans males influence sperm navigational capacity. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002047 pubmed publisher..Environmental exposures early in male life may alter sperm function and fertility. ..
- Flynn J, Shouval H. On the origin of sensory errors: Contrast discrimination under temporal constraint. J Vis. 2017;17:6 pubmed publisher..We also find that the time window over which perceptual evidence is integrated lasts no more than ?230 ms. Finally, we discuss sources of error that may be consistent with our behavioral measurements. ..
- Hartenstein V, Takashima S, Hartenstein P, Asanad S, Asanad K. bHLH proneural genes as cell fate determinants of entero-endocrine cells, an evolutionarily conserved lineage sharing a common root with sensory neurons. Dev Biol. 2017;431:36-47 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Drosophila homolog of ngn3, a bHLH gene that defines the entero-endocrine lineage in mammals, is expressed and required for the differentiation of this cell type in the fly gut. ..
- Zhu C, Tang J, Ding T, Chen L, Wang W, Mei X, et al. Neuron-restrictive silencer factor-mediated downregulation of ?-opioid receptor contributes to the reduced morphine analgesia in bone cancer pain. Pain. 2017;158:879-890 pubmed publisher..Epigenetically, up-regulation of MOR could substantially improve the effect of system delivery of morphine. ..
- Wilson M, Iser W, Son T, Logie A, Cabral Costa J, Mattson M, et al. skn-1 is required for interneuron sensory integration and foraging behavior in Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176798 pubmed publisher..Both skn-1-dependent AIY autonomous and non-autonomous mechanisms regulate the neural circuitry underlying multisensory integration of environmental cues related to energy acquisition. ..
- Nechipurenko I, Berciu C, Sengupta P, Nicastro D. Centriolar remodeling underlies basal body maturation during ciliogenesis in Caenorhabditis elegans. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our work provides a framework for future investigations into the mechanisms underlying BB remodeling. ..
- Zinn S, Sisignano M, Kern K, Pierre S, Tunaru S, Jordan H, et al. The leukotriene B4 receptors BLT1 and BLT2 form an antagonistic sensitizing system in peripheral sensory neurons. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:6123-6134 pubmed publisher..Thus, the data show that the two leukotriene B4 receptors have opposing roles in the sensitization of peripheral sensory neurons forming a self-restricting system. ..
- Teff K, Mattes R, Engelman K, Mattern J. Cephalic-phase insulin in obese and normal-weight men: relation to postprandial insulin. Metabolism. 1993;42:1600-8 pubmed..3 +/- 16.1 microU/mL/10 min). A significant correlation between cephalic-phase and postprandial insulin release was found in normal-weight subjects (r = .62, P < .05), but not in obese subjects (r = .02, P < .9). ..
- Aghanoori M, Smith D, Roy Chowdhury S, Sabbir M, Calcutt N, Fernyhough P. Insulin prevents aberrant mitochondrial phenotype in sensory neurons of type 1 diabetic rats. Exp Neurol. 2017;297:148-157 pubmed publisher..Insulin elevates mitochondrial respiratory chain protein expression and function in sensory neurons and this is associated with enhanced neurite outgrowth and protection against indices of neuropathy. ..
- Lemon C. Modulation of taste processing by temperature. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;313:R305-R321 pubmed publisher..This review will discuss these and other issues in the context of the literature relevant to understanding thermogustation. ..
- Fritzsch B, Elliott K. Gene, cell, and organ multiplication drives inner ear evolution. Dev Biol. 2017;431:3-15 pubmed publisher..Appreciating the evolutionary cascade of developmental program changes could allow identifying essential steps needed to restore cells and organs in the future. ..
- Bowker R, Brewer A, Vex K, Guida L, Linder K, Sonea I, et al. Sensory receptors in the equine foot. Am J Vet Res. 1993;54:1840-4 pubmed..These 2 morphologic structures may be used for detection of sensory stimuli, such as pressure (or vibratory senses) and pain, respectively, in horses during various locomotory gaits. ..
- Gao X, Zhao L, Zhuang J, Zang N, Xu F. Prenatal nicotinic exposure prolongs superior laryngeal C-fiber-mediated apnea and bradycardia through enhancing neuronal TRPV1 expression and excitation. FASEB J. 2017;31:4325-4334 pubmed publisher..Gao, X., Zhao, L., Zhuang, J., Zang, N., Xu, F. Prenatal nicotinic exposure prolongs superior laryngeal C-fiber-mediated apnea and bradycardia through enhancing neuronal TRPV1 expression and excitation. ..
- Páldy E, Simonetti M, Worzfeld T, Bali K, Vicuña L, Offermanns S, et al. Semaphorin 4C Plexin-B2 signaling in peripheral sensory neurons is pronociceptive in a model of inflammatory pain. Nat Commun. 2017;8:176 pubmed publisher..This study finds that semaphorin 4C and its receptor Plexin B are expressed in sensory neurons and are pronociceptive in a mouse model of inflammatory pain. ..