Genomes and Genes
myelinated nerve fibers
Summary: A class of nerve fibers as defined by their structure, specifically the nerve sheath arrangement. The AXONS of the myelinated nerve fibers are completely encased in a MYELIN SHEATH. They are fibers of relatively large and varied diameters. Their NEURAL CONDUCTION rates are faster than those of the unmyelinated nerve fibers (NERVE FIBERS, UNMYELINATED). Myelinated nerve fibers are present in somatic and autonomic nerves.
- Xu J, DeVito E, Worhunsky P, Carroll K, Rounsaville B, Potenza M. White matter integrity is associated with treatment outcome measures in cocaine dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35:1541-9 pubmed publisher..The findings of an association between better WM integrity at treatment onset and longer abstinence suggest that strategies for improving WM integrity warrant consideration in developing new interventions for cocaine dependence. ..
- Yan Y, Wood M, Hunter D, Ee X, Mackinnon S, Moore A. The Effect of Short Nerve Grafts in Series on Axonal Regeneration Across Isografts or Acellular Nerve Allografts. J Hand Surg Am. 2016;41:e113-21 pubmed publisher..The additional suture line did not result in statistical differences in the number of myelinated nerve fibers that reached the distal nerve...
- Li R, Zhang J, Zhang L, Cui Q, Liu H. Angelica injection promotes peripheral nerve structure and function recovery with increased expressions of nerve growth factor and brain derived neurotrophic factor in diabetic rats. Curr Neurovasc Res. 2010;7:213-22 pubmed..This study suggests angelica injection has potential therapeutic effects on DPN, and the mechanism might be related to direct increase in NGF expression and direct or indirect increase in BDNF expression. ..
- Hsieh Y, Lin W, Lue J, Chang M, Hsieh S. Effects of 4-methylcatechol on skin reinnervation: promotion of cutaneous nerve regeneration after crush injury. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2009;68:1269-81 pubmed publisher..0001). The regeneration of myelinated nerve fibers, as assessed by fiber density, diameter and g ratio analyses in sural nerves, and amplitudes of muscle ..
- Wongsarnpigoon A, Grill W. Genetic algorithm reveals energy-efficient waveforms for neural stimulation. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:634-7 pubmed publisher..If implemented in implantable neural stimulators, the GA optimized waveforms could prolong battery life, thereby reducing the costs and risks of battery-replacement surgery. ..
- Clayden J, King M, Clark C. Shape modelling for tract selection. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2009;12:150-7 pubmed..Moreover, the need to apply an arbitrary threshold to connection probability maps is entirely obviated by our approach, thus removing a significant user-specified parameter from the tractography pipeline. ..
- Tristan Vega A, Aja Fernandez S. Design and construction of a realistic DWI phantom for filtering performance assessment. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2009;12:951-8 pubmed
- Riley J, Franklin D, Choi V, Kim R, Binder D, Cramer S, et al. Altered white matter integrity in temporal lobe epilepsy: association with cognitive and clinical profiles. Epilepsia. 2010;51:536-45 pubmed publisher..TLE is associated with widespread disturbances in white matter tracts and these changes have important cognitive and clinical consequences. ..
- Pardini M, Bonzano L, Mancardi G, Roccatagliata L. Frontal networks play a role in fatigue perception in multiple sclerosis. Behav Neurosci. 2010;124:329-36 pubmed publisher..Our observations show a significant involvement of different frontal networks in the pathophysiology of fatigue, thus accounting for the multifaceted nature of this disabling symptom. ..
- Keller T, Just M. Altering cortical connectivity: remediation-induced changes in the white matter of poor readers. Neuron. 2009;64:624-31 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate the capability of a behavioral intervention to bring about a positive change in cortico-cortical white matter tracts. ..
- Müller Oehring E, Schulte T, Rosenbloom M, Pfefferbaum A, Sullivan E. Callosal degradation in HIV-1 infection predicts hierarchical perception: a DTI study. Neuropsychologia. 2010;48:1133-43 pubmed publisher..We conclude that component processes of visuospatial perception are compromised in HIV-1 infection attributable, at least in part, to degraded callosal microstructural integrity relevant for local-global feature integration. ..
- Holley J, Newcombe J, Whatmore J, Gutowski N. Increased blood vessel density and endothelial cell proliferation in multiple sclerosis cerebral white matter. Neurosci Lett. 2010;470:65-70 pubmed publisher..8+/-19.8% versus 10.58+/-6.4%, P=0.003). These findings suggest that angiogenesis may play a role in lesion progression, failure of repair and scar formation. ..
- Zhang C, Ho P, Kintner D, Sun D, Chiu S. Activity-dependent regulation of mitochondrial motility by calcium and Na/K-ATPase at nodes of Ranvier of myelinated nerves. J Neurosci. 2010;30:3555-66 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we suggest that during normal nerve activity, Ca elevation and activation of Na/K-ATPase act, possibly in a synergistic manner, to recruit mitochondria to a node of Ranvier to match metabolic needs. ..
- Marquine M, Attix D, Goldstein L, Samsa G, Payne M, Chelune G, et al. Differential patterns of cognitive decline in anterior and posterior white matter hyperintensity progression. Stroke. 2010;41:1946-50 pubmed publisher..05, P<0.05). Distinct cognitive profiles are associated with anterior and posterior WMH progression among normal elders. These differing profiles need to be considered when evaluating the cognitive correlates of WMHs. ..
- Xiang F, Wei D, Yang Y, Chi H, Yang K, Sun Y. Tissue-engineered nerve graft with tetramethylpyrazine for repair of sciatic nerve defects in rats. Neurosci Lett. 2017;638:114-120 pubmed publisher..Regenerative nerve fibers were abundant in group A and consisted mainly of myelinated nerve fibers, which were better than those in groups B and C (P<0.05)...
- Grangeon M, Seixas C, Quarantini L, Miranda Scippa A, Pompili M, Steffens D, et al. White matter hyperintensities and their association with suicidality in major affective disorders: a meta-analysis of magnetic resonance imaging studies. CNS Spectr. 2010;15:375-81 pubmed..8 times more DWMH and 4.5 times more PVH than those who had never attempted suicide. These findings raise the possibility that WMH are biological substrates of symptoms that lead to suicidal behavior. ..
- Bremer J, Baumann F, Tiberi C, Wessig C, Fischer H, Schwarz P, et al. Axonal prion protein is required for peripheral myelin maintenance. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:310-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that neuronal expression and regulated proteolysis of PrP(C) are essential for myelin maintenance. ..
- Stebbins G, Murphy C. Diffusion tensor imaging in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment. Behav Neurol. 2009;21:39-49 pubmed publisher..DTI is an evolving technique and advances in its application ought to provide new insights into AD and MCI. ..
- Walther S, Federspiel A, Horn H, Wiest R, Dierks T, Strik W, et al. White matter integrity associated with volitional motor activity. Neuroreport. 2010;21:381-5 pubmed publisher..Volitional motor activity was associated with white matter integrity in motor relevant fiber tracts. ..
- Chang C, Chang W, Lui C, Wang J, Chen C, Lee Y, et al. Longitudinal study of carbon monoxide intoxication by diffusion tensor imaging with neuropsychiatric correlation. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2010;35:115-25 pubmed..Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) and voxel-based morphometry (VBM) can quantify diffusion parameters and volumetric changes in white matter that can be correlated with neuropsychological performances in longitudinal studies...
- Cordelli D, Garone C, Marchiani V, Lodi R, Tonon C, Ferrari S, et al. Progressive cerebral white matter involvement in a patient with Congenital Cataracts Facial Dysmorphisms Neuropathy (CCFDN). Neuromuscul Disord. 2010;20:343-5 pubmed publisher..Other etiologies have been excluded and these lesions can be considered a new finding of the disease. We discuss a possible demyelinating mechanism affecting both peripheral and central myelin. ..
- Petrović A, Smith S, Menke R, Jenkinson M. Methods for tractography-driven surface registration of brain structures. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2009;12:705-12 pubmed..The results suggest differences in thalamic connectivity predominantly in the medial dorsal parts of the left thalamus. ..
- Potter G, Doubal F, Jackson C, Chappell F, Sudlow C, Dennis M, et al. Counting cavitating lacunes underestimates the burden of lacunar infarction. Stroke. 2010;41:267-72 pubmed publisher..Epidemiology and pathophysiology studies of lacunar stroke, which have only counted lacunes as lacunar infarcts, may have substantially underestimated by as much as 5 times the true burden of lacunar stroke disease. ..
- Wu J, Zhang J, Chen W, Sun D. [Effect of nerve growth factor on chronic peripheral neuropathy in rats induced by 1-bromopropane]. Zhonghua Lao Dong Wei Sheng Zhi Ye Bing Za Zhi. 2017;35:497-500 pubmed publisher..Sciatic nerve biopsy observed by electron microscope showed that myelinated nerve fibers were obvious swelling, lamellar separation, partial myelin vacuolization, and axonal degeneration...
- Carozzi V, Canta A, Oggioni N, Sala B, Chiorazzi A, Meregalli C, et al. Neurophysiological and neuropathological characterization of new murine models of chemotherapy-induced chronic peripheral neuropathies. Exp Neurol. 2010;226:301-9 pubmed publisher..These results confirm the possibility to use our models to combine the study of the antineoplastic activity of anticancer drugs and of their toxic effects on the peripheral nervous system in the BALB/c mouse strain...
- Cartwright M, Petruska J, Arezzo J, Frank D, Litwak M, Morrissey R, et al. Phospholipidosis in neurons caused by posaconazole, without evidence for functional neurologic effects. Toxicol Pathol. 2009;37:902-10 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that phospholipidosis can be induced in central and peripheral neurons of dogs by administration of posaconazole, but this change is not associated with functional effects in the systems evaluated. ..
- Ek C, Habgood M, Callaway J, Dennis R, Dziegielewska K, Johansson P, et al. Spatio-temporal progression of grey and white matter damage following contusion injury in rat spinal cord. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12021 pubmed publisher..The low variance of the impactor and the comprehensive assessment methods described in this paper provide an improved basis on which the effects of potential treatment regimes for spinal cord injury can be assessed...
- Lee D, Fletcher E, Martinez O, Ortega M, Zozulya N, Kim J, et al. Regional pattern of white matter microstructural changes in normal aging, MCI, and AD. Neurology. 2009;73:1722-8 pubmed publisher..Both vascular and Alzheimer disease degenerative process contribute to microstructural injury of cerebral white matter across the spectrum of cognitive ability and have different region-specific injury patterns. ..
- Ritchie K, Artero S, Portet F, Brickman A, Muraskin J, Beanino E, et al. Caffeine, cognitive functioning, and white matter lesions in the elderly: establishing causality from epidemiological evidence. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20 Suppl 1:S161-6 pubmed publisher..The significant relationship observed between caffeine intake in women and lower cognitive decline is highly likely to be a true causal relationship and not a spurious association. ..
- van der Lei H, van Berkel C, Van Wieringen W, Brenner C, Feigenbaum A, Mercimek Mahmutoglu S, et al. Genotype-phenotype correlation in vanishing white matter disease. Neurology. 2010;75:1555-9 pubmed publisher..Thr91Ala/p.Arg339any. Overall, females tended to have a milder disease than males. The clinical phenotype in VWM is influenced by the combination of both mutations. Females tend to do better than males. ..
- Ratnarajah N, Simmons A, Davydov O, Hojjatoleslami A. A novel white matter fibre tracking algorithm using probabilistic tractography and average curves. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2010;13:666-73 pubmed..A new clustering algorithm is employed to separate fibres into branches before applying averaging methods. The performance of the technique is verified on a wide range of seed points using a phantom dataset and an in vivo dataset. ..
- Johnson D, Barrow W, Anderson R, Harsha A, Honea R, Brooks W, et al. Diagnostic utility of cerebral white matter integrity in early Alzheimer's disease. Int J Neurosci. 2010;120:544-50 pubmed publisher..Modest disease-related white matter anomalies were present in temporal cortex, and deep white matter had limited discriminatory diagnostic power, probably because of the very mild stage of disease in these participants. ..
- Sundal C, Ekholm S, Andersen O. White matter disorders with autosomal dominant heredity: a review with personal clinical case studies and their MRI findings. Acta Neurol Scand. 2010;121:328-37 pubmed publisher..The diagnosis within the group of leukoencephalopathies thus characterized by MRI relies mainly upon clinical and genetic analysis. The differential diagnosis against treatable leukoencephalopathies is increasingly relevant. ..
- Zhang H, Yushkevich P, Rueckert D, Gee J. Tensor-based morphometry of fibrous structures with application to human brain white matter. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2009;12:466-73 pubmed..In this paper, we describe the theoretical framework of our approach in detail and illustrate its application to study brain white matter. Our results show that additional insights can be gained with the proposed analysis. ..
- Wang Y, Ding X, Zhang Y, Chen J, Ge H, Arendt Nielsen L, et al. Ischemic compression block attenuates mechanical hyperalgesia evoked from latent myofascial trigger points. Exp Brain Res. 2010;202:265-70 pubmed publisher..001) at MTrP regions but not at non-MTrP regions. These results suggest that large-diameter muscle afferents may be involved in pain and mechanical hyperalgesia at MTrPs. ..
- Avadhani A, Ilayaraja V, Shetty A, Rajasekaran S. Diffusion tensor imaging in horizontal gaze palsy with progressive scoliosis. Magn Reson Imaging. 2010;28:212-6 pubmed publisher..Tractography is a valuable investigative modality to assess neuronal connections in the brain and is a useful adjunct to the structural magnetic resonance imaging in confirming the diagnosis of HGPPS. ..
- Koch K, Wagner G, Dahnke R, Schachtzabel C, Schultz C, Roebel M, et al. Disrupted white matter integrity of corticopontine-cerebellar circuitry in schizophrenia. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2010;260:419-26 pubmed publisher..They corroborate preceding findings of white matter structural deficits in mainly long-ranging association fibers and provide first evidence for neuroplastic changes in terms of an increased directionality in more inferior fiber tracts. ..
- Pagani E, Ginestroni A, Della Nave R, Agosta F, Salvi F, De Michele G, et al. Assessment of brain white matter fiber bundle atrophy in patients with Friedreich ataxia. Radiology. 2010;255:882-9 pubmed publisher..This approach has the potential to provide new information that is likely to improve the understanding of the pathophysiology of inherited ataxias. ..
- Absinta M, Rocca M, Moiola L, Ghezzi A, Milani N, Veggiotti P, et al. Brain macro- and microscopic damage in patients with paediatric MS. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010;81:1357-62 pubmed publisher..A less severe intrinsic lesion damage, a less frequent lesion occurrence in the posterior periventricular WM and the sparing of GM may help to explain the favourable short-/medium-term disease outcome of paediatric MS. ..
- Altena E, Vrenken H, Van Der Werf Y, van den Heuvel O, Van Someren E. Reduced orbitofrontal and parietal gray matter in chronic insomnia: a voxel-based morphometric study. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;67:182-5 pubmed publisher..Functional roles of the affected areas in decision-making and stimulus processing might better guide future research into the poorly understood condition of insomnia. ..
- Demiralp C, Laidlaw D. Tract-based probability densities of diffusivity measures in DT-MRI. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2010;13:542-9 pubmed..Results show that these estimates and derived quantities, such as entropy, can detect group differences with high statistical power as well as help obtain low classification errors. ..
- Kochunov P, Coyle T, Lancaster J, Robin D, Hardies J, Kochunov V, et al. Processing speed is correlated with cerebral health markers in the frontal lobes as quantified by neuroimaging. Neuroimage. 2010;49:1190-9 pubmed publisher..A smaller proportion (20%) of variance in the PP-CPS could be explained by bilateral increases in frontal sulcal span and increases in HWM volumes. ..
- Gordon D, Pavlovska G, Uney J, Wraith D, Scolding N. Human mesenchymal stem cells infiltrate the spinal cord, reduce demyelination, and localize to white matter lesions in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2010;69:1087-95 pubmed publisher..These data support a potential role for hMSCs in autologous cell therapy in multiple sclerosis. ..
- Jonsson M, Zetterberg H, van Straaten E, Lind K, Syversen S, Edman A, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers of white matter lesions - cross-sectional results from the LADIS study. Eur J Neurol. 2010;17:377-82 pubmed publisher..This manifestation may be distinct from or earlier than the neurodegenerative process seen in AD, as reflected by the lack of association between WMLs and AD biomarkers. ..
- Li Q, Cheung C, Wei R, Cheung V, Hui E, You Y, et al. Voxel-based analysis of postnatal white matter microstructure in mice exposed to immune challenge in early or late pregnancy. Neuroimage. 2010;52:1-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, FA changes were more extensive in the group exposed earliest in gestation. ..
- Raz E, Cercignani M, Sbardella E, Totaro P, Pozzilli C, Bozzali M, et al. Gray- and white-matter changes 1 year after first clinical episode of multiple sclerosis: MR imaging. Radiology. 2010;257:448-54 pubmed publisher..In contrast, GM damage was not detectable at the time of clinical onset, but a significant decrease in cortical and deep GM volume was observed at 1 year. ..
- Govind V, Gold S, Kaliannan K, Saigal G, Falcone S, Arheart K, et al. Whole-brain proton MR spectroscopic imaging of mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury and correlation with neuropsychological deficits. J Neurotrauma. 2010;27:483-96 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that significant and widespread alterations of brain metabolites occur as a result of mild-to-moderate TBI, and that these measures correlate with measures of cognitive performance. ..
- Jimenez Conde J, Biffi A, Rahman R, Kanakis A, Butler C, Sonni S, et al. Hyperlipidemia and reduced white matter hyperintensity volume in patients with ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2010;41:437-42 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that hyperlipidemia may play a relatively protective role in cerebral small-vessel disease. ..