Genomes and Genes
Summary: Neurons whose primary neurotransmitter is DOPAMINE.
- Kramer E. Crosstalk of parkin and Ret in dopaminergic neurons. Oncotarget. 2015;6:15704-5 pubmed
- Zheng M, Jiao L, Tang X, Xiang X, Wan X, Yan Y, et al. Tau haploinsufficiency causes prenatal loss of dopaminergic neurons in the ventral tegmental area and reduction of transcription factor orthodenticle homeobox 2 expression. FASEB J. 2017;31:3349-3358 pubmed publisher..tegmental area (VTA), supporting an important function of tau in maintaining the survival of midbrain dopaminergic neurons (mDANs) during aging...
- McWilliams T, Howard L, Wyatt S, Davies A. TNF superfamily member APRIL enhances midbrain dopaminergic axon growth and contributes to the nigrostriatal projection in vivo. Exp Neurol. 2017;298:97-103 pubmed publisher..role of the tumor necrosis factor superfamily member APRIL in the development of embryonic mouse midbrain dopaminergic neurons in vitro and in vivo...
- Bjorklund A, Lindvall O. Replacing Dopamine Neurons in Parkinson's Disease: How did it happen?. J Parkinsons Dis. 2017;7:S23-S33 pubmed publisher..We also remember the setbacks that we have experienced during these 30 years and discuss the very interesting developments that are now taking place in this exciting field. ..
- Hausknecht K, Shen Y, Wang R, Haj Dahmane S, Shen R. Prenatal Ethanol Exposure Persistently Alters Endocannabinoid Signaling and Endocannabinoid-Mediated Excitatory Synaptic Plasticity in Ventral Tegmental Area Dopamine Neurons. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5798-5808 pubmed publisher..Our findings also suggest that restoring normal eCB signaling in VTA DA neurons could be a useful strategy for treating behavioral symptoms caused by PE. ..
- Ortner N, Bock G, Dougalis A, Kharitonova M, Duda J, Hess S, et al. Lower Affinity of Isradipine for L-Type Ca2+ Channels during Substantia Nigra Dopamine Neuron-Like Activity: Implications for Neuroprotection in Parkinson's Disease. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6761-6777 pubmed publisher..2 LTCCs in resistance blood vessels (mediating dose-limiting vasodilating effects) and even at supratherapeutic concentrations isradipine fails to reduce somatic Ca2+ oscillations of SN DA neurons. ..
- Yan J, Zhang P, Jiao F, Wang Q, He F, Zhang Q, et al. Quantitative proteomics in A30P*A53T ?-synuclein transgenic mice reveals upregulation of Sel1l. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182092 pubmed publisher..The number of SNpc dopaminergic neurons and the motor behavior were unchanged in A30P*A53T transgenic mice at the age of 6 months...
- Pimentel D, Donlea J, Talbot C, Song S, Thurston A, Miesenbock G. Operation of a homeostatic sleep switch. Nature. 2016;536:333-337 pubmed publisher..Biophysical changes in a small population of neurons are thus linked to the control of sleep-wake state. ..
- Jorge Finnigan A, Kleppe R, Jung Kc K, Ying M, Marie M, Rios Mondragon I, et al. Phosphorylation at serine 31 targets tyrosine hydroxylase to vesicles for transport along microtubules. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14092-14107 pubmed publisher..Low dopamine levels and death of the dopaminergic neurons are hallmarks of Parkinson's disease (PD), where ?-synuclein is also a key player...
- Qualls Z, Brown D, Ramlochansingh C, Hurley L, Tizabi Y. Protective effects of curcumin against rotenone and salsolinol-induced toxicity: implications for Parkinson's disease. Neurotox Res. 2014;25:81-9 pubmed..These results suggest that exposure to a combination of rotenone and salsolinol may contribute to the pathology of PD, and that curcumin has a therapeutic potential in this disease. ..
- Chu H, McIver E, Kovaleski R, Atherton J, Bevan M. Loss of Hyperdirect Pathway Cortico-Subthalamic Inputs Following Degeneration of Midbrain Dopamine Neurons. Neuron. 2017;95:1306-1318.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, the data suggest that loss of dopamine triggers a maladaptive shift in the balance of synaptic excitation and inhibition in the STN, which contributes to parkinsonian activity and motor dysfunction. ..
- Panicker N, Dawson V, Dawson T. Activation mechanisms of the E3 ubiquitin ligase parkin. Biochem J. 2017;474:3075-3086 pubmed publisher..We note that neuronal parkin is primarily a cytosolic protein (with various non-mitochondrial functions), and discuss potential cytosolic parkin activation mechanisms. ..
- Nolbrant S, Heuer A, Parmar M, Kirkeby A. Generation of high-purity human ventral midbrain dopaminergic progenitors for in vitro maturation and intracerebral transplantation. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:1962-1979 pubmed publisher..This protocol is free of xeno-derived products and can be performed under good manufacturing practice (GMP) conditions. ..
- Cook J, Hendrickson L, Garwood G, Toungate K, Nania C, Morikawa H. Junk food diet-induced obesity increases D2 receptor autoinhibition in the ventral tegmental area and reduces ethanol drinking. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183685 pubmed publisher..These results show that junk food diet-induced obesity reduces ethanol drinking, and suggest that increased D2R autoinhibition in the VTA may contribute to deficits in DAergic signaling and reward hypofunction observed with obesity. ..
- Schildknecht S, Di Monte D, Pape R, Tieu K, Leist M. Tipping Points and Endogenous Determinants of Nigrostriatal Degeneration by MPTP. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2017;38:541-555 pubmed publisher..MPTP) causes a Parkinson's disease (PD)-like syndrome by inducing degeneration of nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons. Studies of the MPTP model have revealed the pathomechanisms underlying dopaminergic neurodegeneration and ..
- Yan Q, Han C, Wang G, Waddington J, Zheng L, Zhen X. Activation of AMPK/mTORC1-Mediated Autophagy by Metformin Reverses Clk1 Deficiency-Sensitized Dopaminergic Neuronal Death. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;92:640-652 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that Clk1 deficiency inhibited dopaminergic neuronal autophagy in cultured MN9D dopaminergic neurons and in the substantia nigra pars compacta of Clk+/- mutant mice and consequently sensitized ..
- Dell Anno M, Caiazzo M, Leo D, Dvoretskova E, Medrihan L, Colasante G, et al. Remote control of induced dopaminergic neurons in parkinsonian rats. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:3215-29 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that iDA neurons have therapeutic potential as a cell replacement approach for PD and highlight the applicability of pharmacogenetics for enhancing cellular signaling in reprogrammed cell-based approaches. ..
- Skvortsova V, Degos B, Welter M, Vidailhet M, Pessiglione M. A Selective Role for Dopamine in Learning to Maximize Reward But Not to Minimize Effort: Evidence from Patients with Parkinson's Disease. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6087-6097 pubmed publisher..These results help to disambiguate the motivational role of prodopaminergic medications: they amplify the impact of reward without affecting the integration of effort cost. ..
- Mandelblat Cerf Y, Las L, Denisenko N, Fee M. A role for descending auditory cortical projections in songbird vocal learning. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that auditory cortical areas may guide learning by transmitting song evaluation signals to the dopaminergic midbrain and/or other subcortical targets. ..
- Matsui H, Sugie A. An optimized method for counting dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184363 pubmed publisher..To effectively evaluate PD pathology, the ability to accurately and reliably count dopaminergic neurons is important. However, there is currently no such standardized method...
- Coppens J, Bentea E, Bayliss J, Demuyser T, Walrave L, Albertini G, et al. Caloric Restriction Protects against Lactacystin-Induced Degeneration of Dopamine Neurons Independent of the Ghrelin Receptor. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..These results indicate that CR can protect the nigral DA neurons from toxicity related to proteasome disruption; however, the ghrelin receptor is not involved in this effect. ..
- Kouwenhoven W, von Oerthel L, Smidt M. Pitx3 and En1 determine the size and molecular programming of the dopaminergic neuronal pool. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182421 pubmed publisher..Thus we reveal in this manuscript that regulated levels of Pitx3 and En1 control the size and rostral/caudal-identity of the mdDA neuronal population. ..
- Zondler L, Kostka M, Garidel P, Heinzelmann U, Hengerer B, Mayer B, et al. Proteasome impairment by ?-synuclein. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184040 pubmed publisher..PD) is the second most prevalent neurodegenerative disorder worldwide and characterized by the loss of dopaminergic neurons in the patients' midbrains...
- Nouri N, Awatramani R. A novel floor plate boundary defined by adjacent En1 and Dbx1 microdomains distinguishes midbrain dopamine and hypothalamic neurons. Development. 2017;144:916-927 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into subdivisions in the mdFP, and will impact current strategies for the conversion of stem cells into DA neurons. ..
- Leikas J, Kohtala S, Theilmann W, Jalkanen A, Forsberg M, Rantamäki T. Brief isoflurane anesthesia regulates striatal AKT-GSK3? signaling and ameliorates motor deficits in a rat model of early-stage Parkinson's disease. J Neurochem. 2017;142:456-463 pubmed publisher..However, isoflurane had no effect on striatal or nigral tyrosine hydroxylase (a marker of dopaminergic neurons) protein levels...
- Liu Y, Hao S, Yang B, Fan Y, Qin X, Chen Y, et al. Wnt/?-catenin signaling plays an essential role in ?7 nicotinic receptor-mediated neuroprotection of dopaminergic neurons in a mouse Parkinson's disease model. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;140:115-123 pubmed publisher..The main pathological feature of PD is the death of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta...
- Doly S, Quentin E, Eddine R, Tolu S, Fernandez S, Bertran Gonzalez J, et al. Serotonin 2B Receptors in Mesoaccumbens Dopamine Pathway Regulate Cocaine Responses. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10372-10388 pubmed publisher..These data support the idea that the chronic 5-HT2B-receptor inhibition makes mice behave like animals already exposed to cocaine with higher cocaine-induced locomotion associated with changes in dopamine neuron reactivity. ..
- Paillusson S, Gomez Suaga P, Stoica R, LITTLE D, Gissen P, Devine M, et al. α-Synuclein binds to the ER-mitochondria tethering protein VAPB to disrupt Ca2+ homeostasis and mitochondrial ATP production. Acta Neuropathol. 2017;134:129-149 pubmed publisher..Such disruptions are likely to be particularly damaging to neurons that are heavily dependent on correct Ca2+ signaling and ATP. ..
- Aksoy D, Solmaz V, Ã‡avuÅŸoÄŸlu T, Meral A, AteÅŸ U, ErbaÅŸ O. Neuroprotective Effects of Eexenatide in a Rotenone-Induced Rat Model of Parkinson's Disease. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:319-324 pubmed publisher..Additionally, treatment with exenatide significantly reduced the loss of dopaminergic neurons in striatum...
- Ramkumar M, Rajasankar S, Gobi V, Dhanalakshmi C, Manivasagam T, Justin Thenmozhi A, et al. Neuroprotective effect of Demethoxycurcumin, a natural derivative of Curcumin on rotenone induced neurotoxicity in SH-SY 5Y Neuroblastoma cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:217 pubmed publisher..Even though the results of the present study indicated that the DMC may serve as a potent therapeutic agent particularly for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases like PD, further pre-clinical and clinical studies are required. ..
- Gonzalez R, Garitaonandia I, Poustovoitov M, Abramihina T, McEntire C, Culp B, et al. Neural Stem Cells Derived from Human Parthenogenetic Stem Cells Engraft and Promote Recovery in a Nonhuman Primate Model of Parkinson's Disease. Cell Transplant. 2016;25:1945-1966 pubmed publisher..hpNSCs promoted behavioral recovery; increased striatal DA concentration, fiber innervation, and number of dopaminergic neurons; and induced the expression of genes and pathways downregulated in PD compared to vehicle control animals...
- Botsakis K, Mourtzi T, Panagiotakopoulou V, Vreka M, Stathopoulos G, Pediaditakis I, et al. BNN-20, a synthetic microneurotrophin, strongly protects dopaminergic neurons in the "weaver" mouse, a genetic model of dopamine-denervation, acting through the TrkB neurotrophin receptor. Neuropharmacology. 2017;121:140-157 pubmed publisher..Nigra (SN), we have shown that long-term administration (P1-P21) of BNN-20 almost fully protected the dopaminergic neurons and their terminals, via i) a strong anti-apoptotic effect, probably mediated through the Tropomyosin ..
- Korecka J, Moloney E, Eggers R, Hobo B, Scheffer S, Ras Verloop N, et al. Repulsive Guidance Molecule a (RGMa) Induces Neuropathological and Behavioral Changes That Closely Resemble Parkinson's Disease. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9361-9379 pubmed publisher..model aspects of the neuropathology of Parkinson's disease in mouse, we targeted RGMa to adult midbrain dopaminergic neurons using adeno-associated viral vectors...
- Wang Z, Liu J, Yang C, Malampati S, Huang Y, Li M, et al. Neuroprotective Natural Products for the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease by Targeting the Autophagy-Lysosome Pathway: A Systematic Review. Phytother Res. 2017;31:1119-1127 pubmed publisher..a chronic neurodegenerative disorder characterized by the accumulation of protein aggregates and loss of dopaminergic neurons in the midbrain...
- Sukumaran P, Sun Y, Schaar A, Selvaraj S, Singh B. TRPC Channels and Parkinson's Disease. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;976:85-94 pubmed publisherParkinson's disease (PD) is a common neurodegenerative disorder, which involves degeneration of dopaminergic neurons that are present in the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNpc) region...
- Peng C, Engle S, Yan Y, Weera M, Berry J, Arvin M, et al. Altered nicotine reward-associated behavior following ?4 nAChR subunit deletion in ventral midbrain. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182142 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that attenuation of ?4* nAChR function in reward-related brain circuitry of adult animals may increase nicotine intake by enhancing the rewarding effects and/or reducing the aversive effects of nicotine. ..
- Ellwood I, Patel T, Wadia V, Lee A, Liptak A, Bender K, et al. Tonic or Phasic Stimulation of Dopaminergic Projections to Prefrontal Cortex Causes Mice to Maintain or Deviate from Previously Learned Behavioral Strategies. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8315-8329 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although they may exhibit similar patterns of activity, dopaminergic inputs to striatum and PFC can elicit divergent behavioral effects. ..
- Cacabelos R. Parkinson's Disease: From Pathogenesis to Pharmacogenomics. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Parkinson's disease neuropathology is characterized by a selective loss of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta, with widespread involvement of other central nervous system (CNS) ..
- Guerrero Flores G, Bastidas Ponce A, Collazo Navarrete O, Guerra Crespo M, Covarrubias L. Functional determination of the differentiation potential of ventral mesencephalic neural precursor cells during dopaminergic neurogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;429:56-70 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings we propose that during DA differentiation committed vmNPCs emerge at E10.5 and they exhaust their neurogenic capacity with the rise of NPCs with astrogenic potential. ..
- Sashourpour M, Zahri S, Radjabian T, Ruf V, Pan Montojo F, Morshedi D. A study on the modulation of alpha-synuclein fibrillation by Scutellaria pinnatifida extracts and its neuroprotective properties. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184483 pubmed publisher..have an anti-fibrillation effect on ?-SN aggregation and neuroprotective properties on PC12 and primary dopaminergic neurons. Treatment during ?-SN fibril formation with S...
- Lavian H, Almog M, Madar R, Loewenstern Y, Bar Gad I, Okun E, et al. Dopaminergic Modulation of Synaptic Integration and Firing Patterns in the Rat Entopeduncular Nucleus. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7177-7187 pubmed publisher..These results call for a reassessment of current perspectives on BG information processing by highlighting the functional role of extrastriatal dopamine receptors. ..
- Masaki Y, Izumi Y, Matsumura A, Akaike A, Kume T. Protective effect of Nrf2-ARE activator isolated from green perilla leaves on dopaminergic neuronal loss in a Parkinson's disease model. Eur J Pharmacol. 2017;798:26-34 pubmed publisherParkinson's disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disorder characterized by a selective loss of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra (SN), and oxidative stress is thought to contribute to the pathogenesis...
- Mythri R, Raghunath N, Narwade S, Pandareesh M, Sabitha K, Aiyaz M, et al. Manganese- and 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium-induced neurotoxicity display differences in morphological, electrophysiological and genome-wide alterations: implications for idiopathic Parkinson's disease. J Neurochem. 2017;143:334-358 pubmed publisher..We studied the morphological, neurophysiological and molecular differences in dopaminergic neurons exposed to the Parkinson's disease toxin 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium ion (MPP+ ) and manganese (..
- Manolov A, Dolgikh V, Ukraintseva I, Zavalko I, Revishchin A, Pavlova G, et al. [Moving activity and wakefulness-sleep cycle changes in a mouse MPTP model of Parkinson's disease]. Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 2014;100:1252-60 pubmed..Morphological control revealed a 70% and 35% decreases in the amount of tyrosine hydroxylase positive neurons in substancia nigra/pars compacta after 48 and 24 mg/kg of MPTP, respectively, as compared to the saline group. ..
- Yang J, Kim M, Yoon W, Kim E, Kim H, Lee Y, et al. Isocitrate protects DJ-1 null dopaminergic cells from oxidative stress through NADP+-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase (IDH). PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006975 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that isocitrate and its derivatives are novel treatments for PD associated with DJ-1 dysfunction. ..
- Zhong W, Li Y, Feng Q, Luo M. Learning and Stress Shape the Reward Response Patterns of Serotonin Neurons. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8863-8875 pubmed publisher..Moreover, stress treatment substantially reduces the reward responses of both serotonin neurons and dopamine neurons, suggesting a possible physiological basis for stress-induced anhedonia. ..
- Felsenberg J, Barnstedt O, Cognigni P, Lin S, Waddell S. Re-evaluation of learned information in Drosophila. Nature. 2017;544:240-244 pubmed publisher..recruits activity in specific parts of the mushroom body output network and distinct subsets of reinforcing dopaminergic neurons. Memory extinction requires output neurons with dendrites in the ? and ?' lobes of the mushroom body, which ..
- Han B, Dong Y, Zhang L, Liu Y, Rabinowitch I, Bai J. Dopamine signaling tunes spatial pattern selectivity in C. elegans. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..selectivity requires touch-dependent dopamine signaling, including the mechanosensory TRP-4 channel in dopaminergic neurons and the D2-like dopamine receptor DOP-3...
- Kim S, Ryu M, Han J, Jang Y, Kim J, Lee M, et al. Activation of the HMGB1-RAGE axis upregulates TH expression in dopaminergic neurons via JNK phosphorylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:358-364 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that HMGB1 upregulates TH expression to maintain dopaminergic neuronal function via activating RAGE, which is dependent on JNK phosphorylation. ..
- Xu T, Zhang M, Hu J, Li Z, Wu T, Bao J, et al. Behavioral deficits and neural damage of Caenorhabditis elegans induced by three rare earth elements. Chemosphere. 2017;181:55-62 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that exposure to REEs may cause neurotoxicity of inducing behavioral deficits and neural damage. These findings provide useful information for understanding health risk of REE materials. ..
- Tiveron M, Beclin C, Murgan S, Wild S, Angelova A, Marc J, et al. Zic-Proteins Are Repressors of Dopaminergic Forebrain Fate in Mice and C. elegans. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10611-10623 pubmed publisher..We show that this mechanism is conserved in evolutionary very distant species...