sleep wake disorders
Summary: Abnormal sleep-wake schedule or pattern associated with the CIRCADIAN RHYTHM which affect the length, timing, and/or rigidity of the sleep-wake cycle relative to the day-night cycle.
- Salaffi F, Atzeni F, Talotta R, DI Carlo M, Sarzi Puttini P. Earthquake vulnerability of fibromyalgia patients: six-month follow-up after the catastrophic disasters in central Italy. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017;35 Suppl 105:93-99 pubmed..A natural catastrophe such as an earthquake can have a significant impact on the major domains of pain, fatigue, sleep, and the overall quality of life of FM patients. ..
- Felso R, Lohner S, Hollody K, Erhardt E, Molnar D. Relationship between sleep duration and childhood obesity: Systematic review including the potential underlying mechanisms. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;27:751-761 pubmed publisher..There are numerous evidence gaps. To answer the remaining questions, there is a need for studies meeting high methodological standards and including a large number of children. ..
- Hamilton M. Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness. Br J Soc Clin Psychol. 1967;6:278-96 pubmed
- Freemon F. The effect of chronically administered delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol upon the polygraphically monitored sleep of normal volunteers. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1982;10:345-53 pubmed..The fact that prolonged, but not acute use, suppresses slow wave sleep indicates that this commonly used drug produces a poorly understood change in brain physiology. ..
- Hall W, Moynihan M, Bhagat R, Wooldridge J. Relationships between parental sleep quality, fatigue, cognitions about infant sleep, and parental depression pre and post-intervention for infant behavioral sleep problems. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:104 pubmed publisher..Parental doubts about managing infant sleep and difficulties with setting sleep limits require attention in interventions. ..
- Turner R, Elson E. Sleep disorders. Steroids cause sleep disturbance. BMJ. 1993;306:1477-8 pubmed
- Peltzer K, Pengpid S. Sleep Duration, Sleep Quality, Body Mass Index, and Waist Circumference among Young Adults from 24 Low- and Middle-Income and Two High-Income Countries. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Further, differences in the association between sleep characteristics and BMI and WC were found by region and country income. ..
- Setthawatcharawanich S, Limapichat K, Sathirapanya P, Phabphal K. Excessive daytime sleepiness and nighttime sleep quality in Thai patients with Parkinson's disease. J Med Assoc Thai. 2014;97:1022-7 pubmed..This study demonstrated a prevalence of EDS and poor NSQ in Thai patients with PD. Screening for these two problems among PD patients should be considered in routine practice evaluations. ..
- Weyde K, Krog N, Oftedal B, Evandt J, Magnus P, Øverland S, et al. Nocturnal Road Traffic Noise Exposure and Children's Sleep Duration and Sleep Problems. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..16]) in girls. The ORs are presented for an increase of 10 dB. The findings suggest there is an association between road traffic noise and sleep for girls, underlining the importance of protecting children against excessive noise levels. ..
- Ebede C, Jang Y, Escalante C. Cancer-Related Fatigue in Cancer Survivorship. Med Clin North Am. 2017;101:1085-1097 pubmed publisher..Pharmacologic interventions include psychostimulants. Antidepressants may also benefit when CRF is accompanied by depression...
- Durusoy R, Hassoy H, Özkurt A, Karababa A. Mobile phone use, school electromagnetic field levels and related symptoms: a cross-sectional survey among 2150 high school students in Izmir. Environ Health. 2017;16:51 pubmed publisher..Decreasing the numbers of calls and messages, decreasing the duration of calls, using earphones, keeping the phone away from the head and body and similar precautions might decrease the frequencies or prevalence of the symptoms. ..
- St Onge M, Grandner M, Brown D, Conroy M, Jean Louis G, Coons M, et al. Sleep Duration and Quality: Impact on Lifestyle Behaviors and Cardiometabolic Health: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016;134:e367-e386 pubmed..Here, we review the evidence relating sleep duration and sleep disorders to cardiometabolic risk and call for health organizations to include evidence-based sleep recommendations in their guidelines for optimal health. ..
- Guilleminault C, Eldridge F, Tilkian A, Simmons F, Dement W. Sleep apnea syndrome due to upper airway obstruction: a review of 25 cases. Arch Intern Med. 1977;137:296-300 pubmed..Three types of therapeutic trials, namely, diet, medications with or without diet, and surgery have been performed. Only surgery has been beneficial in these cases. ..
- Breslau N, Roth T, Rosenthal L, Andreski P. Sleep disturbance and psychiatric disorders: a longitudinal epidemiological study of young adults. Biol Psychiatry. 1996;39:411-8 pubmed..Complaints of 2 weeks or more of insomnia nearly every night might be a useful marker of subsequent onset of major depression. ..
- Barone D, Chokroverty S. Neurologic Diseases and Sleep. Sleep Med Clin. 2017;12:73-85 pubmed publisher..Further research in improving patient outcomes in those who suffer with these conditions will help patients and their families, and society in general. ..
- Zomers M, Hulsegge G, van Oostrom S, Proper K, Verschuren W, Picavet H. Characterizing Adult Sleep Behavior Over 20 Years-The Population-Based Doetinchem Cohort Study. Sleep. 2017;40: pubmed publisher..Leisure-time physical activity is a potential important target to prevent unfavorable changes in sleep duration over the life course. ..
- Equihua Benítez A, Guzman Vasquez K, Drucker Colín R. Understanding sleep-wake mechanisms and drug discovery. Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2017;12:643-657 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, sleep is a topic still with many unanswered questions. That being said, the melanin-concentrating hormone system is becoming increasingly relevant and we speculate it will be the next target of sleep medication. ..
- Benca R, Obermeyer W, Thisted R, Gillin J. Sleep and psychiatric disorders. A meta-analysis. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1992;49:651-68; discussion 669-70 pubmed..Overall, findings for patients with affective disorders differed most frequently and significantly from those for normal controls. ..
- Shiffman S, Paty J, Gnys M, Kassel J, Elash C. Nicotine withdrawal in chippers and regular smokers: subjective and cognitive effects. Health Psychol. 1995;14:301-9 pubmed..Results suggest performance may have been improved by nicotine rather than by worsened by withdrawal. ..
- Christensen J, Johansen S, Knardahl S. Psychological predictors of change in the number of musculoskeletal pain sites among Norwegian employees: a prospective study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:140 pubmed publisher..There is a need for further investigations to identify possible mechanisms by which psychological and behavioral factors propagate the spread of pain. ..
- Mamelak M, Escriu J, Stokan O. The effects of gamma-hydroxybutyrate on sleep. Biol Psychiatry. 1977;12:273-88 pubmed..We suggest that GHB may serve as the prototype for a new class of hypnotic compounds derived from natural sources and capable of activating the neurological mechanisms of normal human sleep. ..
- Ford D, Kamerow D. Epidemiologic study of sleep disturbances and psychiatric disorders. An opportunity for prevention?. JAMA. 1989;262:1479-84 pubmed..6; 95% confidence interval, 0.5 to 5.3). Further research is needed to determine if early recognition and treatment of sleep disturbances can prevent future psychiatric disorders. ..
- Bennett R, Clark S, Campbell S, Burckhardt C. Low levels of somatomedin C in patients with the fibromyalgia syndrome. A possible link between sleep and muscle pain. Arthritis Rheum. 1992;35:1113-6 pubmed..It is hypothesized that this abnormality may explain the link between disturbed sleep and predisposition to muscle pain. ..
- Day A, Haj Bakri S, Lubchansky S, Mehta S. Sleep, anxiety and fatigue in family members of patients admitted to the intensive care unit: a questionnaire study. Crit Care. 2013;17:R91 pubmed publisher..The majority of family members of ICU patients experience moderate to severe sleep disturbance and fatigue, and mild anxiety. ..
- Debeer B, Kimbrel N, Mendoza C, Davidson D, Meyer E, La Bash H, et al. Traumatic Brain Injury, Sleep Quality, and Suicidal Ideation in Iraq/Afghanistan Era Veterans. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2017;205:512-516 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of assessing TBI history and sleep quality during suicide risk assessments for veterans. ..
- Oliveira F, Salvatori R, Marcondes J, Macena L, Oliveira Santos A, Faro A, et al. Altered sleep patterns in patients with non-functional GHRH receptor. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:51-57 pubmed publisher..GHRH resistance seems to have a preponderant role over GHD in the sleep quality of these subjects. ..
- Duclos C, Dumont M, Blais H, Paquet J, Laflamme E, De Beaumont L, et al. Rest-Activity Cycle Disturbances in the Acute Phase of Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014;28:472-82 pubmed publisher..A faster return to rest-activity cycle consolidation may predict enhanced brain recovery. ..
- Scarpa M, Pinto E, Saraceni E, Cavallin F, Parotto M, Alfieri R, et al. Randomized clinical trial of psychological support and sleep adjuvant measures for postoperative sleep disturbance in patients undergoing oesophagectomy. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1307-1314 pubmed publisher..Perioperative psychological support reduces impairment in quality of life and quality of sleep after oesophagectomy. Registration number: NCT01738620 (http://www.clinicaltrials.gov). ..
- Lurie I. Sleep Disorders Among Holocaust Survivors: A Review of Selected Publications. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2017;205:665-671 pubmed publisher..These results are of importance to both HSs and their families and for medical and mental health professionals. ..
- Kay D. Human sleep and EEG through a cycle of methadone dependence. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1975;38:35-43 pubmed..REM sleep and delta sleep were increased during withdrawal. These data provide further evidence that chronic administration of narcotic analgesics may induce persistent functional changes in the central nervous system. ..
- Kantojärvi K, Liuhanen J, Saarenpää Heikkilä O, Satomaa A, Kylliäinen A, Pölkki P, et al. Variants in calcium voltage-gated channel subunit Alpha1 C-gene (CACNA1C) are associated with sleep latency in infants. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180652 pubmed publisher..It remains to be clarified whether the findings refer to defective regulation of sleep, or to distractibility of sleep under external influences. ..
- Mosko S, Zetin M, Glen S, Garber D, DeAntonio M, Sassin J, et al. Self-reported depressive symptomatology, mood ratings, and treatment outcome in sleep disorders patients. J Clin Psychol. 1989;45:51-60 pubmed..Differential improvement in POMS scores after treatment for different sleep disorders could mean that the relationship to mood disturbance differs for different sleep disorders. ..
- Yang L, Zuo C, Eaton L. Research note: sleep problems of normal Chinese adolescents. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1987;28:167-72 pubmed..9%). Subjects were compared by sex, age, and rearing by parents or parent surrogates. Cross cultural comparisons and the possible significance of findings are discussed. ..
- Croft P, Schollum J, Silman A. Population study of tender point counts and pain as evidence of fibromyalgia. BMJ. 1994;309:696-9 pubmed..Sleep problems are associated with tender points, although prospective studies are needed to determine whether they cause tenderness to develop. Fibromyalgia does not seem to be a distinct disease entity. ..
- Antelmi E, Ferri R, Provini F, Scaglione C, Mignani F, Rundo F, et al. Modulation of the Muscle Activity During Sleep in Cervical Dystonia. Sleep. 2017;40: pubmed publisher..These features however cannot be related to the persistence of muscle activity over the cervical muscles, which disappears in all the sleep stages, reaching significantly decreased values when compared to HC. ..
- Liu J, Lu M, Fang T, Yu H, Lin H, Fang D. Burden on caregivers of ventilator-dependent patients: A cross-sectional study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7396 pubmed publisher..01).Home caregivers experienced higher physical burden levels than RCW caregivers. Therefore, clinical and professional support must be provided to home caregivers of PMV patients. ..
- Happe S, Pirker W, Sauter C, Klosch G, Zeitlhofer J. Successful treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness in Parkinson's disease with modafinil. J Neurol. 2001;248:632-4 pubmed
- Heath R. ELECTRICAL SELF-STIMULATION OF THE BRAIN IN MAN. Am J Psychiatry. 1963;120:571-7 pubmed
- Esteban C, Everhart R, Kopel S, Klein R, Koinis Mitchell D. Allergic sensitization and objective measures of sleep in urban school-aged children with asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2017;119:238-245 pubmed publisher..Implications for environmental control interventions and asthma treatments in different racial and ethnic groups are discussed. ..
- Choudhury M, Gupta A, Hote M, Kapoor P, Khanna S, Kalaivani M, et al. Does sleep quality affects the immediate clinical outcome in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: A clinico-biochemical correlation. Ann Card Anaesth. 2017;20:193-199 pubmed publisher..Poor sleep quality associated with a higher incidence of adverse perioperative events in patients undergoing elective CABG. There exists a potential link between poor sleep quality and ET-1 in these groups of patients. ..
- Kunz B, Oranje A, Labreze L, Stalder J, Ring J, Taieb A. Clinical validation and guidelines for the SCORAD index: consensus report of the European Task Force on Atopic Dermatitis. Dermatology. 1997;195:10-9 pubmed..A proposal has been made to grade the severity of atopic dermatitis according to objective criteria in three groups for inclusion in clinical trials. The SCORAD index remains the major criterion for follow-up in trials. ..