Genomes and Genes
Summary: A class of large neuroglial (macroglial) cells in the central nervous system. Oligodendroglia may be called interfascicular, perivascular, or perineuronal (not the same as SATELLITE CELLS, PERINEURONAL of GANGLIA) according to their location. They form the insulating MYELIN SHEATH of axons in the central nervous system.
- Ritter J, Schmitz T, Chew L, Buhrer C, Mobius W, Zonouzi M, et al. Neonatal hyperoxia exposure disrupts axon-oligodendrocyte integrity in the subcortical white matter. J Neurosci. 2013;33:8990-9002 pubmed publisher..Understanding the pathology of premature PWMI injury will allow for the development of interventional strategies to preserve WM integrity and function. ..
- Nguyen G, Gokhan S, Molero A, Mehler M. Selective roles of normal and mutant huntingtin in neural induction and early neurogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64368 pubmed publisher..These cumulative observations indicate that Htt is required for multiple stages of neural induction, whereas mHtt enhances this process and promotes precocious neurogenesis and oligodendrocyte progenitor cell elaboration...
- Snaidero N, Mobius W, Czopka T, Hekking L, Mathisen C, Verkleij D, et al. Myelin membrane wrapping of CNS axons by PI(3,4,5)P3-dependent polarized growth at the inner tongue. Cell. 2014;156:277-90 pubmed publisher..Our model can explain assembly of myelin as a multilayered structure, abnormal myelin outfoldings in neurological disease, and plasticity of myelin biogenesis observed in adult life. ..
- Johnstone J, Morton P, Jayakumar A, Bracchi Ricard V, Runko E, Liebl D, et al. Reduced extracellular zinc levels facilitate glutamate-mediated oligodendrocyte death after trauma. J Neurosci Res. 2013;91:828-37 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate a novel role for zinc in regulating oligodendrocyte excitotoxicity and identify new therapeutic targets to prevent oligodendrocyte cell death in central nervous system trauma and disease. ..
- Sullivan G, Mierzwa A, Kijpaisalratana N, Tang H, Wang Y, Song S, et al. Oligodendrocyte lineage and subventricular zone response to traumatic axonal injury in the corpus callosum. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2013;72:1106-25 pubmed publisher..recovery after brain injury. ..
- Binamé F, Sakry D, Dimou L, Jolivel V, Trotter J. NG2 regulates directional migration of oligodendrocyte precursor cells via Rho GTPases and polarity complex proteins. J Neurosci. 2013;33:10858-74 pubmed publisher..This work also reveals CRB and PAR polarity complexes as new effectors of NG2 signaling in the establishment of front-rear polarity. ..
- Vogl M, Reiprich S, Küspert M, Kosian T, Schrewe H, Nave K, et al. Sox10 cooperates with the mediator subunit 12 during terminal differentiation of myelinating glia. J Neurosci. 2013;33:6679-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Sox10 functions during terminal differentiation of myelinating glia, at least in part by Med12-dependent recruitment of the Mediator complex. ..
- Deshmukh V, Tardif V, Lyssiotis C, Green C, Kerman B, Kim H, et al. A regenerative approach to the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Nature. 2013;502:327-332 pubmed publisher..These studies should facilitate the development of effective new therapies for the treatment of multiple sclerosis that complement established immunosuppressive approaches. ..
- Xiao J, Ferner A, Wong A, Denham M, Kilpatrick T, Murray S. Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 signaling promotes oligodendrocyte myelination in vitro. J Neurochem. 2012;122:1167-80 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data identify that Erk1/2 signaling within oligodendrocytes exerts an important and direct effect to promote myelination. ..
- Jablonska B, Scafidi J, Aguirre A, Vaccarino F, Nguyen V, Borok E, et al. Oligodendrocyte regeneration after neonatal hypoxia requires FoxO1-mediated p27Kip1 expression. J Neurosci. 2012;32:14775-93 pubmed publisher..Thus, FoxO1 and p27(Kip1) may serve as promising target molecules for promoting timely oligodendrogenesis in neonatal DWMI. ..
- Barrett R, Bennet L, Naylor A, George S, Dean J, Gunn A. Effect of cerebral hypothermia and asphyxia on the subventricular zone and white matter tracts in preterm fetal sheep. Brain Res. 2012;1469:35-42 pubmed publisher..Although white matter protection with cerebral hypothermia was associated with reduced proliferation in the white matter tracts, it did not impair proliferation in the SVZ...
- Ishibashi N, Scafidi J, Murata A, Korotcova L, Zurakowski D, Gallo V, et al. White matter protection in congenital heart surgery. Circulation. 2012;125:859-71 pubmed publisher..Cardiac surgery during this susceptible period should avoid ischemia-reperfusion injury and minimize inflammation to prevent long-term WM-related neurological impairment. ..
- Bi X, Zhang Y, Yan B, Fang S, He J, Zhang D, et al. Quetiapine prevents oligodendrocyte and myelin loss and promotes maturation of oligodendrocyte progenitors in the hippocampus of global cerebral ischemia mice. J Neurochem. 2012;123:14-20 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that quetiapine is a potential intervention for oligodendrocyte damage and this may contribute to its anti-depressant effects through white matter protection in vascular depression. ..
- Göbel K, Bittner S, Melzer N, Pankratz S, Dreykluft A, Schuhmann M, et al. CD4(+) CD25(+) FoxP3(+) regulatory T cells suppress cytotoxicity of CD8(+) effector T cells: implications for their capacity to limit inflammatory central nervous system damage at the parenchymal level. J Neuroinflammation. 2012;9:41 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CD4(+) T reg cells are capable of suppressing CD8(+) T effector cell responses at the parenchymal site, that is, limiting parenchymal damage in autoimmune central nervous system inflammation. ..
- Blaise S, Kneib M, Rousseau A, Gambino F, Chenard M, Messadeq N, et al. In vivo evidence that TRAF4 is required for central nervous system myelin homeostasis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30917 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results provide conclusive evidence for the pivotal contribution of TRAF4 to myelination and to cerebellar homeostasis, and link the loss of TRAF4 function to demyelinating or neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Sim F, McClain C, Schanz S, Protack T, Windrem M, Goldman S. CD140a identifies a population of highly myelinogenic, migration-competent and efficiently engrafting human oligodendrocyte progenitor cells. Nat Biotechnol. 2011;29:934-41 pubmed publisher..Microarray analysis of CD140a(+) cells revealed overexpression of the oligodendroglial marker CD9, suggesting that CD9(+)/CD140a(+) cells may constitute an even more highly enriched population of myelinogenic progenitor cells. ..
- Buschmann J, Berger K, Awad H, Clarner T, Beyer C, Kipp M. Inflammatory response and chemokine expression in the white matter corpus callosum and gray matter cortex region during cuprizone-induced demyelination. J Mol Neurosci. 2012;48:66-76 pubmed publisher..The same holds true for the expression of the key chemokines Ccl2 and Ccl3. The current study defines a model to study early microglia activation and to investigate differences in the neuroinflammatory response of white vs. gray matter. ..
- Gresle M, Alexandrou E, Wu Q, Egan G, Jokubaitis V, Ayers M, et al. Leukemia inhibitory factor protects axons in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis via an oligodendrocyte-independent mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47379 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that endogenous CNTF and LIF act centrally to protect axons from acute inflammatory destruction via an oligodendrocyte-independent mechanism. ..
- Schonberg D, Goldstein E, Sahinkaya F, Wei P, Popovich P, McTigue D. Ferritin stimulates oligodendrocyte genesis in the adult spinal cord and can be transferred from macrophages to NG2 cells in vivo. J Neurosci. 2012;32:5374-84 pubmed publisher..This work has relevance for conditions in which iron-mediated injury and/or repair likely occur, such as hemorrhage, stroke, spinal cord injury, aging, Parkinson's disease, and Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Oluich L, Stratton J, Xing Y, Ng S, Cate H, Sah P, et al. Targeted ablation of oligodendrocytes induces axonal pathology independent of overt demyelination. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8317-30 pubmed publisher..e., in the absence of demyelination. These findings have clear implications for the understanding of the pathogenesis of diseases of the CNS such as multiple sclerosis in which the oligodendrocyte is potentially targeted. ..
- Favrais G, Van de Looij Y, Fleiss B, Ramanantsoa N, Bonnin P, Stoltenburg Didinger G, et al. Systemic inflammation disrupts the developmental program of white matter. Ann Neurol. 2011;70:550-65 pubmed publisher..This insult induces a long-lasting myelination deficit accompanied by cognitive defects and MRI abnormalities, further supporting the clinical relevance of the present data. ..
- Najm F, Zaremba A, Caprariello A, Nayak S, Freundt E, Scacheri P, et al. Rapid and robust generation of functional oligodendrocyte progenitor cells from epiblast stem cells. Nat Methods. 2011;8:957-62 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that mouse pluripotent stem cells provide a pure population of myelinogenic oligodendrocytes and offer a tractable platform for defining the molecular regulation of oligodendrocyte development and drug screening. ..
- Silvestroff L, Franco P, Pasquini J. ApoTransferrin: dual role on adult subventricular zone-derived neurospheres. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33937 pubmed publisher..This evidence supports a key role of Tf on the generation of OL from NSC/NPCs and highlights its potential in demyelinating disorder treatment. ..
- Powers B, Sellers D, Lovelett E, Cheung W, Aalami S, Zapertov N, et al. Remyelination reporter reveals prolonged refinement of spontaneously regenerated myelin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:4075-80 pubmed publisher..Further, without clear identification, past assessments have underestimated the extent and quality of regenerated myelin. ..
- Nash B, Thomson C, Linington C, Arthur A, McClure J, McBride M, et al. Functional duality of astrocytes in myelination. J Neurosci. 2011;31:13028-38 pubmed publisher..This observation has important implications with respect to the development of therapeutic strategies to promote CNS remyelination in demyelinating diseases. ..
- Bsibsi M, Nomden A, van Noort J, Baron W. Toll-like receptors 2 and 3 agonists differentially affect oligodendrocyte survival, differentiation, and myelin membrane formation. J Neurosci Res. 2012;90:388-98 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that, in addition to other neural cell types, also oligodendrocytes express functional TLRs, which play a role in regulating various aspects of oligodendrocyte behavior. ..
- Rockenstein E, Ubhi K, Inglis C, Mante M, Patrick C, Adame A, et al. Neuronal to oligodendroglial ?-synuclein redistribution in a double transgenic model of multiple system atrophy. Neuroreport. 2012;23:259-64 pubmed publisher..This model represents an important tool to examine the interactions between neuronal and oligodendrocytic ?-syn in diseases such as multiple system atrophy. ..
- Ishii A, Fyffe Maricich S, Furusho M, Miller R, Bansal R. ERK1/ERK2 MAPK signaling is required to increase myelin thickness independent of oligodendrocyte differentiation and initiation of myelination. J Neurosci. 2012;32:8855-64 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that the predominant role of ERK1/ERK2 signaling in vivo is in promoting rapid myelin growth to increase its thickness, subsequent to oligodendrocyte differentiation and the initiation of myelination. ..
- Zhou Y, Pannu R, Le T, Armstrong R. Fibroblast growth factor 1 (FGFR1) modulation regulates repair capacity of oligodendrocyte progenitor cells following chronic demyelination. Neurobiol Dis. 2012;45:196-205 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a direct effect of FGFR1 signaling in oligodendrocyte lineage cells as inhibiting the repair capacity of OP cells following chronic demyelination in the adult CNS. ..
- Weng Q, Chen Y, Wang H, Xu X, Yang B, He Q, et al. Dual-mode modulation of Smad signaling by Smad-interacting protein Sip1 is required for myelination in the central nervous system. Neuron. 2012;73:713-28 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings reveal that Sip1-mediated antagonism of inhibitory signaling is critical for promoting CNS myelination and point to new mediators for myelin repair...
- Tress O, Maglione M, Zlomuzica A, May D, Dicke N, Degen J, et al. Pathologic and phenotypic alterations in a mouse expressing a connexin47 missense mutation that causes Pelizaeus-Merzbacher-like disease in humans. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002146 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that PMLD1 is caused by the loss of Cx47 channel function that results in impaired panglial coupling in white matter tissue. ..
- Liu C, Sage J, Miller M, Verhaak R, Hippenmeyer S, Vogel H, et al. Mosaic analysis with double markers reveals tumor cell of origin in glioma. Cell. 2011;146:209-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest OPCs as the cell of origin in this model, even when initial mutations occur in NSCs, and highlight the importance of analyzing premalignant stages to identify the cancer cell of origin. ..
- Wang S, Bates J, Li X, Schanz S, Chandler Militello D, Levine C, et al. Human iPSC-derived oligodendrocyte progenitor cells can myelinate and rescue a mouse model of congenital hypomyelination. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;12:252-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the potential utility of hiPSC-derived OPCs in treating disorders of myelin loss. ..
- Cavaliere F, Urra O, Alberdi E, Matute C. Oligodendrocyte differentiation from adult multipotent stem cells is modulated by glutamate. Cell Death Dis. 2012;3:e268 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that ROS generated by NADPH oxidase by the activation of NMDA receptors promotes the maturation of oligodendrocytes and favors myelination...
- Vondran M, Singh H, Honeywell J, Dreyfus C. Levels of BDNF impact oligodendrocyte lineage cells following a cuprizone lesion. J Neurosci. 2011;31:14182-90 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that BDNF may play a role following a demyelinating lesion by regulating the numbers of progenitors and the abilities of demyelinating and differentiating cells to express myelin proteins. ..
- Konno M, Hasegawa T, Baba T, Miura E, Sugeno N, Kikuchi A, et al. Suppression of dynamin GTPase decreases ?-synuclein uptake by neuronal and oligodendroglial cells: a potent therapeutic target for synucleinopathy. Mol Neurodegener. 2012;7:38 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the mode of ?SYN uptake by neuronal and oligodendroglial cells and identify therapeutic strategies aimed at reducing the propagation of protein misfolding. ..
- Vora P, Pillai P, Mustapha J, Kowal C, Shaffer S, Bose R, et al. CXCL1 regulation of oligodendrocyte progenitor cell migration is independent of calcium signaling. Exp Neurol. 2012;236:259-67 pubmed publisher..Our results provide intriguing results relevant to specific aspects of patterning of white matter tracts in the central nervous system, and may further the understanding of tissue remodeling seen during disease-related processes. ..
- Lang J, Maeda Y, Bannerman P, Xu J, Horiuchi M, Pleasure D, et al. Adenomatous polyposis coli regulates oligodendroglial development. J Neurosci. 2013;33:3113-30 pubmed publisher..Together, our data support the hypothesis that APC regulates oligodendrocyte differentiation through both ?-catenin-dependent and additional ?-catenin-independent mechanisms. ..
- Sugiarto S, Persson A, Munoz E, Waldhuber M, Lamagna C, Andor N, et al. Asymmetry-defective oligodendrocyte progenitors are glioma precursors. Cancer Cell. 2011;20:328-40 pubmed publisher..Regulators of asymmetric cell division are misexpressed in low-grade oligodendrogliomas. Our results identify loss of asymmetric division associated with the neoplastic transformation of OPC. ..
- Lamprianou S, Chatzopoulou E, Thomas J, Bouyain S, Harroch S. A complex between contactin-1 and the protein tyrosine phosphatase PTPRZ controls the development of oligodendrocyte precursor cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17498-503 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results implicate the PTPRZ/CNTN1 complex as a previously unknown modulator of oligodendrogenesis. ..
- Liu J, Dietz K, Deloyht J, Pedre X, Kelkar D, Kaur J, et al. Impaired adult myelination in the prefrontal cortex of socially isolated mice. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:1621-3 pubmed publisher..Thus, myelinating oligodendrocytes in the adult PFC respond to social interaction with chromatin changes, suggesting that myelination acts as a form of adult plasticity. ..
- Huang R, Gao H, Zhang L, Jia J, Liu X, Zheng P, et al. Borna disease virus infection perturbs energy metabolites and amino acids in cultured human oligodendroglia cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44665 pubmed publisher..Previous studies have revealed that metabolic perturbations are associated with Borna disease viral infection. However, the pathophysiological mechanism underlying its mode of action remains unclear...
- Liu X, Lu Y, Zhang Y, Li Y, Zhou J, Yuan Y, et al. Slit2 regulates the dispersal of oligodendrocyte precursor cells via Fyn/RhoA signaling. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:17503-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrate for the first time that Slit2 regulates the dispersal of oligodendrocyte precursor cells through Fyn and RhoA signaling. ..
- Harris J, Attwell D. The energetics of CNS white matter. J Neurosci. 2012;32:356-71 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that mitochondria in optic nerve axons could sustain measured firing rates with a plausible density of glucose transporters in the nodal membrane, without the need for energy transfer from oligodendrocytes. ..
- Boda E, Viganò F, Rosa P, Fumagalli M, Labat Gest V, Tempia F, et al. The GPR17 receptor in NG2 expressing cells: focus on in vivo cell maturation and participation in acute trauma and chronic damage. Glia. 2011;59:1958-73 pubmed publisher..These findings identify GPR17 as a marker for progenitor progression within the oligodendroglial lineage and highlight its participation to postacute reactivity of NG2 cells in different injury paradigms. ..
- Siebert J, Osterhout D. The inhibitory effects of chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans on oligodendrocytes. J Neurochem. 2011;119:176-88 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this study shows that chondroitinase ABC treatment, having shown promise in promoting axonal regeneration, may also enhance remyelination. ..
- Picou F, Fauquier T, Chatonnet F, Flamant F. A bimodal influence of thyroid hormone on cerebellum oligodendrocyte differentiation. Mol Endocrinol. 2012;26:608-18 pubmed publisher..These data explain contradictory observations made on various models and outline the importance of T(3) signaling both for synchronizing postnatal neurodevelopment and restraining OPC proliferation in adult brain. ..
- Prineas J, Parratt J. Oligodendrocytes and the early multiple sclerosis lesion. Ann Neurol. 2012;72:18-31 pubmed publisher..These similarities raise the possibility that like NMO, MS is an autoimmune disease in which oligodendrocyte apoptosis is determined by injury to some other glial or mesenchymal component. ..