Genomes and Genes
Summary: The macroglial cells of EPENDYMA. They are characterized by bipolar cell body shape and processes that contact BASAL LAMINA around blood vessels and/or the PIA MATER and the CEREBRAL VENTRICLES.
- Hu X, Chen G, Zhang S, Zheng J, Wu J, Bai Q, et al. Persistent Expression of VCAM1 in Radial Glial Cells Is Required for the Embryonic Origin of Postnatal Neural Stem Cells. Neuron. 2017;95:309-325.e6 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insight on how stem cells in the embryo are preserved to meet the need for growth and regeneration. ..
- Tien T, Zhang J, Muto T, Kim D, Sarthy V, Roy S. High Glucose Induces Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Retinal Müller Cells: Implications for Diabetic Retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2915-2921 pubmed publisher..05). Findings indicate that HG-induced mitochondrial morphology changes and subsequent mitochondrial dysfunction may contribute to retinal Müller cell loss associated with diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Gambert S, Gabrielle P, Masson E, Leger Charnay E, Ferrerro A, Vannier A, et al. Cholesterol metabolism and glaucoma: Modulation of Muller cell membrane organization by 24S-hydroxycholesterol. Chem Phys Lipids. 2017;207:179-191 pubmed publisher..Our data showed that 24S-OHC induced early changes in protein distribution in raft microdomains; however, further studies are needed to better characterize the surrounded mechanisms. ..
- Matsuda M, Krempel P, Marquezini M, Sholl Franco A, Lameu A, Monteiro M, et al. Cellular stress response in human Müller cells (MIO-M1) after bevacizumab treatment. Exp Eye Res. 2017;160:1-10 pubmed publisher..Although bevacizumab did not significantly affect MIO-M1 cell viability, it led to metabolic and molecular changes (apoptosis, autophagy and structural abnormalities) suggestive of significant cellular toxicity. ..
- Hamon A, Masson C, Bitard J, Gieser L, Roger J, Perron M. Retinal Degeneration Triggers the Activation of YAP/TEAD in Reactive Müller Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:1941-1953 pubmed publisher..We also uncovered a deregulation of the expression and activity of Hippo/YAP pathway components in reactive Müller cells under pathologic conditions. ..
- Gorsuch R, Lahne M, Yarka C, Petravick M, Li J, Hyde D. Sox2 regulates Müller glia reprogramming and proliferation in the regenerating zebrafish retina via Lin28 and Ascl1a. Exp Eye Res. 2017;161:174-192 pubmed publisher..Finally, loss of Sox2 expression prevented complete regeneration of cone photoreceptors. This study is the first to identify a functional role for Sox2 during Müller glial-based regeneration of the vertebrate retina. ..
- Shimada I, Acar M, Burgess R, Zhao Z, Morrison S. Prdm16 is required for the maintenance of neural stem cells in the postnatal forebrain and their differentiation into ependymal cells. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1134-1146 pubmed publisher..These studies show that Prdm16 is required for adult neural stem cell maintenance and neurogenesis as well as the formation of ependymal cells. ..
- Zhao Z, Yang M, Azar S, Soong L, Weaver S, Sun J, et al. Viral Retinopathy in Experimental Models of Zika Infection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4355â€“4365 pubmed publisher..The ocular findings in microcephalic infants may not be solely caused by ZIKV-induced impairment of neurodevelopment. ..
- Zhang X, Liu Y, Zhang D, Zheng Q, Wang C, Wang L, et al. Cerebellar ependymoma with overlapping features of clear-cell and tanycytic variants mimicking hemangioblastoma: a case report and literature review. Diagn Pathol. 2017;12:28 pubmed publisher..Pathologists should consider this rare diagnosis when confronted with a similar presentation. ..
- Ishida T, Yoshida T, Shinohara K, Cao K, Nakahama K, Morita I, et al. Potential role of sirtuin 1 in Müller glial cells in mice choroidal neovascularization. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183775 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, sirtuin 1 activation in Müller glial cells suppressed the development of choroidal neovascularization, and therefore, might be a therapeutic option. ..
- Koopman A, Taziaux M, Bakker J. Age-related changes in the morphology of tanycytes in the human female infundibular nucleus/median eminence. J Neuroendocrinol. 2017;29: pubmed publisher..The results of the present study thus demonstrate that the number and structure of tanycytic processes are altered during ageing, suggesting that tanycytes might be involved in the age-related changes observed in GnRH release. ..
- Hassan I, Luo Q, Majumdar S, Dominguez J, Busik J, Bhatwadekar A. Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha (TNF-?) Disrupts Kir4.1 Channel Expression Resulting in Müller Cell Dysfunction in the Retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2473-2482 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that Kir4.1 channels possess a diurnal rhythm, and this rhythm is dampened with diabetes, thereby suggesting that the increase in TNF-? is detrimental to normal Kir4.1 rhythm and expression. ..
- Farag M, Yoshikawa Y, Maeta K, Kataoka T. Rapgef2, a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rap1 small GTPases, plays a crucial role in adherence junction (AJ) formation in radial glial cells through ERK-mediated upregulation of the AJ-constituent protein expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:139-145 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a crucial role of the Rapgef2-Rap1A-ERK-c-jun pathway in regulation of the AJ formation in RGCs. ..
- Hu P, Hunt N, Arfuso F, Shaw L, Uddin M, Zhu M, et al. Increased Indoleamine 2,3-Dioxygenase and Quinolinic Acid Expression in Microglia and MÃ¼ller Cells of Diabetic Human and Rodent Retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5043-5055 pubmed publisher..1-fold when compared with controls. Our findings suggest that IDO and QUIN expression in the retinas of diabetic rats and humans could contribute to the neuronal degeneration that is characteristic of diabetic retinopathy. ..