Genomes and Genes
peripheral nerve injuries
Summary: Injuries to the PERIPHERAL NERVES.
- Gonzalez A, Ugarte G, Restrepo C, Herrera G, Piña R, Gómez Sánchez J, et al. Role of the Excitability Brake Potassium Current IKD in Cold Allodynia Induced by Chronic Peripheral Nerve Injury. J Neurosci. 2017;37:3109-3126 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that cold allodynia is linked to a reduction of IKD in both high-threshold cold thermoreceptors and nociceptors expressing TRPM8, providing a general model for this form of cold-induced pain. ..
- Koshy J, Agrawal N, Seruya M. Nerve Transfer versus Interpositional Nerve Graft Reconstruction for Posttraumatic, Isolated Axillary Nerve Injuries: A Systematic Review. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:953-960 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to compare functional outcomes between nerve grafting and nerve transfer procedures in the setting of isolated, posttraumatic axillary nerve injuries...
- Jerosch J, Castro W, Geske B. Damage of the long thoracic and dorsal scapular nerve after traumatic shoulder dislocation: case report and review of the literature. Acta Orthop Belg. 1990;56:625-7 pubmed..Stabilization of the glenohumeral joint was successfully accomplished by surgery. The athlete declined further operative approaches to stabilize the scapula. The patient was able to return to the former level of athletic activity. ..
- Mangir N, Turkeri L. Stem cell therapies in post-prostatectomy erectile dysfunction: a critical review. Can J Urol. 2017;24:8609-8619 pubmed
- Kelly B, Hambright D, Rodriguez E. Risk of Injury to Neurovascular Structures During Open Cerclage Wiring of the Femur: A Cadaveric Study. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2017;26:1-6 pubmed
- Alonso F, GRAHAM R, Rustagi T, Drazin D, Loukas M, Oskouian R, et al. The Subcostal Nerve During Lateral Approaches to the Lumbar Spine: An Anatomical Study with Relevance for Injury Avoidance and Postoperative Complications Such as Abdominal Wall Hernia. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:669-673 pubmed publisher..The subcostal nerve is the dominant nerve in both size and innervation of the oblique muscles in the lateral position, transpsoas approach. ..
- Stoll G, Muller H. Nerve injury, axonal degeneration and neural regeneration: basic insights. Brain Pathol. 1999;9:313-25 pubmed..At present it is unclear whether axonal regeneration after nerve injury is impeded in neuropathies. ..
- Zhou J, Wang F, Xu C, Zhou Z, Zhang W. The histone demethylase JMJD2A regulates the expression of BDNF and mediates neuropathic pain in mice. Exp Cell Res. 2017;361:155-162 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings demonstrate that up-regulation of JMJD2A promotes neuropathic pain and it may serve as a promising target for treatment of chronic neuropathic pain...
- Galán Arriero I, Serrano Muñoz D, Gómez Soriano J, Goicoechea C, Taylor J, Velasco A, et al. The role of Omega-3 and Omega-9 fatty acids for the treatment of neuropathic pain after neurotrauma. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2017;1859:1629-1635 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Membrane Lipid Therapy: Drugs Targeting Biomembranes edited by Pablo V. Escribá. ..
- Rasulic L, Savić A, VİTOšEVİć F, Samardzic M, Zivkovic B, Mićović M, et al. Iatrogenic Peripheral Nerve Injuries-Surgical Treatment and Outcome: 10 Years' Experience. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:841-851.e6 pubmed publisher..The timing of reconstructive surgery and the technique used are the crucial factors for functional recovery. ..
- Cai M, Huang T, Hou B, Guo Y. Role of Demyelination Efficiency within Acellular Nerve Scaffolds during Nerve Regeneration across Peripheral Defects. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4606387 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the modified method for producing a demyelinated acellular scaffold may aid functional recovery in general after nerve defects. ..
- Gao X, Wang Y, Chen J, Peng J. The role of peripheral nerve ECM components in the tissue engineering nerve construction. Rev Neurosci. 2013;24:443-53 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the structure, function, and application in the tissue engineering nerve construction of the peripheral nerve ECM components. ..
- Tomaszewski R, Wozowicz A, Wysocka Wojakiewicz P. Analysis of Early Neurovascular Complications of Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures: A Long-Term Observation. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:2803790 pubmed publisher..1) In children with supracondylar fracture the most often injured nerve is median nerve. (2) The incidence of vascular and nerve complications positively correlates with the progression of fracture according to Gartland classification. ..
- Jankovic J, van der Linden C. Dystonia and tremor induced by peripheral trauma: predisposing factors. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1988;51:1512-9 pubmed..In 15 patients (65%) possible predisposing factors may have contributed to the pathogenesis of the trauma induced abnormal involuntary movements. ..
- Lin Q, Cai Y, Li H. [Experimental study on gradient of nerve growth factor immobilized conduits promoting peripheral nerve regeneration in rats]. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2014;28:167-72 pubmed
- Catapano J, Zhang J, SCHOLL D, Chiang C, Gordon T, Borschel G. N-Acetylcysteine Prevents Retrograde Motor Neuron Death after Neonatal Peripheral Nerve Injury. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;139:1105e-1115e pubmed publisher..High-dose N-acetylcysteine significantly increases motor neuron survival, which may improve functional outcomes after obstetrical brachial plexus injury. ..
- Giannaccini M, Calatayud M, Poggetti A, Corbianco S, Novelli M, Paoli M, et al. Magnetic Nanoparticles for Efficient Delivery of Growth Factors: Stimulation of Peripheral Nerve Regeneration. Adv Healthc Mater. 2017;6: pubmed publisherThe only clinically approved alternative to autografts for treating large peripheral nerve injuries is the use of synthetic nerve guidance conduits (NGCs), which provide physical guidance to the regenerating stump and limit scar tissue ..
- Hong X, Hong X, Gu W, Lin J, Yin W. Femoral nerve repair using an h-type nerve regeneration chamber in rats. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2017;31:335-341 pubmed
- Ee X, Yan Y, Hunter D, Schellhardt L, Sakiyama Elbert S, Mackinnon S, et al. Transgenic SCs expressing GDNF-IRES-DsRed impair nerve regeneration within acellular nerve allografts. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2017;114:2121-2130 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a component of axon entrapment is independent of GDNF's impact on axons. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 2017;114: 2121-2130. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Meister F, Amygdalos I, Neumann U, Lurje G. Rectal foreign body insertion as a rare cause of persistent lumbosacral plexus injury. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99:e191-e192 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first reported case of severe and persistent post-traumatic lumbosacral plexus injury through a rectal foreign body...
- Roque J, Pomini K, Buchaim R, Buchaim D, Andreo J, Roque D, et al. Inside-out and standard vein grafts associated with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in sciatic nerve repair. A histomorphometric study. Acta Cir Bras. 2017;32:617-625 pubmed publisher..67 ?m2), but are still lower than the values of the Sham group. The graft filled with platelet-rich plasma, with use standard (SVPRP) or inside-out vein (IOVPRP), promoted the improvement in axonal regeneration on sciatic nerve injury. ..
- Gerullis H, Ecke T, Barski D, Bantel C, Weyland A, Uphoff J, et al. Retrospective analysis of a surgical innovation using the IDEAL framework: radical cystectomy with epidural anaesthesia. J Int Med Res. 2017;45:714-722 pubmed publisher..The present study confirmed the functional results of this technique, which can be classified as IDEAL stage 2a on the basis of published studies. ..
- Ji Z, Liu Z, Liu Z, Zhao W, Williams B, Zhang H, et al. Diphenyleneiodonium Mitigates Bupivacaine-Induced Sciatic Nerve Damage in a Diabetic Neuropathy Rat Model by Attenuating Oxidative Stress. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:653-661 pubmed publisher..05). Subcutaneous injection of DPI appears to protect against the functional and neurohistological damage of bupivacaine-blocked sciatic nerves in a high-fat diet/streptozotocin-induced DN model. ..
- Weng Y, An R, Cassin J, Joseph J, Mi R, Wang C, et al. An Intrinsic Epigenetic Barrier for Functional Axon Regeneration. Neuron. 2017;94:337-346.e6 pubmed publisher..Together, our study suggests an epigenetic barrier that can be removed by active DNA demethylation to permit axon regeneration in the adult mammalian nervous system. ..
- Wang E, Inaba K, Byerly S, Escamilla D, Cho J, Carey J, et al. Optimal timing for repair of peripheral nerve injuries. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:875-881 pubmed publisherData regarding outcomes after peripheral nerve injuries is limited, and the optimal management strategy for an acute injury is unclear...
- Bar K, Saldanha G, Kennedy A, Facer P, Birch R, Carlstedt T, et al. GDNF and its receptor component Ret in injured human nerves and dorsal root ganglia. Neuroreport. 1998;9:43-7 pubmed..Our findings suggest that GDNF may play a role in injured human nerves and sensory ganglia, particularly in medium sized sensory neurones. ..
- Lindborg J, Mack M, Zigmond R. Neutrophils Are Critical for Myelin Removal in a Peripheral Nerve Injury Model of Wallerian Degeneration. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10258-10277 pubmed publisher..These degeneration studies may propel improvements in nerve regeneration and draw critical parallels to mechanisms of nerve degeneration and regeneration in the CNS and in the context of peripheral neuropathies. ..
- Faucher G, Daruwalla J, Seiler J. Complications of Surgical Release\break of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Systematic Review. J Surg Orthop Adv. 2017;26:18-24 pubmed..This higher incidence of transient nerve injury and lack of increased skin complications should be weighed when deciding between open and endoscopic techniques. ..
- Renno W, Benov L, Khan K. Possible role of antioxidative capacity of (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate treatment in morphological and neurobehavioral recovery after sciatic nerve crush injury. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;27:593-613 pubmed publisher..Only upregulation of glutathione reductase supports the idea that EGCG is acting indirectly via induction of enzymes or transcription factors. ..
- Flynn K, Shah A, Brusalis C, Leddy K, Flynn J. Flexion-Type Supracondylar Humeral Fractures: Ulnar Nerve Injury Increases Risk of Open Reduction. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:1485-1487 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic Level III. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Challoumas D, Dimitrakakis G. Insights into the epidemiology, aetiology and associations of infraspinatus atrophy in overhead athletes: a systematic review. Sports Biomech. 2017;16:325-341 pubmed publisher..Important questions about IA and its significance in overhead sports remain unanswered and more biomechanical and prospective studies are warranted to provide further insights into this athletic injury. ..
- Dai Y, Zhao X, Chen P, Yu Y, Wang Y, Xie L. Neuropeptide FF Promotes Recovery of Corneal Nerve Injury Associated With Hyperglycemia. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:7754-65 pubmed publisher..Neuropeptide FF is a potential neuroregenerative factor for diabetic sensory nerve injury. Chinese Abstract. ..
- Clements M, Byrne E, Camarillo Guerrero L, Cattin A, Zakka L, Ashraf A, et al. The Wound Microenvironment Reprograms Schwann Cells to Invasive Mesenchymal-like Cells to Drive Peripheral Nerve Regeneration. Neuron. 2017;96:98-114.e7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the wound microenvironment is a key determinant of Schwann cell identity, and it promotes nerve repair through integration of multiple concerted signals. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- Inoue K. Neuropharmacological Study of ATP Receptors, Especially in the Relationship between Glia and Pain. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2017;137:563-569 pubmed publisher..The inhibition of P2X4R action suppresses the functions of microglia and neuropathic pain. These results indicate that overexpressing P2X4Rs on microglia are a central player in evoking neuropathic pain. ..
- Holme J, Skajaa K, Holme K. Incidence of lesions of the saphenous nerve after partial or complete stripping of the long saphenous vein. Acta Chir Scand. 1990;156:145-8 pubmed..We conclude that preservation of the distal long saphenous vein not only reduces nerve damage, but also retains enough vein for use should coronary artery bypass or peripheral vascular grafting be necessary in future. ..