Genomes and Genes
Summary: A meshlike structure composed of interconnecting nerve cells that are separated at the synaptic junction or joined to one another by cytoplasmic processes. In invertebrates, for example, the nerve net allows nerve impulses to spread over a wide area of the net because synapses can pass information in any direction.
- Kennedy H, Knoblauch K, Toroczkai Z. Why data coherence and quality is critical for understanding interareal cortical networks. Neuroimage. 2013;80:37-45 pubmed publisher..It is to be expected that the future examination of the 62 remaining areas will disclose further levels of complexity and enable construction of a weighted directed graph revealing the hierarchical complexity of the cortex. ..
- Sadaghiani S, Kleinschmidt A. Functional interactions between intrinsic brain activity and behavior. Neuroimage. 2013;80:379-86 pubmed publisher..We conclude by reviewing how the functional significance of ongoing activity manifests in its impact on human action, perception, and higher cognitive function. ..
- Fornito A, Zalesky A, Breakspear M. Graph analysis of the human connectome: promise, progress, and pitfalls. Neuroimage. 2013;80:426-44 pubmed publisher..We review these pitfalls, the prevailing solutions to overcome them, and the challenges at the forefront of the field. ..
- Liu T. Neurovascular factors in resting-state functional MRI. Neuroimage. 2013;80:339-48 pubmed publisher..This paper examines the role of neurovascular factors in rsfMRI and reviews approaches for the interpretation and analysis of resting state measures in the presence of confounding factors. ..
- Meng C, Brandl F, Tahmasian M, Shao J, Manoliu A, Scherr M, et al. Aberrant topology of striatum's connectivity is associated with the number of episodes in depression. Brain. 2014;137:598-609 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that the reorganization of striatal connectivity may interact with the course of episodes in depression thereby contributing to depressive relapse risk. ..
- Leistritz L, Weiss T, BÃ¤r K, De Vicofallani F, Babiloni F, Witte H, et al. Network redundancy analysis of effective brain networks: a comparison of healthy controls and patients with major depression. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60956 pubmed publisher..This might then lead to a reduction in network redundancy during stimulus processing. ..
- Murphy K, Birn R, Bandettini P. Resting-state fMRI confounds and cleanup. Neuroimage. 2013;80:349-59 pubmed publisher..For successful interpretation of resting-state fMRI comparisons and results, noise cleanup is an often over-looked but essential step in the analysis pipeline. ..
- Chen X, DeAngelis G, Angelaki D. Diverse spatial reference frames of vestibular signals in parietal cortex. Neuron. 2013;80:1310-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal distinct spatial reference frames for representing vestibular signals and pose new challenges for understanding the respective roles of these areas in potentially diverse vestibular functions. ..
- Cao M, Wang J, Dai Z, Cao X, Jiang L, Fan F, et al. Topological organization of the human brain functional connectome across the lifespan. Dev Cogn Neurosci. 2014;7:76-93 pubmed publisher..These results have important implications for disease connectomics because they provide a baseline for evaluating network impairments in age-related neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- Paille V, Fino E, Du K, Morera Herreras T, Perez S, Kotaleski J, et al. GABAergic circuits control spike-timing-dependent plasticity. J Neurosci. 2013;33:9353-63 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a central role for GABAergic circuits in shaping STDP and suggest that GABA could operate as a Hebbian/anti-Hebbian switch. ..
- da Costa N, Martin K. Sparse reconstruction of brain circuits: or, how to survive without a microscopic connectome. Neuroimage. 2013;80:27-36 pubmed publisher..Rather than providing a snap-shot of an entire wiring diagram, our strategy provides for a statistical description of the circuit and integrates theory, function, and structure in a common framework. ..
- David O, Job A, De Palma L, Hoffmann D, Minotti L, Kahane P. Probabilistic functional tractography of the human cortex. Neuroimage. 2013;80:307-17 pubmed publisher..Generated probabilistic maps will be freely distributed to the community because they provide critical information for further understanding and modelling of large-scale brain networks. ..
- Sippy T, Yuste R. Decorrelating action of inhibition in neocortical networks. J Neurosci. 2013;33:9813-30 pubmed publisher..We conclude that inhibitory interneurons do not have synchronous activity during UP states, and that their function may be to decorrelate rather than to synchronize the firing of neurons within the local network. ..
- Schuemann A, Klawiter A, Bonhoeffer T, Wierenga C. Structural plasticity of GABAergic axons is regulated by network activity and GABAA receptor activation. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:113 pubmed publisher..The latter effect requires signaling through GABAA receptors. We propose that activity-dependent regulation of bouton dynamics contributes to inhibitory synaptic plasticity. ..
- Peer M, Nitzan M, Bick A, Levin N, Arzy S. Evidence for Functional Networks within the Human Brain's White Matter. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6394-6407 pubmed publisher..Our findings enable reinterpretation of many existing fMRI datasets, and suggest a new way to explore the white-matter role in cognition and its disturbances in neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- Butler R, Bernier P, Lefebvre J, Gilbert G, Whittingstall K. Decorrelated Input Dissociates Narrow Band ? Power and BOLD in Human Visual Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5408-5418 pubmed publisher..This likely explains why certain neurodevelopmental disorders are characterized by weak ? activity despite showing normal blood flow. ..
- Duffy F, Shankardass A, McAnulty G, Als H. A unique pattern of cortical connectivity characterizes patients with attention deficit disorders: a large electroencephalographic coherence study. BMC Med. 2017;15:51 pubmed publisher..Split-half replications support potential for EEG-based ADD diagnosis, with increased accuracy using limited age ranges. Repeated studies could assist recognition of physiological change from interventions (pharmacological, behavioral). ..
- Pagani M, Giuliani A, Oberg J, De Carli F, Morbelli S, Girtler N, et al. Progressive Disintegration of Brain Networking from Normal Aging to Alzheimer Disease: Analysis of Independent Components of 18F-FDG PET Data. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1132-1139 pubmed publisher..This information might be useful as a prognostic aid for individual patients and as a surrogate biomarker in intervention trials. ..
- Dordek Y, Soudry D, Meir R, Derdikman D. Extracting grid cell characteristics from place cell inputs using non-negative principal component analysis. elife. 2016;5:e10094 pubmed publisher..Consistent with experiments, grid spacing ratio between the first two consecutive modules is -1.4. Our results express a possible linkage between place cell to grid cell interactions and PCA. ..
- ..By doing so, they provide an elegant framework for predicting behavior from functional network properties. ..
- Rosenbaum D, Hagen K, Deppermann S, Kroczek A, Haeussinger F, Heinzel S, et al. State-dependent altered connectivity in late-life depression: a functional near-infrared spectroscopy study. Neurobiol Aging. 2016;39:57-68 pubmed publisher..Higher FC at rest may be an indicator of self-referential processes such as rumination that may reduce FC during task performance due to an overtaxed executive control system. ..
- Chakravartula S, Indic P, Sundaram B, Killingback T. Emergence of local synchronization in neuronal networks with adaptive couplings. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178975 pubmed publisher..These deterministic systems exhibit complex dynamics with 1/f? power spectra, which appears to be a consequence of a novel form of self-organized criticality. ..
- Zhang X, Zhong W, BrankaÄk J, Weyer S, MÃ¼ller U, Tort A, et al. Impaired theta-gamma coupling in APP-deficient mice. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21948 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings reveal reduced cross-frequency coupling as a functional marker of APP deficiency at the network level. ..
- Kanat A, Aydin M, Bayram E, Kazdal H, Aydin N, Omeroglu M, et al. A New Determinant of Poor Outcome After Spontaneous Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: Blood pH and the Disruption of Glossopharyngeal Nerve-Carotid Body Network: First Experimental Study. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:330-338 pubmed publisher..An inverse relationship between neurodegeneration in the CB and pH values secondary to the disruption of the GPN-CB network after SAH was found, which may contribute to developing acidosis. ..
- Syan S, Minuzzi L, Costescu D, Smith M, Allega O, Coote M, et al. Influence of endogenous estradiol, progesterone, allopregnanolone, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate on brain resting state functional connectivity across the menstrual cycle. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1246-1255.e4 pubmed publisher..It seems that the association between female sex hormones and brain Rs-FC is menstrual cycle phase-dependent. Future studies should examine the cognitive and behavioral correlates of this association in regularly cycling women. ..
- Cassidy C, Van Snellenberg J, Benavides C, Slifstein M, Wang Z, Moore H, et al. Dynamic Connectivity between Brain Networks Supports Working Memory: Relationships to Dopamine Release and Schizophrenia. J Neurosci. 2016;36:4377-88 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that dynamic interactions between brain networks may support the type of flexible adaptations essential to goal-directed behavior. ..