Genomes and Genes
Summary: Disruptions of the rhythmic cycle of bodily functions or activities.
- De Leersnyder H, Bresson J, De Blois M, Souberbielle J, Mogenet A, Delhotal Landes B, et al. Beta 1-adrenergic antagonists and melatonin reset the clock and restore sleep in a circadian disorder, Smith-Magenis syndrome. J Med Genet. 2003;40:74-8 pubmed
- Chen C, Kuhn P, Advis J, Sarkar D. Prenatal ethanol exposure alters the expression of period genes governing the circadian function of beta-endorphin neurons in the hypothalamus. J Neurochem. 2006;97:1026-33 pubmed..These data suggest for the first time that fetal exposure to ethanol significantly alters the clock mechanisms governing the circadian function of beta-endorphin neurons...
- Morton A, Wood N, Hastings M, Hurelbrink C, Barker R, Maywood E. Disintegration of the sleep-wake cycle and circadian timing in Huntington's disease. J Neurosci. 2005;25:157-63 pubmed..We propose that circadian sleep disturbances are an important pathological feature of HD, that they arise from pathology within the SCN molecular oscillation, and that their treatment will bring appreciable benefits to HD patients. ..
- Chen C, Kuhn P, Advis J, Sarkar D. Chronic ethanol consumption impairs the circadian rhythm of pro-opiomelanocortin and period genes mRNA expression in the hypothalamus of the male rat. J Neurochem. 2004;88:1547-54 pubmed..Our findings identified the vulnerability of the body's clock machinery and its opioidergic system to chronic alcohol drinking. ..
- Pandi Perumal S, Moscovitch A, Srinivasan V, Spence D, Cardinali D, Brown G. Bidirectional communication between sleep and circadian rhythms and its implications for depression: lessons from agomelatine. Prog Neurobiol. 2009;88:264-71 pubmed publisher..Disruptions in melatonin secretion or availability may be the common factor, which underlies depressive disorder and its prominent signs and symptoms such as sleep and circadian rhythm abnormalities. ..
- Sollars P, Ogilvie M, Simpson A, Pickard G. Photic entrainment is altered in the 5-HT1B receptor knockout mouse. J Biol Rhythms. 2006;21:21-32 pubmed..The 5-HT1B KO mouse may be useful for investigating the altered entrainment evident during this serious mood disorder. ..
- Lockley S. Timed melatonin treatment for delayed sleep phase syndrome: the importance of knowing circadian phase. Sleep. 2005;28:1214-6 pubmed
- Erren T, Morfeld P. Shift work and cancer research: a thought experiment into a potential chronobiological fallacy of past and perspectives for future epidemiological studies. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2013;34:282-6 pubmed..In addition, we consider first empirical evidence from recent research which avoided such bias. Methodological perspectives for future chronobiology-driven epidemiological research are outlined. ..
- Hadden H, Soldin S, Massaro D. Circadian disruption alters mouse lung clock gene expression and lung mechanics. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2012;113:385-92 pubmed publisher..Among CJL males, expression of Clock was decreased; Per 2 and Rev-erb alpha expression was increased. We conclude circadian disruption alters lung mechanics and clock gene expression and does so in a sexually dimorphic manner. ..
- Herdegen J. Intensive care unit sleep disruption: can the cycle be restored?. Crit Care Med. 2002;30:709-10 pubmed
- Yan L. Structural and functional changes in the suprachiasmatic nucleus following chronic circadian rhythm perturbation. Neuroscience. 2011;183:99-107 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results suggest that rhythm perturbation could compromise the time-keeping function of the SCN, which could contribute to the associated health issues. ..
- Lee Chiong T. Sleep and sleep disorders: an overview. Med Clin North Am. 2004;88:xi-xiv pubmed
- Boivin D, Caliyurt O, James F, Chalk C. Association between delayed sleep phase and hypernyctohemeral syndromes: a case study. Sleep. 2004;27:417-21 pubmed..These results support an association between the hypernyctohemeral syndrome and the DSPS. This association may carry implications for the treatment of circadian rhythms disorders. ..
- Samuels C. Sleep, recovery, and performance: the new frontier in high-performance athletics. Neurol Clin. 2008;26:169-80; ix-x pubmed publisher..This article discusses these theoretic concepts, presents relevant clinical cases, and reviews pilot data exploring the prevalence of sleep disturbance in two groups of high-performance athletes. ..
- Smith S, Carrington M, Trinder J. Subjective and predicted sleepiness while driving in young adults. Accid Anal Prev. 2005;37:1066-73 pubmed
- Morris C, Yang J, Scheer F. The impact of the circadian timing system on cardiovascular and metabolic function. Prog Brain Res. 2012;199:337-58 pubmed publisher..This suggests that misalignment between the behavioral cycle and the circadian timing system in shift workers contributes to that population's increased risk for cardiometabolic disease. ..
- Gross V, Tank J, Partke H, Plehm R, Diedrich A, da Costa Goncalves A, et al. Cardiovascular autonomic regulation in Non-Obese Diabetic (NOD) mice. Auton Neurosci. 2008;138:108-13 pubmed publisher..In conclusion the use of diabetic NOD mice as a functional model for human diabetes may be questioned. ..
- Betancourt Mar J, Nieto Villar J. Theoretical models for chronotherapy: periodic perturbations in funnel chaos type. Math Biosci Eng. 2007;4:177-86 pubmed..Funnel chaos, in this chrono therapy model, could be considered as a later state of a dynamical disease, more irregular and difficult to suppress. ..
- Ruby C, Prosser R, DePaul M, Roberts R, Glass J. Acute ethanol impairs photic and nonphotic circadian phase resetting in the Syrian hamster. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R411-8 pubmed publisher..Notably, EtOH inhibition of photic signaling is manifest through direct action in the SCN. Such actions could underlie the disruption of circadian rhythmicity associated with alcohol abuse. ..
- Tukek T, Yildiz P, Atilgan D, Tuzcu V, Eren M, Erk O, et al. Effect of diurnal variability of heart rate on development of arrhythmia in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Cardiol. 2003;88:199-206 pubmed
- Shimazoe T, Nakamura S, Kobayashi K, Watanabe S, Miyasaka K, Kono A, et al. Role of 5-HT1B receptors in entrainment disorder of Otsuka Long Evans Tokushima fatty (OLETF) rats. Neuroscience. 2004;123:201-5 pubmed..The phase shifts were significantly increased by isamoltan (3 mg/kg, i.p.) in OLETF rats. These results suggest that 5-HT1B receptors are involved in the reduced entrainment function of OLETF rats. ..
- Wheeler B, Taylor B, Simonsen K, Reith D. Melatonin treatment in Smith Magenis syndrome. Sleep. 2005;28:1609-10 pubmed
- Hanai M, Esashi T. The interactive effect of dietary water-soluble vitamin levels on the depression of gonadal development in growing male rats kept under disturbed daily rhythm. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2012;58:230-9 pubmed..The results showed that the depression of gonadal development in rats kept under disturbed daily rhythm was improved by getting a high amount of PA and normal amount of VB6 and VB1. ..
- Tapia Osorio A, Salgado Delgado R, Angeles Castellanos M, Escobar C. Disruption of circadian rhythms due to chronic constant light leads to depressive and anxiety-like behaviors in the rat. Behav Brain Res. 2013;252:1-9 pubmed publisher..Present results point out the main role played by the biological clock and the risk of altered photoperiods on affective behavior. ..
- Ancoli Israel S, Gehrman P, Martin J, Shochat T, Marler M, Corey Bloom J, et al. Increased light exposure consolidates sleep and strengthens circadian rhythms in severe Alzheimer's disease patients. Behav Sleep Med. 2003;1:22-36 pubmed..It would behoove nursing homes to consider increasing ambient light in multipurpose rooms where patients often spend much of their days. ..
- Sher L. Etiology, pathogenesis, and treatment of seasonal and non-seasonal mood disorders: possible role of circadian rhythm abnormalities related to developmental alcohol exposure. Med Hypotheses. 2004;62:797-801 pubmed..Therefore, subtle circadian rhythm abnormalities related to developmental alcohol exposure may affect treatment response in patients with mood disorders. ..
- Verceles A, Silhan L, Terrin M, Netzer G, Shanholtz C, Scharf S. Circadian rhythm disruption in severe sepsis: the effect of ambient light on urinary 6-sulfatoxymelatonin secretion. Intensive Care Med. 2012;38:804-10 pubmed publisher..Light levels were low, exhibited limited diurnal variation, and did not entrain circadian rhythms in these patients. ..
- Marcheva B, Ramsey K, Affinati A, Bass J. Clock genes and metabolic disease. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;107:1638-46 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that improved understanding of the interconnections between the circadian and metabolic networks will open new windows on the treatment of sleep and metabolic disorders, including diabetes mellitus and obesity. ..
- Paul M, Miller J, Gray G, Buick F, Blazeski S, Arendt J. Circadian phase delay induced by phototherapeutic devices. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2007;78:645-52 pubmed..The light tower was the best device, producing melatonin suppression and circadian phase change while relatively free of side effects. ..
- Bloch K, Brack T, Wirz Justice A. Transient short free running circadian rhythm in a case of aneurysm near the suprachiasmatic nuclei. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005;76:1178-80 pubmed..Magnetic resonance imaging and cerebral angiography showed an aneurysm at the bifurcation of the right internal carotid artery, close to the circadian pacemaker structure (the suprachiasmatic nuclei), which was later occluded. ..
- Mishima K. [New hypnotics ramelteon for the treatment of insomniacs with circadian rhythm disturbance]. Nihon Rinsho. 2012;70:1069-78 pubmed..Optimal administration plan for insomniac patients to induce these characteristic sleep-modulating effects by ramelteon was discussed. ..
- Wright K, Hull J, Hughes R, Ronda J, Czeisler C. Sleep and wakefulness out of phase with internal biological time impairs learning in humans. J Cogn Neurosci. 2006;18:508-21 pubmed..In addition, our results demonstrate that exposure to dim light (approximately 25 lx) is sufficient to expand the range of entrainment in humans. ..
- Parker K. Insomnia on dialysis nights. Semin Dial. 2003;16:77-8 pubmed
- Ma W, Cao J, Tian M, Cui M, Han H, Yang Y, et al. Exposure to chronic constant light impairs spatial memory and influences long-term depression in rats. Neurosci Res. 2007;59:224-30 pubmed..Thus, these results suggested that CCL exposure impaired spatial memory and influenced hippocampal LTD, which may be due to stress adaptation. ..
- Horrocks N, Pounder R. Working the night shift: preparation, survival and recovery--a guide for junior doctors. Clin Med (Lond). 2006;6:61-7 pubmed..It is hoped that the advice will make the challenge of night shift work not only easier to tolerate, but also safer for both hospital patients and their doctors. ..
- Li S, Shi J, Epstein D, Wang X, Zhang X, Bao Y, et al. Circadian alteration in neurobiology during 30 days of abstinence in heroin users. Biol Psychiatry. 2009;65:905-12 pubmed publisher..These prolonged neurobiological changes may play a role in protracted opiate withdrawal symptoms and contribute to relapse vulnerability. ..
- Wilson J. The impact of shift patterns on healthcare professionals. J Nurs Manag. 2002;10:211-9 pubmed..Conclusions The paper concludes with recommendations to inform decision-making by nurse managers responsible for the completion of duty rotas in health service provision. ..
- Matsuki T, Nomiyama M, Takahira H, Hirashima N, Kunita S, Takahashi S, et al. Selective loss of GABA(B) receptors in orexin-producing neurons results in disrupted sleep/wakefulness architecture. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:4459-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, GABA(B) receptors on orexin neurons are crucial in the appropriate control of the orexinergic tone through sleep/wake states, thereby stabilizing the state switching mechanisms. ..
- Mouzas I, Pallis A, Kochiadakis G, Marketou M, Chlouverakis G, Mellisas J, et al. Autonomic imbalance during the day in patients with inflammatory bowel disease in remission. Evidence from spectral analysis of heart rate variability over 24 hours. Dig Liver Dis. 2002;34:775-80 pubmed..This imbalance has a circadian rhythm and it is more pronounced during the day. ..
- Delezie J, Challet E. Interactions between metabolism and circadian clocks: reciprocal disturbances. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011;1243:30-46 pubmed publisher..Chronotherapeutic approaches of dieting to maintain or restore a proper circadian alignment could be useful to limit the magnitude of metabolic risks. ..
- Werth E, Savaskan E, Knoblauch V, Gasio P, Van Someren E, Hock C, et al. Decline in long-term circadian rest-activity cycle organization in a patient with dementia. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol. 2002;15:55-9 pubmed..Pacing, a nonphotic zeitgeber strengthening, led to improved synchronization of the rest-activity cycle. ..
- He B, Chen Z. Molecular Targets for Small-Molecule Modulators of Circadian Clocks. Curr Drug Metab. 2016;17:503-12 pubmed..Studies of clock modulators will facilitate their therapeutic applications, alone or in combination, for clock-related diseases. ..
- Sánchez Fernández I, Ramgopal S, Powell C, Gregas M, Zarowski M, Shah A, et al. Clinical evolution of seizures: distribution across time of day and sleep/wakefulness cycle. J Neurol. 2013;260:549-57 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that the evolution of seizures into different phases cluster at specific times of day and at specific phases of the sleep/wakefulness cycle. ..
- Anea C, Zhang M, Stepp D, Simkins G, Reed G, Fulton D, et al. Vascular disease in mice with a dysfunctional circadian clock. Circulation. 2009;119:1510-7 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a new role for the circadian clock during chronic vascular responses that may be of significance in the progression of vascular disease. ..
- Wepner F, Hahne J, Teichmann A, Berka Schmid G, Hördinger A, Friedrich M. [Treatment with crystal singing bowls for chronic spinal pain and chronobiologic activities - a randomized controlled trial]. Forsch Komplementmed. 2008;15:130-7 pubmed publisher..Under the given conditions the hypothesis of pain relief and chronobiologic changes in patients with chronic spinal pain by a treatment with crystal singing bowls compared to placebo could not be confirmed. ..
- MicÃ³ V, DÃez Ricote L, Daimiel L. Nutrigenetics and Nutrimiromics of the Circadian System: The Time for Human Health. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:299 pubmed publisher..However, interventional studies (especially nutritional trials) that include chronotherapy are scarce. Given the importance of chronobiology in human health such studies are warranted in the near future. ..
- Cain S, Chalmers J, Ralph M. Circadian modulation of passive avoidance is not eliminated in arrhythmic hamsters with suprachiasmatic nucleus lesions. Behav Brain Res. 2012;230:288-90 pubmed publisher..SCN-lesions, verified by the loss of behavioral circadian rhythms, had no effect on the rhythmic expression. Therefore, time of day modulation of PA performance in the hamster does not depend on the SCN circadian clock. ..
- Bartol Munier I, Gourmelen S, Pevet P, Challet E. Combined effects of high-fat feeding and circadian desynchronization. Int J Obes (Lond). 2006;30:60-7 pubmed..Chronic desynchronization with low-fat diet impaired insulin regulation. Metabolic changes induced by the high-fat diet were not aggravated by chronic desynchronization. ..
- Mansour H, Monk T, Nimgaonkar V. Circadian genes and bipolar disorder. Ann Med. 2005;37:196-205 pubmed..Association studies that analyzed circadian genes in BD have been initiated and are reviewed. Other avenues for research are also discussed. ..
- Vodolazhskaia M, Kriuchkov N, Shekhovtsova K. [Auto-chronometric abnormalities in patients with various location of cerebral pathology]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2003;103:26-33 pubmed..These findings allow considering cerebral oscillator formations--hippocampus, hypothalamic region, epiphysis--as the structures involved directly in physiological mechanisms of autochronometric regulation. ..
- Eismann E, Lush E, Sephton S. Circadian effects in cancer-relevant psychoneuroendocrine and immune pathways. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2010;35:963-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, data from clinical, systemic, cellular, and molecular research suggest the circadian clock is a tumor suppressor under both biological and behavioral control. ..
- Reid K, Chang A, Zee P. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Med Clin North Am. 2004;88:631-51, viii pubmed
- Peres M, Sanchez del Rio M, Seabra M, Tufik S, Abucham J, Cipolla Neto J, et al. Hypothalamic involvement in chronic migraine. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2001;71:747-51 pubmed..These results support hypothalamic involvement in CM, shown by a chronobiologic dysregulation, and a possible hyperdopaminergic state in patients with CM. Insomnia might be an important variable in the study findings. ..