Summary: Layer of GRAY MATTER in the HYPOTHALAMUS that also forms part of the floor of the THIRD VENTRICLE and merges anteriorly into the infundibulum (see PITUITARY GLAND, POSTERIOR).
- Vivanco Allende A, García González M, González Jiménez D, Pérez Guirado A, Fernández I, Gómez Illán R. Precocious puberty produced by an osteolipoma of the tuber cinereum. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2012;25:1165-8 pubmed publisher..Osteolipoma of the tuber cinereum, which is the most commonly diagnosed at autopsy, has been reported as a cause of CPP...
- Yen S, Pan J. Progesterone advances the diurnal rhythm of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuronal activity and the prolactin surge in ovariectomized, estrogen-primed rats and in intact proestrous rats. Endocrinology. 1998;139:1602-9 pubmed..In conclusion, P4 may play a significant modulatory role on rhythmic changes of the TIDA neuronal activity and the PRL surge in the female rats. ..
- Otani H, Okumura A, Nagai K, Okumura N. Colocalization of a carnosine-splitting enzyme, tissue carnosinase (CN2)/cytosolic non-specific dipeptidase 2 (CNDP2), with histidine decarboxylase in the tuberomammillary nucleus of the hypothalamus. Neurosci Lett. 2008;445:166-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CN2 is highly expressed in the histaminergic neurons in the tuberomammillary nucleus, implying that it may supply histidine to histaminergic neurons for histamine synthesis. ..
- Rubio S, Begega A, Santin L, Arias J. Changes in the nucleolar organizer regions in the tuberomammillar region after dehydration. Arch Physiol Biochem. 1997;105:560-5 pubmed..Our results support the regulatory role of vasopressin secretion by SON through the histaminergic pathways arising from TM in rat dehydration processes. ..
- Chu A, Rorke L, Hood I. Lipoma of the tuber cinereum. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005;129:708-9 pubmed
- Kadri H, Mawla A. Variations of endoscopic ventricular anatomy in children suffering from hydrocephalus associated with myelomeningocele. Minim Invasive Neurosurg. 2004;47:339-41 pubmed..The myelomeningocele was treated prior to our surgical intervention. We have found that different endoscopic anatomies of the ventricles exist between patients. ..
- Kornreich L, Horev G, Blaser S, Daneman D, Kauli R, Grunebaum M. Central precocious puberty: evaluation by neuroimaging. Pediatr Radiol. 1995;25:7-11 pubmed..had normal examinations; 18 (11 girls, 7 boys) showed intracranial pathologies, including hamartoma of the tuber cinereum (8 cases), parenchymal loss (3 cases), hypothalamic-chiasmatic lesions (2 cases), lesions of the corpus ..
- Shaver S, Pang J, Wainman D, Wall K, Gross P. Morphology and function of capillary networks in subregions of the rat tuber cinereum. Cell Tissue Res. 1992;267:437-48 pubmedThe differentiated cytology, cytochemistry, and functions within subdivisions of the tuber cinereum prompted this morphometric and physiological investigation of capillaries in the medium eminence and arcuate nucleus of albino rats...
- Manzanares J, Wagner E, LaVigne S, Lookingland K, Moore K. Sexual differences in kappa opioid receptor-mediated regulation of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurons. Neuroendocrinology. 1992;55:301-7 pubmed
- Meddle S, Follett B. Photoperiodically driven changes in Fos expression within the basal tuberal hypothalamus and median eminence of Japanese quail. J Neurosci. 1997;17:8909-18 pubmed..The 36 hr paradigm increased both plasma LH and BtH activation...
- Moschopulos M, Becheanu G, Stamm B. Hypothalamic osteolipoma of the tuber cinereum. J Cell Mol Med. 2006;10:240-2 pubmed
- Morel G, Sosa Y, Bellini M, Carri N, Rodriguez S, Bohn M, et al. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor gene therapy ameliorates chronic hyperprolactinemia in senile rats. Neuroscience. 2010;167:946-53 pubmed publisher..Neither age nor GDNF induced significant changes in the number of NeuN and TH neurons. We conclude that transgenic GDNF ameliorates chronic hyperprolactinemia in aging female rats, probably by restoring TIDA neuron function. ..
- Horsburgh A, Matys T, Kirollos R, Massoud T. Tuber cinereum proximity to critical major arteries: a morphometric imaging analysis relevant to endoscopic third ventriculostomy. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2013;155:891-900 pubmed publisher..When the "safe zone" of the tuber cinereum (TC) is fenestrated, the basilar artery tip (BT) or its branches may be encountered below the third ..
- Wittig H, Kasper U, Warich Kirches M, Dietzmann K, Roessner A. Hypothalamic osteolipoma: a case report. Gen Diagn Pathol. 1997;142:361-4 pubmed..The recent literature is reviewed, and the two most current embryologic concepts of the development of intracranial lipomas are discussed. ..
- Schönrock B, Büsselberg D, Haas H. Properties of tuberomammillary histamine neurones and their response to galanin. Agents Actions. 1991;33:135-7 pubmed..They display a transient outward rectification and an anomalous inward rectification. Bath application of galanin (0.1 microM) reduced their firing rate significantly and hyperpolarized them slightly. ..
- Wang A, Barriger T, Wesolowski D. Intracranial gumma mimicking a tuber cinereum tumor. Comput Med Imaging Graph. 1991;15:57-60 pubmed..A focal enhancing mass was demonstrated involving the tuber cinereum. The mass was markedly reduced after the completion of a course of intravenous administration of penicillin G ..
- Lindley S, Gunnet J, Lookingland K, Moore K. Effects of alterations in the activity of tuberohypophysial dopaminergic neurons on the secretion of alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1988;188:282-6 pubmed
- Lee Y, Voogt J. Feedback effects of placental lactogens on prolactin levels and Fos-related antigen immunoreactivity of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurons in the arcuate nucleus during pregnancy in the rat. Endocrinology. 1999;140:2159-66 pubmed..Removal of the PL source elevates plasma PRL levels at all times during the second half of pregnancy and does not restore PRL surges. ..
- Aguila Mansilla N, Kedzierski W, Porter J. Testicular inhibition of tyrosine hydroxylase expression in tuberoinfundibular and nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons. Endocrinology. 1991;129:877-82 pubmed..The increase in TH mass is not associated with an increase in the amount of TH mRNA. It is suggested that castration results in increased translation of TH mRNA, but not transcription of the TH gene.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Jaworski R, Callahan P, Janik J. Immunoneutralization of beta-endorphin blocks prolactin release during suckling without affecting tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neural activity. Life Sci. 1997;61:1301-11 pubmed..These results indicate that beta-endorphin is involved in the prolactin secretory response to suckling but that inhibition of TIDA neuronal activity is not its mechanism of action. Other possible mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Ahmadi S, van Landeghem F, Blechschmidt C, Lieber K, Haberl E, Thomale U. Intratentorial osteochondrolipoma in a 9-year-old boy. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2009;3:386-91 pubmed publisher..Twenty-one osteolipomas have been described to date, usually located near the tuber cinereum or the corpus callosum...
- Hader C, Spreer J. [Syncope with transient paresis. Lipoma of the tuber cinereum]. Radiologe. 2006;46:1066-8 pubmed
- Barton A, Demarest K, Lookingland K, Moore K. A sex difference in the stimulatory afferent regulation of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuronal activity. Neuroendocrinology. 1989;49:361-6 pubmed..These afferent influences do not appear to be operational in the adult male rat since retrochiasmatic deafferentation did not reverse the castration-induced increase in the rate of DA synthesis in the median eminence of male rats. ..
- Burton E, Ball W, Crone K, Dolan L. Hamartoma of the tuber cinereum: a comparison of MR and CT findings in four cases. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1989;10:497-501 pubmedHamartoma of the tuber cinereum is a well-recognized cause of central precocious puberty. We report three patients with an isodense, nonenhancing mass within the interpeduncular cistern identified by CT...
- Nuesslein Hildesheim B, O Brien J, Ebling F, Maywood E, Hastings M. The circadian cycle of mPER clock gene products in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the siberian hamster encodes both daily and seasonal time. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:2856-64 pubmed..These results indicate that core elements of the circadian clockwork are sensitive to seasonal time, and that encoding and decoding of seasonal information may be mediated by the actions of these transcriptional modulators...
- Boto G, Esparza J, Munoz M, Hinojosa J, Munoz A. Hamartoma of the suprasellar cistern in a 5-year-old girl. Childs Nerv Syst. 1999;15:131-3 pubmed..Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) revealed a lesion without attachment to the tuber cinereum or the mamillary bodies. Total resection of the tumour was performed.
- Iannetti P, Chessa L, Raucci U, Basile L, Fantozzi L, Bozzao L. Gelastic epilepsy. A clinical contribution. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1992;31:467-70 pubmed..In three of the four cases reported here, the diagnoses were hamartoma of the tuber cinereum; lobar holoprosencephaly; and lissencephaly type I, grade 2...
- Nakamura S, Ohnishi K, Nishimura M, Suenaga T, Akiguchi I, Kimura J, et al. Large neurons in the tuberomammillary nucleus in patients with Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy. Neurology. 1996;46:1693-6 pubmed..In contrast, the number of large-sized neurons in the tuberomammillary nucleus in MSA patients was significantly decreased compared with controls. Thus, the central histaminergic neurons are affected in MSA and preserved in PD. ..
- Takeshita Y, Watanabe T, Sakata T, Munakata M, Ishibashi H, Akaike N. Histamine modulates high-voltage-activated calcium channels in neurons dissociated from the rat tuberomammillary nucleus. Neuroscience. 1998;87:797-805 pubmed..We concluded that histamine suppresses the N- and P-type Ca2+ channels in histaminergic neurons through an H3 receptor which is linked to a pertussis toxin-sensitive G-protein. ..
- Messager S, Hazlerigg D, Mercer J, Morgan P. Photoperiod differentially regulates the expression of Per1 and ICER in the pars tuberalis and the suprachiasmatic nucleus of the Siberian hamster. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:2865-70 pubmed..These data demonstrate that photoperiod-dependent amplitude modulation of Per1 and ICER gene expression in the PT is conserved across species, and reinforce the argument that this phenomenon is driven by melatonin. ..
- Fritsch M, Bauer M, Partsch C, Sippell W, Mehdorn H. Endocrine evaluation after endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV) in children. Childs Nerv Syst. 2007;23:627-31 pubmed..Main part of the procedure is the perforation of the third ventricle floor (tuber cinereum). This structure is part of the hypothalamic-pituitary neuronal network of cerebral endocrine regulation...
- Krawczuk Robak A, Szteyn S, Szatkowski E. Topography and cytoarchitectonics of small-cell nuclei of the tuber cinereum in Insectivora. Anat Anz. 1990;170:63-71 pubmedResults are presented of the comparative studies on location and cytoarchitectonics of the nuclei in tuber cinereum of hypothalamus in 3 insectivorous mammals: hedgehog, mole and common shrew...
- Kim J, Choi H, Nam H, Lee J, Heo J. Mechanism of tuberothalamic infarction. Eur J Neurol. 2008;15:1118-23 pubmed publisher..Isolated TTA infarctions are rare and mostly because of small vessel occlusion. Patients with coexisting infarctions outside TTA territory usually have an embolic source, predominantly vertebral artery atherosclerosis. ..
- Toni R, Lechan R. Neuroendocrine regulation of thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) in the tuberoinfundibular system. J Endocrinol Invest. 1993;16:715-53 pubmed..and I said that one (duct) [...] from the middle of the common cavity (third ventricle) descends [...] into the brain substance, and the end of this duct is [...] the sinus of the gland where the brain mucus is collected [...]. ..
- Mackenzie I, Girvin J, Lee D. Symptomatic osteolipoma of the tuber cinereum. Clin Neuropathol. 1996;15:60-2 pubmedIntracranial osteolipomas are rare lesions which occur in the region of the tuber cinereum. All cases reported to date have been incidental autopsy findings...
- Tsutsumi S, Ono H, Yasumoto Y. The tuber cinereum as a circumventricular organ: an anatomical study using magnetic resonance imaging. Surg Radiol Anat. 2017;39:747-751 pubmed publisherThe tuber cinereum (TC) comprises the hypothalamic gray matter that forms the anterior portion of the third ventricle floor...
- Mai L, Shieh K, Pan J. Circadian changes of serum prolactin levels and tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuron activities in ovariectomized rats treated with or without estrogen: the role of the suprachiasmatic nuclei. Neuroendocrinology. 1994;60:520-6 pubmed..The rhythm is regulated by the suprachiasmatic nuclei and may be amplified by estrogen for the induction of PRL surge. ..
- Arita J, Kojima Y, Kimura F. Changes in the function of tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neurons after long-term estradiol treatment in Fischer 344 rats. Neuroendocrinology. 1990;52:249-55 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Robben S, Oostdijk W, Drop S, Tanghe H, Vielvoye G, Meradji M. Idiopathic isosexual central precocious puberty: magnetic resonance findings in 30 patients. Br J Radiol. 1995;68:34-8 pubmed..individuals; (2) in four patients (13%) major structural abnormalities were found; three hamartomas of the tuber cinereum and one gliomatous process extending from the chiasm to the optic tract; and (3) the routine use of ..
- Bruninx G, Widelec J, Delcour C. Gelastic epilepsy and precocious puberty due to hypothalamic hamartoma. JBR-BTR. 2003;86:146-7 pubmed
- Pasqualini C, Bojda F, Gaudoux F, Guibert B, Leviel V, Teissier E, et al. Changes in tuberoinfundibular dopaminergic neuron activity during the rat estrous cycle in relation to the prolactin surge: alteration by a mammary carcinogen. Neuroendocrinology. 1988;48:320-7 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..