Genomes and Genes
secondary headache disorders
Summary: Conditions with HEADACHE symptom that can be attributed to a variety of causes including BRAIN VASCULAR DISORDERS; WOUNDS AND INJURIES; INFECTION; drug use or its withdrawal.
- Dermitzakis E, Georgiadis G, Rudolf J, Nikiforidou D, Kyriakidis P, Gravas I, et al. Headache patients in the emergency department of a Greek tertiary care hospital. J Headache Pain. 2010;11:123-8 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate shortcomings in the pre-hospital (primary care) management of headache patients in the Greek National Health System to an extent unreported so far. ..
- Debruyne F, Herroelen L. Migraine presenting as chronic facial pain. Acta Neurol Belg. 2009;109:235-7 pubmed..This is the anatomic basis of migraine pain presenting as referred pain to the second division of the trigeminal nerve. The atypical presentation of migraine pain can easily lead to inappropriate treatment regimens...
- Andrasik F, Grazzi L, Usai S, Buse D, Bussone G. Non-pharmacological approaches to treating chronic migraine with medication overuse. Neurol Sci. 2009;30 Suppl 1:S89-93 pubmed publisher..The final step involves behavioral intervention. Examples for accomplishing each step are provided. ..
- De Felice M, Porreca F. Opiate-induced persistent pronociceptive trigeminal neural adaptations: potential relevance to opiate-induced medication overuse headache. Cephalalgia. 2009;29:1277-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, such persistent neuroadaptive changes may be relevant to the processes that promote MOH. ..
- Andrasik F, Buse D, Grazzi L. Behavioral medicine for migraine and medication overuse headache. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2009;13:241-8 pubmed..Strategies are provided for enhancing adherence and motivation, as well as facilitating medical communication. ..
- Prakash S, Shah N, Soni R. Secondary hemicrania continua: Case reports and a literature review. J Neurol Sci. 2009;280:29-34 pubmed publisher..Angiography and CT chest are two other investigations that may be supplemented in patients with high risk for head/neck vessel pathology and carcinoma lung. ..
- Mallick A, Sharples P, Calvert S, Jones R, Leary M, Lux A, et al. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis: a case series including thrombolysis. Arch Dis Child. 2009;94:790-4 pubmed publisher..Although heparin is the mainstay of treatment, thrombolysis may reverse deterioration as seen in three cases in this series. However, there is insufficient evidence to recommend the routine use of thrombolysis at present. ..
- Chiapparini L, Grazzi L, Ferraro S, Mandelli M, Usai S, Andrasik F, et al. Functional-MRI evaluation of pain processing in chronic migraine with medication overuse. Neurol Sci. 2009;30 Suppl 1:S71-4 pubmed publisher..The activated areas are congruent with some data of the literature and the data emerged are discussed according to preceding reports. ..
- Monteith T, Oshinsky M. Tension-type headache with medication overuse: pathophysiology and clinical implications. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2009;13:463-9 pubmed..Because TTH with MOH carries the worst prognosis, more clinical studies focusing on the complex interaction and treatments of TTH and MOH are needed. ..
- Cevoli S, Marzocchi N, Capellari S, Scapoli C, Pierangeli G, Grimaldi D, et al. Lack of association between five serotonin metabolism-related genes and medication overuse headache. J Headache Pain. 2010;11:53-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our studydoes not provide evidence that the 5HTT, 5-HT1A, 5HT1B,5HT2A and 5HT6 gene polymorphisms play a role in the genetic predisposition to MOH. ..
- Wilne S, Koller K, Collier J, Kennedy C, Grundy R, Walker D. The diagnosis of brain tumours in children: a guideline to assist healthcare professionals in the assessment of children who may have a brain tumour. Arch Dis Child. 2010;95:534-9 pubmed publisher..Implementation of this guideline may support clinicians in the identification and timely imaging of children with brain tumours. This may reduce the morbidity currently experienced by many children with brain tumours. ..
- Grazzi L, Andrasik F, Usai S, Bussone G. Treatment of chronic migraine with medication overuse: is drug withdrawal crucial?. Neurol Sci. 2009;30 Suppl 1:S85-8 pubmed publisher..The necessity of withdrawal performed by different treatment schedules, outcomes, and the long-term durability of treatment are discussed. ..
- Fontanillas N, Colas R, Muñoz P, Oterino A, Pascual J. Long-term evolution of chronic daily headache with medication overuse in the general population. Headache. 2010;50:981-8 pubmed publisher..This justifies public health interventions that should include recommendations on a judicious use of symptomatic medications together with an early use of preventatives. ..
- Tanganelli P. Secondary headaches in the elderly. Neurol Sci. 2010;31 Suppl 1:S73-6 pubmed publisher..A broad differential diagnosis and unique diagnostic considerations must be considered. Secondary headache disorders reflect underlying organic diseases such as giant cell arteritis, intracranial mass lesion, ..
- De Felice M, Ossipov M, Wang R, Lai J, Chichorro J, Meng I, et al. Triptan-induced latent sensitization: a possible basis for medication overuse headache. Ann Neurol. 2010;67:325-37 pubmed publisher..The latent sensitization could provide a mechanistic basis for the transformation of migraine to medication overuse headache. ..
- Tepper S, Tepper D. Breaking the cycle of medication overuse headache. Cleve Clin J Med. 2010;77:236-42 pubmed publisher..Breaking the cycle involves weaning the patient from the overused medications, setting up a preventive regimen, and setting strict limits on the use of medications to relieve acute symptoms. ..
- Haag G. Headache and medication overuse: are clinical case series appropriate to reveal differential risks of different medications?. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2010;9:397-406 pubmed publisher..Thus, the repeated claims of a differential risk of different drugs and drug groups are simply not scientifically sound. ..
- Evers S, Marziniak M. Clinical features, pathophysiology, and treatment of medication-overuse headache. Lancet Neurol. 2010;9:391-401 pubmed publisher..Withdrawal symptoms can be treated with steroids; however, not all data support this concept. As MOH can severely affect the quality of life of patients, it needs to be recognised early to enable appropriate treatment to be initiated. ..
- Trucco M, Meineri P, Ruiz L, Gionco M. Medication overuse headache: withdrawal and prophylactic therapeutic regimen. Headache. 2010;50:989-97 pubmed publisher..The protocol was generally effective, safe, and well-tolerated. The results tend to remain stable with time, and seem to be encouraging about long-term use of this therapeutic protocol on a larger number of patients suffering from MOH. ..
- Sances G, Galli F, Anastasi S, Ghiotto N, De Giorgio G, Guidetti V, et al. Medication-overuse headache and personality: a controlled study by means of the MMPI-2. Headache. 2010;50:198-209 pubmed publisher..The clinical role of MMPI-2 in discriminating MOH patients with dependency from drugs is discussed, in order to implement a complete tests' battery for headache patients' assessment. ..
- Eghwrudjakpor P, Essien A. Disorders presenting with headache as the sole symptom. Niger J Clin Pract. 2009;12:461-2 pubmed..Recognition of these conditions requires a standardised diagnostic approach to history and examination, wherein the patient's history alerts the physician while the physical examination provides support for the diagnosis. ..
- Grazzi L, Usai S, Prunesti A, Bussone G, Andrasik F. Behavioral plus pharmacological treatment versus pharmacological treatment only for chronic migraine with medication overuse after day-hospital withdrawal. Neurol Sci. 2009;30 Suppl 1:S117-9 pubmed publisher..In this study, a clinical experience where day-hospital withdrawal is followed by pharmacological treatment and on the other side pharmacological treatment is combined with behavioral approach is discussed. ..
- Sancisi E, Rausa M, Zanigni S, Cevoli S, Pala A, Nicodemo M, et al. Self-help group and medication overuse headache: preliminary data. Neurol Sci. 2009;30:459-63 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report on a self-help group for patients with MOH. Joining a self-help group can help patients develop positive attitudes to managing pain. ..
- Willer L, Jensen R, Juhler M. Medication overuse as a cause of chronic headache in shunted hydrocephalus patients. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2010;81:1261-4 pubmed publisher..By reducing their analgesic intake, it is possible to reduce headaches, the number of surgical interventions and hospital contacts. Hopefully this will raise awareness and lead to further research on the subject. ..
- Bigal M, Lipton R. Overuse of acute migraine medications and migraine chronification. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2009;13:301-7 pubmed..While we await randomized trials, these findings should inform the choice of acute migraine treatments with the goal of reducing the risk of migraine progression to chronic migraine. ..
- Villani V, Di Stani F, Vanacore N, Scattoni L, Cerbo R, Bruti G. The "repeater" phenomenon in migraine patients: a clinical and psychometric study. Headache. 2010;50:348-56 pubmed publisher..From a clinical point of view, these psychometric findings may not only shed light on the epidemiology of migraine in the ED, but may also help to design a specific therapeutic protocol for this subgroup of migraine patients. ..
- Usai S, Grazzi L, D Amico D, Andrasik F, Bussone G. Psychological variables in chronic migraine with medication overuse before and after inpatient withdrawal: results at 1-year follow-up. Neurol Sci. 2009;30 Suppl 1:S125-7 pubmed publisher..The changes of clinical indexes and of psychological parameters are discussed and analyzed in order to address the most adequate therapeutic strategy for this kind of patients. ..