Summary: Research that involves the application of the behavioral and social sciences to the study of the actions or reactions of persons or animals in response to external or internal stimuli. (from American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed)
- Wolf M, Weissing F. An explanatory framework for adaptive personality differences. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2010;365:3959-68 pubmed publisher..Although state differences are important, we also discuss how social conventions and social signalling can give rise to adaptive personality differences in the absence of state differences. ..
- Mason W, Suri S. Conducting behavioral research on Amazon's Mechanical Turk. Behav Res Methods. 2012;44:1-23 pubmed publisher..The central purpose of this article is to demonstrate how to use this Web site for conducting behavioral research and to lower the barrier to entry for researchers who could benefit from this platform...
- Baranowski T. Advances in basic behavioral research will make the most important contributions to effective dietary change programs at this time. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006;106:808-11 pubmed
- Errijgers V, Van Dam D, Gantois I, Van Ginneken C, Grossman A, D Hooge R, et al. FVB.129P2-Pde6b(+) Tyr(c-ch)/Ant, a sighted variant of the FVB/N mouse strain suitable for behavioral analysis. Genes Brain Behav. 2007;6:552-7 pubmed..129P2-Pde6b(+) Tyr(c-ch)/Ant mice, for which we propose the name FVBS/Ant, demonstrated a clear visual evoked potential in the presence of normal eye histology and improved performance in the Morris water maze test. ..
- Giles Corti B, Timperio A, Bull F, Pikora T. Understanding physical activity environmental correlates: increased specificity for ecological models. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2005;33:175-81 pubmed..This selective review examines whether the predictive capacity of these models could be improved if behavior-specific measures of the environment were used to predict context-specific behaviors. ..
- Bell R, Marshall D. The construct of food involvement in behavioral research: scale development and validation. Appetite. 2003;40:235-44 pubmed..These findings suggest that food involvement, as measured by the Food Involvement Scale, may be an important mediator to consider when undertaking research with food and food habits. ..
- Chollette V, Crowley K. National Cancer Institute's Small Grants Program for behavioral research in cancer control boosts careers for new investigators and fulfills NIH research priorities. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007;16:2459-63 pubmedIn 1998, the NIH's National Cancer Institute created the Behavioral Research Program (BRP) within the Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences...
- Kalagher H. The effects of perceptual priming on 4-year-olds' haptic-to-visual cross-modal transfer. Perception. 2013;42:1063-74 pubmed..Haptic exploration patterns during the cross-modal transfer task are discussed and the detailed analyses provide a unique contribution to our understanding of the development of haptic exploratory procedures. ..
- Murray G, Suto M, Hole R, Hale S, Amari E, Michalak E. Self-management strategies used by 'high functioning' individuals with bipolar disorder: from research to clinical practice. Clin Psychol Psychother. 2011;18:95-109 pubmed publisher..The present findings also serve to remind the clinician of significant individual differences in the personal meaning and concrete application of superficially similar strategies. ..
- Fairchild A, Abara W, Gottschall A, Tein J, Prinz R. Improving Our Ability to Evaluate Underlying Mechanisms of Behavioral Onset and Other Event Occurrence Outcomes: A Discrete-Time Survival Mediation Model. Eval Health Prof. 2015;38:315-42 pubmed publisher..The model is applied to an existing longitudinal data set to demonstrate its use, and programming code is provided to facilitate its implementation. ..
- de Figueiredo J, Gostoli S. Culture and demoralization in psychotherapy. Adv Psychosom Med. 2013;33:75-87 pubmed publisher..Future research should identify the gaps in knowledge on the effectiveness of cultural psychotherapy at reversing or preventing demoralization. ..
- Silvia P, Kwapil T, Walsh M, Myin Germeys I. Planned missing-data designs in experience-sampling research: Monte Carlo simulations of efficient designs for assessing within-person constructs. Behav Res Methods. 2014;46:41-54 pubmed publisher..With realistic sample sizes, even designs with extensive missingness performed well, so these methods are promising additions to an experience-sampler's toolbox. ..
- Johnson S, Wittenborn A. New research findings on emotionally focused therapy: introduction to special section. J Marital Fam Ther. 2012;38 Suppl 1:18-22 pubmed publisher..Together, these three studies provide valuable lessons on how to deepen our knowledge of the application of EFT for different populations and therapists. ..
- Weisz V, Rios M, Argibay P. Episodic-like memory: new perspectives from a behavioral test in rats. J Integr Neurosci. 2012;11:1-15 pubmed..However, if used before and after a treatment for a same subject, we suggest that the protocol presented in this work can be a useful behavioral test for the evaluation of episodic-like memory in rats in terms of a variable task demand. ..
- McLachlan G. Commentary on Steinley and Brusco (2011): recommendations and cautions. Psychol Methods. 2011;16:80-1; discussion 89-92 pubmed publisher..In this commentary, I pay particular attention to this link and to the use of normal mixture models with arbitrary component-covariance matrices. ..
- Patton S, Williams L, Eder S, Crawford M, Dolan L, Powers S. Use of continuous glucose monitoring in young children with type 1 diabetes: implications for behavioral research. Pediatr Diabetes. 2011;12:18-24 pubmed publisher..CGM may be particularly useful in young children who often experience more glucose variability. Data obtained via CGM are richer and more detailed than traditional SMBG data and allow for analyses to link blood glucose with behavior. ..
- Behrend T, Sharek D, Meade A, Wiebe E. The viability of crowdsourcing for survey research. Behav Res Methods. 2011;43:800-13 pubmed publisher..as attractive alternatives to university participant pools for the purposes of collecting survey data for behavioral research. However, prior research has not provided a thorough examination of crowdsourced data for organizational ..
- Pinder R, Davids K, Renshaw I, Araujo D. Representative learning design and functionality of research and practice in sport. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2011;33:146-55 pubmed
- Yarrow K, Jahn N, Durant S, Arnold D. Shifts of criteria or neural timing? The assumptions underlying timing perception studies. Conscious Cogn. 2011;20:1518-31 pubmed publisher..Our analyses expose important ambiguities concerning the interpretation of simultaneity judgement data, which have hitherto been underappreciated. ..
- Bartlett S, Rapp J, Henrickson M. Detecting false positives in multielement designs: implications for brief assessments. Behav Modif. 2011;35:531-52 pubmed publisher..Results showed that application of new rules decreased false positives to less than 5% for all of the graphs except for those with two data paths and two data points per data path. Implications for brief assessments are discussed. ..
- Kirmayer L, Ban L. Cultural psychiatry: research strategies and future directions. Adv Psychosom Med. 2013;33:97-114 pubmed publisher..The conclusion considers the implications of the emerging perspectives from cultural neuroscience for psychiatric theory and practice. ..
- Filliter J, Glover J, McMullen P, Salmon J, Johnson S. The DalHouses: 100 new photographs of houses with ratings of typicality, familiarity, and degree of similarity to faces. Behav Res Methods. 2016;48:178-83 pubmed publisher..The photographs of all 100 houses and their ratings data can be obtained at http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1279430. ..
- Fairchild A, MacKinnon D, Taborga M, Taylor A. R2 effect-size measures for mediation analysis. Behav Res Methods. 2009;41:486-98 pubmed publisher..SAS and SPSS computer code are also provided for researchers to compute the measures in their own data. ..
- Raizada R, Tsao F, Liu H, Kuhl P. Quantifying the adequacy of neural representations for a cross-language phonetic discrimination task: prediction of individual differences. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:1-12 pubmed publisher..This opens up a new approach for identifying neural representations and for quantifying their task suitability. ..
- Furtak S, Cho C, Kerr K, Barredo J, Alleyne J, Patterson Y, et al. The Floor Projection Maze: A novel behavioral apparatus for presenting visual stimuli to rats. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;181:82-8 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that rats can rapidly acquire visual tasks when stimuli are presented horizontally on the floor, suggesting that this novel behavioral apparatus will provide a powerful behavioral paradigm in the future. ..
- Casarrubea M, Sorbera F, Crescimanno G. Multivariate data handling in the study of rat behavior: an integrated approach. Behav Res Methods. 2009;41:772-81 pubmed publisher..We suggest that T-pattern analysis, integrated with other multivariate approaches, can provide a more detailed and complete rat behavior representation, very different from classical quantitative approaches. ..
- Wagenmakers E, Wetzels R, Borsboom D, van der Maas H. Why psychologists must change the way they analyze their data: the case of psi: comment on Bem (2011). J Pers Soc Psychol. 2011;100:426-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Bem's p values do not indicate evidence in favor of precognition; instead, they indicate that experimental psychologists need to change the way they conduct their experiments and analyze their data. ..
- Leszko M, Elleman L, Bastarache E, Graham E, Mroczek D. Future Directions in the Study of Personality in Adulthood and Older Age. Gerontology. 2016;62:210-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that more research on factors predicting personality change is needed and we provide suggestions on how research on personality change can progress. ..
- Salthouse T. Is flanker-based inhibition related to age? Identifying specific influences of individual differences on neurocognitive variables. Brain Cogn. 2010;73:51-61 pubmed publisher..The method is demonstrated in analyses of data from 10 cognitive tasks in two independent studies, including two flanker tasks which are often used to assess aspects of inhibition. ..
- Schumm W. Evidence of pro-homosexual bias in social science: citation rates and research on lesbian parenting. Psychol Rep. 2010;106:374-80 pubmed..The citation rate differences were statistically significant. Implications for this possible evidence of pro-homosexual bias in the social sciences are discussed. ..
- Stafford J, Lattal K. Direct comparisons of the size and persistence of anisomycin-induced consolidation and reconsolidation deficits. Learn Mem. 2009;16:494-503 pubmed publisher..These experiments showed that when experiences and performance are matched prior to anisomycin injections, consolidation deficits are generally larger and more persistent compared to reconsolidation deficits. ..
- Broderick P, Jennings P. Mindfulness for adolescents: a promising approach to supporting emotion regulation and preventing risky behavior. New Dir Youth Dev. 2012;2012:111-26, 11 pubmed publisher..The authors present available data and describe one potentially effective program for adolescent mindfulness: Learning to BREATHE. ..
- Cognato G, Bortolotto J, Blazina A, Christoff R, Lara D, Vianna M, et al. Y-Maze memory task in zebrafish (Danio rerio): the role of glutamatergic and cholinergic systems on the acquisition and consolidation periods. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2012;98:321-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results highlight the implication of the glutamatergic and cholinergic systems in the memory of zebrafish. ..
- Moons C, Breugelmans S, Cassiman N, Kalmar I, Peremans K, Hermans K, et al. The effect of different working definitions on behavioral research involving stereotypies in Mongolian gerbils (Meriones unguiculatus). J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2012;51:170-6 pubmed..6% consisted of digging only, and 3.3% consisted of bar gnawing only. Working definitions that neglect combined stereotypies can result in considerable underestimation of stereotypic behavior in Mongolian gerbils. ..
- Naumann A, Wechsung I, Krems J. How to support learning from multiple hypertext sources. Behav Res Methods. 2009;41:639-46 pubmed publisher..No effect was shown for the type of texts available. ..
- Huseman K. Improving code blue response through the use of simulation. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2012;28:120-4 pubmed publisher..The response times were measured for an additional 3-month period to assess if the improvement was sustained. ..
- Wagner J, Tennen H, Wolpert H. Continuous glucose monitoring: a review for behavioral researchers. Psychosom Med. 2012;74:356-65 pubmed publisher..We discuss the challenges involved in using CGM in behavioral research. We then present a broad overview of CGM in behavioral research, including data from ours and others' ..
- Watters J, Margulis S, Atsalis S. Behavioral monitoring in zoos and aquariums: a tool for guiding husbandry and directing research. Zoo Biol. 2009;28:35-48 pubmed publisher..We argue that the benefits of such a program, primarily increased detection of rising or potential problems, far outweigh the minor costs of implementation...
- Klein D, Kotov R, Bufferd S. Personality and depression: explanatory models and review of the evidence. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2011;7:269-95 pubmed publisher..Implications for prevention and prediction of treatment response are discussed, as well as specific considerations to guide future research on the relation between personality and depression. ..
- Vandekerckhove J, Tuerlinckx F, Lee M. Hierarchical diffusion models for two-choice response times. Psychol Methods. 2011;16:44-62 pubmed publisher..Among the many novel models this statistical framework provides are a multilevel diffusion model, regression diffusion models, and a large family of explanatory diffusion models. We provide examples and the necessary computer code. ..
- Allison S, Bauermeister J, Bull S, Lightfoot M, Mustanski B, Shegog R, et al. The intersection of youth, technology, and new media with sexual health: moving the research agenda forward. J Adolesc Health. 2012;51:207-12 pubmed publisher..This article summarizes the meeting proceedings, highlights key points, offers recommendations, and outlines future directions. ..
- Olmos R, León J, Jorge Botana G, Escudero I. New algorithms assessing short summaries in expository texts using latent semantic analysis. Behav Res Methods. 2009;41:944-50 pubmed publisher..The semantic common network algorithm also showed promising results. ..
- Ihlen E. Multifractal analyses of response time series: a comparative study. Behav Res Methods. 2013;45:928-45 pubmed publisher..The summary of pros and cons of the seven multifractal analyses provides a guideline for the choice of multifractal analyses of response time series and other behavioral variables. ..
- Frierson G, Morrow J, Vidales A. Successful minority recruitment and adherence in physical activity Internet-based research: the WIN study. J Natl Med Assoc. 2012;104:544-54 pubmed..The theoretically based practice phase techniques were successful in re-engaging noncompliant participants. Strategies for minority enrollment and compliance are evaluated. ..
- Rothman A, Klein W, Cameron L. Advancing innovations in social/personality psychology and health: opportunities and challenges. Health Psychol. 2013;32:602-8 pubmed publisher..However, to capitalize on this opportunity, investigators need to commit to cultivating a culture of scientific activity that prioritizes the engagement of theory and practice-the pursuit of both understanding and use. ..
- O Brien M, Clark D. Unsolicited written narratives as a methodological genre in terminal illness: challenges and limitations. Qual Health Res. 2012;22:274-84 pubmed publisher..We encountered and sought to overcome a number of methodological and ethical challenges, which is our focus here. ..
- Clay Warner J, McMahon Howard J. Rape reporting: "Classic Rape" and the behavior of law. Violence Vict. 2009;24:723-43 pubmed..Overall, these findings lend greater support to the Classic Rape perspective than to Black's model. ..
- Pisu C, Pira L, Pani L. Quetiapine anxiolytic-like effect in the Vogel conflict test is serotonin dependent. Behav Pharmacol. 2010;21:649-53 pubmed publisher..1?mg/kg, subcutaneously) might prevent such an effect. Our results show that 10?mg/kg quetiapine exhibits an anxiolytic effect, that is, at least in part, 5HT1A-mediated, because it is completely eliminated by WAY100635. ..
- Laures Gore J, DuBay M, Duff M, Buchanan T. Identifying behavioral measures of stress in individuals with aphasia. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2010;53:1394-400 pubmed publisher..The control group did not demonstrate this relation. Neither group demonstrated a relation between salivary cortisol reactivity and EF. WP in individuals with aphasia holds potential as a behavioral index of stress in this population. ..