Summary: The branch of physics which deals with the motions of material bodies, including kinematics, dynamics, and statics. When the laws of mechanics are applied to living structures, as to the locomotor system, it is referred to as BIOMECHANICAL PHENOMENA. (From Dorland, 28th ed)
- Fedosov D, Caswell B, Karniadakis G. A multiscale red blood cell model with accurate mechanics, rheology, and dynamics. Biophys J. 2010;98:2215-25 pubmed publisher..We present a multiscale RBC model that is able to predict RBC mechanics, rheology, and dynamics in agreement with experiments...
- Ingber L, Nunez P. Neocortical dynamics at multiple scales: EEG standing waves, statistical mechanics, and physical analogs. Math Biosci. 2011;229:160-73 pubmed publisher..A statistical mechanics of neocortical interactions (SMNI) calculates oscillatory behavior consistent with typical EEG, within columns, ..
- Sharma D, Perisic O, Peng Q, Cao Y, Lam C, Lu H, et al. Single-molecule force spectroscopy reveals a mechanically stable protein fold and the rational tuning of its mechanical stability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:9278-83 pubmed
- Forman J, Clarke J. Mechanical unfolding of proteins: insights into biology, structure and folding. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2007;17:58-66 pubmed..Finally, recent technological developments offer exciting new avenues for experimental studies. ..
- Kolahi K, Mofrad M. Molecular mechanics of filamin's rod domain. Biophys J. 2008;94:1075-83 pubmed..Actin-binding proteins, e.g., filamin, can naturally contribute to the mechanics and function of the actin cytoskeleton...
- Piechocka I, Bacabac R, Potters M, MacKintosh F, Koenderink G. Structural hierarchy governs fibrin gel mechanics. Biophys J. 2010;98:2281-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in contrast with other biopolymers, fibrin fibers intrinsically stiffen when stretched. The resulting hierarchy of elastic regimes explains the incredible resilience of fibrin clots against large deformations. ..
- Baumgart T, Capraro B, Zhu C, Das S. Thermodynamics and mechanics of membrane curvature generation and sensing by proteins and lipids. Annu Rev Phys Chem. 2011;62:483-506 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss relatively simple thermodynamic/mechanical models that allow quantitative interpretation of experimental observations. ..
- Allinger N. Understanding molecular structure from molecular mechanics. J Comput Aided Mol Des. 2011;25:295-316 pubmed publisherMolecular mechanics gives us a well known model of molecular structure. It is less widely recognized that valence bond theory gives us structures which offer a direct interpretation of molecular mechanics formulations and parameters...
- Kabla A, Mahadevan L. Nonlinear mechanics of soft fibrous networks. J R Soc Interface. 2007;4:99-106 pubmed..A simple microscopic model allows us to explain these features of our observations, and provides us with a baseline framework to understand active biomechanical networks. ..
- Lee S, Aadalen K, Malaviya P, Lorenz E, Hayden J, Farr J, et al. Tibiofemoral contact mechanics after serial medial meniscectomies in the human cadaveric knee. Am J Sports Med. 2006;34:1334-44 pubmedThere is no consensus regarding the extent of meniscectomy leading to deleterious effects on tibiofemoral contact mechanics. The meniscus aids in optimizing tibiofemoral contact mechanics, increasing contact area, and decreasing contact ..
- Ivanov V, Zeng Y, Zocchi G. Statistical mechanics of base stacking and pairing in DNA melting. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2004;70:051907 pubmedWe propose a statistical mechanics model for DNA melting in which base stacking and pairing are explicitly introduced as distinct degrees of freedom...
- Weber I, Harrison R. Molecular mechanics calculations on Rous sarcoma virus protease with peptide substrates. Protein Sci. 1997;6:2365-74 pubmed..56 for all substrates. These results are compared to those from similar calculations on HIV-1 protease and discussed in relation to the rate-limiting steps in the catalytic mechanism and the entropic contributions. ..
- Ghosal S. Fluid mechanics of electroosmotic flow and its effect on band broadening in capillary electrophoresis. Electrophoresis. 2004;25:214-28 pubmed..In this paper, the basic facts about EOF are reviewed from the perspective of fluid mechanics and its effect on separations in free solution capillary zone electrophoresis is discussed in the light of ..
- Qin Q, Swain M. A micro-mechanics model of dentin mechanical properties. Biomaterials. 2004;25:5081-90 pubmedApplication of a micro-mechanics cell model to dentin composites for determination of their effective mechanical properties is discussed in this paper...
- Alonso C, Alig T, Yoon J, Bringezu F, Warriner H, Zasadzinski J. More than a monolayer: relating lung surfactant structure and mechanics to composition. Biophys J. 2004;87:4188-202 pubmed..The high viscosity may lead to high monolayer collapse pressures, help prevent atelectasis, and minimize the flow of lung surfactant out of the alveoli due to surface tension gradients. ..
- Bozkaya D, Muftu S. Mechanics of the taper integrated screwed-in (TIS) abutments used in dental implants. J Biomech. 2005;38:87-97 pubmed..tightening and loosening torque values by combining the equations related to the tapered interface with screw mechanics equations...
- Wilson D, Moses J, Zilberfarb J, Hayes W. Mechanics of coracoacromial ligament transfer augmentation for acromioclavicular joint injuries. J Biomech. 2005;38:615-9 pubmed..107). We anticipate that, when surgery is indicated for treating acromioclavicular joint injury, an augmented Weaver-Dunn reconstruction will yield a joint that is less painful, more functional and less likely to require revision...
- Ermilov S, Murdock D, El Daye D, Brownell W, Anvari B. Effects of salicylate on plasma membrane mechanics. J Neurophysiol. 2005;94:2105-10 pubmed..We used optical tweezers to study the effects of Sal on the mechanics of the cell plasma membrane...
- Edmondson K, Denney W, Diamond S. Neutrophil-bead collision assay: pharmacologically induced changes in membrane mechanics regulate the PSGL-1/P-selectin adhesion lifetime. Biophys J. 2005;89:3603-14 pubmed..Membrane tether growth can be enhanced or reduced pharmacologically with consequent effects on PSGL-1/P-selectin lifetimes. ..
- Strogatz S, Abrams D, McRobie A, Eckhardt B, Ott E. Theoretical mechanics: crowd synchrony on the Millennium Bridge. Nature. 2005;438:43-4 pubmed..Our approach should help engineers to estimate the damping needed to stabilize other exceptionally crowded footbridges against synchronous lateral excitation by pedestrians. ..
- Zobeck T, Van Pelt R. Wind-induced dust generation and transport mechanics on a bare agricultural field. J Hazard Mater. 2006;132:26-38 pubmed..established by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, information on dust generation and transport mechanics is needed to determine the particulate hazard of dust sources...
- Jensen W, Yoshida K, Hofmann U. In-vivo implant mechanics of flexible, silicon-based ACREO microelectrode arrays in rat cerebral cortex. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2006;53:934-40 pubmed..The objective of the present work was to investigate the in vivo implant mechanics of flexible, silicon-based ACREO microelectrode arrays recently developed by the VSAMUEL consortium (European ..
- Egolf D. Equilibrium regained: from nonequilibrium chaos to statistical mechanics. Science. 2000;287:101-4 pubmed..such as Gibbs distributions and detailed balance are recovered at these scales, which suggests that the macroscopic behavior of some far-from-equilibrium systems might be understood in terms of equilibrium statistical mechanics.
- Lionnet T, Dawid A, Bigot S, Barre F, Saleh O, Heslot F, et al. DNA mechanics as a tool to probe helicase and translocase activity. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:4232-44 pubmed..We then discuss experiments on two dsDNA translocases: the RuvAB motor studied on its natural substrate, the Holliday junction, and the chromosome-segregation motor FtsK, showing its unusual coupling to DNA supercoiling. ..
- Hui C, Glassmaker N, Tang T, Jagota A. Design of biomimetic fibrillar interfaces: 2. Mechanics of enhanced adhesion. J R Soc Interface. 2004;1:35-48 pubmed..We obtain the practical work of adhesion for an idealized fibrillated interface under equal load sharing. We then analyse the peeling of a fibrillar surface from a rigid substrate and establish a criterion for ELS. ..
- West D, Brockwell D, Paci E. Prediction of the translocation kinetics of a protein from its mechanical properties. Biophys J. 2006;91:L51-3 pubmed
- Cailliez F, Lavery R. Cadherin mechanics and complexation: the importance of calcium binding. Biophys J. 2005;89:3895-903 pubmed..Here again, it is shown that the presence of calcium is an important factor in both rigidifying and stabilizing the complex. ..
- Carpinteri A, Pugno N. Are scaling laws on strength of solids related to mechanics or to geometry?. Nat Mater. 2005;4:421-3 pubmed..In spite of the prevailing view, which considers mechanics as the real cause of such effects, here, we propose a different argument, purely based on geometry...
- Alemdaroglu F, Zhuang W, Zöphel L, Wang J, Berger R, Rabe J, et al. Generation of multiblock copolymers by PCR: synthesis, visualization and nanomechanical properties. Nano Lett. 2009;9:3658-62 pubmed publisher..Upon blowing circular topologies, the DNA and the organic polymer chain have been extended and the contours of the three blocks could thereby be imaged separately. ..
- Donovan J, Kudla I, Holness D. Hand dermatitis in auto mechanics and machinists. Dermatitis. 2007;18:143-9 pubmedAuto mechanics and machinists presenting with suspected allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) have traditionally been patch-tested with a standard screening tray and a specialty tray such as the Oil and Cooling Fluid Series...
- Dulekgurgen E, Artan N, Orhon D, Wilderer P. How does shear affect aggregation in granular sludge sequencing batch reactors? Relations between shear, hydrophobicity, and extracellular polymeric substances. Water Sci Technol. 2008;58:267-76 pubmed publisher..A direct correlation was also found between %hydrophobicity and EPS-composition expressed as ExoPN/ExoPS. ..
- Henry J, Simonet M, Pandit A, Neuenschwander P. Characterization of a slowly degrading biodegradable polyester-urethane for tissue engineering scaffolds. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2007;82:669-79 pubmed..The summation of these results suggests that this polyester-urethane has the potential for tissue engineering applications. ..
- Yoon H, Woo H, Choi M, Suh K, Char K. Face selection in one-step bending of Janus nanopillars. Langmuir. 2010;26:9198-201 pubmed publisher..The degree of bending increased with the decrease in pillar diameter in the range of 360-800 nm for a fixed height of 1 microm. ..
- Ferrando Piera P, Gutiérrez Colón Plana M, Paleo Cageao P, de la Flor López S, Ferrando Piera F. Distortions and gender-related differences in the perception of mechanical engineering in high school students. Psicothema. 2013;25:494-9 pubmed publisher..In general terms, the results agreed with our expectations. However, no significant gender differences were found. The implications of the results for future improvements are discussed. ..
- Harnagea C, Pignolet A, Alexe M, Hesse D. Higher-order electromechanical response of thin films by contact resonance piezoresponse force microscopy. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2006;53:2309-22 pubmed..Our results are of crucial importance for the study of ferroelectric and electromechanical properties of nanostructures. ..
- Gupta S, Webster T, Sinha A. Evolution of PVA gels prepared without crosslinking agents as a cell adhesive surface. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2011;22:1763-72 pubmed publisher..In this manner, this study suggests that transparent Poly (vinyl alcohol) hydrogels prepared by the freeze thaw method described here should be further studied for numerous tissue engineering applications. ..
- Liu L, Liu C, Fishman M, Hicks K. Composite films from pectin and fish skin gelatin or soybean flour protein. J Agric Food Chem. 2007;55:2349-55 pubmed..Therefore, the films are considered to have potential applications as packaging or coating materials for food or drug industries. ..
- Papadimitropoulos A, Rovithakis G, Parisini T. Fault detection in mechanical systems with friction phenomena: an online neural approximation approach. IEEE Trans Neural Netw. 2007;18:1067-82 pubmed..Extensive simulation results showing the effectiveness of the proposed methodology are provided, including a real case study on an industrial actuator. ..
- Zhang J, Lang H, Huber F, Bietsch A, Grange W, Certa U, et al. Rapid and label-free nanomechanical detection of biomarker transcripts in human RNA. Nat Nanotechnol. 2006;1:214-20 pubmed publisher..We foresee cantilever arrays being used as a tool to evaluate treatment response efficacy for personalized medical diagnostics. ..
- Serbetci K, Kulacoglu H, Devay A, Hasirci N. Effects of resterilization on mechanical properties of polypropylene meshes. Am J Surg. 2007;194:375-9 pubmed..However, if re-use of the open packages is needed, ethylene oxide sterilization is preferred over autoclave sterilization. If ethylene oxide sterilization is not available then 1 cycle of resterilization with an autoclave can be used. ..
- Darvish K, Shafieian M, Rehman S. The effect of tip geometry on the mechanical performance of unused and reprocessed orthopaedic drill bits. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2009;223:625-35 pubmed..The mechanical performance of drill bits is correlated largely to the chisel edge length. A larger chisel edge is correlated to a reduced drill time, particularly in the cortical bone. ..
- Yow S, Quek C, Yim E, Lim C, Leong K. Collagen-based fibrous scaffold for spatial organization of encapsulated and seeded human mesenchymal stem cells. Biomaterials. 2009;30:1133-42 pubmed publisher..It lays the foundation for building fibrous scaffold that permits 3D spatial cellular organization and multi-cellular tissue development. ..
- Affatato S, Spinelli M, Zavalloni M, Carmignato S, Lopomo N, Marcacci M, et al. Unicompartmental knee prostheses: in vitro wear assessment of the menisci tibial insert after two different fixation methods. Phys Med Biol. 2008;53:5357-69 pubmed publisher..Further observations should be made in vivo to prove the actual importance of synthetic bone simulations and specific material behaviour. ..
- Güler M. Detailed numerical investigation of the dissipative stochastic mechanics based neuron model. J Comput Neurosci. 2008;25:211-27 pubmed publisher..neuronal dynamics under the influence of ion channel noise was proposed in the realm of dissipative stochastic mechanics (Güler, Phys Rev E 76:041918, 2007)...
- Weng K, Chou N, Cheng J. Triggering vacuum capillaries for pneumatic pumping and metering liquids in point-of-care immunoassays. Lab Chip. 2008;8:1216-9 pubmed publisher..The vacuum capillary pneumatic actuation will be applied in other complex handling step bioassays and lab-on-a-chip devices. ..
- Cheng Z, Wang X, Ge J, Yan J, Ji N, Tian L, et al. The mechanical anisotropy on a longitudinal section of human enamel studied by nanoindentation. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2010;21:1811-6 pubmed publisher..Consequently, it is considered that the longitudinal sections of enamel should be modeled as anisotropic. ..
- Brice S, Ness K, Rosemond D, Lyons K, Davis M. Development and validation of a method to directly measure the cable force during the hammer throw. Sports Biomech. 2008;7:274-87 pubmed publisher..Quantitatively the average difference between the measured and calculated forces over the five throws was 76 N, which corresponds to a difference of 3.8% for a cable force of 2000 N. ..
- Ucar Y, Brantley W, Johnston W, Dasgupta T. Mechanical properties, fracture surface characterization, and microstructural analysis of six noble dental casting alloys. J Prosthet Dent. 2011;105:394-402 pubmed publisher..Wide variation was found in percentage elongation, with the Pd-Ag and Pd-Ag-Au alloys having the highest values and the Au-Pd-Pt and Au-Ag-Pd alloys having the lowest values. ..
- Sorrells J, Menger F. Hydrogen-bond-induced hysteresis in the compression/relaxation of monolayer films. J Am Chem Soc. 2008;130:10072-3 pubmed publisher..Compression flips the diketopiperazine rings so that they now reside roughly perpendicular to the interface in a stable hydrogen-bonded orientation where the rings occupy far less space. ..
- Gao Y, Cheung G, Shen Y, Zhou X. Mechanical behavior of ProTaper universal F2 finishing file under various curvature conditions: a finite element analysis study. J Endod. 2011;37:1446-50 pubmed publisher..The magnitude of stress and strain imposed on the instrument is influenced by the abruptness and degree of curvature as well as the location of the curved portion. ..
- Sessa D, Mohamed A, Byars J. Chemistry and physical properties of melt-processed and solution-cross-linked corn zein. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:7067-75 pubmed publisher..The melt-processed, cross-linked zein is a more environmentally friendly method that would eliminate the need for HAc recovery. ..
- Koynov A, Tryggvason G, Khinast J. Characterization of the localized hydrodynamic shear forces and dissolved oxygen distribution in sparged bioreactors. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2007;97:317-31 pubmed..Oxygen mass transfer and dissolved oxygen transport were resolved to examine oxygen supply to the cells in the different types of flows. ..