Summary: The research and development of ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES for such medical applications as diagnosis, therapy, research, anesthesia control, cardiac control, and surgery. (From McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 6th ed)
- Bruner S. Silicones in medical electronics. Med Device Technol. 2008;19:44-5 pubmedThe use of silicones, although already extensive, is set to grow in medical electronics. Silicones used in medical device applications as tubing or moulded parts should also be considered for electronic applications in the same device...
- Arshak A, Arshak K, Morris D, Jafer E, Korostynska O, Lyons G, et al. A review of digestible microsystems for gastrointestinal tract diagnostic applications. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2006;34:163-86 pubmed..These systems have the potential to improve diagnostic yield and, in the future, treatment of disease using these capsules should become a reality. ..
- Dobrev D, Neycheva T, Mudrov N. Simple two-electrode biosignal amplifier. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2005;43:725-30 pubmed..The amplifier is intended for use in various two-electrode applications, such as Holter-type monitors, defibrillators, ECG monitors, biotelemetry devices etc. ..
- Marquez Chin C, Popovic M, Cameron T, Lozano A, Chen R. Control of a neuroprosthesis for grasping using off-line classification of electrocorticographic signals: case study. Spinal Cord. 2009;47:802-8 pubmed publisher..The neuroprosthesis classified ECoG signals correctly delivering the correct stimulation strategy with 94.5% accuracy. The feasibility of using ECoG signals as a control strategy for a neuroprosthesis for grasping was shown. ..
- Spellman T, PETERCHEV A, Lisanby S. Focal electrically administered seizure therapy: a novel form of ECT illustrates the roles of current directionality, polarity, and electrode configuration in seizure induction. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:2002-10 pubmed publisher..Future studies may examine whether these differences in seizure threshold and expression have clinical significance for patients receiving ECT. ..
- Andreu D, Guiraud D, Souquet G. A distributed architecture for activating the peripheral nervous system. J Neural Eng. 2009;6:026001 pubmed publisher..It provides a powerful research device to determine the optimal, least aggressive and the most efficient way to activate the peripheral nervous system using an implanted FES system that is less invasive than other existing devices. ..
- Myers M, McInnis N, Fodor G, Leenen F. Comparison between an automated and manual sphygmomanometer in a population survey. Am J Hypertens. 2008;21:280-3 pubmed publisher..The slightly lower readings obtained with the BpTRU device (in the context of reduced observer-subject interaction) may be a more accurate estimate of BP status. ..
- Leonardo M, Silva L, Nelson Filho P, Silva R, Raffaini M. Ex vivo evaluation of the accuracy of two electronic apex locators during root canal length determination in primary teeth. Int Endod J. 2008;41:317-21 pubmed publisher..Root ZX II and Mini Apex Locator proved useful and accurate for apex foramen location during root canal length measurement in primary incisors and molars. ..
- Kiani M, Ghovanloo M. A closed loop wireless power transmission system using a commercial RFID transceiver for biomedical applications. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:3841-4 pubmed publisher..48 mW over a range of 6 to 12 cm, while the transmitter power consumption changed from 0.3 W to 1.21 W. The closed loop system can also oppose voltage variations as a result of sudden changes in load current. ..
- Noor F, Duffy M. Effect of a magnetic core in the receiver coil of a biomedical inductive power system. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:3818-21 pubmed publisher..Consequently, the performance of air-core coils is shown to match that of coils with magnetic cores when operated at a higher frequency. Work is ongoing to consider the effects of other limitations imposed by biomedical environments. ..
- Prell J, Rachinger J, Scheller C, Alfieri A, Strauss C, Rampp S. A real-time monitoring system for the facial nerve. Neurosurgery. 2010;66:1064-73; discussion 1073 pubmed publisher..It can critically contribute to the estimation of functional outcome during the course of the operative procedure. ..
- Scollato A, Perrini P, Benedetto N, Di Lorenzo N. A professional and cost effective digital video editing and image storage system for the operating room. J Neurosurg Sci. 2007;51:103-6 pubmed..The use of firewire ports provides good compatibility with next-generation hardware and software. The high standard of quality makes the proposed system one of the lowest priced products available today. ..
- Imai A, Toyoki H, Furui T. Electronic door interference mimicking distress in fetal monitoring. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007;99:60-1 pubmed
- Huang J, Chen L, Zhang Y. A low power wearable transceiver for human body communication. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:3802-5 pubmed publisher..Real-time medical information collecting through the human body is fully simulated. Architecture of the chip together with the detail characterizes from its wireless analog front-end are presented. ..
- Wright A, McGlinchey E, Poon E, Jenter C, Bates D, Simon S. Ability to generate patient registries among practices with and without electronic health records. J Med Internet Res. 2009;11:e31 pubmed publisher..Because practices need registries to perform broad-based quality improvement, they should consider adopting EHRs that have built-in registry functionality. ..
- Lin J, Li P, Tang S, Liu P, Young S. Industrial wideband noise reduction for hearing aids using a headset with adaptive-feedback active noise cancellation. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2005;43:739-45 pubmed..These results suggest that a headset with AFANC would be useful for hearing protection in workplaces with high levels of low-frequency industrial noise, especially for hearing-impaired workers. ..
- Versiani M, Santana B, Caram C, Pascon E, de Souza C, Biffi J. Ex vivo comparison of the accuracy of Root ZX II in detecting apical constriction using different meter's reading. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;108:e41-5 pubmed publisher..05). The accuracy was 90.5% and 83.78% for the Root ZX II "0.5" and "1" readings, respectively. It was concluded that the meter reading "1" of Root ZX II reduced the risk of working length overestimation...
- Gopi Krishna V, Kandaswamy D, Gupta T. Assessment of the efficacy of an indigeniously developed pulse oximeter dental sensor holder for pulp vitality testing. Indian J Dent Res. 2006;17:111-3 pubmed..Pulse oximeter is an accurate, atraumatic clinical alternative to the present electrical and thermal methods of assessing pulp vitality in teeth. ..
- Merlo M, Li G, Bachman M. A remotely powered and wirelessly controlled intraoral electrolarynx. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:3459-62 pubmed publisher..The results show that the device can be remotely powered and wirelessly controlled for use as an intraoral electrolarynx. Speech intelligibility of the device is not presented, but will be in future studies. ..
- Sonkusale S, Luo Z. A complete data and power telemetry system utilizing BPSK and LSK signaling for biomedical implants. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:3216-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, a very low power bidirectional power and data telemetry system for biological implants based on BPSK and LSK signaling is proposed. ..
- Li J, Pun S, Mak P, Vai M. Analysis of op-amp power-supply current sensing current-mode instrumentation amplifier for biosignal acquisition system. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:2295-8 pubmed publisher..This paper makes a brief analysis of this topology and studies some features for applying to biosignals. Furthermore, a real circuit simulation analysis employing CMOS 0.35 microm technology under a 3 V power supply is conducted. ..
- Oh T, Woo E, Holder D. Multi-frequency EIT system with radially symmetric architecture: KHU Mark1. Physiol Meas. 2007;28:S183-96 pubmed..Future design of a more innovative system is suggested including miniaturization and wireless techniques. ..
- Almqvist M, Törndahl M, Nilsson M, Lilliehorn T. Characterization of micromachined ultrasonic transducers using light diffraction tomography. IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2005;52:2298-302 pubmed..The results show that air-coupled cMUTs in the frequency range of about 1 MHz as well as the extreme near field of a miniaturized CW 10 MHz water-loaded transducer were successfully characterized with light diffraction tomography. ..
- Treizebre A, Bocquet B, Legrand D, Mazurier J. Cell investigation by Terahertz BioMEMS. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:3509-12 pubmed..This configuration is well suited for the design of THz BioMEMS dedicated to cell investigation. We show that we can deal with a micrometer spatial resolution. ..
- Locci S, Maccioni M, Orgiu E, Bonfiglio A. Woven electronics: a new perspective for wearable technology. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:3970-3 pubmed
- Stamm T, Aletaha D, Pflugbeil S, Kapral T, Montag K, Machold K, et al. The use of databases for quality assessment in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2007;25:82-5 pubmed
- Rengle A, Baboi L, Saint Jalmes H, Sablong R, Beuf O. Optical cardiac and respiratory device for synchronized MRI on small animal. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:2046-9 pubmed..This optical-based trigger system was used successfully for dual cardiac and respiratory synchronization of rat and mice for heart and liver examinations at 4.7T. ..
- To G, Qu W, Mahfouz M. ASIC Design for Wireless Surgical MEMS Device and Instrumentation. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:5892-5 pubmed..In this study, a chip is designed to process an array of microcantilever readout used in an intra-operative soft-tissue balancing instrument. ..
- Trentman T, Rosenfeld D, Vargas B, Schwedt T, Zimmerman R, Dodick D. Greater occipital nerve stimulation via the Bion microstimulator: implantation technique and stimulation parameters. Clinical trial: NCT00205894. Pain Physician. 2009;12:621-8 pubmed..This microstimulator may provide effective occipital stimulation and headache control while minimizing the risks associated with percutaneous or paddle leads implanted subcutaneously in the occipital region. ..
- Davie W, Fowler M, Koumoundouros E. ECG interference suppressed using a harmonic generator. Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2009;32:159-64 pubmed..This interference was suppressed by introducing third harmonic current into the main power cable in anti-phase to the interfering signal. ..
- Klein A, Otto G, Krämer I. Impact of a pharmaceutical care program on liver transplant patients' compliance with immunosuppressive medication: a prospective, randomized, controlled trial using electronic monitoring. Transplantation. 2009;87:839-47 pubmed publisher..Pharmaceutical care proved to be an effective intervention that should be implemented in posttransplant care. ..
- Niu C, Hao H, Li L, Ma B, Wu M. The transcutaneous charger for implanted nerve stimulation device. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:4941-4 pubmed..Two coupling coils designed specially are used to transmit and receive energy. With the mentioned coupling coils, the charger attains 15 mA charge current and the charge requirement is satisfied. ..
- Hagenouw R. Should we be alarmed by our alarms?. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2007;20:590-4 pubmed..The disadvantages of current clinical alarms have been identified and are in the process of being addressed. ..
- Barbaro M, Caboni A, Cosseddu P, Mattana G, Bonfiglio A. Active devices based on organic semiconductors for wearable applications. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2010;14:758-66 pubmed publisher..In this paper, a panoramic view of recent achievements and future perspectives is given. ..
- Benito Penalva J, Opisso E, Medina J, Corrons M, Kumru H, Vidal J, et al. H reflex modulation by transcranial magnetic stimulation in spinal cord injury subjects after gait training with electromechanical systems. Spinal Cord. 2010;48:400-6 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the changes on reflex modulation in patients with SCI occur within the first 3 months after injury. ..
- Hilditch M. Equipment re-use must be considered. Health Estate. 2006;60:48-9 pubmed
- Burns B, Watkins L, Goadsby P. Treatment of hemicrania continua by occipital nerve stimulation with a bion device: long-term follow-up of a crossover study. Lancet Neurol. 2008;7:1001-12 pubmed publisher..The bion device was well tolerated, easily inserted without significant morbidity, and is one-twentieth of the volume of current devices. Such miniaturised devices are a potential new option for treatment of HC. ..
- Smith C, Bratt M, Christensen H. Teleoperation for a ball-catching task with significant dynamics. Neural Netw. 2008;21:604-20 pubmed publisher..Also, a pilot study using minimum jerk theory to explain user input behavior in teleoperated catching is presented. ..
- Schurr M. Microsystems technology for medical applications. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2007;16:75 pubmed
- Farris S, VITEK J, Giroux M. Deep brain stimulation hardware complications: the role of electrode impedance and current measurements. Mov Disord. 2008;23:755-60 pubmed publisher..We present four patients with evolving DBS hardware complications that occurred during long-term follow-up, that shaped our clinical protocol for long-term care management and hardware troubleshooting. ..
- Blake A, Rodgers F, Bassuener A, Hippensteel J, Pearce T, Pearce T, et al. A microfluidic brain slice perfusion chamber for multisite recording using penetrating electrodes. J Neurosci Methods. 2010;189:5-13 pubmed publisher..We illustrate the utility of this recording configuration by measuring current sources and sinks during theta burst stimuli that lead to the induction of long-term potentiation in hippocampal slices. ..
- Filler A. Minimal access nerve surgery and interventional magnetic resonance imaging. Neurosurgery. 2009;65:A212-21 pubmed publisher..Closed/cylindrical iMRI systems pose challenges for patient safety, add greatly to surgical time, and provide limited useful intraoperative benefits. ..
- Schregardus D, Pieneman A, ter Maat A, Jansen R, Brouwer T, Gahr M. A lightweight telemetry system for recording neuronal activity in freely behaving small animals. J Neurosci Methods. 2006;155:62-71 pubmed..6% and perch-hopping activity to 55.3% of the baseline levels. It is concluded that the device is well suited for recording spike trains from small animals while they behave freely and naturalistically. ..
- Mengden T, Vetter H, Tousset E, Uen S. Management of patients with uncontrolled arterial hypertension--the role of electronic compliance monitoring, 24-h ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and Candesartan/HCTZ. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2006;6:36 pubmed..Switching still-uncontrolled patients to candesartan/HCTZ significantly improved BP control and stabilized a declining DRC. ..
- Jones P. Adhesive solutions for medical electronic devices. Med Device Technol. 2007;18:19-20 pubmed..Today's adhesives provide more than just bonding. They play an important role in solving problems associated with thermal and electrical conductivity, shielding, grounding, sealing and vibration damping. ..
- Lambert G, Mallos G, Zagami A. Von Frey's hairs--a review of their technology and use--a novel automated von Frey device for improved testing for hyperalgesia. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;177:420-6 pubmed publisher..We discuss some of the drawbacks of the von Frey system as usually used and illustrate the use of the new device with results from experiments on peripherally induced sensitization. ..
- Allen D. A frequency domain Hampel filter for blind rejection of sinusoidal interference from electromyograms. J Neurosci Methods. 2009;177:303-10 pubmed publisher..In the case of single-frequency interference added to simulated and experimental data, errors in root-mean-squared amplitude and median frequency of <5% are reported. ..
- Hall K. Design reuse and medical devices. Med Device Technol. 2007;18:36-7 pubmed..But designers of medical devices must be more circumspect and selective to gain tangible advantages from design reuse. ..
- Jikumaru S. [International activity of JIRA international division: administration organization and activity contents of international division?]. Nihon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi. 2007;63:303-4 pubmed
- Murray D, Boulet J, Avidan M, Kras J, Henrichs B, Woodhouse J, et al. Performance of residents and anesthesiologists in a simulation-based skill assessment. Anesthesiology. 2007;107:705-13 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to determine whether an inventory of simulated intraoperative scenarios provided a reliable and valid measure of anesthesia residents' and anesthesiologists' skill...
- Menciassi A, Quirini M, Dario P. Microrobotics for future gastrointestinal endoscopy. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2007;16:91-100 pubmed
- Hanada E, Itoga S, Takano K, Kudou T. Investigations of the quality of hospital electric power supply and the tolerance of medical electric devices to voltage dips. J Med Syst. 2007;31:219-23 pubmed..In a tolerance test, the settings of some medical devices were changed at the time of automatic reboot after a disturbance. For another device, trend information was initialized. ..