Summary: The study of systems, particularly electronic systems, which function after the manner of, in a manner characteristic of, or resembling living systems. Also, the science of applying biological techniques and principles to the design of electronic systems.
- Ebron V, Yang Z, Seyer D, Kozlov M, Oh J, Xie H, et al. Fuel-powered artificial muscles. Science. 2006;311:1580-3 pubmed..The second type of fuel-powered muscle provides a demonstrated actuator stroke and power density comparable to those of natural skeletal muscle and generated stresses that are over a hundred times higher. ..
- Ruaro M, Bonifazi P, Torre V. Toward the neurocomputer: image processing and pattern recognition with neuronal cultures. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2005;52:371-83 pubmed..Therefore, neurocomputers, (i.e., hybrid devices containing man-made elements and natural neurons) seem feasible and may become a new generation of computing devices, to be developed by a synergy of Neuroscience and Material Science. ..
- Riso R. Strategies for providing upper extremity amputees with tactile and hand position feedback--moving closer to the bionic arm. Technol Health Care. 1999;7:401-9 pubmed..The goal of this paper is to outline what can be accomplished for implementing sensation into artificial arms in the near term by applying what is present or presently attainable technology. ..
- Russell S, El Khatib F, Sinha M, Magyar K, McKeon K, Goergen L, et al. Outpatient glycemic control with a bionic pancreas in type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:313-325 pubmed publisher..Funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and others; ClinicalTrials.gov numbers, NCT01762059 and NCT01833988.). ..
- Popović Maneski L, Kostić M, Bijelic G, Keller T, Mitrović S, Konstantinović L, et al. Multi-pad electrode for effective grasping: design. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2013;21:648-54 pubmed publisher..The validity of the determined stimulation map was tested in the same group of hemiplegic patients. The selected set of active pads resulted in fully functional and reproducible palmar and lateral grasps similar to healthy-like grasps. ..
- Bradley K, Davis A, Gabriel J, Gruner G. Integration of cell membranes and nanotube transistors. Nano Lett. 2005;5:841-5 pubmed
- Lopes M, Santos Victor J. Visual learning by imitation with motor representations. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern. 2005;35:438-49 pubmed..Our results show that this approach can outperform more conventional (e.g., pure visual) methods. ..
- Thanapitak S, Toumazou C. A bionics chemical synapse. IEEE Trans Biomed Circuits Syst. 2013;7:296-306 pubmed publisher..The total power consumption of the whole chip (four chemical synapse circuits and all auxiliary circuits) is 168.3 ?W. The total chip area is 3 mm(2) in 0.35-?m AMS CMOS technology. ..
- Yanagiya Y, Sato T, Kawada T, Inagaki M, Tatewaki T, Zheng C, et al. Bionic epidural stimulation restores arterial pressure regulation during orthostasis. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2004;97:984-90 pubmed..Because epidural stimulation is a clinically feasible procedure, this BBS can be applied clinically to combat hypotension associated with various pathophysiologies. ..
- Herzog A. Of genomics, cyborgs and nanotechnology: a look into the future of medicine. Conn Med. 2002;66:53-4 pubmed
- Kawada T, Sugimachi M. Artificial neural interfaces for bionic cardiovascular treatments. J Artif Organs. 2009;12:17-22 pubmed publisher..We expect further development of artificial neural interfaces as novel strategies to cope with cardiovascular diseases resistant to conventional therapeutics. ..
- Cunningham J, Yu B, Shenoy K. Optimal target placement for neural communication prostheses. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2912-5 pubmed..These results indicate that the optimal target placement algorithm is a valuable tool for designing high-performance prosthetic systems. ..
- Parthasarathy J, Erdman A, REDISH A, Ziaie B. An integrated CMOS bio-potential amplifier with a feed-forward DC cancellation topology. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2974-7 pubmed..5 microm technology (0.05 mm2 area). Measurement results show a gain of 43.5 dB in the pass band (<1 mHz-5 KHz), an input referred noise of 3.66 microVrms, and a current consumption of 22 microA. ..
- Cieslewski G, Cheney D, Gugel K, Sanchez J, Principe J. Neural signal sampling via the low power wireless pico system. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:5904-7 pubmed..The system's development process, component selection, features and test methodology are presented. ..
- Kerns D, Troyk P, DEMICHELE G. A monolithic multi-channel amplifier for electrode arrays. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2978-81 pubmed..A single silicon chip includes sixteen electrode amplifiers, along with interface and control circuitry to allow data collection through a compact 4-wire interface. ..
- Popovic D. Control of current and future neural prostheses. Med Eng Phys. 2003;25:1-2 pubmed
- Rhee J, Chun Y, Row J. A comparison between friction and frictionless mechanics with a new typodont simulation system. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2001;119:292-9 pubmed..2078). In conclusion, this study indicated that friction and frictionless mechanics perform similarly. ..
- Akin I, Mutlu M, Kuran G, Dincer H, Arnold L, Boyle P. One-year results of the banded neural response imaging study. Otol Neurotol. 2008;29:635-8 pubmed publisher..Nineteen profoundly deaf subjects implanted with a HiRes 90K cochlear implant from Advanced Bionics Corporation (Valencia, CA)...
- Venketesh S, Dayananda C. Properties, potentials, and prospects of antifreeze proteins. Crit Rev Biotechnol. 2008;28:57-82 pubmed..The possibility of production using different molecular biological techniques, which will help increase the yield, is also dealt with. ..
- Steigenberger J. Contribution to the mechanics of worm-like motion systems and artificial muscles. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2003;2:37-57 pubmed..Segments of maximal volume present a useful preliminary stage of the investigations. ..
- Rados C. Alas, poor Yorick de-parts. FDA Consum. 2003;37:8 pubmed
- Fetz E. Volitional control of neural activity: implications for brain-computer interfaces. J Physiol. 2007;579:571-9 pubmed..Some of these factors, particularly limited practice time, can be addressed with long-term implanted BCIs. Preliminary observations with implanted circuits implementing recurrent BCIs are summarized. ..
- Buechner A, Frohne Buechner C, Gaertner L, Lesinski Schiedat A, Battmer R, Lenarz T. Evaluation of Advanced Bionics high resolution mode. Int J Audiol. 2006;45:407-16 pubmed..This analysis proves the significant benefits of high resolution mode for users, and also indicates the need for guidelines for individual optimization of parameter settings in a high resolution mode program. ..
- Egeland B, Urbanchek M, Peramo A, Richardson Burns S, Martin D, Kipke D, et al. In vivo electrical conductivity across critical nerve gaps using poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene)-coated neural interfaces. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010;126:1865-73 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates their relevance not only as a nerve-electronic coupling device capable of reaching the long-sought goal of closed-loop neural control of a prosthetic limb, but also in a multitude of other bioelectrical applications. ..
- van der Smagt P, Grebenstein M, Urbanek H, Fligge N, Strohmayr M, Stillfried G, et al. Robotics of human movements. J Physiol Paris. 2009;103:119-32 pubmed publisher..We explain human-centered views on robotics, based on the three basic ingredients (1) actuation; (2) sensing; and (3) control, and formulate detailed examples thereof. ..
- Schiller P, Tehovnik E. Visual prosthesis. Perception. 2008;37:1529-59 pubmed
- Weibel E, Kistler G, Scherle W. Practical stereological methods for morphometric cytology. J Cell Biol. 1966;30:23-38 pubmed..The systematic and statistical errors involved in such measurements are discussed. ..
- Kane M, Breen P, Quondamatteo F, Olaighin G. BION microstimulators: a case study in the engineering of an electronic implantable medical device. Med Eng Phys. 2011;33:7-16 pubmed publisher..This paper serves as an introduction to the BION microstimulator technology and as an analysis of the design process used to develop the early clinical devices. ..
- Faccioli N, Barillari M, Guariglia S, Zivelonghi E, Rizzotti A, Cerini R, et al. Radiation dose saving through the use of cone-beam CT in hearing-impaired patients. Radiol Med. 2009;114:1308-18 pubmed publisher..Owing to low radiation dose and sufficient image quality, CBCT could be considered an adequate technique for postoperative imaging and follow-up of patients with bionic ear implants. ..
- DeMichele G, Troyk P, Kerns D, Weir R. An implantable myoelectric sensor based prosthesis control system. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:2970-3 pubmed..The implant consists of a single silicon chip packaged with transmit and receive coils. Forward control telemetry to, and reverse EMG data telemetry from multiple implants has been demonstrated. ..
- He H, Yao Y, Wang Y, Wu Y, Yang Y, Gong P. A novel bionic design of dental implant for promoting its long-term success using nerve growth factor (NGF): utilizing nano-springs to construct a stress-cushioning structure inside the implant. Med Sci Monit. 2012;18:HY42-46 pubmed..This design, which transfers the main biomechanical interface of the implant from outside to inside, if proven to be valid, may to some extent compensate for the functions of lost periodontium in stress cushioning and proprioception. ..
- Ji S, Song K, Nguyen T, Kim N, Lim H. Optimal moth eye nanostructure array on transparent glass towards broadband antireflection. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2013;5:10731-7 pubmed publisher..The optimal morphology of moth eye nanostructure arrays for broadband antireflection is suggested in view of reflectance and average weight transmittance. ..
- Stieglitz T, Schuettler M, Koch K. Neural prostheses in clinical applications--trends from precision mechanics towards biomedical microsystems in neurological rehabilitation. Biomed Tech (Berl). 2004;49:72-7 pubmed
- Lu G, Cui S, Geng X, Ye L, Chen B, Feng Z, et al. Design and preparation of polyurethane-collagen/heparin-conjugated polycaprolactone double-layer bionic small-diameter vascular graft and its preliminary animal tests. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:1310-6 pubmed..Histological analysis and SEM showed that the inner layer was covered by new endothelial-like cells. The double-layer bionic SDVG is a promising candidate as a replacement of native small-diameter vascular graft. ..
- Straach C. [Bionic exhibit in Rosenheim. Nature as a model]. MMW Fortschr Med. 2003;145:65 pubmed
- Sugimachi M, Sunagawa K. Bionic cardiology: exploration into a wealth of controllable body parts in the cardiovascular system. IEEE Rev Biomed Eng. 2009;2:172-86 pubmed publisher..Bionic cardiology will continue to promote the development of more sophisticated device-based therapies for otherwise untreatable diseases and will inspire more intricate applications in the twenty-first century. ..
- Zhiwu H, Junqiu Z, Chao G, Li W, Ren L. Erosion resistance of bionic functional surfaces inspired from desert scorpions. Langmuir. 2012;28:2914-21 pubmed publisher..Based on the idea of bionics and biologic experimental techniques, the mechanisms of the sand erosion resistance of desert scorpion were ..
- Mudd J, Kass D. Tackling heart failure in the twenty-first century. Nature. 2008;451:919-28 pubmed publisher..New treatments that target disease mechanisms at the cellular and whole-organ level are needed to halt and reverse the devastating consequences of this disease. ..
- Artemiadis P, Kyriakopoulos K. An EMG-based robot control scheme robust to time-varying EMG signal features. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2010;14:582-8 pubmed publisher..The efficiency of the method is assessed through real-time experiments, including random arm motions in the 3-D space with variable hand speed profiles. ..
- Guenther T, Lovell N, Suaning G. Bionic vision: system architectures: a review. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2012;9:33-48 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we critically assess the maximum number of stimulating electrodes each technological approach is likely to provide. ..
- GIFFORD R, Revit L. Speech perception for adult cochlear implant recipients in a realistic background noise: effectiveness of preprocessing strategies and external options for improving speech recognition in noise. J Am Acad Audiol. 2010;21:441-51; quiz 487-8 pubmed publisher..Single-subject, repeated-measures design with two groups of participants: Advanced Bionics and Cochlear Corporation recipients. Thirty-four subjects, ranging in age from 18 to 90 yr (mean 54...
- Vogel G. Part man, part computer: researcher tests the limits. Science. 2002;295:1020 pubmed
- Shute N. Technology & medicine. Building a better limb. US News World Rep. 2006;141:63-4, 66 pubmed
- Tabor J, Davidson E, Ellington A. Developing RNA tools for engineered regulatory systems. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev. 2006;22:21-44 pubmed
- Colletti V, Miorelli V, Orsi A, Sacchetto L, Carner M. Deafness and the bionic ear. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol. 2003;31:139-43 pubmed
- Giraldo J, Landry M, Faltermeier S, McNicholas T, Iverson N, Boghossian A, et al. Plant nanobionics approach to augment photosynthesis and biochemical sensing. Nat Mater. 2014;13:400-8 pubmed publisher..Nanobionics engineering of plant function may contribute to the development of biomimetic materials for light-harvesting and biochemical detection with regenerative properties and enhanced efficiency. ..
- Han D, Chen X, Zhao X, Kong Y, Li Y, Liu S, et al. Comparisons between neural response imaging thresholds, electrically evoked auditory reflex thresholds and most comfortable loudness levels in CII bionic ear users with HiResolution sound processing strategies. Acta Otolaryngol. 2005;125:732-5 pubmed..For 7 patients (112 stimulating electrodes) the correlation between EART and M levels was r=0.710 (p=0.000). On average the EART value was 14 CU higher than the M-level value. ..
- Li J, Ji Z, Shi X, You F, Fu F, Liu R, et al. Design and optimization of multi-class series-parallel linear electromagnetic array artificial muscle. Biomed Mater Eng. 2014;24:549-55 pubmed publisher..Artificial muscle may be designed by analyzing and imitating properties and structure of skeletal muscle based on bionics, which has been focused on by bionic researchers, and a structure mode of linear electromagnetic array artificial ..
- Bakkum D, Chao Z, Gamblen P, Ben Ary G, Shkolnik A, Demarse T, et al. Embodying cultured networks with a robotic drawing arm. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:2996-9 pubmed..This approach may help instruct the future design of artificial neural systems and of the algorithms to interface sensory and motor prostheses with the brain. ..