Summary: The science that deals with the ocean and its phenomena. (Webster, 3d ed)
- Hamasaki K, Taniguchi A, Tada Y, Long R, Azam F. Actively growing bacteria in the inland sea of Japan, identified by combined bromodeoxyuridine immunocapture and denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:2787-98 pubmedA fundamental question in microbial oceanography concerns the relationship between prokaryote diversity and biogeochemical function in an ecosystem context...
- Reimers C. Applications of microelectrodes to problems in chemical oceanography. Chem Rev. 2007;107:590-600 pubmed
- Eckert S, Moore J, Dunn D, van Buiten R, Eckert K, Halpin P. Modeling loggerhead turtle movement in the Mediterranean: importance of body size and oceanography. Ecol Appl. 2008;18:290-308 pubmed..With one exception, only individuals > 57 cm curved carapace length used the most westerly basin in the Mediterranean (western Alborán Sea). These observations shed new light on loggerhead migration phenology. ..
- Fontaine M, Baird S, Piry S, Ray N, Tolley K, Duke S, et al. Rise of oceanographic barriers in continuous populations of a cetacean: the genetic structure of harbour porpoises in Old World waters. BMC Biol. 2007;5:30 pubmed..This genetic pattern further suggests habitat-related fragmentation of the porpoise range that is likely to intensify with predicted surface ocean warming. ..
- Selkoe K, Watson J, White C, Horin T, Iacchei M, Mitarai S, et al. Taking the chaos out of genetic patchiness: seascape genetics reveals ecological and oceanographic drivers of genetic patterns in three temperate reef species. Mol Ecol. 2010;19:3708-26 pubmed publisher..demonstrates the power of environmental and ecological data to shed light on weak genetic patterns and highlights the need for future focus on a mechanistic understanding of the links between oceanography, ecology and genetic structure.
- Cury P, Shin Y, Planque B, Durant J, Fromentin J, Kramer Schadt S, et al. Ecosystem oceanography for global change in fisheries. Trends Ecol Evol. 2008;23:338-46 pubmed publisher..However, a balanced research strategy is needed to avoid overly complex models. Ecosystem oceanography represents such a balanced strategy that relates ecosystem components and their interactions to climate change ..
- Mueter F, Litzow M. Sea ice retreat alters the biogeography of the Bering Sea continental shelf. Ecol Appl. 2008;18:309-20 pubmed..Variability among taxa in their response to temperature was not explained by commercial status or life history traits, suggesting that species-specific responses to future warming will be difficult to predict. ..
- Hazen E, Nowacek D, St Laurent L, Halpin P, Moretti D. The relationship among oceanography, prey fields, and beaked whale foraging habitat in the Tongue of the Ocean. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19269 pubmed publisher..Understanding the habitats of these whales and their utilization patterns will improve future models of beaked whale habitat as well as allowing more comprehensive assessments of exposure risk to anthropogenic sound...
- Schunter C, Carreras Carbonell J, Macpherson E, Tintore J, Vidal Vijande E, Pascual A, et al. Matching genetics with oceanography: directional gene flow in a Mediterranean fish species. Mol Ecol. 2011;20:5167-81 pubmed publisher..Seasonal changes in current patterns and the relationship between ocean circulation patterns and spawning season may also play an important role in population structure around oceanographic fronts. ..
- Edwards K, Bach W, McCollom T. Geomicrobiology in oceanography: microbe-mineral interactions at and below the seafloor. Trends Microbiol. 2005;13:449-56 pubmedb>Oceanography is inherently interdisciplinary and, since its inception, has included the study of microbe-mineral interactions...
- Natoli A, Birkun A, Aguilar A, Lopez A, Hoelzel A. Habitat structure and the dispersal of male and female bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Proc Biol Sci. 2005;272:1217-26 pubmed..These data imply a mechanism for the evolutionary structuring of populations based on local habitat dependence for both males and females...
- Bowler C, Karl D, Colwell R. Microbial oceanography in a sea of opportunity. Nature. 2009;459:180-4 pubmed publisher..Such studies will help us to appreciate the sensitivity of ocean systems and of the ocean's response to climate change, improving the predictive power of climate models. ..
- Aguzzi J, Manuel A, Condal F, Guillén J, Nogueras M, Del Rio J, et al. The new Seafloor Observatory (OBSEA) for remote and long-term coastal ecosystem monitoring. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:5850-72 pubmed publisher..Finally, bio-data time series were coupled with data from other oceanographic sensors to demonstrate the utility of OBSEA in studies of ecosystem dynamics. ..
- Schrope M. Oceanography: the real sea change. Nature. 2006;443:622-4 pubmed
- ..Here, Edward DeLong discusses the selection of articles in this Focus issue, in the context of the challenges and opportunities that face microbial oceanographers today. ..
- Bertsatos I, Zanolin M, Ratilal P, Chen T, Makris N. General second-order covariance of Gaussian maximum likelihood estimates applied to passive source localization in fluctuating waveguides. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010;128:2635-51 pubmed publisher..Here, conditions are derived to obtain accurate source localization estimates in a fluctuating ocean waveguide containing random internal waves, and the consequences of the loss of coherence on their accuracy are quantified. ..
- Cintra Buenrostro C, Reyes Bonilla H, Herrero Pérezrul M. Oceanographic conditions and diversity of sea stars (Echinodermata: Asteroidea) in the Gulf of California, México. Rev Biol Trop. 2005;53 Suppl 3:245-61 pubmed..We conclude that species richness of Asteroidea in the Gulf of California is related to oceanographic conditions and can be estimated from regional oceanographic information. ..
- Czerski H, Deane G. Contributions to the acoustic excitation of bubbles released from a nozzle. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010;128:2625-34 pubmed publisher..It is found that for slowly-grown bubbles the jet does make a noticeable difference to the total volume decrease during neck collapse, but that it is not a dominant effect in the overall acoustic excitation. ..
- Pala C. Climate science. Sea animals get tagged for double-duty research. Science. 2006;313:1383-4 pubmed
- Digiacomo P, Washburn L, Holt B, Jones B. Coastal pollution hazards in southern California observed by SAR imagery: stormwater plumes, wastewater plumes, and natural hydrocarbon seeps. Mar Pollut Bull. 2004;49:1013-24 pubmed
- Service R. Oceanography. New dead zone off Oregon coast hints at sea change in currents. Science. 2004;305:1099 pubmed
- Parsons K, Durban J, Burdin A, Burkanov V, Pitman R, Barlow J, et al. Geographic patterns of genetic differentiation among killer whales in the northern North Pacific. J Hered. 2013;104:737-54 pubmed publisher..Support for seasonally sympatric transient subpopulations around Unimak Island suggests isolating mechanisms other than geographic distance within this highly mobile top predator. ..
- Carroll G, Everett J, Harcourt R, Slip D, Jonsen I. High sea surface temperatures driven by a strengthening current reduce foraging success by penguins. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22236 pubmed publisher..To understand how dynamic oceanography influences food availability in these ocean warming "hotspots", we use a novel prey capture signature ..
- Hegewisch K, Tomsovic S. Constructing acoustic timefronts using random matrix theory. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;134:3174-84 pubmed publisher..It also makes direct connections to methods used in other disordered waveguide contexts where the use of random matrix theory has a multi-decade history. ..
- Regular P, Shuhood F, Power T, Montevecchi W, Robertson G, Ballam D, et al. Murres, capelin and ocean climate: inter-annual associations across a decadal shift. Environ Monit Assess. 2009;156:293-302 pubmed publisher..the influence of ocean temperature and the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO; an index of winter climate and oceanography) on these interactions...
- Wares J, Gaines S, Cunningham C. A comparative study of asymmetric migration events across a marine biogeographic boundary. Evolution. 2001;55:295-306 pubmed..In data from a fourth species with nondispersing larvae (Nucella emarginata, Marko 1998), our method suggests that ocean currents have not played a role in generating genetic structure. ..
- Saldaña S, Lima M, Estay S. Northern Atlantic Oscillation effects on the temporal and spatial dynamics of green spruce aphid populations in the UK. J Anim Ecol. 2007;76:782-9 pubmed
- Bouman H, Ulloa O, Scanlan D, Zwirglmaier K, Li W, Platt T, et al. Oceanographic basis of the global surface distribution of Prochlorococcus ecotypes. Science. 2006;312:918-21 pubmed
- Harris D, Matías L, Thomas L, Harwood J, Geissler W. Applying distance sampling to fin whale calls recorded by single seismic instruments in the northeast Atlantic. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;134:3522-35 pubmed publisher..e., vocalization) rate. This study demonstrates the potential for using a sparse array of widely spaced, independently operating acoustic sensors, such as OBSs, for estimating cetacean density. ..
- Graham M, Kinlan B, Grosberg R. Post-glacial redistribution and shifts in productivity of giant kelp forests. Proc Biol Sci. 2010;277:399-406 pubmed publisher..model of southern Californian giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) forest distribution as a function of oceanography and geomorphology, and synthesized palaeo-oceanographic records to show that late Quaternary climate change ..
- Colosi J, Van Uffelen L, Cornuelle B, Dzieciuch M, Worcester P, Dushaw B, et al. Observations of sound-speed fluctuations in the western Philippine Sea in the spring of 2009. J Acoust Soc Am. 2013;134:3185-200 pubmed publisher..Spice decorrelates rapidly with depth, with a typical correlation scale of tens of meters. ..
- Wilcock W, Stafford K, Andrew R, Odom R. Sounds in the ocean at 1-100 Hz. Ann Rev Mar Sci. 2014;6:117-40 pubmed publisher..The increasing availability of long-term records of ocean sound will provide new opportunities for a deeper understanding of natural and anthropogenic sound sources and potential interactions between them. ..
- Killworth P. Comment on "Oceanic Rossby waves acting as a 'hay rake' for ecosystem floating by-products". Science. 2004;304:390; author reply 390 pubmed
- Marris E. Oceanography: deckchair science. Nature. 2004;431:394-5 pubmed
- Woodworth P. Some important issues to do with long-term sea level change. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2006;364:787-803 pubmed..Many of these topics were explored at a 'Celebration of UK sea level science' at the Royal Society on 16-17 February 2004, and are discussed further in a number of papers in this volume. ..
- Girguis P, Childress J. Metabolite uptake, stoichiometry and chemoautotrophic function of the hydrothermal vent tubeworm Riftia pachyptila: responses to environmental variations in substrate concentrations and temperature. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:3516-28 pubmed
- Reif R. Resolution of radio frequency exposure concerns at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution with a collaborative approach. Health Phys. 2006;91:S87-91 pubmed..All monitored exposures have been less than 10% of the MPE limit from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Standard C95.1-1999 for controlled areas, and all occupational RFR exposure concerns have been resolved. ..
- Makris N, Ratilal P, Symonds D, Jagannathan S, Lee S, Nero R. Fish population and behavior revealed by instantaneous continental shelf-scale imaging. Science. 2006;311:660-3 pubmed..The technique has revealed the instantaneous horizontal structural characteristics and volatile short-term behavior of very large fish shoals, containing tens of millions of fish and stretching for many kilometers. ..
- ..This review discusses examples of representative transport mechanisms and explores possible observational and theoretical paths to future progress. ..
- Alverson K. Watching over the world's oceans. Nature. 2005;434:19-20 pubmed
- Santos P, Rodriguez O, Felisberto P, Jesus S. Seabed geoacoustic characterization with a vector sensor array. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010;128:2652-63 pubmed publisher..The particle velocity information provided by the VSA increases significantly the resolution of seabed parameter estimation and in some cases reliable results are obtained using only the vertical component of the particle velocity. ..
- Matciak M. Anomalous diffraction approximation to the light scattering coefficient spectra of marine particles with power-law size distribution. Opt Express. 2012;20:27603-11 pubmed publisher..This is demonstrated and discussed for the scattering spectra of main types of marine particulates characterized by different optical properties. ..
- Bohatá K, Koppelmann R. Chaetognatha of the Namibian upwelling region: taxonomy, distribution and trophic position. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53839 pubmed publisher..The C:N ratio of Chaetognatha ranged between 5.25 and 6.20. Overall, Chaetognatha are a diverse group in the pelagic food web of the Benguela Upwelling System and act as competitors of fish larvae and jelly fish by preying on copepods. ..
- Jackson J. The future of the oceans past. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2010;365:3765-78 pubmed publisher..There is an urgent need for immediate and decisive conservation action. Otherwise, another great mass extinction affecting all ocean ecosystems and comparable to the upheavals of the geological past appears inevitable. ..
- Bakran Petricioli T, Petricioli D. Habitats in submerged karst of Eastern Adriatic coast--Croatian natural heritage. Croat Med J. 2008;49:455-8 pubmed
- Rossby T. Visualizing and Quantifying Oceanic Motion. Ann Rev Mar Sci. 2016;8:35-57 pubmed publisher..Sustained sampling along selected routes builds up valuable databases both for statistical studies of the submesoscale velocity field and for accurate estimates of fluid transport, as well as how these vary over time. ..
- Monzón Argüello C, Dell Amico F, Moriniere P, Marco A, López Jurado L, Hays G, et al. Lost at sea: genetic, oceanographic and meteorological evidence for storm-forced dispersal. J R Soc Interface. 2012;9:1725-32 pubmed publisher..Increased stormy weather predicted under climate change scenarios suggests an increasing role of storms in dispersal of sea turtles and other marine groups with life-stages near the ocean surface. ..
- Roldão J, Carvalho J, Roberts P. Field observations of dilution on the Ipanema Beach outfall. Water Sci Technol. 2001;43:351-60 pubmed..The minimum dilution varied from 30 to 130. The measurements reflect the worst case conditions as the campaigns were all made for weak currents. ..