Summary: The study of ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION and the toxic effects of ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTS on the ECOSYSTEM. The term was coined by Truhaut in 1969.
- Weinhold B. Building on success: assessment categories for experimental noncancer end points. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117:A112-5 pubmed
- Kennedy A, Coleman J, Diamond S, Melby N, Bednar A, Harmon A, et al. Assessing nanomaterial exposures in aquatic ecotoxicological testing: Framework and case studies based on dispersion and dissolution. Nanotoxicology. 2017;11:546-557 pubmed publisher..Results indicated that while arithmetic means were effective for expressing the toxicity of more stable materials, time-weighted averaged concentrations were appropriate for the unstable nano-TiO2. ..
- Karami A. Gaps in aquatic toxicological studies of microplastics. Chemosphere. 2017;184:841-848 pubmed publisher..This critical review suggests some important strategies to help conduct environmentally-relevant MP bioassays. ..
- Curi L, Peltzer P, Martinuzzi C, Attademo M, Seib S, Simoniello M, et al. Altered development, oxidative stress and DNA damage in Leptodactylus chaquensis (Anura: Leptodactylidae) larvae exposed to poultry litter. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;143:62-71 pubmed publisher..05), varying from medium to severe damage (comet types II, III and IV). These results showed that PL treatments altered development and growth and induced oxidative stress and DNA damage, resulting ecotoxic for L. chaquensis larvae. ..
- Hall A, Belanger S, Guiney P, Galay Burgos M, Maack G, Stubblefield W, et al. New approach to weight-of-evidence assessment of ecotoxicological effects in regulatory decision-making. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2017;13:573-579 pubmed publisher..Integr Environ Assess Manag 2017;13:573-579. © 2017 The Authors. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry (SETAC). ..
- Freitas J, Teresa F, de Almeida E. Influence of temperature on the antioxidant responses and lipid peroxidation of two species of tadpoles (Rhinella schneideri and Physalaemus nattereri) exposed to the herbicide sulfentrazone (Boral 500SC®). Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;197:32-44 pubmed publisher..These findings imply that the effects of abiotic factors should be taken into account to evaluate the real risks of exposure of amphibians to commonly used pesticides. ..
- Mestre N, Rocha T, Canals M, Cardoso C, Danovaro R, Dell Anno A, et al. Environmental hazard assessment of a marine mine tailings deposit site and potential implications for deep-sea mining. Environ Pollut. 2017;228:169-178 pubmed publisher..A similar approach as in this study could be applied in other areas affected by sediment resuspension and for testing future deep-sea mining sites in order to assess the associated environmental hazards. ..
- Dietrich D, Aulock S, Marquardt H, Blaauboer B, Dekant W, KEHRER J, et al. Scientifically unfounded precaution drives European Commission's recommendations on EDC regulation, while defying common sense, well-established science and risk assessment principles. Chem Biol Interact. 2013;205:A1-5 pubmed publisher
- Stahl R, Stauber J, Clements W. Spectators or participants: How can SETAC become more engaged in international climate change research programs?. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2017;36:1971-1977 pubmed publisher..Environ Toxicol Chem 2017;36:1971-1977. © 2017 SETAC. ..
- Brami C, Glover A, Butt K, Lowe C. Avoidance, biomass and survival response of soil dwelling (endogeic) earthworms to OECD artificial soil: potential implications for earthworm ecotoxicology. Ecotoxicology. 2017;26:576-579 pubmed publisherSoil dwelling earthworms are now adopted more widely in ecotoxicology, so it is vital to establish if standardised test parameters remain applicable...
- Sintra T, Nasirpour M, Siopa F, Rosatella A, Goncalves F, Coutinho J, et al. Ecotoxicological evaluation of magnetic ionic liquids. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;143:315-321 pubmed publisher..In order to improve the knowledge for the prospective design of environmentally safer MILs, it is important to expand this study to other aquatic organisms at different trophic levels. ..
- Bergami E, Pugnalini S, Vannuccini M, Manfra L, Faleri C, Savorelli F, et al. Long-term toxicity of surface-charged polystyrene nanoplastics to marine planktonic species Dunaliella tertiolecta and Artemia franciscana. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;189:159-169 pubmed publisher..The use of long-term end-point has been identified as valuable tool for assessing the impact of nanoplastics on marine planktonic species, being more predictable of real exposure scenarios for risk assessment purposes. ..
- Cresswell T, Metian M, Golding L, Wood M. Aquatic live animal radiotracing studies for ecotoxicological applications: Addressing fundamental methodological deficiencies. J Environ Radioact. 2017;178-179:453-460 pubmed publisherThe use of live animal gamma radioisotope tracer techniques in the field of ecotoxicology allows laboratory studies to accurately monitor contaminant biokinetics in real time for an individual organism...
- Chelinho S, Maleita C, Francisco R, Braga M, da Cunha M, Abrantes I, et al. Toxicity of the bionematicide 1,4-naphthoquinone on non-target soil organisms. Chemosphere. 2017;181:579-588 pubmed publisher..and root-lesion nematodes, Pratylenchus spp. In addition, if higher dosages of 1,4-NTQ bionematicide are necessary, the potential recovery of non-target organisms under real field scenarios also needs to be assessed. ..
- de Gelder S, Sæle Ø, de Veen B, Vos J, Flik G, Berntssen M, et al. The polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons benzo[a]pyrene and phenanthrene inhibit intestinal lipase activity in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;198:1-8 pubmed publisher..The replacement of fish oil by rapeseed oil in aquafeeds introduces PAHs that could affect lipid digestion. ..
- Boyes W, Thornton B, Al Abed S, Andersen C, Bouchard D, Burgess R, et al. A comprehensive framework for evaluating the environmental health and safety implications of engineered nanomaterials. Crit Rev Toxicol. 2017;47:767-810 pubmed publisher..Application, refinement, and demonstration of this framework, along with an associated knowledgebase that includes targeted functional assay data, will allow better de novo predictions of potential exposures and adverse outcomes. ..
- Melvin S, Petit M, Duvignacq M, Sumpter J. Towards improved behavioural testing in aquatic toxicology: Acclimation and observation times are important factors when designing behavioural tests with fish. Chemosphere. 2017;180:430-436 pubmed publisher..We recommend that researchers applying behavioural tests with fish, and other species, apply a similar framework to better understand baseline behaviours and the implications of design choices for influencing study outcomes. ..
- Philippe C, Grégoir A, Janssens L, Pinceel T, De Boeck G, Brendonck L. Acute and chronic sensitivity to copper of a promising ecotoxicological model species, the annual killifish Nothobranchius furzeri. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;144:26-35 pubmed publisher..The successful application of current ecotoxicological protocols on N. furzeri and its sensitivity range comparable to that of other model organisms forms the basis to exploit this species in further ecotoxicological practices. ..
- Schlich K, Hoppe M, Kraas M, Fries E, Hund Rinke K. Ecotoxicity and fate of a silver nanomaterial in an outdoor lysimeter study. Ecotoxicology. 2017;26:738-751 pubmed publisher..The results of the laboratory experiment reflect the findings of the lysimeter study and indicate that a risk assessment for AgNM based on data from laboratory tests is acceptable. ..
- Cerrillo C, Barandika G, Igartua A, Areitioaurtena O, Mendoza G. Key challenges for nanotechnology: Standardization of ecotoxicity testing. J Environ Sci Health C Environ Carcinog Ecotoxicol Rev. 2017;35:104-126 pubmed publisher..Specific advice is provided on the preparation of MNM dispersions in the culture media of the organisms, which is considered a key factor to overcome the limitations in the standardization of the test methodologies. ..
- Li B, Ma Y, Zhang Y. Oxidative stress and hepatotoxicity in the frog, Rana chensinensis, when exposed to low doses of trichlorfon. J Environ Sci Health B. 2017;52:476-482 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that low doses of trichlorfon could induce oxidative stress, lipid peroxidation, and hepatic lesions in frogs, which shows that even lower, non-lethal doses of trichlorfon are potentially toxic to amphibians. ..
- Archana G, Dhodapkar R, Kumar A. Ecotoxicological risk assessment and seasonal variation of some pharmaceuticals and personal care products in the sewage treatment plant and surface water bodies (lakes). Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:446 pubmed publisher..Ecotoxicological risk assessment was done to appraise the degree of toxicity of the targeted compounds. Hazard quotient (HQ) values were found to be < 1 indicating no adverse effect on the targeted organism. ..
- Van den Brink P. Ecological risk assessment: from book-keeping to chemical stress ecology. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:8999-9004 pubmed
- Del Carmen Cuevas Díaz M, Vázquez Luna D, Martínez Hernández S, Guzmán López O, Ortiz Ceballos A. Sensitivity of the Endogeic Tropical Earthworm Pontoscolex corethrurus to the Presence of Heavy Crude Oil. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;99:154-160 pubmed publisher..32 mg/kg; however, growth (weight loss) was more sensitive than mortality. Our study revealed that P. corethrurus is sensitive to TPH, thus highlighting the importance of P. corethrurus for petroleum ecotoxicological tests. ..
- Filho J, Tonetti A, Guimarães M, Silva D. Nutrient recovery from airplane wastewater: composition, treatment and ecotoxicological assay. Water Sci Technol. 2017;75:1952-1960 pubmed publisher..0 and molar ratio Mg:NH4:PO4 equal to 1.5:1.0:1.0. In this case, the removal of ammonia and phosphorus achieved 97.0% and 95.3%, respectively. After this procedure, the toxicity by Vibrio fischeri decreased. ..
- Potthoff A, Oelschlägel K, Schmitt Jansen M, Rummel C, Kühnel D. From the sea to the laboratory: Characterization of microplastic as prerequisite for the assessment of ecotoxicological impact. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2017;13:500-504 pubmed publisher..Only under those prerequisites will reliable hazard assessment of MP be feasible. Integr Environ Assess Manag 2017;13:500-504. © 2017 SETAC. ..
- Croce R, Cinà F, Lombardo A, Crispeyn G, Cappelli C, Vian M, et al. Aquatic toxicity of several textile dye formulations: Acute and chronic assays with Daphnia magna and Raphidocelis subcapitata. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;144:79-87 pubmed publisher..In our experimental conditions, algae were more sensitive to dye toxicity, particularly when the effects on cell number were considered. ..
- Steffens S, Nüßer L, Seiler T, Ruchter N, Schumann M, Döring R, et al. A versatile and low-cost open source pipetting robot for automation of toxicological and ecotoxicological bioassays. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179636 pubmed publisher..2-fold dilution series and used it for exposure of zebrafish embryos (Danio rerio)-a common model species in ecotoxicology-to cadmium chloride and permethrin...
- Liu L, Xiao Y, Ji Y, Liu M, Chen Y, Zeng Y, et al. CuInS2/ZnS QD exposure induces developmental toxicity, oxidative stress and DNA damage in rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus) embryos and larvae. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;198:19-27 pubmed publisher..rarus embryos. The information presented in this study will be helpful for fully understanding the toxicity induced by CuInS2/ZnS QDs in fish embryos. ..
- Terzopoulou E, Voutsa D. Study of persistent toxic pollutants in a river basin-ecotoxicological risk assessment. Ecotoxicology. 2017;26:625-638 pubmed publisher..Performing risk assessment based on passive sampling, more information was obtained about temporal and spatial variation. SPMDs could be applied as a pre-evaluation before chemical monitoring in biota. ..
- Fox M, Brewer L, Martin L. An Overview of Literature Topics Related to Current Concepts, Methods, Tools, and Applications for Cumulative Risk Assessment (2007-2016). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..This article presents the results of a literature search and discusses a range of selected work with the intention to give a broad overview of relevant topics and provide a starting point for researchers interested in CRA applications. ..
- Svartz G, Papa M, Gosatti M, Jordán M, Soldati A, Samter P, et al. Monitoring the ecotoxicity of ?-Al2O3 and Ni/?-Al2O3 nanomaterials by means of a battery of bioassays. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;144:200-207 pubmed publisher..These results evidence the vulnerability of wildlife to xenobiotics and the need to develop specific standardized ecotoxicity tests in order to help environmental sustainability and natural species conservation. ..
- Reid N, Whitehead A. Functional genomics to assess biological responses to marine pollution at physiological and evolutionary timescales: toward a vision of predictive ecotoxicology. Brief Funct Genomics. 2016;15:358-64 pubmed publisher..We finish by integrating these paradigms into a vision of how genomics approaches could anchor a modernized framework for advancing the predictive capacity of environmental and ecotoxicological science. ..