Summary: The deliberate and methodical practice of finding new applications for existing drugs.
- Chiu Y, Tseng J, Liu K, Lin C, Hsu K, Yang J. Homopharma: a new concept for exploring the molecular binding mechanisms and drug repurposing. BMC Genomics. 2014;15 Suppl 9:S8 pubmed publisher..We believe that the Homopharma concept can have the potential for understanding molecular binding mechanisms and providing new clues for drug development. ..
- Salata C, Calistri A, Parolin C, Baritussio A, Palu G. Antiviral activity of cationic amphiphilic drugs. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2017;15:483-492 pubmed publisher..Further knowledge about their mechanism of action is required to improve their antiviral activity and to reduce the risk of side effects. ..
- Xu R, Wang Q. Comparing a knowledge-driven approach to a supervised machine learning approach in large-scale extraction of drug-side effect relationships from free-text biomedical literature. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16 Suppl 5:S6 pubmed publisher..drug-SE) associations are emerging as an active research area for both drug target discovery and drug repositioning. However, a comprehensive drug-SE association knowledge base does not exist...
- Shabana K, Abdul Nazeer K, Pradhan M, Palakal M. A computational method for drug repositioning using publicly available gene expression data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16 Suppl 17:S5 pubmed publisherThe identification of new therapeutic uses of existing drugs, or drug repositioning, offers the possibility of faster drug development, reduced risk, lesser cost and shorter paths to approval...
- Lee B, Tiong K, Chang J, Liew C, Abdul Rahman Z, Tan A, et al. DeSigN: connecting gene expression with therapeutics for drug repurposing and development. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:934 pubmed publisher..This user-friendly platform could be used to identify drugs with unanticipated efficacy against cancer cell lines of interest, and therefore could be used for the repurposing of drugs, thus improving the efficiency of drug development. ..
- Huang H, Nguyen T, Ibrahim S, Shantharam S, Yue Z, Chen J. DMAP: a connectivity map database to enable identification of novel drug repositioning candidates. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16 Suppl 13:S4 pubmed publisherb>Drug repositioning is a cost-efficient and time-saving process to drug development compared to traditional techniques...
- Huang L, Soysal E, Zheng W, Zhao Z, Xu H, Sun J. A weighted and integrated drug-target interactome: drug repurposing for schizophrenia as a use case. BMC Syst Biol. 2015;9 Suppl 4:S2 pubmed publisher..Its application to the SCZ drug repurposing demonstrated that the WinDTome is promising to serve as a useful resource for drug repurposing. ..
- Toro Dominguez D, Carmona Saez P, Alarcon Riquelme M. Support for phosphoinositol 3 kinase and mTOR inhibitors as treatment for lupus using in-silico drug-repurposing analysis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:54 pubmed publisher..Our exploratory analysis provides evidence that phosphoinositol 3 kinase and mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) inhibitors could be potential therapeutic options in SLE worth further future testing. ..
- Kharkar P. Cancer stem cell (CSC) inhibitors: a review of recent patents (2012-2015). Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2017;27:753-761 pubmed publisher..Drug repurposing can be attempted to discover newer anti-CSC drugs quickly. ..
- Ji X, Liu X, Peng Y, Zhan R, Xu H, Ge X. Comparative analysis of methicillin-sensitive and resistant Staphylococcus aureus exposed to emodin based on proteomic profiling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;494:318-324 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Interference proteins related to membrane damage mechanism were also observed in MRSA. Our findings indicate that emodin is a potential antibacterial agent targeting MRSA via multiple mechanisms...
- Liu H, Song Y, Guan J, Luo L, Zhuang Z. Inferring new indications for approved drugs via random walk on drug-disease heterogenous networks. BMC Bioinformatics. 2016;17:539 pubmed publisher..there is an increasing interest in establishing new medical indications for approved drugs, referred to as drug repositioning, which provides a relatively low-cost and high-efficiency approach for drug discovery...
- Vazquez Ortiz G, Chisholm C, Xu X, Lahusen T, Li C, Sakamuru S, et al. Drug repurposing screen identifies lestaurtinib amplifies the ability of the poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase 1 inhibitor AG14361 to kill breast cancer associated gene-1 mutant and wild type breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res. 2014;16:R67 pubmed publisher..Each of these drugs has been approved for clinical trials for several different cancers, thus, their combination treatment should be applicable for a breast cancer trial in the future. ..
- Wu C, Gudivada R, Aronow B, Jegga A. Computational drug repositioning through heterogeneous network clustering. BMC Syst Biol. 2013;7 Suppl 5:S6 pubmed publisherGiven the costly and time consuming process and high attrition rates in drug discovery and development, drug repositioning or drug repurposing is considered as a viable strategy both to replenish the drying out drug pipelines and to ..
- Furuta T, Sabit H, Dong Y, Miyashita K, Kinoshita M, Uchiyama N, et al. Biological basis and clinical study of glycogen synthase kinase- 3?-targeted therapy by drug repositioning for glioblastoma. Oncotarget. 2017;8:22811-22824 pubmed publisher..Repositioning of the GSK3?-inhibitory drugs improved the prognosis of refractory GBM patients with active GSK3? in tumors. Combination of CLOVA cocktail and TMZ is a promising approach for recurrent GBM. ..
- Cong J, Wang Y, Zhang X, Zhang N, Liu L, Soukup K, et al. A novel chemoradiation targeting stem and nonstem pancreatic cancer cells by repurposing disulfiram. Cancer Lett. 2017;409:9-19 pubmed publisher..04%) in inhibiting growth of the mouse Panc02 tumor. These encouraging results provide a solid foundation for clinical trials to improve the outcomes of the current standard chemoradiation therapy regimen for PDAC. ..
- Yoshida G. Therapeutic strategies of drug repositioning targeting autophagy to induce cancer cell death: from pathophysiology to treatment. J Hematol Oncol. 2017;10:67 pubmed publisher..This review article focuses on recent advances in some of the novel therapeutic strategies that target autophagy with a view to treating/preventing malignant neoplasms. ..
- Lee Y, Choi H, Park S, Lee B, Yi G. Drug repositioning for enzyme modulator based on human metabolite-likeness. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:226 pubmed publisher..To verify the metabolite-likeness measure for drug repositioning, we analyzed 17 known antimetabolite drugs that resemble the innate metabolites of their eleven target ..
- Killick Cole C, Singleton W, Bienemann A, Asby D, Wyatt M, Boulter L, et al. Repurposing the anti-epileptic drug sodium valproate as an adjuvant treatment for diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176855 pubmed publisher..These findings support the use of sodium valproate as an adjuvant treatment for DIPG. ..
- Pandurangan A, Ascher D, Thomas S, Blundell T. Genomes, structural biology and drug discovery: combating the impacts of mutations in genetic disease and antibiotic resistance. Biochem Soc Trans. 2017;45:303-311 pubmed publisher..We discuss the ways that structural insights might be useful in both repurposing off-licence drugs and guide the design of new molecules that might be less susceptible to drug resistance in the future. ..
- Li J, Zheng S, Chen B, Butte A, Swamidass S, Lu Z. A survey of current trends in computational drug repositioning. Brief Bioinform. 2016;17:2-12 pubmed publisherComputational drug repositioning or repurposing is a promising and efficient tool for discovering new uses from existing drugs and holds the great potential for precision medicine in the age of big data...
- Oliveira M, Guimarães A, Araújo A, Quintans Júnior L, Quintans J. New drugs or alternative therapy to blurring the symptoms of fibromyalgia-a patent review. Expert Opin Ther Pat. 2017;27:1147-1157 pubmed publisher..therapeutic approaches were found in patents such as well-established drugs in the market in combination or drug repositioning that combines the 'new analgesic' effects with the old side effects...
- So H, Chau C, Chiu W, Ho K, Lo C, Yim S, et al. Analysis of genome-wide association data highlights candidates for drug repositioning in psychiatry. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1342-1349 pubmed publisher..Here we propose a framework for drug repositioning by comparing transcriptomes imputed from GWAS data with drug-induced gene expression profiles from the ..
- Finan C, Gaulton A, Krüger F, Lumbers R, Shah T, Engmann J, et al. The druggable genome and support for target identification and validation in drug development. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9: pubmed publisher..We used this set of genes to inform the design of a new genotyping array, which will enable association studies of druggable genes for drug target selection and validation in human disease. ..
- Gonzalez G, Tahsin T, Goodale B, Greene A, Greene C. Recent Advances and Emerging Applications in Text and Data Mining for Biomedical Discovery. Brief Bioinform. 2016;17:33-42 pubmed publisher..We present an overview of the fundamental methods for text and data mining, as well as recent advances and emerging applications toward precision medicine. ..
- Sellers E. Psilocybin: Good Trip or Bad Trip. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2017;102:580-584 pubmed publisher..The latest rediscovery is that of psychedelic drugs. Since they can cause profound distortions of perception and were once used as part of religious ceremonies, such research may seem unusual at this time. ..
- Tyner J. Kinase Inhibitor Screening in Myeloid Malignancies. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2017;31:693-704 pubmed publisher..By combining functional screening with genomic data, it is also possible to accelerate understanding of these mechanistic underpinnings. ..
- Oh M, Ahn J, Lee T, Jang G, Park C, Yoon Y. Drug voyager: a computational platform for exploring unintended drug action. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:131 pubmed publisher..Our study addresses how we can computationally represent drug-signaling pathways to understand unintended drug actions and to facilitate drug discovery and screening. ..