Summary: The branch of chemistry dealing with detection (qualitative) and determination (quantitative) of substances. (Grant & Hackh's Chemical Dictionary, 5th ed)
- Gupta V, Goyal R, Sharma R. Anion recognition using newly synthesized hydrogen bonding disubstituted phenylhydrazone-based receptors: poly(vinyl chloride)-based sensor for acetate. Talanta. 2008;76:859-64 pubmed publisher..Total concentration of acetic acid in vinegar samples were determined by direct potentiometry and the values agreed with those mentioned by the manufacturers. ..
- Kelly D, Dukovski D, Walz T. Monolayer purification: a rapid method for isolating protein complexes for single-particle electron microscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4703-8 pubmed publisher..The resulting monolayer samples allowed calculation of a cryo-EM 3D reconstruction of the Escherichia coli 50S ribosomal subunit...
- Zheng Y, Quan J, Ning X, Zhu L. Enhancement in the synthesis of novel feruloyl lipids (feruloyl butyryl glycerides) by enzymatic biotransformation using response surface methodology. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:11493-8 pubmed publisher..6 degrees C, reaction time of 5.5 days, enzyme concentration of 50.8 mg/mL, water activity of 0.14, and substrate molar ratio of 2.9. The conversion is higher as compared to that at the conditions before optimization. ..
- Kaddurah Daouk R, Kristal B, Weinshilboum R. Metabolomics: a global biochemical approach to drug response and disease. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008;48:653-83 pubmed publisher..It also highlights potential metabolomic applications to pharmacology and clinical pharmacology. ..
- Pallarola D, Battaglini F. An efficient method for conjugation of a lipopolysaccharide from Salmonella enterica sv. Minnesota with probes bearing hydrazine or amino functional groups. Anal Biochem. 2008;381:53-8 pubmed publisher..The method can be used effectively for the conjugation of LPS to probes bearing primary amino, hydrazine, or hydrazide functional groups. ..
- Shiddiky M, Rahman M, Cheol C, Shim Y. Fabrication of disposable sensors for biomolecule detection using hydrazine electrocatalyst. Anal Biochem. 2008;379:170-5 pubmed publisher..5 ng/ml, respectively, were observed along with detection limits of approximately 30 fM and 25 fg/ml, respectively. The low detection limit of the disposable sensors offers good promise for practical DNA and protein detection. ..
- Eccleston J, Martin S, Schilstra M. Rapid kinetic techniques. Methods Cell Biol. 2008;84:445-77 pubmed..We discuss the experimental design appropriate for the different experimental techniques and reaction mechanisms, as well as the fundamental theoretical concepts behind the analysis of the data obtained. ..
- García González D, Viera Macías M, Aparicio Ruiz R, Morales M, Aparicio R. Validation of a method based on triglycerides for the detection of low percentages of hazelnut oil in olive oil by column liquid chromatography. J AOAC Int. 2007;90:1346-53 pubmed..The analytical properties of the method were determined by means of the sensitivity (0.86), selectivity (0.94), and reliability (72%) for a cutoff limit of 8% (probability 94%). ..
- de Vos W, Biesheuvel P, de Keizer A, Kleijn J, Cohen Stuart M. Adsorption of the protein bovine serum albumin in a planar poly(acrylic acid) brush layer as measured by optical reflectometry. Langmuir. 2008;24:6575-84 pubmed publisher..Together with nonelectrostatic interactions, it explains the significant protein adsorption above the pzc. ..
- Ninane V, Mukandayambaje R, Berben G. Identification of lactic acid bacteria within the consortium of a kefir grain by sequencing 16S rDNA variable regions. J AOAC Int. 2007;90:1111-7 pubmed..Nevertheless, even in the V2 region, differences were too tenuous for effective identification of L. mesenteroides. The methodology described here allowed detection of the dominant species within each targeted microbial group...
- Jin M, Huang H, Xiao A, Gao Z, Liu X, Peng C. Enhancing arachidonic acid production by Mortierella alpina ME-1 using improved mycelium aging technology. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng. 2009;32:117-22 pubmed publisher..7 degrees C, ethanol 42.44 g/l, and KNO(3) 2.62 g/l. This yield was 1.55 times higher than that of traditional aging technology. The improved mycelium aging technology is considered to be a useful strategy for enhancing ARA production. ..
- Parshintsev J, Nurmi J, Kilpelainen I, Hartonen K, Kulmala M, Riekkola M. Preparation of beta-caryophyllene oxidation products and their determination in ambient aerosol samples. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2008;390:913-9 pubmed..4 +/- 1.0 ng m(-3) of sampled air. Comparison with previous findings led to the conclusion that oxidation products of beta-caryophyllene participate in biogenic aerosol formation over boreal forest during late spring. ..
- Arnell R, Johannisson R, Lindholm J, Fornstedt T, Ersson B, Ballagi A, et al. Biotechnological approach to the synthesis of 9alpha-hydroxylated steroids. Prep Biochem Biotechnol. 2007;37:309-21 pubmed..The enzyme was purified by immobilised metal affinity and ion exchange chromatography, resulting in low in vitro activity. ..
- Ceni G, Baldissera E, Antunes O, Vladimir Oliveira J, Dariva C, de Oliveira D. Oxidases from mate tea leaves (Ilex paraguariensis): extraction optimization and stability at low and high temperatures. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng. 2008;31:541-50 pubmed publisher..The results showed that higher activities of oxidases are obtained at similar conditions. The exposition to high-temperatures and the variation of the time of exposition affected the enzymatic activity significantly. ..
- Castelnovo M, Evilevitch A. DNA ejection from bacteriophage: towards a general behavior for osmotic-suppression experiments. Eur Phys J E Soft Matter. 2007;24:9-18 pubmed..In particular we show that a simplified analytical model based on bending considerations only is able to account quantitatively for the experimental findings. Physical and biological consequences are discussed. ..
- Vass M, Diblikova I, Cernoch I, Franek M. ELISA for semicarbazide and its application for screening in food contamination. Anal Chim Acta. 2008;608:86-94 pubmed publisher..3%, respectively, with a coefficient of variation less than 15.5%. Respective detection capability and threshold of the assay for porcine muscle, set on the basis of acceptance of no false negative results, was 0.3 and 0.11 microgkg(-1). ..
- Zhang Y, Adeloju S. Flow injection-hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometric determination of selenium, arsenic and bismuth. Talanta. 2008;76:724-30 pubmed publisher..3% for Se, 3.6% for As and 4.7% for Bi, and has a sample throughput of 360 h(-1). Successful application of the method to the quantification of selenium, arsenic and bismuth in a certified reference river sediment sample is reported...
- Lourenço F, Kaneko T, Pinto T. Validation of erythromycin microbiological assay using an alternative experimental design. J AOAC Int. 2007;90:1107-10 pubmed..The 3 x 1 design proved to be adequate for the dosage of erythromycin and thus a good alternative for erythromycin assay. ..
- Ghavanini F, Le Poche H, Berg J, Saleem A, Kabir M, Lundgren P, et al. Compatibility assessment of CVD growth of carbon nanofibers on bulk CMOS devices. Nano Lett. 2008;8:2437-41 pubmed publisher..We report that the growth technique with the lowest temperature has the least impact on the transistor behavior. ..
- Rathore D. Advances in technologies for the measurement of uranium in diverse matrices. Talanta. 2008;77:9-20 pubmed publisher..Future trend and advances in lasers, miniaturization and automation via flow injection analysis (FIA) has been discussed. ..
- Berzas Nevado J, Rodriguez Martin Doimeadios R, Guzmán Bernardo F, Jiménez Moreno M. Determination of monomethylmercury in low- and high-polluted sediments by microwave extraction and gas chromatography with atomic fluorescence detection. Anal Chim Acta. 2008;608:30-7 pubmed publisher..Both steps can be combined if necessary. MMHg content has been found in good agreement with the certified value for the reference materials (IAEA-405 and ERM-CC580). ..
- Franzoi A, Dupont J, Spinelli A, Vieira I. Biosensor based on laccase and an ionic liquid for determination of rosmarinic acid in plant extracts. Talanta. 2009;77:1322-7 pubmed publisher..The BMIPF(6)-biosensor demonstrated long-term stability (300 days; 920 determinations) and reproducibility, with a relative standard deviation of 0.56%. ..
- Patra D, Ghaddar T. Application of synchronous fluorescence scan spectroscopy for size dependent simultaneous analysis of CdTe nanocrystals and their mixtures. Talanta. 2009;77:1549-54 pubmed publisher..Synchronous fluorescence maximum along with the second derivative can identify individual NCs in a mixture in water. The method is found to be simple, sensitive, selective and fast for NCs determination in aqueous media. ..
- Kim G, Kim K, Oh M, Sung Y. The detection of platelet derived growth factor using decoupling of quencher-oligonucleotide from aptamer/quantum dot bioconjugates. Nanotechnology. 2009;20:175503 pubmed publisher..Epidermal growth factor (EGF), the negative control molecule, did not contribute to PL recovery due to lack of binding affinity to the PDGF aptamers, which demonstrates the selectivity of the biosensor. ..
- Ganzera M. Recent advancements and applications in the analysis of traditional Chinese medicines. Planta Med. 2009;75:776-83 pubmed publisher..Selected examples for currently observable trends will be presented and briefly discussed so that the current status of TCM analysis is clearly visualized. ..
- Zidan A, Sammour O, Hammad M, Megrab N, Habib M, Khan M. Process analytical technology: non-destructive assessment of anastrozole entrapment within PLGA microparticles by near infrared spectroscopy and chemical imaging. J Microencapsul. 2008;25:145-53 pubmed..In addition, the NIR spectral imaging system provides a rapid approach for acquiring spatial and spectral information on microparticles. ..
- Orozco D, Skamarack J, Reins K, Titlow B, Lunetta S, Li F, et al. Determination of ubidecarenone (coenzyme Q10, ubiquinol-10) in raw materials and dietary supplements by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection: single-laboratory validation. J AOAC Int. 2007;90:1227-36 pubmed..8 and 100.9%. LOQ was found to be 9 microg/mL. Further, limited studies showed that some adulterants and degraded material could be satisfactorily separated from CoQ10 and identified. ..
- Babin Y, Fortier S. A high-throughput analytical method for determination of aminoglycosides in veal tissues by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry with automated cleanup. J AOAC Int. 2007;90:1418-26 pubmed..When compared to an LC method with fluorescence detection, the method gave equivalent results for kidneys incurred with neomycin. This rugged method has been applied to the analysis of more than 1000 veal samples over a 1-year period. ..
- Zheng Y, Liu B, Chen M, Chen T. Supercritical fluid extraction of ecdysterone from the roots of Achyranthes bidentata BL. J Sep Sci. 2008;31:1393-8 pubmed publisher..65 to 1.03 mg/g under the selected conditions. In comparison with methanol-modified supercritical CO(2 )and Soxhlet extraction, a higher yield was obtained when DMSO-modified supercritical CO(2) was used. ..
- Delatour T, Mottier P, Gremaud E. Limits of suspicion, recognition and confirmation as concepts that account for the confirmation transitions at the detection limit for quantification by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2007;1169:103-10 pubmed..For these three limits, applications and drawbacks are shown, while determination methods are proposed. ..
- Pérez B, del Valle M, Alegret S, Merkoçi A. Carbon nanofiber vs. carbon microparticles as modifiers of glassy carbon and gold electrodes applied in electrochemical sensing of NADH. Talanta. 2007;74:398-404 pubmed publisher..The shown differences in the electrochemical reactivities of CNF and CMP modified electrodes should be with interest for future applications in biosensors. ..
- Magnes C, Suppan M, Pieber T, Moustafa T, Trauner M, Haemmerle G, et al. Validated comprehensive analytical method for quantification of coenzyme A activated compounds in biological tissues by online solid-phase extraction LC/MS/MS. Anal Chem. 2008;80:5736-42 pubmed publisher..1% of estimated physiological levels in 200 mg of mouse tissue. Comparable results were obtained for mouse liver, mouse brown white adipose tissue and rat liver. For all investigated tissues, no matrix effect was observed. ..
- Szydłowska Czerniak A, Dianoczki C, Recseg K, Karlovits G, Szłyk E. Determination of antioxidant capacities of vegetable oils by ferric-ion spectrophotometric methods. Talanta. 2008;76:899-905 pubmed publisher..27 x 10(4), 1.11 x 10(4) and 2.62 x 10(4)dm(3)mol(-1)cm(-1)) for the proposed Phen and the modified FRAP methods, demonstrate the benefit of the Phen method in the routine analysis of antioxidant capacities of vegetable oils. ..
- Gardner P. Assay and characterization of the NO dioxygenase activity of flavohemoglobins. Methods Enzymol. 2008;436:217-37 pubmed publisher..14.12.17) activity and function of flavohemoglobins are described. The methods may also be applied to the discovery and design of inhibitors for use as antibiotics or as modulators of *NO signaling. ..
- Kim J, Weber N, Shin G, Huang Q, Liu S. The study of beta-lactoglobulin adsorption on polyethersulfone thin film surface using QCM-D and AFM. J Food Sci. 2007;72:E214-21 pubmed..The pH also played an important role in the protein adsorption. When the pH of the solution varied from 7.0 to 3.0, the amount of irreversible adsorption of beta-lactoglobulin increased from 427.1 +/- 80.7 to 741.2 +/- 135.1 ng/cm2. ..
- Bern A, Lowers H, Meeker G, Rosati J. Method development for analysis of urban dust using scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive X-ray spectrometry to detect the possible presence of World Trade Center dust constituents. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:1449-54 pubmed..Consistent sample preparation of reference materials and samples must be performed by each laboratory wishing to use this method to obtain meaningful and accurate results. ..
- Zhang S, Dong S, Chi L, He P, Wang Q, Fang Y. Simultaneous determination of flavonoids in chrysanthemum by capillary zone electrophoresis with running buffer modifiers. Talanta. 2008;76:780-4 pubmed publisher..Under the optimum conditions, a successful practical application on the determination of chrysanthemum samples confirmed the validity and practicability of this method. ..
- Singh N, Sharma R, Balapure A. pH regulated scavenging activity of beer antioxidants through modified DPPH assay. Toxicol Ind Health. 2007;23:75-81 pubmed..4 and 4.1, respectively) and physiological (7.3) pH employing this 'novel' assay system has been studied which indicates that pH is the key organizer of events in regulating the scavenging activity of AO. ..
- Byrdwell W. Dual parallel liquid chromatography with dual mass spectrometry (LC2/MS2) for a total lipid analysis. Front Biosci. 2008;13:100-20 pubmed..The dual liquid chromatography/dual mass spectrometry approach represents one of the most powerful tools for lipidomics analysis reported to date. ..
- Ricci F, Zari N, Caprio F, Recine S, Amine A, Moscone D, et al. Surface chemistry effects on the performance of an electrochemical DNA sensor. Bioelectrochemistry. 2009;76:208-13 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that a careful choice of co-adsorbate chemistry can lead to significant improvements in the performance of this broad class of electrochemical DNA sensors. ..
- Idris A. On-line coupling of solid-phase extraction, derivatization reaction and spectrophotometry by sequential injection analysis: application to trifluoperazine assay in human urine. J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods. 2007;56:330-5 pubmed..The method is selective in the presence of chlordiazepoxide, which is sometimes taken in combination with trifluoperazine. The method is suitable for the application of overdose and therapeutic drug monitoring in human urine. ..
- Zhang F, Zhang Q, Wang W, Zhu C, Wang X. The application and comparison of several chemometric methods of excitation-emission matrix spectra in studying the interactions of metal complexes with DNA. Anal Chim Acta. 2007;599:199-208 pubmed..Just like PARAFAC, both SVD-LS and SVD-NNLS are proven to be convenient and convincing in studying the interactions between nucleic acids and complexes. ..
- Xie H. Activity assay of membrane transport proteins. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2008;40:269-77 pubmed..In this paper the major strategies and techniques for activity assessment of membrane transport proteins are reviewed. ..
- Carratù B, Boniglia C, Giammarioli S, Mosca M, Sanzini E. Free amino acids in botanicals and botanical preparations. J Food Sci. 2008;73:C323-8 pubmed publisher..The levels of free amino acids above the quantification limit in 36 assayed samples of botanicals, extracts, and supplements are shown. ..