Genomes and Genes
Summary: The disappearance of responsiveness to a repeated stimulation. It does not include drug habituation.
- Asztalos Z, Arora N, Tully T. Olfactory jump reflex habituation in Drosophila and effects of classical conditioning mutations. J Neurogenet. 2007;21:1-18 pubmed..We also show that the dunce and rutabaga memory mutants behave abnormally in this assay, suggesting that this assay might be used in behavioral screens for new mutants with defects in this simpler form of behavioral plasticity...
- Blondeau C, Dellu Hagedorn F. Dimensional analysis of ADHD subtypes in rats. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;61:1340-50 pubmed..The nature of the biological dysfunction sustaining each subtype (common or distinct) is unknown, and animal models encompassing different subtypes are needed...
- Ozkul Y, Ay H. Habituation of sympathetic skin response in migraine and tension type headache. Auton Neurosci. 2007;134:81-4 pubmed..Mean amplitude changes in the second, third and fourth blocks are expressed as the percentages of the first block. In both headache groups, there was a lack of habituation compared to the control group. ..
- Sann C, Streri A. Inter-manual transfer of object texture and shape in human neonates. Neuropsychologia. 2008;46:698-703 pubmed..The discrepancies of performances between object properties are discussed in relation to the possibility of a different haptic processing of texture and shape in the newborn brain. ..
- Marin M, Cruz F, Planeta C. Chronic restraint or variable stresses differently affect the behavior, corticosterone secretion and body weight in rats. Physiol Behav. 2007;90:29-35 pubmed
- Sann C, Streri A. Perception of object shape and texture in human newborns: evidence from cross-modal transfer tasks. Dev Sci. 2007;10:399-410 pubmed..The findings provide evidence for continuity in the development of mechanisms for perceiving object properties. ..
- Gagliano H, Fuentes S, Nadal R, Armario A. Previous exposure to immobilisation and repeated exposure to a novel environment demonstrate a marked dissociation between behavioral and pituitary-adrenal responses. Behav Brain Res. 2008;187:239-45 pubmed..Second, progressive familiarisation of the animals with a novel environment resulting in apparently lower levels of motivation to explore did not appear to reduce the stressful properties of the situation as evaluated by ACTH release. ..
- Brighina F, Fierro B. Cortical hypoactivity or reduced efficiency of cortical inhibition in migraine?. Cephalalgia. 2007;27:187-8; author reply 188-9 pubmed
- Wright J, Meighan S, Murphy E, Holtfreter K, Davis C, Olson M, et al. Habituation of the head-shake response induces changes in brain matrix metalloproteinases-3 (MMP-3) and -9. Behav Brain Res. 2006;174:78-85 pubmed..However, cues present in the test environment appear to have provoked elevations in MMP-3 and -9 independent of those accompanying habituation. ..
- Hughes R. Neotic preferences in laboratory rodents: issues, assessment and substrates. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2007;31:441-64 pubmed
- Di Clemente L, Coppola G, Magis D, Fumal A, De Pasqua V, Di Piero V, et al. Interictal habituation deficit of the nociceptive blink reflex: an endophenotypic marker for presymptomatic migraine?. Brain. 2007;130:765-70 pubmed..Surprisingly, the most pronounced habituation deficit is found in asymptomatic individuals with a family history of migraine. Deficient nBR habituation could thus be a trait marker for the genetic predisposition to migraine. ..
- Rachamim L, Nacasch N, Shafran N, Tzur D, Gilboa Schechtman E. Exposure-based therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder in children and adults. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2009;46:274-81 pubmed..Finally, we discuss the open questions in the treatment of PTSD, and suggest some ideas for future research. ..
- Mysore S, Asadollahi A, Knudsen E. Global inhibition and stimulus competition in the owl optic tectum. J Neurosci. 2010;30:1727-38 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that this global, cross-modal inhibition, which acts automatically in a bottom-up manner even in sedated animals, is critical to the creation of a map of stimulus salience in the optic tectum...
- Moriwaki M, Kishi T, Takahashi H, Hashimoto R, Kawashima K, Okochi T, et al. Prepulse inhibition of the startle response with chronic schizophrenia: a replication study. Neurosci Res. 2009;65:259-62 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we were able to replicate the finding of HAB impairment and PPI deficit in chronic Japanese schizophrenic patients. ..
- Tawashy A, Eng J, Krassioukov A, Warburton D, Ashe M, Hung C. Screening and habituation of functional electrical stimulation-leg cycle ergometry for individuals with spinal cord injury: a pilot study. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2008;32:164-70 pubmed publisher..Although the habituation phase was time-consuming for most of the participants who were able to use the FES-LCE, all reported few adverse effects to using the device once they completed this phase of training. ..
- Diaz Granados J, Graham D. The effects of continuous and intermittent ethanol exposure in adolesence on the aversive properties of ethanol during adulthood. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2007;31:2020-7 pubmed..It is suggested that this age-related effect may underlie the increased susceptibility to alcohol-related problems which is negatively correlated with the age of onset for alcohol abuse. ..
- Zhang M, Cai J. Neonatal tactile stimulation enhances spatial working memory, prefrontal long-term potentiation, and D1 receptor activation in adult rats. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2008;89:397-406 pubmed..These data indicate that in early life, external tactile stimulation leads to long-term facilitative effects in SWM-related neural function. ..
- Li N, Ping J, Wu R, Wang C, Wu X, Li L. Auditory fear conditioning modulates prepulse inhibition in socially reared rats and isolation-reared rats. Behav Neurosci. 2008;122:107-18 pubmed publisher..Thus, isolation rearing impairs not only PPI but also the AFC-induced PPI enhancement, which depends on mGluR5 activity. This study advances the animal model for investigating both neural bases and cognitive features of schizophrenia. ..
- Mandolesi L, De Bartolo P, Foti F, Gelfo F, Federico F, Leggio M, et al. Environmental enrichment provides a cognitive reserve to be spent in the case of brain lesion. J Alzheimers Dis. 2008;15:11-28 pubmed..Thus, rearing in an enriched environment results in the development of brain and cognitive reserves that reduce the cognitive impairment following forebrain lesions. ..
- Putzki N, Graf K, Stude P, Diener H, Maschke M. Habituation of the auditory startle response in cervical dystonia and Parkinson's disease. Eur Neurol. 2008;59:172-8 pubmed publisher..Normal latencies and sequence activation indicate intact neural pathways mediating the ASR in FD. Impaired habituation of the ASR points towards a reduced inhibition of acoustic stimuli in FD. ..
- Miranda M, Ortiz Godina F, García D. Differential involvement of cholinergic and beta-adrenergic systems during acquisition, consolidation, and retrieval of long-term memory of social and neutral odors. Behav Brain Res. 2009;202:19-25 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the beta-adrenergic system could play an important role in memory recognition for familiar odors, regardless of the sexual/social or neutral content of the stimuli. ..
- Perrotta A, Serrao M, Sandrini G, Bogdanova D, Tassorelli C, Bartolo M, et al. Reduced habituation of trigeminal reflexes in patients with episodic cluster headache during cluster period. Cephalalgia. 2008;28:950-9 pubmed publisher..The lack of habituation in CH, more pronounced than in migraine, points to abnormal processing of sensory stimuli at the trigeminal level that could be driven by hypothalamic dysfunction during the cluster period...
- Figueiredo B, Pacheco A, Costa R, Conde A, Teixeira C. Mother's anxiety and depression during the third pregnancy trimester and neonate's mother versus stranger's face/voice visual preference. Early Hum Dev. 2010;86:479-85 pubmed publisher..Infants exposed to mother's anxiety/depression at the third gestational trimester exhibit less perceptual/social competencies at birth. ..
- Schmid S, Brown T, Simons Weidenmaier N, Weber M, Fendt M. Group III metabotropic glutamate receptors inhibit startle-mediating giant neurons in the caudal pontine reticular nucleus but do not mediate synaptic depression/short-term habituation of startle. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10422-30 pubmed publisher..This is in contrast to the role of mGluRIIIs in other forms of habituation and supports the notion that there are different mechanisms involved in habituation of sensory-evoked behaviors. ..
- Pence S, Sulkowski M, Jordan C, Storch E. When exposures go wrong: troubleshooting guidelines for managing difficult scenarios that arise in exposure-based treatment for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Am J Psychother. 2010;64:39-53 pubmed..The goal of this paper is to bridge the gap between treatment theory and practical implementation issues encountered by therapists providing CBT for OCD. ..
- Goswami N, Lackner H, Papousek I, Jezova D, Hinghofer Szalkay H, Montani J. Rate of cardiovascular recovery to combined or separate orthostatic and mental challenges. Int J Psychophysiol. 2010;75:54-62 pubmed publisher..This may have clinical implications in the development of cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension or myocardial ischemia. ..
- Pruis T, Roalf D, Janowsky J. Hormone therapy does not modify emotion-induced brain activity in older women. Horm Behav. 2009;56:539-47 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that hormone therapy does not modify emotion-induced brain activity, or its persistence, in older women. ..
- Epstein L, Temple J, Roemmich J, Bouton M. Habituation as a determinant of human food intake. Psychol Rev. 2009;116:384-407 pubmed publisher..Finally, new directions for habituation research are presented. Habituation provides a novel theoretical framework from which to understand factors that regulate ingestive behavior. ..
- Gourévitch B, Eggermont J. Spectro-temporal sound density-dependent long-term adaptation in cat primary auditory cortex. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;27:3310-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that low stimulus rates may produce a specific acoustic environment that shapes the primary auditory cortex through very different processing than for spectro-temporally more dense and complex sounds. ..
- Perone S, Madole K, Ross Sheehy S, Carey M, Oakes L. The relation between infants' activity with objects and attention to object appearance. Dev Psychol. 2008;44:1242-8 pubmed publisher..Implications for the relation between perception and action in infancy are discussed. ( ..
- Finlay C, Forsyth J. Context and renewal of conditioned fear: an experimental evaluation using 20% carbon dioxide-enriched air as an unconditioned stimulus. J Anxiety Disord. 2009;23:737-45 pubmed publisher..This effect was modest for electrodermal responses, but reasonably robust for evaluative responses. The role of context in the subsequent renewal of fear following exposure-based treatment is discussed. ..
- Yamawaki Y, Toh Y. Responses of descending neurons to looming stimuli in the praying mantis Tenodera aridifolia. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol. 2009;195:253-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that there is a looming-sensitive descending neuron, with an axon projecting over prothoracic ganglion, in the mantis nervous system...
- Pankevich D, Bale T. Stress and sex influences on food-seeking behaviors. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:1539-44 pubmed publisher..Sex differences in the role stress plays in these behaviors may provide insight into underlying mechanisms related to an increased obesity risk. ..
- Arias C, Molina J, Mlewski E, Pautassi R, Spear N. Acute sensitivity and acute tolerance to ethanol in preweanling rats with or without prenatal experience with the drug. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2008;89:608-22 pubmed publisher..In addition, moderate prenatal ethanol exposure was sufficient to induce hyper-reactivity in the offspring without affecting habituation. ..
- Sasaki H, Hanamoto A. Shock sensitization and fear potentiation of auditory startle response in hamsters. Percept Mot Skills. 2007;105:862-71 pubmed..Further, neural mechanisms underlying enhancement of the auditory startle response seem not to be responsible for the deficit of prepulse inhibition in hamsters. ..
- Morokuma S, Doria V, Ierullo A, Kinukawa N, Fukushima K, Nakano H, et al. Developmental change in fetal response to repeated low-intensity sound. Dev Sci. 2008;11:47-52 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that fetal habituation of cardiac response changes with developmental age. ..
- Yoon E, Humphreys G, Riddoch M. The paired-object affordance effect. J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform. 2010;36:812-24 pubmed publisher..The results can be interpreted within a dual-route framework for action retrieval in which a direct visual route is influenced by affordances for action. ..
- Kunar M, Flusberg S, Wolfe J. The role of memory and restricted context in repeated visual search. Percept Psychophys. 2008;70:314-28 pubmed..However, when the visual search task is given context, so that only a subset of the items are ever pertinent, participants can learn to restrict their attention to the relevant stimuli (Experiments 5 and 6). ..
- Day H, Masini C, Campeau S. Reversible inactivation of the auditory thalamus disrupts HPA axis habituation to repeated loud noise stress exposures. Brain Res. 2009;1276:123-30 pubmed publisher..Importantly, habituation to repeated loud noise exposures was also prevented by reversible auditory thalamic inactivation, suggesting that this form of plasticity is likely mediated at, or in targets of, the auditory thalamus. ..
- Leussis M, Frayne M, Saito M, Berry E, Aldinger K, Rockwell G, et al. Genomic survey of prepulse inhibition in mouse chromosome substitution strains. Genes Brain Behav. 2009;8:806-16 pubmed publisher..Identification of genes that modulate PPI will provide insight into the neural mechanisms underlying sensorimotor gating, as well as the psychopathology of disorders characterized by gating deficits. ..
- Gonzalez Gonzalez N, Medina V, Padron E, Domenech E, Diaz Gomez N, Armas H, et al. Fetal and neonatal habituation in infants of diabetic mothers. J Pediatr. 2009;154:492-7 pubmed publisher..Fetuses and infants of diabetic mothers have impaired habituation ability, which is related to the degree of maternal metabolic control. ..
- Redgrave P, Rodriguez M, Smith Y, Rodriguez Oroz M, Lehericy S, Bergman H, et al. Goal-directed and habitual control in the basal ganglia: implications for Parkinson's disease. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2010;11:760-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, many of their behavioural difficulties may reflect a loss of normal automatic control owing to distorting output signals from habitual control circuits, which impede the expression of goal-directed action. ..