Genomes and Genes
Summary: The study of the anatomical and functional relationships between the nervous system and the endocrine system.
- Modlin I, Champaneria M, Bornschein J, Kidd M. Evolution of the diffuse neuroendocrine system--clear cells and cloudy origins. Neuroendocrinology. 2006;84:69-82 pubmed..Their key role in the regulation of gastrointestinal function is, however, indubitable...
- Pervanidou P, Chrousos G. Neuroendocrinology of post-traumatic stress disorder. Prog Brain Res. 2010;182:149-60 pubmed publisher..Chronically disturbed hormones in PTSD may contribute to brain changes and further emotional and behavior symptoms and disorders, as well as to an increased cardiometabolic risk. ..
- Crews D, Moore M. Historical contributions of research on reptiles to behavioral neuroendocrinology. Horm Behav. 2005;48:384-94 pubmed..research resumed using techniques current at the time, but it was not until the mid-1970s that behavioral neuroendocrinology "discovered" reptiles as animal model systems...
- Cockrem J. Conservation and behavioral neuroendocrinology. Horm Behav. 2005;48:492-501 pubmed..Behavioral neuroendocrinology, which considers interactions between behavior and neuroendocrine function in animals from all vertebrate ..
- Vasudevan N, Pfaff D. Membrane-initiated actions of estrogens in neuroendocrinology: emerging principles. Endocr Rev. 2007;28:1-19 pubmed..The idea of synergistic coupling between membrane-initiated and genomic actions of hormones fundamentally revises the paradigms of cell signaling in neuroendocrinology.
- Koolhaas J, de Boer S, Coppens C, Buwalda B. Neuroendocrinology of coping styles: towards understanding the biology of individual variation. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2010;31:307-21 pubmed publisher..It is argued that a careful exploitation of the broad natural and biologically functional individual variation in behavior and physiology may help in developing better animal models for understanding individual disease vulnerability. ..
- Konturek S, Zabielski R, Konturek J, Czarnecki J. Neuroendocrinology of the pancreas; role of brain-gut axis in pancreatic secretion. Eur J Pharmacol. 2003;481:1-14 pubmed..The aim of this review is to highlight the interaction of nerves and enterohormones in the regulation of exocrine pancreatic secretion. ..
- Leng G, MacGregor D. Mathematical modelling in neuroendocrinology. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:713-8 pubmed publisherIn neuroendocrinology, mathematical modelling is about formalising our understanding of the behaviour of the complex biological systems with which we deal...
- Ball G, Riters L, Balthazart J. Neuroendocrinology of song behavior and avian brain plasticity: multiple sites of action of sex steroid hormones. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2002;23:137-78 pubmed
- Crews D. Epigenetics and its implications for behavioral neuroendocrinology. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2008;29:344-57 pubmed publisher..Several distinctions must be made if this research is to become a staple in behavioral neuroendocrinology. The first distinction concerns perspective, and the need to distinguish and appreciate, the differences ..
- Khan A, Hahn J, Cheng W, Watts A, Burns G. NeuroScholar's electronic laboratory notebook and its application to neuroendocrinology. Neuroinformatics. 2006;4:139-62 pubmed..We present this application to the community as open-source software and invite contributions to its development. ..
- Schlinger B, Day L, Fusani L. Behavior, natural history and neuroendocrinology of a tropical bird. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;157:254-8 pubmed publisher..Our studies have shown that manakin courtship requires a series of morphological and physiological specializations and represents an exceptional model system for studying the hormonal control of elaborate courtship displays. ..
- Rissman E. Roles of oestrogen receptors alpha and beta in behavioural neuroendocrinology: beyond Yin/Yang. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:873-9 pubmed publisher..Future studies on all of these topics will inform us about how ER selective ligands might affect oestrogen functions at the organismal level. ..
- Opie L. The neuroendocrinology of congestive heart failure. Cardiovasc J S Afr. 2002;13:171-8 pubmed..Current therapies of heart failure are largely based on inhibition of the neuroendocrine response. ..
- Sherwood N, Tello J, Roch G. Neuroendocrinology of protochordates: insights from Ciona genomics. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2006;144:254-71 pubmed..Other neuroendocrine components that have been annotated in the genome are a multitude of receptors, which are available for cloning, expression and functional studies. ..
- Champaneria M, Modlin I, Kidd M, Eick G. Friedrich Feyrter: a precise intellect in a diffuse system. Neuroendocrinology. 2006;83:394-404 pubmed..We describe the life and times of this gifted scientist, teacher, and pathologist, often referred to as the 'Father of Neuroendocrinology'.
- Swain J, Kim P, Ho S. Neuroendocrinology of parental response to baby-cry. J Neuroendocrinol. 2011;23:1036-41 pubmed publisher..Work in this field promises to link evolving models of parental brain performance with resilience, risk and treatment toward mother-infant mental health. ..
- Horowski R. A history of dopamine agonists. From the physiology and pharmacology of dopamine to therapies for prolactinomas and Parkinson's disease - a subjective view. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2007;114:127-34 pubmed
- Zarate A, Saucedo R, Hernandez M. [How the studies of the reproduction process contributed to the appearance of neuroendocrinology]. Ginecol Obstet Mex. 2006;74:383-8 pubmed..By this way, it was possible to go into the processes involved in reproduction. This was the origin of neuroendocrinology, gestated by investigations made in the reproduction of animals, including man...
- Ghigo E, Broglio F, Me E, Prodam F, Ragazzoni F. Ghrelin: more than a new frontier in neuroendocrinology. J Endocrinol Invest. 2004;27:101-4 pubmed
- Juhlin P. [Neuroendocrine tests could prove somatization]. Lakartidningen. 2004;101:1545 pubmed
- Dunn A. Psychoneuroimmunology for the psychoneuroendocrinologist: a review of animal studies of nervous system-immune system interactions. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1989;14:251-74 pubmed..The cerebral responses suggest that the brain can monitor the progress of immune responses. IL-1 and the glucocorticoids together may form a regulatory feedback mechanism for immune responses. ..
- . Bruce S. McEwen: Awards for Distinguished Scientific Contributions. Am Psychol. 2003;58:848-51 pubmed
- Pfaff D, Levine J. Reconciling molecular neuroendocrine signals and the scientists who study them. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2008;29:167-8 pubmed
- Klowden M. Contributions of insect research toward our understanding of neurosecretion. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2003;53:101-14 pubmed..The gradual acceptance of neurosecretion as a biological phenomenon, largely as a result of research done with insects, is discussed. ..
- Andrews J, D Aguiar C, Pruessner J. The combined dexamethasone/TSST paradigm--a new method for psychoneuroendocrinology. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38994 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose this paradigm as a new method to investigate the interaction of the two major stress systems in the regulation of the stress response. ..
- de Kloet E. About stress hormones and resilience to psychopathology. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:885-92 pubmed publisherb>Neuroendocrinology links experience and behaviour to the action of hormones...
- Ursin H. The psychology in psychoneuroendocrinology. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1998;23:555-70 pubmed..Finally, the PNE positions outlined in 1968 by Mason is revisited. The 30 years of PNE research that followed confirm and expand his conclusions. ..
- Zhuo Q. [Advances in the study of neuroendocrinological regulation of kisspeptin in fish reproduction]. Dongwuxue Yanjiu. 2013;34:519-30 pubmed
- Matsunaga H. [Perspectives on obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorders and its trends for the revision of DSM-5]. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2011;113:985-91 pubmed..Studies have investigated the relevant neurocircuitry, neurochemistry, and neuroendocrinology underlying anxiety disorders and OCSDs, and have explored the underlying genetic basis of and relevant ..
- Correll C. Understanding schizoaffective disorder: from psychobiology to psychosocial functioning. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71 Suppl 2:8-13 pubmed publisher..These data, although inconclusive, contribute to clinicians' understanding of the etiology of the disorder. Further research may lead to an increased understanding of the disorder, improved treatment, and, ultimately, better outcomes. ..
- Nässel D, Orchard I. Insect neuroendocrinology in the post-genomic era. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2007;153:57-8 pubmed
- Kageyama N. [History of pituitary surgery]. No To Shinkei. 2002;54:565-73 pubmed
- Fedor Freybergh P. Bridging the gap. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2003;24:386-8 pubmed
- Grimelius L. Silver stains demonstrating neuroendocrine cells. Biotech Histochem. 2004;79:37-44 pubmed..The silver stains were developed empirically, and with few exceptions the chemical background is not known. Staining protocols are included. ..
- Lupien S, Maheu F, Tu M, Fiocco A, Schramek T. The effects of stress and stress hormones on human cognition: Implications for the field of brain and cognition. Brain Cogn. 2007;65:209-37 pubmed
- Ur E, Serri O, Legg K, Murphy L, Ezzat S. Canadian guidelines for the management of adult growth hormone deficiency. Clin Invest Med. 2006;29:83-90 pubmed..The authors provide recommendations for the identification of adult GHD, and guidelines for GH replacement in appropriate patients. Also, access to GH therapy across Canada is reviewed. ..
- Moore F, Boyd S, Kelley D. Historical perspective: Hormonal regulation of behaviors in amphibians. Horm Behav. 2005;48:373-83 pubmed..These rapid stress-induced changes in behaviors use non-genomic mechanisms and membrane-associated corticosterone receptors. ..
- Wingfield J. Historical contributions of research on birds to behavioral neuroendocrinology. Horm Behav. 2005;48:395-402 pubmedThe contributions from bird research to behavioral neuroendocrinology are enormous and wide ranging...
- Hruby R, Maas L, Fedor Freybergh P. Early brain development toward shaping of human mind: an integrative psychoneurodevelopmental model in prenatal and perinatal medicine. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2013;34:447-63 pubmed..Another field of critical importance is psychoimmuno-neuroendocrinology. Various effects of glucocorticoids as well as other hormones, prenatal stress and fetal HPA axis modulation ..
- Russell J. Neuroendocrinology with feeling. J Neuroendocrinol. 2002;14:1-3 pubmed
- Pack A, Reddy D, Duncan S, Herzog A. Neuroendocrinological aspects of epilepsy: important issues and trends in future research. Epilepsy Behav. 2011;22:94-102 pubmed publisher..The differential effects of antiepileptic drugs on bone density and their various mechanisms of action are reviewed and some guidelines and future directions for prevention of osteoporosis and treatment are presented. ..
- Shaliapina V. [Neuroendocrinology in the Jubilee Year (on the materials of conference "Neuroendocrinology-2003"]. Usp Fiziol Nauk. 2004;35:86-92 pubmed
- Hofmann H. The neuroendocrine action potential. Winner of the 2008 Frank Beach Award in Behavioral Neuroendocrinology. Horm Behav. 2010;58:555-62 pubmed publisher..This framework provides a novel outlook on longstanding questions in behavioral neuroendocrinology and suggests exciting new avenues for further research that will integrate across disciplines and levels of ..
- Elliott R, Sands S, Strom R, Wisoff J. Craniopharyngioma Clinical Status Scale: a standardized metric of preoperative function and posttreatment outcome. Neurosurg Focus. 2010;28:E2 pubmed publisher..Long-term follow-up is critical to the analysis of outcomes of craniopharyngioma treatment, given the often-delayed sequelae of all therapies and the high recurrence rates of these tumors. ..
- Paus R, Arck P, Tiede S. (Neuro-)endocrinology of epithelial hair follicle stem cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008;288:38-51 pubmed publisher..These considerations call for a concerted research effort to dissect the (neuro-)endocrinology of HFeSCs much more systematically than before. ..
- At the "Year In Neuroendocrinology" session during the 2009 meeting of The Endocrine Society, I highlighted recent progress in three main areas of neuroendocrinology: neural mechanisms of action of estradiol, GnRH regulation, ..
- Akmaev I. [Neuroimmunoendocrinology: beginning and prospective development]. Usp Fiziol Nauk. 2003;34:4-15 pubmed..Taking the latter into consideration the opportunity is discussed, suggesting that breakage of those would result in various kinds of disregulatory pathology including autoimmune one. ..
- Arnold A. The organizational-activational hypothesis as the foundation for a unified theory of sexual differentiation of all mammalian tissues. Horm Behav. 2009;55:570-8 pubmed publisher..To integrate the classic organizational and activational effects with the more recently discovered sex chromosome effects, we propose a unified theory of sexual differentiation that applies to all mammalian tissues. ..
- Kvetnoy I. Neuroimmunoendocrinology: where is the field for study?. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2002;23:119-20 pubmed
- Tixier Vidal A. [André Calas, the original path of a neuroendocrinologist]. J Soc Biol. 2009;203:7-18 pubmed publisher..This talk, given as an introduction to a symposium organised to honor André Calas, calls forth his personality, recalls the major events in his career and summarizes the evolution of his research. ..