Genomes and Genes
Summary: Study of the anatomy of the nervous system as a specialty or discipline.
- Cechetto D, Shoemaker J. Functional neuroanatomy of autonomic regulation. Neuroimage. 2009;47:795-803 pubmed publisher..In spite of the very different approaches taken to visceral activation in functional imaging studies, a consistent picture of the key areas involved in autonomic control has emerged. ..
- Lencer R, Trillenberg P. Neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of smooth pursuit in humans. Brain Cogn. 2008;68:219-28 pubmed publisher..Applying this approach to neurological and also mental illness can reveal distinct disturbances within neural networks being present in these disorders and also the impact of medication on this circuitry. ..
- Krontiris Litowitz J. Using truncated lectures, conceptual exercises, and manipulatives to improve learning in the neuroanatomy classroom. Adv Physiol Educ. 2008;32:152-6 pubmed publisherFunctional Neuroanatomy is a course designed to help students learn the function and anatomy of the human nervous system...
- French L, Pavlidis P. Using text mining to link journal articles to neuroanatomical databases. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:1772-83 pubmed publisher..The training data, terminologies, normalizations, evaluations, and annotated journal abstracts are freely available at http://www.chibi.ubc.ca/WhiteText/. ..
- Di Paola M, Spalletta G, Caltagirone C. In vivo structural neuroanatomy of corpus callosum in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment using different MRI techniques: a review. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20:67-95 pubmed publisher..Instead, the myelin breakdown process affects the later-myelinating CC subregion and explains the earlier involvement of the genu in CC atrophy. ..
- Strauss J, Lakes Harlan R. Neuroanatomy of the complex tibial organ in the splay-footed cricket Comicus calcaris Irish 1986 (Orthoptera: Ensifera: Schizodactylidae). J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:4567-80 pubmed publisher..Spatial orientation of neurons in the crista acustica homolog is not reminiscent of auditory structures, and the neuroanatomy is discussed with respect to stridulation behavior and the evolutionary origin of hearing in Ensifera.
- Spreng R, Mar R. I remember you: a role for memory in social cognition and the functional neuroanatomy of their interaction. Brain Res. 2012;1428:43-50 pubmed publisher..The shared functional neuroanatomy of these processes has been demonstrated in a meta-analysis of independent task domains (Spreng, Mar & Kim, ..
- Sharpe J. Neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of smooth pursuit: lesion studies. Brain Cogn. 2008;68:241-54 pubmed publisher..The anatomical and physiological bases of defective smooth pursuit are discussed here in the context of the effects of lesion in the human brain. ..
- Prodanov D, Nagelkerke N, Marani E. Spatial clustering analysis in neuroanatomy: applications of different approaches to motor nerve fiber distribution. J Neurosci Methods. 2007;160:93-108 pubmed..Results revealed clustering of the motor fibers innervating the gastrocnemius muscle at the level of the L6 ventral spinal root. The analysis was validated using Voronoi tessellation and nearest neighbor analysis. ..
- Müri R, Nyffeler T. Neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of reflexive and volitional saccades as revealed by lesion studies with neurological patients and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). Brain Cogn. 2008;68:284-92 pubmed publisherThis review discusses the neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of the cortical control of reflexive and volitional saccades in humans...
- Cui H, Sohn J, Gautron L, Funahashi H, Williams K, Elmquist J, et al. Neuroanatomy of melanocortin-4 receptor pathway in the lateral hypothalamic area. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:4168-83 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into MC4R signaling in the LHA and its potential implications in homeostatic regulation of body energy balance. ..
- Talos I, Rubin D, Halle M, Musen M, Kikinis R. A prototype symbolic model of canonical functional neuroanatomy of the motor system. J Biomed Inform. 2008;41:251-63 pubmed publisher..We have developed a prototype symbolic model of canonical neuroanatomy of the motor system...
- Rosenbloom M, Schmahmann J, Price B. The functional neuroanatomy of decision-making. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2012;24:266-77 pubmed publisher..Finally, clinical relevance of this circuitry is illustrated through a discussion of frontotemporal dementia, traumatic brain injury, and sociopathy. ..
- Man K, Kaplan J, Damasio H, Damasio A. Neural convergence and divergence in the mammalian cerebral cortex: from experimental neuroanatomy to functional neuroimaging. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:4097-111 pubmed publisher..The evidence reviewed here suggests the need for further in-depth exploration of the intricate connectivity of the mammalian cerebral cortex in experimental neuroanatomical studies. ..
- Harms L, Cowin G, Eyles D, Kurniawan N, McGrath J, Burne T. Neuroanatomy and psychomimetic-induced locomotion in C57BL/6J and 129/X1SvJ mice exposed to developmental vitamin D deficiency. Behav Brain Res. 2012;230:125-31 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that not only species, but also strain of mouse, moderates the impact of DVD deficiency on neuroanatomical and behavioural phenotypes in rodent animal models. ..
- Helmstaedter M, Briggman K, Denk W. High-accuracy neurite reconstruction for high-throughput neuroanatomy. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1081-8 pubmed publisher..Focused reannotation of difficult locations promises a rather steep increase of reliability as a function of the average skeleton redundancy and thus the nearly error-free analysis of large neuroanatomical datasets. ..
- Zhu H, Li J, Nolan T, Schad G, Lok J. Sensory neuroanatomy of Parastrongyloides trichosuri, a nematode parasite of mammals: Amphidial neurons of the first-stage larva. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:2493-507 pubmed publisher..As a basis for comparative study, we have described the neuroanatomy of the amphidial sensillae of P. trichosuri...
- Fusar Poli P, Borgwardt S, Crescini A, Deste G, Kempton M, Lawrie S, et al. Neuroanatomy of vulnerability to psychosis: a voxel-based meta-analysis. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2011;35:1175-85 pubmed publisher..Baseline GM reductions in superior temporal and inferior frontal areas are associated with later transition to psychosis. ..
- Estevez M, Lindgren K, Bergethon P. A novel three-dimensional tool for teaching human neuroanatomy. Anat Sci Educ. 2010;3:309-17 pubmed publisherThree-dimensional (3D) visualization of neuroanatomy can be challenging for medical students...
- Jenett A, Schindelin J, Heisenberg M. The Virtual Insect Brain protocol: creating and comparing standardized neuroanatomy. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:544 pubmed..Although the VIB protocol has been developed for the standardization of Drosophila neuroanatomy, the program structure can be used for the standardization of other 3D structures as well...
- Dere E, Huston J, de Souza Silva M. The pharmacology, neuroanatomy and neurogenetics of one-trial object recognition in rodents. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2007;31:673-704 pubmed
- Morsella E, Krieger S, Bargh J. Minimal neuroanatomy for a conscious brain: homing in on the networks constituting consciousness. Neural Netw. 2010;23:14-5 pubmed publisher..This 'brutally reductionistic' approach may isolate the physical basis of consciousness; even its falsification would help to illuminate this enigma. ..
- McDowell J, Dyckman K, Austin B, Clementz B. Neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of reflexive and volitional saccades: evidence from studies of humans. Brain Cogn. 2008;68:255-70 pubmed publisher..g., lesions and neuroimaging) primates. Considerable knowledge of this system's functional neuroanatomy makes it useful for investigating models of cognitive control...
- Jones E. Neuroanatomy: Cajal and after Cajal. Brain Res Rev. 2007;55:248-55 pubmed..of degeneration-based techniques of tracing connections in the late 1950s spearheaded a revolution in neuroanatomy while introduction of mixed aldehyde fixation made possible similarly intensive studies of the fine structure ..
- Svirko E, Mellanby J. Attitudes to e-learning, learning style and achievement in learning neuroanatomy by medical students. Med Teach. 2008;30:e219-27 pubmed publisher..2001) 2F-SPQ-R, for a computer-aided learning (CAL) course in Neuroanatomy with that for their studies in general...
- Cheng Y, Chou K, Decety J, Chen I, Hung D, Tzeng O, et al. Sex differences in the neuroanatomy of human mirror-neuron system: a voxel-based morphometric investigation. Neuroscience. 2009;158:713-20 pubmed publisher..It remains to be clarified, however, whether the neuroanatomy underlying the human mirror neuron system exhibits sex differences...
- Shadmehr R, Krakauer J. A computational neuroanatomy for motor control. Exp Brain Res. 2008;185:359-81 pubmed publisher..Finally, functions of the primary and the premotor cortices are related to implementing the optimal control policy by transforming beliefs about proprioceptive and visual states, respectively, into motor commands. ..
- Rousseaux M, Honoré J, Vuilleumier P, Saj A. Neuroanatomy of space, body, and posture perception in patients with right hemisphere stroke. Neurology. 2013;81:1291-7 pubmed publisher..The lesions involved in representation biases (especially of the SV) and postural difficulties overlapped to some extent in the temporoparietal, superior temporal, and posterior insular regions of the cortex. ..
- Tramo M, Cariani P, Koh C, Makris N, Braida L. Neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of pitch perception: auditory cortex. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1060:148-74 pubmed..Studies motivated by interest in the neurophysiology and neuroanatomy of music perception have helped correct longstanding misconceptions about the functional role of auditory ..
- Svoboda E, McKinnon M, Levine B. The functional neuroanatomy of autobiographical memory: a meta-analysis. Neuropsychologia. 2006;44:2189-208 pubmed..Investigators have recently turned their attention to the functional neuroanatomy of AM...
- Osumi Sutherland D, Reeve S, Mungall C, Neuhaus F, Ruttenberg A, Jefferis G, et al. A strategy for building neuroanatomy ontologies. Bioinformatics. 2012;28:1262-9 pubmed publisher..obolibrary.org/obo/ro.owl. They are used in the Drosophila anatomy ontology (http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/fbbt/2011-09-06/), which drives the web resource http://www.virtualflybrain.org ..
- Zanchin G, De Caro R. The nervous system in colours: the tabulae pictae of G.F. d'Acquapendente (ca. 1533-1619). J Headache Pain. 2006;7:360-6 pubmed..Cerebri Nervorum, deals with the nervous system and contains the only known illustrations by Fabrici regarding neuroanatomy. Despite the realisation of this splendid collection of 21 coloured paintings, neither a systematic description ..
- Pouratian N, Bookheimer S. The reliability of neuroanatomy as a predictor of eloquence: a review. Neurosurg Focus. 2010;28:E3 pubmed publisher..Perhaps most importantly, an individualized approach to mapping patients with brain tumors ensures that the risk of iatrogenic functional injury is minimized while maximizing the extent of resection. ..
- Braun K. The prefrontal-limbic system: development, neuroanatomy, function, and implications for socioemotional development. Clin Perinatol. 2011;38:685-702 pubmed publisher..The hope is that the translational relevance of research efforts can be improved through a greater interaction between basic and clinical scientists. ..
- Clemens B, Zvyagintsev M, Sack A, Sack A, Heinecke A, Willmes K, et al. Revealing the functional neuroanatomy of intrinsic alertness using fMRI: methodological peculiarities. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25453 pubmed publisher..The primary objective of this fMRI study was to map the functional neuroanatomy of intrinsic alertness as precisely as possible in healthy participants, using a novel assessment paradigm ..
- Watakabe A. Comparative molecular neuroanatomy of mammalian neocortex: what can gene expression tell us about areas and layers?. Dev Growth Differ. 2009;51:343-54 pubmed publisher..In this review, I discuss the recent findings in our laboratory in light of the past and present knowledge about cortical cell types, which provides insight to the homology (and lack thereof) of the mammalian neocortical organization. ..
- Kerr K, Agster K, Furtak S, Burwell R. Functional neuroanatomy of the parahippocampal region: the lateral and medial entorhinal areas. Hippocampus. 2007;17:697-708 pubmed..It is hoped that these findings will inform future studies of the role of the EC in learning and memory. ..
- Dymecki S, Kim J. Molecular neuroanatomy's "Three Gs": a primer. Neuron. 2007;54:17-34 pubmed
- Pérez Escudero A, de Polavieja G. Optimally wired subnetwork determines neuroanatomy of Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17180-5 pubmed..In general, we expect realistic networks not to be globally optimal in wire cost. We thus propose the strategy of using near-optimal subnetworks to understand neuroanatomical structure. ..
- Palaniyappan L, Balain V, Liddle P. The neuroanatomy of psychotic diathesis: a meta-analytic review. J Psychiatr Res. 2012;46:1249-56 pubmed publisher..Grey matter abnormalities in multimodal brain regions that have a supervisory function are likely to be central to the expression of the clinical symptoms of schizophrenia. ..
- Marquand A, Mourao Miranda J, Brammer M, Cleare A, Fu C. Neuroanatomy of verbal working memory as a diagnostic biomarker for depression. Neuroreport. 2008;19:1507-11 pubmed publisherThe functional neuroanatomy of verbal working memory is a potential diagnostic biomarker for depression. Twenty patients with unipolar depression and 20 healthy controls performed a variable load version (n-back) of the task...
- Kohl J, Jefferis G. Neuroanatomy: decoding the fly brain. Curr Biol. 2011;21:R19-20 pubmed publisher..One study has labelled 16,000 individual neurons and generated a coarse wiring diagram of the whole fly brain, identifying subnetworks that may carry out local information processing. ..
- Szabadi E. Functional neuroanatomy of the central noradrenergic system. J Psychopharmacol. 2013;27:659-93 pubmed publisher..LC neurones degenerate early and progressively in Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, leading to cognitive impairment, depression and sleep disturbance. ..
- Vein A, Maat Schieman M. Famous Russian brains: historical attempts to understand intelligence. Brain. 2008;131:583-90 pubmed publisher..The (re)discovery of the records of the brain autopsies is meaningful, maybe not so much from a neuroanatomical point of view as from a historical perspective. ..
- Arenkiel B, Ehlers M. Molecular genetics and imaging technologies for circuit-based neuroanatomy. Nature. 2009;461:900-7 pubmed publisher..This sophisticated molecular and genetic 'toolbox', coupled with new methods in optical and electron microscopy, provides an expanding array of techniques for probing neural anatomy and function. ..