Summary: Study of the scientific principles, mechanisms, and effects of the interaction of ionizing radiation with living matter. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
- Balagamwala E, Chao S, Suh J. Principles of radiobiology of stereotactic radiosurgery and clinical applications in the central nervous system. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2012;11:3-13 pubmed..The principles of classical radiobiology are reviewed with explanation on why fractionation of radiotherapy allows optimization of the therapeutic ratio...
- Bigelow A, Garty G, Funayama T, Randers Pehrson G, Brenner D, Geard C. Expanding the question-answering potential of single-cell microbeams at RARAF, USA. J Radiat Res. 2009;50 Suppl A:A21-8 pubmed..Additionally, an update on the status of the other biology oriented microbeams in the Americas is provided. ..
- Tapio S, Schofield P, Adelmann C, Atkinson M, Bard J, Bijwaard H, et al. Progress in updating the European Radiobiology Archives. Int J Radiat Biol. 2008;84:930-6 pubmed publisherThe European Radiobiology Archives (ERA), together with corresponding Japanese and American databases, hold data from nearly all experimental animal radiation biology studies carried out between 1960 and 1998, involving more than 300,000 ..
- Singh V, Ducey E, Brown D, Whitnall M. A review of radiation countermeasure work ongoing at the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute. Int J Radiat Biol. 2012;88:296-310 pubmed publisher..Here we review primarily the in vivo efficacy of selected countermeasures in animal models and clinical studies. ..
- Firat E, Heinemann F, Grosu A, Hermann F, Niedermann G. Molecular radiobiology meets clinical radiation oncology. Int J Radiat Biol. 2010;86:252-9 pubmed publisher..and translational scientists as well as clinicians interested in recent developments in molecular and clinical radiobiology. The topics ranged from the most recent insight into the organisation of the DNA damage response and ..
- Cremonesi M, Ferrari M, Di Dia A, Botta F, De Cicco C, Bodei L, et al. Recent issues on dosimetry and radiobiology for peptide receptor radionuclide therapy. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011;55:155-67 pubmed
- Feinendegen L, Hahnfeldt P, Schadt E, Stumpf M, Voit E. Systems biology and its potential role in radiobiology. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2008;47:5-23 pubmed..In this context, we discuss in this article examples of relatively small, yet very useful models that elucidate selected aspects of the effects of exposure to ionizing radiation and may shine a light on the path before us. ..
- Sarkaria J, Bristow R. Overview of cancer molecular radiobiology. Cancer Treat Res. 2008;139:117-33 pubmed
- Hadziahmetovic M, Loo B, Timmerman R, Mayr N, Wang J, Huang Z, et al. Stereotactic body radiation therapy (stereotactic ablative radiotherapy) for stage I non-small cell lung cancer--updates of radiobiology, techniques, and clinical outcomes. Discov Med. 2010;9:411-7 pubmed..from retrospective studies or clinical trials, has been accumulated over the years and more is known about the radiobiology, cancer biology, technical aspects, clinical outcomes, and toxicities of SBRT...
- Yeung A, Sughrue M, Kane A, Tihan T, Cheung S, Parsa A. Radiobiology of vestibular schwannomas: mechanisms of radioresistance and potential targets for therapeutic sensitization. Neurosurg Focus. 2009;27:E2 pubmed publisher..An improved understanding of the radiobiological behavior of VS may help guide appropriate patient selection for SRS and potentially aid in the design of novel therapies to treat radioresistant tumors. ..
- Chen S, Zhao Y, Han W, Chiu S, Zhu L, Wu L, et al. Rescue effects in radiobiology: unirradiated bystander cells assist irradiated cells through intercellular signal feedback. Mutat Res. 2011;706:59-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that the rescue effects could participate in repairing the radiation-induced DNA damages through a media-mediated signaling feedback, thereby mitigating the cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of ionizing radiation. ..
- Hei T, Zhou H, Chai Y, Ponnaiya B, Ivanov V. Radiation induced non-targeted response: mechanism and potential clinical implications. Curr Mol Pharmacol. 2011;4:96-105 pubmed..A better understanding of the mechanism of the non-targeted effects will be invaluable to assess its clinical relevance and ways in which the bystander phenomenon can be manipulated to increase therapeutic gain in radiotherapy. ..
- Eke I, Cordes N. Radiobiology goes 3D: how ECM and cell morphology impact on cell survival after irradiation. Radiother Oncol. 2011;99:271-8 pubmed publisher..Identifying the molecular differences between 2D and 3D cultured cells will offer the opportunity to improve our research and widen our therapeutic possibilities against cancer. ..
- Feinendegen L, Pollycove M, Neumann R. Whole-body responses to low-level radiation exposure: new concepts in mammalian radiobiology. Exp Hematol. 2007;35:37-46 pubmed
- Brenner D. The linear-quadratic model is an appropriate methodology for determining isoeffective doses at large doses per fraction. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2008;18:234-9 pubmed publisher..To date, there is no evidence of problems when the LQ model has been applied in the clinic. ..
- Brown J, Carlson D, Brenner D. The tumor radiobiology of SRS and SBRT: are more than the 5 Rs involved?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014;88:254-62 pubmed publisher..data do not support a need to change the LQ model or to invoke phenomena over and above the classic 5 Rs of radiobiology and radiation therapy, with the likely exception that for some tumors high doses of irradiation may produce ..
- Averbeck D. Non-targeted effects as a paradigm breaking evidence. Mutat Res. 2010;687:7-12 pubmed publisher..Indeed, the classical paradigm of radiobiology was based on the concept that all radiation effects on living matter are due to the direct action of radiation...
- Gerardi S. Ionizing radiation microbeam facilities for radiobiological studies in Europe. J Radiat Res. 2009;50 Suppl A:A13-20 pubmed..induced radio-resistance, adaptive response, genomic instability, bystander effects) has pushed the radiobiology research towards a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying these phenomena, the extent to which they ..
- Baverstock K. Why do we need a new paradigm in radiobiology?. Mutat Res. 2010;687:3-6 pubmed publisher..so years experimental evidence, which questions the fundamentals of some 50 years standing, of both biology and radiobiology has accrued...
- Allen C, Borak T, Tsujii H, Nickoloff J. Heavy charged particle radiobiology: using enhanced biological effectiveness and improved beam focusing to advance cancer therapy. Mutat Res. 2011;711:150-7 pubmed publisher..Photons, including X-rays and ?-rays, are the most widely used type of ionizing radiation in radiobiology experiments, and in radiation cancer therapy...
- Davidkova M, Juha L, Bittner M, Koptyaev S, Hájková V, Krása J, et al. A high-power laser-driven source of sub-nanosecond soft X-ray pulses for single-shot radiobiology experiments. Radiat Res. 2007;168:382-7 pubmed..The yields of single-strand breaks (SSBs) and double-strand breaks (DSBs) were determined as a function of energy fluence adjusted by varying distance of sample from the source and thickness of aluminum filters. ..
- Timmerman R, Bastasch M, Saha D, Abdulrahman R, Hittson W, Story M. Optimizing dose and fractionation for stereotactic body radiation therapy. Normal tissue and tumor control effects with large dose per fraction. Front Radiat Ther Oncol. 2007;40:352-65 pubmed..Hopefully, it will serve as a motivation for more sophisticated biological research into the effects of SBRT. ..
- Pouget J, Navarro Teulon I, Bardies M, Chouin N, Cartron G, Pelegrin A, et al. Clinical radioimmunotherapy--the role of radiobiology. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2011;8:720-34 pubmed publisher..In this Review, we provide an update on the current challenges aimed to improve the efficacy of radioimmunotherapy and discuss the main radiobiological issues associated with clinical radioimmunotherapy. ..
- Mothersill C, Seymour C. Changing paradigms in radiobiology. Mutat Res. 2012;750:85-95 pubmed publisherThe last 25 years have seen a major shift in emphasis in the field of radiobiology from a DNA-centric view of how radiation damage occurs to a much more biological view that appreciates the importance of macro-and micro-environments, ..
- Merchant M, Jeynes J, Grime G, Palitsin V, Tullis I, Barber P, et al. A focused scanning vertical beam for charged particle irradiation of living cells with single counted particles. Radiat Res. 2012;178:182-90 pubmed..We discuss future commissioning steps necessary to achieve submicron targeting accuracy with this beamline. ..
- Hedman M, Bjork Eriksson T, Mercke C, West C, Hesselius P, Brodin O. Comparison of predicted and clinical response to radiotherapy: a radiobiology modelling study. Acta Oncol. 2009;48:584-90 pubmed publisher..In this work we evaluate the clinical utility of a model that incorporates the following individually measured radiobiology parameters: intrinsic radiosensitivity, proliferation and number of clonogenic cells...
- Olive P. Impact of the comet assay in radiobiology. Mutat Res. 2009;681:13-23 pubmed..Other examples of applications of the comet assay in radiobiology research include analysis of the inter-individual differences in response to radiation, effect of hypoxia ..
- Kobayashi Y, Funayama T, Hamada N, Sakashita T, Konishi T, Imaseki H, et al. Microbeam irradiation facilities for radiobiology in Japan and China. J Radiat Res. 2009;50 Suppl A:A29-47 pubmed..This review introduces you available microbeam facilities in Japan and in China, to promote radiobiology using microbeam probe and to encourage collaborative research between radiobiologists interested in using ..
- Roeske J, McDevitt M, Palm S, Allen B, Song H, Akabani G, et al. MIRD Pamphlet No. 22 (abridged): radiobiology and dosimetry of alpha-particle emitters for targeted radionuclide therapy. J Nucl Med. 2010;51:311-28 pubmed publisher..The objective of this work is to review those aspects of the field that are pertinent to targeted alpha-particle emitter therapy and to provide guidance and recommendations for human alpha-particle emitter dosimetry...
- Harrington K, Jankowska P, Hingorani M. Molecular biology for the radiation oncologist: the 5Rs of radiobiology meet the hallmarks of cancer. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2007;19:561-71 pubmed..In this introductory review, the 5Rs of classical radiobiology are interpreted in terms of their relationship to the hallmarks of cancer...
- Mothersill C, Seymour C. Radiation-induced bystander effects and adaptive responses--the Yin and Yang of low dose radiobiology?. Mutat Res. 2004;568:121-8 pubmed..This model may be important when attempting to predict the consequences of mixed exposures involving low doses of radiation and other environmental stressors. ..
- Strigari L, Benassi M, Chiesa C, Cremonesi M, Bodei L, D Andrea M. Dosimetry in nuclear medicine therapy: radiobiology application and results. Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2011;55:205-21 pubmed..In this review, we provide the basic aspects of radiobiology, from a theoretical point of view, starting from the "four Rs" of radiobiology and introducing the ..
- Shibamoto Y, Hashizume C, Baba F, Ayakawa S, Manabe Y, Nagai A, et al. Stereotactic body radiotherapy using a radiobiology-based regimen for stage I nonsmall cell lung cancer: a multicenter study. Cancer. 2012;118:2078-84 pubmed publisher..056). All other grade 2 toxicities developed in <4% of patients. The SBRT protocol used in this study yielded reasonable local control and overall survival rates and acceptable toxicity. Dose escalation is being investigated. ..
- Fowler J. The radiobiology of prostate cancer including new aspects of fractionated radiotherapy. Acta Oncol. 2005;44:265-76 pubmed..Monotherapy by brachytherapy for low-risk cancer prostate using two to four fractions in a few days can give even higher biological effects on the tumors. ..
- Gerber G, Wick R, Kellerer A, Hopewell J, Di Majo V, Dudoignon N, et al. The European Radiobiology Archives (ERA)--content, structure and use illustrated by an example. Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2006;118:70-7 pubmedThe European Radiobiology Archives (ERA), supported by the European Commission and the European Late Effect Project Group (EULEP), together with the US National Radiobiology Archives (NRA) and the Japanese Radiobiology Archives (JRA) have ..
- Bordelon D, Zhang J, Graboski S, Cox A, Schreiber E, ZHOU O, et al. A nanotube based electron microbeam cellular irradiator for radiobiology research. Rev Sci Instrum. 2008;79:125102 pubmed publisher..The prototype single beam cellular irradiator is a preliminary step to a multipixel cell irradiator that is under development. ..
- Hernandez M, Knox S. Radiobiology of radioimmunotherapy: targeting CD20 B-cell antigen in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004;59:1274-87 pubmedThe radiobiology of radioimmunotherapy is an important determinant of both the toxicity and the efficacy associated with the treatment of B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with radiolabeled anti-CD20 monoclonal antibodies...
- Bristow R. Recommendations for the future of translational radiobiology research: a Canadian perspective. Radiother Oncol. 2004;70:159-64 pubmed..of this issue, the Canadian Association of Radiation Oncologists (CARO) charged a Task Force in Translational Radiobiology to: (1) critically assess training programs and research infrastructure in relation to current and future ..
- Nelson G. Fundamental space radiobiology. Gravit Space Biol Bull. 2003;16:29-36 pubmed
- Bijl H, van Luijk P, Coppes R, Schippers J, Konings A, van der Kogel A. Dose-volume effects in the rat cervical spinal cord after proton irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2002;52:205-11 pubmed..These results suggest the presence of a critical migration distance of 2-3 mm for cells involved in regeneration processes. ..
- Hill R, Rodemann H, Hendry J, Roberts S, Anscher M. Normal tissue radiobiology: from the laboratory to the clinic. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001;49:353-65 pubmedThis manuscript is in four parts, presenting the four talks given in a symposium on normal tissue radiobiology. The first part addresses the general concept of the role of parenchymal cell radiosensitivity vs...
- Olive P. DNA damage and repair in individual cells: applications of the comet assay in radiobiology. Int J Radiat Biol. 1999;75:395-405 pubmed
- Randers Pehrson G, Geard C, Johnson G, Elliston C, Brenner D. The Columbia University single-ion microbeam. Radiat Res. 2001;156:210-4 pubmed..Various contributions to targeting and positioning precision are discussed along with our plans for future developments. Beam time for outside users is often available (see www.raraf.org). ..
- Ma C, Coffey C, DeWerd L, Liu C, Nath R, Seltzer S, et al. AAPM protocol for 40-300 kV x-ray beam dosimetry in radiotherapy and radiobiology. Med Phys. 2001;28:868-93 pubmed..Therapy Committee Task Group 61, for reference dosimetry of low- and medium-energy x rays for radiotherapy and radiobiology (40 kV < or = tube potential < or = 300 kV)...
- Bentzen S, Saunders M, Dische S, Bond S. Radiotherapy-related early morbidity in head and neck cancer: quantitative clinical radiobiology as deduced from the CHART trial. Radiother Oncol. 2001;60:123-35 pubmed
- Jones B, Dale R, Finst P, Khaksar S. Biological equivalent dose assessment of the consequences of hypofractionated radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000;47:1379-84 pubmed..Clinical trials that use BED isoeffect matching for late reacting tissue effects to design a hypofractioned test schedule should include comprehensive calculations of the likely BED in high-dose regions. ..
- Bentzen S. Quantitative clinical radiobiology. Acta Oncol. 1993;32:259-75 pubmedBased on a series of recent papers, a status is given of our current ability to quantify the radiobiology of human tumors and normal tissues. Progress has been made in the methods of analysis...
- Moulder J. Report on an interagency workshop on the radiobiology of nuclear terrorism. Molecular and cellular biology dose (1-10 Sv) radiation and potential mechanisms of radiation protection (Bethesda, Maryland, December 17-18, 2001). Radiat Res. 2002;158:118-24 pubmed