Summary: The study of the structure, growth, function, genetics, and reproduction of bacteria, and BACTERIAL INFECTIONS.
- Lee Y, Kanagalingam J. Bacteriology of deep neck abscesses: a retrospective review of 96 consecutive cases. Singapore Med J. 2011;52:351-5 pubmed..pneumoniae infection in diabetic patients, and SMG and anaerobic bacteria in patients with an odontogenic infection, is advocated. Routine antibiotic coverage against Gram-negative bacteria is not paramount. ..
- Greub G, Prod hom G. Automation in clinical bacteriology: what system to choose?. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:655-60 pubmed publisherWith increased activity and reduced financial and human resources, there is a need for automation in clinical bacteriology. Initial processing of clinical samples includes repetitive and fastidious steps...
- Shapiro J. Bacteria are small but not stupid: cognition, natural genetic engineering and socio-bacteriology. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2007;38:807-19 pubmed..This remarkable series of observations requires us to revise basic ideas about biological information processing and recognise that even the smallest cells are sentient beings. ..
- Gould I, MacKenzie F, Shepherd L. Attitudes to antibiotic prescribing, resistance and bacteriology investigations amongst practitioners and patients in the Grampian region of Scotland. Eur J Gen Pract. 2007;13:35-6 pubmed
- Euzéby J. Nomenclature of the subgenera Moraxella and Branhamella and of the nine species included in these subgenera and proposal to modify rule 34a of the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision). Request for an opinion. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:1939-41 pubmed..Index of the bacterial and yeast nomenclatural changes published in the International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology since the 1980 Approved Lists of Bacterial Names (1 January 1980 to 1 January 1985)', which appears in the July ..
- Høiby N. [Christian Gram's famous staining method]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2007;169:2870 pubmed
- Hawgood B. Albert Calmette (1863-1933) and Camille Guérin (1872-1961): the C and G of BCG vaccine. J Med Biogr. 2007;15:139-46 pubmedEarly in his medical career, Albert Calmette showed a remarkable aptitude for bacteriology and, in 1891, he opened the first daughter Pasteur Institute in Saigon, French Indochina at the request of Louis Pasteur...
- Kohler M, Kohler W. Zentralblatt für Bakteriologie--100 years ago: Victor Babe? and enzootic haemoglobinuria of cattle. Int J Med Microbiol. 2003;293:233-9 pubmed
- de Gopegui Bordes E, del Remedio Guna Serrano M, Orta Mira N, Ovies M, Poveda M, Gimeno Cardona C, et al. [Analysis of the results of the SEIMC External Quality Control Program. Year 2009]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2011;29 Suppl 3:1-7 pubmed publisher..Program of the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology (SEIMC) includes controls for bacteriology, serology, mycology, parasitology, mycobacteria, virology and molecular microbiology...
- Shuman H. Just toothpicks and logic: how some labs succeed at solving complex problems. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:387-90 pubmed
- Oberländer C. The rise of scientific medicine in Japan: Beriberi as the driving force in the quest for specific causes and the introduction of bacteriology. Hist Sci (Tokyo). 2004;13:176-99 pubmed
- Tan S, Graham C. Armauer Hansen (1841-1912): discoverer of the cause of leprosy. Singapore Med J. 2008;49:520-1 pubmed
- Negroni R, Bonvehi P, Arechavala A. [History and description of Microsporum fulvum, a valid species of this genus discovered in Argentina]. Rev Argent Microbiol. 2008;40:47 pubmed
- Skirrow M. John McFadyean and the centenary of the first isolation of Campylobacter species. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:1213-7 pubmed..A brief portrayal illustrates his uncompromising dedication to scientific accuracy and to his profession, often in the face of opposition. ..
- Janulaityte Günther D, Gunther T, Pavilonis A, Kupcinskas L. What Bizzozero never could imagine - Helicobacter pylori today and tomorrow. Medicina (Kaunas). 2003;39:542-9 pubmed..From large epidemiological studies made during the last twenty years as well as from microbiological research we have learned much more about this in the beginning nameless and mysterious bacterium. ..
- Szallasi A. [Veresaev, the Russian physician writer]. Orv Hetil. 2002;143:303-5 pubmed
- Dauwalder O, Landrieve L, Laurent F, de Montclos M, Vandenesch F, Lina G. Does bacteriology laboratory automation reduce time to results and increase quality management?. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2016;22:236-43 pubmed publisher..This study focused on solutions that are currently available, including the BD Kiestraâ„¢ Work Cell Automation and Total Lab Automation and the Copan WASPLab(Â®). ..
- Kelly D, Euzéby J, Goodhew C, Wood A. Redefining Paracoccus denitrificans and Paracoccus pantotrophus and the case for a reassessment of the strains held by international culture collections. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2006;56:2495-500 pubmed..The case is established for a critical reassessment of the P. denitrificans strains held by international culture collections, to ensure that they are assigned to the correct species...
- Hopkins Tanne J. Infectious diseases expert convicted over missing plague bacteria. BMJ. 2003;327:1307 pubmed
- Fonfrede M, Couaillac J, Augereau C, De Moüy D, Lepargneur J, Szymanowicz A, et al. [Evaluation of the methodological quality of the Rémic (microbiology guidelines - bacteriology and mycology) of the Société française de microbiologie]. Ann Biol Clin (Paris). 2011;69:239-45 pubmed publisherWe have evaluated the methodological quality of the Rémic (microbiology guidelines - bacteriology and mycology) of the Société française de microbiologie (edition2007), using to AGREE criteria, which are consensual at an ..
- Kohler W. Zentralblatt für bakteriologie--100 years ago: first experiments with streptococcal agglutination--Paul Moser and Clemens Frh. von Pirquet, Hans Aronson, Ernest Tavel. Int J Med Microbiol. 2003;293:117-22 pubmed
- Young D, Stark J, Kirschner D. Systems biology of persistent infection: tuberculosis as a case study. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2008;6:520-8 pubmed publisher..In this article, we use Mycobacterium tuberculosis as an example of how systems-biology approaches have begun to make strides in uncovering important facets of the host-pathogen interaction. ..
- Farnetani F, Navarra A, Farnetani I. [Biography and bibliography of Francesco Fede, the founder of Italian pediatrics]. Minerva Pediatr. 2011;63:515-26 pubmed
- Kurzatkowski W, Staniszewska M, Madalinski K, Juśkiewicz E. [Prof. W?odzimierz Kury?owicz (MD) (1910-1991)--100th anniversary of birthday]. Przegl Epidemiol. 2010;64:591-3 pubmed
- Christensen H, Bisgaard M, Frederiksen W, Mutters R, Kuhnert P, Olsen J. Is characterization of a single isolate sufficient for valid publication of a new genus or species? Proposal to modify recommendation 30b of the Bacteriological Code (1990 Revision). Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:2221-5 pubmed..International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, formerly International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, have increased by approximately four- and sevenfold, respectively...
- Spina N, Zansky S, Dumas N, Kondracki S. Four laboratory-associated cases of infection with Escherichia coli O157:H7. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:2938-9 pubmed..These data suggest that the infections were laboratory acquired, and they demonstrate the importance of laboratorians strictly adhering to biosafety practices recommended for the handling of infectious materials. ..
- Rapoport G, Msadek T. Raymond Dedonder 1920-2004. Mol Microbiol. 2005;55:327-9 pubmed
- Hammerschmidt D. Nobel prize winner trading card (CIRCA 1952). Elie Metchnikoff. J Lab Clin Med. 2003;141:229-30 pubmed..in a short time he became one of the principal collaborators with the master, especially in works concerning bacteriology. These were an inspiration to him, and led him to his famous theory of phagocytosis, the defensive act whereby ..
- Brath K. [Paul Ehrlich was born 150 years ago. The benefactor of Humanity]. MMW Fortschr Med. 2004;146:65 pubmed
- Contrepois A. [The new terms of "infectious diseases": the birth of the clinical bacteriology and infectious pathology in France]. Hist Sci Med. 2003;37:95-103 pubmed..Alain Contrepois describes the moving of French medicine from 1870 to 1914, outside the German bacteriology whose knowledge remained misunderstood owing to the political circumstances.
- Gradmann C. [The traveling laboratory: Robert Koch investigates cholera 1883/84]. Medizinhist J. 2003;38:35-56 pubmed..Travelling abroad fulfilled Koch's own youthful ambitions and simultaneously opened up his career as a figure of public life. In addition it provided him with the experience of doing science in a profitable and enjoyable way. ..
- Mason P, Degeling C. Beyond Biomedicine: Relationships and Care in Tuberculosis Prevention. J Bioeth Inq. 2016;13:31-4 pubmed publisher..As the World Health Organization moves towards the goal of eliminating TB globally by 2050, attending to the needs of TB patients serves global interests to lower disease burden and to develop better integrated communities worldwide. ..
- Takeyama H, Wada M, Matsunaga T. Screening of soil bacteria for production of biocleaner. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2002;98-100:319-26 pubmed..These results suggest that a mixture of supernatants from culture broths of Bacillus sp. NKB03 and Aeromonas sp. NKB26c has potential for commercial use as a biocleaner. ..
- Kobayashi H. [Future of bacteriology from the viewpoint of clinical microbiology]. Nihon Saikingaku Zasshi. 2002;57:497-507 pubmed
- Ezaki T. [Report on Salmonella nomenclature of judicial commission during IUMS general meeting in Paris]. Kansenshogaku Zasshi. 2002;76:839-41 pubmed
- Portnoy D. Yogi Berra, Forrest Gump, and the discovery of Listeria actin comet tails. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:1141-5 pubmed publisher..Potentially, the paper will be a classic." ..
- Kimura K. Special remark: a portrait of Dr. Rokuzo Kobayashi. Keio J Med. 2002;51 Suppl 2:4-5 pubmed
- Davidovitch N, Zalashik R. Pasteur in Palestine: the politics of the laboratory. Sci Context. 2010;23:401-25 pubmed
- SAPERO J, LAWLESS D. The MIF stain-preservation technic for the identification of intestinal protozoa. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1953;2:613-9 pubmed
- Turk T. Joseph Landsberger (1848-1933): medical man in a time of change. J Med Biogr. 2005;13:95-9 pubmed..He was involved in the scientific advances of his time, especially in the fields of antisepsis and asepsis, bacteriology, surgical technique, public health and therapeutics.
- Valente P, Lora P, Landell M, Schiefelbein C, Girardi F, Souza L, et al. A game for teaching antimicrobial mechanisms of action. Med Teach. 2009;31:e383-92 pubmedAlternative teaching tools have proved to enhance students' interest and knowledge skills. To integrate basic Bacteriology with mechanisms of action of antimicrobial agents...
- Gradmann C. [A matter of methods: the historicity of Koch's postulates 1840-2000]. Medizinhist J. 2008;43:121-48 pubmed..or molecular medicine devise variations of Koch's postulates that serve to relate their own work to Koch's bacteriology. The latter is perceived as the origin of modern experimental medicine...
- Tu C, Hsu W, Hsia T, Chen H, Chiu K, Hang L, et al. The changing pathogens of complicated parapneumonic effusions or empyemas in a medical intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med. 2006;32:570-6 pubmed..To assess the incidence, pathogens, and outcome of complicated parapneumonic effusions or empyemas in a medical intensive care unit (MICU) patients with pleural effusions...
- Blair J. Sir John Pringle. J R Army Med Corps. 2006;152:273-5 pubmed
- Fierro Benítez R. [Eugenio Espejo, the Quito physician: pioneer of bacteriology in the Americas]. An R Acad Nac Med (Madr). 2003;120:79-93 pubmed..His work, Reflections on Smallpox, makes or Espejo outstanding in his field. Pioneer in bacteriology and of the biopathological observations in America...
- Guna Serrano M, Orta Mira N, Ovies M, Gimeno Cardona C, Perez J. [Analysis of the results of the SEIMC External Quality Control Program, 2007]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2008;26 Suppl 13:1-7 pubmed..Program of the Spanish Society of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology (SEIMC) includes controls for bacteriology, serology, mycology, parasitology, mycobacteria, virology and molecular microbiology...
- Johansson K. VetBact - culturing bacteriological knowledge for veterinarians. Vet Rec. 2014;174:162-4 pubmed publisherIn 2004, Karl-Erik Johansson, then professor of veterinary bacteriology at the veterinary school at Uppsala in Sweden, was asked by his students for a list of the most important bacteria and the diseases that they cause...
- Condran G. The elusive role of scientific medicine in mortality decline: diphtheria in nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Philadelphia. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2008;63:484-522 pubmed publisher..Our analysis of the past depends on numbers that reflect not only changing treatments but also changing understandings of disease at the end of the nineteenth century. ..