Genomes and Genes
Summary: Study of intracellular distribution of chemicals, reaction sites, enzymes, etc., by means of staining reactions, radioactive isotope uptake, selective metal distribution in electron microscopy, or other methods.
- Estevanato L, Cintra D, Baldini N, Portilho F, Barbosa L, Martins O, et al. Preliminary biocompatibility investigation of magnetic albumin nanosphere designed as a potential versatile drug delivery system. Int J Nanomedicine. 2011;6:1709-17 pubmed publisher..The results showed that MAN has desirable in vivo biocompatibility, presenting potential for use as a MDDS, especially in CNS disease therapy. ..
- Dos Santos R, Schmidt E, Bouzon Z. Changes in ultrastructure and cytochemistry of the agarophyte Gracilaria domingensis (Rhodophyta, Gracilariales) treated with cadmium. Protoplasma. 2013;250:297-305 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings strongly suggested that cadmium negatively affects the agarophyte G. domingensis, posing a threat to the vitality of this plant species as a supplement in the human diet...
- Benerini Gatta L, Cadei M, Balzarini P, Castriciano S, Paroni R, Verzeletti A, et al. Application of alternative fixatives to formalin in diagnostic pathology. Eur J Histochem. 2012;56:e12 pubmed publisher..The tissues fixed in Bouin did not provide results comparable to those obtained with formalin. The DNA extracted from samples fixed with alternative fixatives was found to be suitable for molecular analysis. ..
- Vanecek V, Zablotskii V, Forostyak S, Ruzicka J, Herynek V, Babic M, et al. Highly efficient magnetic targeting of mesenchymal stem cells in spinal cord injury. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:3719-30 pubmed publisher..Such magnetic systems with tunable geometric parameters may provide the additional level of control needed to enhance the efficiency of stem cell delivery in spinal cord injury. ..
- Taavela J, Kurppa K, Collin P, Lähdeaho M, Salmi T, Saavalainen P, et al. Degree of damage to the small bowel and serum antibody titers correlate with clinical presentation of patients with celiac disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;11:166-71.e1 pubmed publisher..Patient-reported outcomes are therefore of value, in addition to histology findings, in assessing patients with celiac disease. ..
- Nara T, Yasui T, Fujimori O, Meyer W, Tsukise A. Histochemical properties of sialic acids and antimicrobial substances in canine anal glands. Eur J Histochem. 2011;55:e29 pubmed publisher..The results obtained are discussed with regard to the functional significance of the anal glands. These secretory products may create a defensive barrier against microbial invasion at the anal mucosa...
- Ponsford M, Medana I, Prapansilp P, Hien T, Lee S, Dondorp A, et al. Sequestration and microvascular congestion are associated with coma in human cerebral malaria. J Infect Dis. 2012;205:663-71 pubmed publisher..Increased microvascular congestion accompanies coma in CM, associated with parasite sequestration in the cerebral microvasculature...
- Grayfer L, De Jesús Andino F, Robert J. The amphibian (Xenopus laevis) type I interferon response to frog virus 3: new insight into ranavirus pathogenicity. J Virol. 2014;88:5766-77 pubmed publisher..Despite reducing FV3 loads and extending the mean survival time, rXlIFN treatments failed to prevent tadpole tissue damage and mortality. Thus, FV3 is more pathogenic than was previously believed, even at very low titers. ..
- Alkhalidi H, Alhumaidy A. Cystic panfolliculoma of the scalp: report of a very rare case and brief review. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2013;56:437-9 pubmed publisher..We describe the histopathological and immunohistochemical features of the tumor and briefly discuss the differential diagnoses of this rare entity. ..
- Filioussis G, Petridou E, Karavanis E, Giadinis N, Xexaki A, Govaris A, et al. An outbreak of caprine meningoencephalitis due to Escherichia coli O157:H7. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2013;25:816-8 pubmed publisher..Additionally the bacterial isolates were found to carry a plasmid that harbored qnrS, sulII, and tetB genes that contribute to high-level resistance to fluoroquinolones, co-trimoxazole, and tetracycline, respectively. ..
- Aguilar Hernandez V, Guzman P. The fate of tandemly duplicated genes assessed by the expression analysis of a group of Arabidopsis thaliana RING-H2 ubiquitin ligase genes of the ATL family. Plant Mol Biol. 2014;84:429-41 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide insights into the evolution of gene families in plants, defining key events on the expansion of the Arabidopsis Tóxicos en Levadura family of E3 ligases. ..
- Diallo I, Carter P, Storie G. Encephalomyocarditis virus infection in a splenectomised calf. Aust Vet J. 2013;91:391-4 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of naturally occurring EMC in cattle in Australia and the first report of naturally occurring bovine EMC from which EMCV has been isolated. ..
- Kawakami Y, Ii M, Matsumoto T, Kawamoto A, Kuroda R, Akimaru H, et al. A small interfering RNA targeting Lnk accelerates bone fracture healing with early neovascularization. Lab Invest. 2013;93:1036-53 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that downregulation of Lnk system may have the clinical potential for faster fracture healing, which contributes to the reduction of delayed unions or non-unions. ..
- Morais D, Cupertino M, Goulart L, Freitas K, Freitas M, Paula T, et al. Histomorphometric evaluation of the Molossus molossus (Chiroptera, Molossidae) testis: the tubular compartment and indices of sperm production. Anim Reprod Sci. 2013;140:268-78 pubmed publisher..molossus males show a continuous reproductive cycle, featuring greater spermatogenic activity during the fall and winter, a tubular length above the average of other mammals and a less support capacity of the Sertoli cells. ..
- D Agata A, Fasulo S, Dallas L, Fisher A, Maisano M, Readman J, et al. Enhanced toxicity of 'bulk' titanium dioxide compared to 'fresh' and 'aged' nano-TiO2 in marine mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis). Nanotoxicology. 2014;8:549-58 pubmed publisher..Our integrated study suggests that for this ecologically relevant organism photocatalytic ageing of nTiO2 does not significantly alter toxicity, and that bulk TiO2 may be less ecotoxicologically inert than previously assumed. ..
- Bruňanská M, Drobníková P, Mackiewicz J, Nebesarova J. Cytocomposition of the vitellarium in Khawia sinensis Hsü, 1935 (Cestoda, Caryophyllidea, Lytocestidae): another caryophyllidean species with lamellar bodies and lipids. Parasitol Res. 2013;112:2703-11 pubmed publisher..Some of the shell globule clusters are transformed into lamellar body clusters. Ultrastructural features of vitellocytes in K. sinensis are compared with those of other monopleuroid, polypleuroid, and strobilated cestodes. ..
- Liu P, Shu Z, Qin X, Dou Y, Zhao Y, Zhao X. A live attenuated human metapneumovirus vaccine strain provides complete protection against homologous viral infection and cross-protection against heterologous viral infection in BALB/c mice. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013;20:1246-54 pubmed publisher..This vaccine strain may therefore be a candidate for further preclinical study. Furthermore, this attenuating strategy (changing the glycosylation of a major viral protein) may be useful in the development of other viral vaccines. ..
- Lee D, Lee J, Lee K, Han J. Evaluation of Hepatic Steatosis by Using Acoustic Structure Quantification US in a Rat Model: Comparison with Pathologic Examination and MR Spectroscopy. Radiology. 2017;285:445-453 pubmed publisher..The degree of steatosis and stage of fibrosis at histopathologic examination were significant factors that affected the FD ratio. © RSNA, 2017 Online supplemental material is available for this article. ..
- Cui L, Wang B, Chen L, Zhou J. The effect of ischemic precondition to IL-6 on rat liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in transplantation. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2013;6:395-9 pubmed publisher..05) Ischemic precondition could alleviate part of ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat liver transplantation, and also could reduce IL-6 expression to protect the liver cells against liver damage and inflammatory cytokine production. ..
- Li Z. Lymph node mapping in rabbit liver cancer with nanocarbon and methylene blue injecta. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2013;6:400-3 pubmed publisher..Besides, they can effectively reduce the number of residual lymph nodes after operation. It can achieve the lymph node dissection more thoroughly, promptly, easily and safely. ..
- Yao Y, Bao L, Deng W, Xu L, Li F, Lv Q, et al. An animal model of MERS produced by infection of rhesus macaques with MERS coronavirus. J Infect Dis. 2014;209:236-42 pubmed publisher..The infected monkeys showed clinical signs of disease, virus replication, histological lesions, and neutralizing antibody production, indicating that this monkey model is suitable for studies of MERS-CoV infection. ..
- Saikia U, Mishra B, Sharma M, Nada R, Radotra B. Disseminated coxsackievirus B fulminant myocarditis in an immunocompetent adult: a case report: case of disseminated coxsackievirus myocarditis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014;78:98-100 pubmed publisher..We report a case of fulminant myocarditis along with dissemination of coxsackievirus, which was clinically unrecognized. ..
- Soukup A. Selected simple methods of plant cell wall histochemistry and staining for light microscopy. Methods Mol Biol. 2014;1080:25-40 pubmed publisher..Hereby we present set of selected simple staining and histochemical methods with comments based on our laboratory experience. ..
- Haridy M, Sasaki J, Goryo M. Herniation of duodenum into the right ventral hepatic peritoneal cavity with groove formation at the ventral hepatic surface in a 2-week-old chicken. J Vet Med Sci. 2013;75:1405-7 pubmed..This is the first report of duodenum herniation into the right ventral hepatic peritoneal cavity resulting in groove formation on the ventral hepatic surface in a 2-week-old chicken. ..
- Roos S, Fyhr I, Sunnerhagen K, Moslemi A, Oldfors A, Ullman M. Histopathological changes in skeletal muscle associated with chronic ischaemia. APMIS. 2016;124:935-941 pubmed publisher..Since the alterations mimic different primary myopathic changes, chronic ischaemia is important to consider as a differential diagnosis in elderly individuals, investigated with muscle biopsy for muscle disease. ..
- Hu Z, Wei H, Meng F, Xu C, Cheng C, Yang Y. Recurrent cryptococcal immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in an HIV-infected patient after anti-retroviral therapy: a case report. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2013;12:40 pubmed publisher..In this condition, each episode of C-IRIS may be treated independently, and extended corticosteroids may not always be needed. ..
- Li J, Bi Y, Chen C, Yang L, Ding C, Liu W. Genetic characterization of Duck Hepatitis A Viruses isolated in China. Virus Res. 2013;178:211-6 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the genetic and biological diversity of DHAVs in China and aid in understanding the epidemiology and evolution of DHAVs. ..
- Wu G, Zhou Z, Li T, Cai D, Wang Y. Do hyperechoic thyroid nodules on B-ultrasound represent calcification?. J Int Med Res. 2013;41:848-54 pubmed publisher..There is a close association between calcification (especially microcalcification) and thyroid cancer on both B-ultrasound and pathological examination. ..
- Casey B, Behrens A, Tsinas Z, Hess J, Wu Z, Griffith B, et al. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of polymer hydrogels for hemorrhage control. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2013;24:1781-93 pubmed publisher..In vivo experimentation confirmed that hydrogels containing higher electrostatic charge and low crosslink density are more effective at fostering the formation of a robust hemostatic plug to control blood loss. ..
- Antunes A, Covington A, Petford N, Murray T, Wertheim D. Three-dimensional visualization of dermal skin structure using confocal laser scanning microscopy. J Microsc. 2013;251:14-8 pubmed publisher..The methods developed provide a novel way of viewing complex organic structures with further potential applications in the medical field. ..
- Tortereau A, Howroyd P, Lorentsen H. Onset of puberty and normal histological appearances of the reproductive organs in peripubertal female Göttingen minipigs. Toxicol Pathol. 2013;41:1116-25 pubmed publisher..2 g. In contrast, the differences between immature and mature ovarian weights were not significant. The histological appearance of the mature vagina in the various stages of the estrous cycle is also described. ..
- Wang D, He Y, Bi L, Qu Z, Zou J, Pan Z, et al. Enhancing the bioactivity of Poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) scaffold with a nano-hydroxyapatite coating for the treatment of segmental bone defect in a rabbit model. Int J Nanomedicine. 2013;8:1855-65 pubmed publisher..nHA coating on the interior pore surfaces can significantly improve the bioactivity of PLGA porous scaffolds. ..
- Tang X, Yang F, Jia L, Yao X, Yang K. Placental site trophoblastic tumor in the pelvic wall: a case report and review of the literature. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2013;56:300-2 pubmed publisher..The report shows that extra-uterine PSTT is extremely rare and may have a good prognosis; surgical resection and adjuvant chemotherapy are good options. However, further experience to diagnose and cure this rare tumor is warranted. ..
- Webster R, Mackie J, Haskins S. Histopathological changes in the lungs from dogs with tick paralysis: 25 cases (2010-2012). Aust Vet J. 2013;91:306-11 pubmed publisher..To determine the prevalence and nature of histological lung lesions in dogs with tick paralysis...
- Santoro M, D Alessio N, Di Prisco F, Neola B, Restucci B, Pagano T, et al. Angiostrongylus vasorum infection in red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) in southern Italy. Acta Parasitol. 2015;60:356-9 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that the life cycle of A. vasorum is well established in the red fox in the Campania Region representing a potential infection risk for dogs. ..
- Ando T, Tochigi N, Gocho K, Moriya A, Ikushima S, Kumasaka T, et al. Pathophysiological Implication of Computed Tomography Images of Chronic Pulmonary Aspergillosis. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2016;69:118-26 pubmed publisher..Consequently, OP is thought to reflect respiratory failure that relates to the prognosis of CPA. ..
- Yasuda E, Kuwabara H, Shibayama Y. Collecting duct renal cell carcinoma with the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis: an autopsy case report. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2013;56:43-6 pubmed publisher..Severe carcinomatous meningitis, which is possibly caused the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis, was observed, with no cancer involvement of the pituitary gland and hypothalamus. ..
- dos Santos V, da Trindade M, De Souza D, de Menezes A, Oguma P, Nascimento A. A 76-year-old man with a right lung adenocarcinoma and invasive Aspergillosis. Mycopathologia. 2013;176:113-8 pubmed publisher..Pathogenesis of invasive aspergillosis in patients with lung cancer is not completely understood. Case studies may contribute to a better knowledge about Aspergillus infection in this setting. ..
- Yu L, Wang Z, Chen Y, Ding W, Jia H, Chan J, et al. Clinical, virological, and histopathological manifestations of fatal human infections by avian influenza A(H7N9) virus. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:1449-57 pubmed publisher..Hypoxic and fatty changes of kidney and liver tissues are compatible with impaired renal or liver function. Fatal A(H7N9) infection was characterized by viral and secondary bacterial pneumonia with 67% having positive RT-PCR in stool. ..
- Lebelo R, Boulet G, Nkosi C, Bida M, Bogers J, Mphahlele M. Diversity of HPV types in cancerous and pre-cancerous penile lesions of South African men: implications for future HPV vaccination strategies. J Med Virol. 2014;86:257-65 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that boys could directly benefit from vaccination as they are exposed to variety of HPV types as early as 10 years of age in Africa. ..
- Miranda L, Conceição Silva F, Quintella L, Kuraiem B, Pereira S, Schubach T. Feline sporotrichosis: histopathological profile of cutaneous lesions and their correlation with clinical presentation. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013;36:425-32 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the fungal load control in animals with more localized lesions and well-organized response is linked with the improvement in the outcome of infected cats. ..
- Irshad H, Veillard A, Roux L, Racoceanu D. Methods for nuclei detection, segmentation, and classification in digital histopathology: a review-current status and future potential. IEEE Rev Biomed Eng. 2014;7:97-114 pubmed publisher..This study also enables us to measure the challenges that remain, in order to reach robust analysis of whole slide images, essential high content imaging with diagnostic biomarkers and prognosis support in digital pathology. ..
- Miranda L, Santiago M, Schubach T, Morgado F, Pereira S, Oliveira R, et al. Severe feline sporotrichosis associated with an increased population of CD8low cells and a decrease in CD4? cells. Med Mycol. 2016;54:29-39 pubmed publisher..As conclusion these results point to an important role of the CD4:CD8 balance in determining the clinical outcome in feline sporotrichosis. ..
- Zittan E, Kelly O, Kirsch R, Milgrom R, Burns J, Nguyen G, et al. Low Fecal Calprotectin Correlates with Histological Remission and Mucosal Healing in Ulcerative Colitis and Colonic Crohn's Disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2016;22:623-30 pubmed publisher..1) was 0.95 (95% CI, 0.82-1). Low FC correlates well with histological remission and mucosal healing in colonic inflammatory bowel disease and is thus a clinically useful surrogate for inflammatory activity. ..
- Nair I, Feroze M, Aravindan K. Bilineage T-lymphoblastic/myeloid extramedullary blast crisis in chronic myelogenous leukemia. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2016;59:107-9 pubmed publisher..About 25% of these cases fulfill the criteria for mixed phenotype acute leukemia. We here report a case of a second blast crisis of CML which was extramedullary and was immunophenotypically bilineage T/myeloid. ..
- Thunnissen E, Belien J, Kerr K, Chung J, Flieder D, Noguchi M, et al. In compressed lung tissue microscopic sections of adenocarcinoma in situ may mimic papillary adenocarcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013;137:1792-7 pubmed publisher..Pathologists should be aware of the possibility of misclassification of adenocarcinoma pattern due to tissue artifacts caused by lung tissue handling. ..