Genomes and Genes
Summary: The study of the structures of organisms for applications in art: drawing, painting, sculpture, illustration, etc.
- Sjöstrand N. [The medical illustration as the expression of illusion and imagination--the liver as an exampel from history]. Sven Med Tidskr. 2007;11:17-51 pubmed..Yet, still today, the liver lobule, although not present in man, always is presented in textbooks as the morphological and physiological unit of the liver. ..
- Morriss Kay G. Bodyworlds. J Anat. 2002;200:535-6 pubmed
- McIntyre N. Andreas Vesalius (1514-84). J Med Biogr. 2007;15:96 pubmed
- Ma Y, Hof P, Grant S, Blackband S, Bennett R, Slatest L, et al. A three-dimensional digital atlas database of the adult C57BL/6J mouse brain by magnetic resonance microscopy. Neuroscience. 2005;135:1203-15 pubmed
- Ackerman M, Yoo T, Jenkins D. From data to knowledge--the Visible Human Project continues. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2001;84:887-90 pubmed
- Jones D, Whitaker M. Engaging with plastination and the Body Worlds phenomenon: a cultural and intellectual challenge for anatomists. Clin Anat. 2009;22:770-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that anatomists need to face up to the opportunities and challenges posed by the Body Worlds phenomenon, utilizing what is being presented to the general public and adapting this in teaching and research. ..
- Molenaar J. [Anatomy as theatre. From the library of the Society of the Dutch Journal of Medicine. Govard Bidloo: Ontleding des Menschelijken Lichaams (Dissection of the Human Body); 1689; and William Cowper: The Anatomy of Humane Bodies; 1698]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2004;148:2594-602 pubmed..The great artistic value of his anatomical plates justifies more attention for his importance as a medical illustrator in medical history. ..
- Greer P, Villemagne V, Ruszkiewicz J, Graves A, Meltzer C, Mathis C, et al. MR atlas of the baboon brain for functional neuroimaging. Brain Res Bull. 2002;58:429-38 pubmed..Overall, the digital MR-based atlas allowed for automatic co-registration, proved useful across a range of PET Studies, and is accessible electronically via the Internet. ..
- Cuadra M, Pollo C, Bardera A, Cuisenaire O, Villemure J, Thiran J. Atlas-based segmentation of pathological MR brain images using a model of lesion growth. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2004;23:1301-14 pubmed
- Hermanson J. Architecture and the division of labor in the extensor carpi radialis muscle of horses. Acta Anat (Basel). 1997;159:127-35 pubmed..The proximal compartment is suited to provide powerful, more fatigable contractions during locomotion and likely affects stress or strain within the distal postural compartment. ..
- Palma P, Riccetto C, Dambros M, Netto N. New trends in the transobturator management of cystoceles. BJU Int. 2006;97:201-10 pubmed
- Farmer M, German R. Sexual dimorphism in the craniofacial growth of the guinea pig (Cavia porcellus). J Morphol. 2004;259:172-81 pubmed
- Burns G, Cheng W, Thompson R, Swanson L. The NeuARt II system: a viewing tool for neuroanatomical data based on published neuroanatomical atlases. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:531 pubmed..Furthermore, it provides a framework that supports the delivery and manipulation of mapped data either as a standalone system or as a component in a larger knowledge management system. ..
- Cohn F. Re-inventing anatomy: the impact of plastination on how we see the human body. Clin Anat. 2002;15:443-4 pubmed
- Bjaalie J, Leergaard T, Lillehaug S, Odeh F, Moene I, Kjode J, et al. Database and tools for analysis of topographic organization and map transformations in major projection systems of the brain. Neuroscience. 2005;136:681-95 pubmed..The application is prepared for future handling of data from other projection systems as well as other data categories. ..
- Segal A. [The first printed essay on illustration colors completing the 1911 lecture of professor René Ledoux-Lebard]. Hist Sci Med. 2006;40:339-44 pubmed
- Nowinski W, Thirunavuukarasuu A, Volkau I, Marchenko Y, Aminah B, Puspitasari F, et al. A three-dimensional interactive atlas of cerebral arterial variants. Neuroinformatics. 2009;7:255-64 pubmed publisher..It is easily extensible with additional variant instances, new variants, branching patterns, and supporting textual materials. ..
- Han X, Fischl B. Atlas renormalization for improved brain MR image segmentation across scanner platforms. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2007;26:479-86 pubmed
- Abol Enein H, Ghoneim M. Surgical atlas. A continent cutaneous ileal neobladder using the serous-lined extramural valves. BJU Int. 2006;98:1125-37 pubmed
- Shirasugi E. Envisioning the inner body during the Edo period in Japan: Inshoku yojo kagami (Rules of Dietary Life) and Boji yojo kagami (Rules of Sexual Life). Anat Sci Int. 2007;82:46-52 pubmed..As sex manuals, Yellow Cover booklets, and ukiyoe publications, incorporated and disseminated the newly acquired medical knowledge and the medical concept of the body gradually became the common sense view among people in the street. ..
- Lehericy S, Bardinet E, Tremblay L, van de Moortele P, Pochon J, Dormont D, et al. Motor control in basal ganglia circuits using fMRI and brain atlas approaches. Cereb Cortex. 2006;16:149-61 pubmed
- Ghoneim M. Surgical atlas: Orthotopic bladder substitution in women after cystectomy for bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2004;93:891-908 pubmed..Prevention of this descent can reduce the incidence of this complication. Further follow-up is needed to evaluate the oncological outcome. ..
- Holomanova A, Ivanova A, Brucknerova I, Benuska J. Andreas Vesalius--the reformer of anatomy. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2001;102:48-54 pubmed..fig. 4, ref. 6.) ..
- Rutkow I. A selective history of hernia surgery in the late eighteenth century: the treatises of Percivall Pott, Jean Louis Petit, D. August Gottlieb Richter, Don Antonio de Gimbernat, and Pieter Camper. Surg Clin North Am. 2003;83:1021-44, v pubmed..August Gottlieb Richter, Don Antonio de Gimbernat, and Pieter Camper were among the most influential hernia-related tomes of this time. Biographies of these five surgeons and extracts from their writings are presented in this article. ..
- Schiebinger L. Skelettestreit. Isis. 2003;94:307-13 pubmed..It is wrong to judge foundational shifts in scientific culture merely by firsts. ..
- Stolberg M. A woman down to her bones. The anatomy of sexual difference in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries. Isis. 2003;94:274-99 pubmed
- Conde Salazar L, del Rio E, Díaz Díaz R, Sierra X, Heras F. [Lupus erythematosus. Acute afebrile diffuse outbreak]. Actas Dermosifiliogr. 2007;98:437; discussion 438 pubmed
- Vastag B. Anatomy exhibit shows charm of grotesque. JAMA. 2002;288:2525-6, 2529 pubmed
- Valverde N. Small parts: Crisóstomo Martínez (1638-1694), bone histology, and the visual making of body wholeness. Isis. 2009;100:505-36 pubmed
- Sakai T. [Anatomical education in the late Meiji era --Lu Xun, doctor Fujino and their comtemporaries]. Kaibogaku Zasshi. 2007;82:21-31 pubmed..Lu Xun made clean copies in the first two months after matriculation, and made crude notes after then. Corrections by Professor Fujino were found in the crude notes for his lectures. ..
- Gans H. Case 23-2005: a man with a mass in the liver. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2195-7; author reply 2195-7 pubmed
- Banzo I, Quirce R, Martinez Rodriguez I, Jimenez Bonilla J, Sainz A, Carril J. [Atlas of isotopic renography images in the renal transplant complications]. Rev Esp Med Nucl. 2006;25:329-48 pubmed
- Lancaster J, Woldorff M, Parsons L, Liotti M, Freitas C, Rainey L, et al. Automated Talairach atlas labels for functional brain mapping. Hum Brain Mapp. 2000;10:120-31 pubmed..Additional suggested applications of the TD system include interactive labeling, anatomical grouping of activation foci, lesion-deficit analysis, and neuroanatomy education. ..
- Nicholls E. Selling anatomy: the role of the soul. Endeavour. 2002;26:47 pubmed
- Kuner N, Hartschuh W. [First descriptions in the "International atlas of rare skin diseases" of 1886]. Hautarzt. 2003;54:67-72 pubmed..Therefore, the "International Atlas was one of the first steps leading to the modern concepts of scientific publication in dermatology. ..
- Goodlett C, Davis B, Jean R, Gilmore J, Gerig G. Improved correspondence for DTI population studies via unbiased atlas building. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2006;9:260-7 pubmed..The anatomically significant correspondence provides a basis for comparison of tensor features and fiber tract geometry in clinical studies and for building DTI population atlases. ..
- Bondiau P, Malandain G, Chanalet S, Marcy P, Habrand J, Fauchon F, et al. Atlas-based automatic segmentation of MR images: validation study on the brainstem in radiotherapy context. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005;61:289-98 pubmed..Qualitative results also suggest that this method can be used for automatic segmentation of other organs such as neck, thorax, abdomen, pelvis, and limbs. ..
- Lusuardi L, Lodde M, Pycha A. Cutaneous ureterostomy. BJU Int. 2005;96:1149-59 pubmed
- Fraser R. Maude Abbott and the "Atlas of Congenital Cardiac Disease". Cardiovasc Pathol. 2006;15:233-5 pubmed
- Karenberg A. ["Transforming poetry into reality"--figures in the legends of antiquity in modern medicine]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2003;128:2698-706 pubmed
- Bazin P, Cuzzocreo J, Yassa M, Gandler W, McAuliffe M, Bassett S, et al. Volumetric neuroimage analysis extensions for the MIPAV software package. J Neurosci Methods. 2007;165:111-21 pubmed..Several studies are conducted applying the new tools to simulated and real neuroimaging data sets. ..
- Abbott A. Neuroscience: A new atlas of the brain. Nature. 2003;424:249-50 pubmed
- Buklijas T. [Medical science during the Nazi period: on the lecture by Daniel C. Angetter "Treatment and medical experimentation in the Dachau concentration camp"]. Lijec Vjesn. 2002;124:283-4 pubmed
- Morea M, De Paulis R. 'Il buso' (the orifice). How much did Leonardo know of the aortic valve?. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2007;8:399-403 pubmed
- Le Minor J, Sick H. The chair of anatomy in the Faculty of Medicine at Strasbourg: 350th anniversary of its foundation (1652-2002). Surg Radiol Anat. 2002;24:1-5 pubmed
- Catani M, Thiebaut de Schotten M. A diffusion tensor imaging tractography atlas for virtual in vivo dissections. Cortex. 2008;44:1105-32 pubmed publisher..The template can be used for single case studies and case-control comparisons. An atlas of the 3D reconstructions of the single tracts is also provided as anatomical reference in the Montreal Neurological Institute (MNI) space. ..
- Fletcher P, Venkatasubramanian S, Joshi S. The geometric median on Riemannian manifolds with application to robust atlas estimation. Neuroimage. 2009;45:S143-52 pubmed publisher..Using this approach, we also present a robust brain atlas estimation technique based on the geometric median in the space of deformable images. ..
- Bender J. MSJAMA. From theater to laboratory. JAMA. 2002;287:1179 pubmed
- Ehrhardt J, Handels H, Wegner T, Strathmann B, Plötz W, Pöppl S. An anatomical atlas to support the virtual planning of hip operations. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2000;77:1226-30 pubmed..The anatomical atlases are designed to replace the interactive, time-consuming pre-processing steps for the virtual 3D operation planning. ..
- Nowinski W, Yeo T, Thirunavuukarasuu A. Microelectrode-guided functional neurosurgery assisted by Electronic Clinical Brain Atlas CD-ROM. Comput Aided Surg. 1998;3:115-22 pubmed..It provides the neurosurgeon with a convenient and immediate means of accessing ancillary data that is usually only available in the printed form. ..
- Casale P, Canning D. Laparoscopic orchiopexy. BJU Int. 2007;100:1197-206 pubmed