biological science disciplines
Summary: All of the divisions of the natural sciences dealing with the various aspects of the phenomena of life and vital processes. The concept includes anatomy and physiology, biochemistry and biophysics, and the biology of animals, plants, and microorganisms. It should be differentiated from BIOLOGY, one of its subdivisions, concerned specifically with the origin and life processes of living organisms.
- Trono D. Switzerland and the Digital Health Revolution. Chimia (Aarau). 2016;70:851-852 pubmed publisher..The Swiss Federal government is investing in multidisciplinary, countrywide initiatives such as Health 2030 to meet this challenge. ..
- Boulesteix A, Janitza S, Hapfelmeier A, Van Steen K, Strobl C. Letter to the Editor: On the term 'interaction' and related phrases in the literature on Random Forests. Brief Bioinform. 2015;16:338-45 pubmed publisher..In this letter to the Editor, we aim to clarify some of the central statistical concepts and point out some confusing interpretations concerning RF given by Touw et al. and other authors. ..
- Lantz M, Shuler C. Trends in Basic Sciences Education in Dental Schools, 1999-2016. J Dent Educ. 2017;81:eS55-eS65 pubmed publisher..This article was written as part of the project "Advancing Dental Education in the 21st Century." ..
- Chou K. An Unprecedented Revolution in Medicinal Chemistry Driven by the Progress of Biological Science. Curr Top Med Chem. 2017;17:2337-2358 pubmed publisher..In this review article, we are to address this from several different angles. ..
- Melmed S, Vari S. Challenges in life sciences and health systems in the 21st century. Croat Med J. 2014;55:184-5 pubmed
- Rybinski M, Aldana Montes J. Calculating semantic relatedness for biomedical use in a knowledge-poor environment. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15 Suppl 14:S2 pubmed publisher..Our method improves flexibility of the existing methods without a notable loss of quality. It is a legitimate alternative to the costly construction of specialized knowledge-rich resources. ..
- Gomez Cabrero D, Abugessaisa I, Maier D, Teschendorff A, Merkenschlager M, Gisel A, et al. Data integration in the era of omics: current and future challenges. BMC Syst Biol. 2014;8 Suppl 2:I1 pubmed publisher..We have used a web-survey to assess current research projects on data-integration to tap into the views, needs and challenges as currently perceived by parts of the research community. ..
- GonzÃ¡lez BeltrÃ¡n A, Maguire E, Sansone S, Rocca Serra P. linkedISA: semantic representation of ISA-Tab experimental metadata. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15 Suppl 14:S4 pubmed publisher..Reasoning over ISA-Tab metadata and associated data will facilitate data integration and knowledge discovery. ..
- McCauley L. The Future of Dental Schools in Research Universities and Academic Health Centers. J Dent Educ. 2017;81:eS91-eS96 pubmed publisher..This article was written as part of the project "Advancing Dental Education in the 21st Century." ..
- McMurry J, Juty N, Blomberg N, Burdett T, Conlin T, Conte N, et al. Identifiers for the 21st century: How to design, provision, and reuse persistent identifiers to maximize utility and impact of life science data. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001414 pubmed publisher..We focus strongly on web-based identifiers in the life sciences; however, the principles are broadly relevant to other disciplines. ..
- ..Almost half of the projects are designed for PhD students and postdocs to train the next generation of systems biologists. The initiative will conclude in 2018; different measures will ensure its sustainable impact. ..
- Meder D, Morales M, Pepperkok R, Schlapbach R, Tiran A, Van Minnebruggen G. Institutional core facilities: prerequisite for breakthroughs in the life sciences: Core facilities play an increasingly important role in biomedical research by providing scientists access to sophisticated technology and expertise. EMBO Rep. 2016;17:1088-93 pubmed publisher
- Hara N, Chen H, Ynalvez M. Using egocentric analysis to investigate professional networks and productivity of graduate students and faculty in life sciences in Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186608 pubmed publisher..This study sheds light on the relationships of these invisible support networks to researcher productivity. ..