Summary: The construction or arrangement of a task so that it may be done with the greatest possible efficiency.
- Dyck P, Turner D, Davies J, O Brien P, Dyck P, Rask C. Electronic case-report forms of symptoms and impairments of peripheral neuropathy. Can J Neurol Sci. 2002;29:258-66 pubmed
- Thoman D. Working smarter with APCs. J AHIMA. 2001;72:30-6; quiz 37-8 pubmed..Are HIM professionals ready to make the most of APCs? This article suggests some strategies to improve the way we work with APCs, focus on complete and accurate coding, and improve our expertise. ..
- Cole J. Physician credentialing. A centralized verification system. Physician Exec. 1998;24:52-5 pubmed..However, the technology currently exists to store such information on a much grander scale. Credit unions, banks, and insurance companies utilize such computer systems effectively and with reasonable confidentiality. ..
- Wickham S. Twenty birthkit essentials. Pract Midwife. 2005;8:34 pubmed
- Steinke F, Seeger M, Tsuda K. Experimental design for efficient identification of gene regulatory networks using sparse Bayesian models. BMC Syst Biol. 2007;1:51 pubmed..The methods described in the paper are available as a Matlab package athttp://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/sparselinearmodel. ..
- ..The simple management of complexity, allows the definition of learning and of change strategies based on applying smart copying to innovation. ..
- Sopharak A, Uyyanonvara B, Barman S, Williamson T. Automatic detection of diabetic retinopathy exudates from non-dilated retinal images using mathematical morphology methods. Comput Med Imaging Graph. 2008;32:720-7 pubmed publisher..The results are successful and the sensitivity and specificity for our exudate detection is 80% and 99.5%, respectively. ..
- Conn J. Prescription for reducing paperwork. Medicare electronic prescriptions could be a step closer to reality. Mod Healthc. 2005;35:17 pubmed
- Schatz M, Trapnell C, Delcher A, Varshney A. High-throughput sequence alignment using Graphics Processing Units. BMC Bioinformatics. 2007;8:474 pubmed..MUMmerGPU demonstrates that even memory-intensive applications can run significantly faster on the relatively low-cost GPU than on the CPU. ..
- Klok F, Mos I, Nijkeuter M, Righini M, Perrier A, Le Gal G, et al. Simplification of the revised Geneva score for assessing clinical probability of pulmonary embolism. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:2131-6 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that simplification of the revised Geneva score does not lead to a decrease in diagnostic accuracy and clinical utility, which should be confirmed in a prospective study. ..
- Bos J, Kuijer P, Frings Dresen M. Definition and assessment of specific occupational demands concerning lifting, pushing, and pulling based on a systematic literature search. Occup Environ Med. 2002;59:800-6 pubmed
- Kiskinis E, Suter W, Hartmann A. High throughput Comet assay using 96-well plates. Mutagenesis. 2002;17:37-43 pubmed..By introducing the changes to our standard protocol, combined with automated image analysis, we were able to more than double our previous throughput...
- Capuano T, Bokovoy J, Halkins D, Hitchings K. Work flow analysis: eliminating non-value-added work. J Nurs Adm. 2004;34:246-56 pubmed
- Angelo L, Ferreri S. Assessment of workflow redesign in community pharmacy. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2005;45:145-50 pubmed..Given the drastic increase in counseling offers but lack of effect on counseling rates, patient behavior and expectations with regard to counseling likely need to change to further improve dynamics in the community pharmacy. ..
- Tüttelmann F, Luetjens C, Nieschlag E. Optimising workflow in andrology: a new electronic patient record and database. Asian J Androl. 2006;8:235-41 pubmed..Newly introduced systems should be versatile, adaptable for users, and workflow-oriented to yield the highest benefit. If ready-made software is purchased, customization should be implemented during rollout. ..
- Martin B, Bortfeld T, Castañon D. Accelerating IMRT optimization by voxel sampling. Phys Med Biol. 2007;52:7211-28 pubmed..Overall, we were able to achieve approximately an order of magnitude speedup on our test case as compared to steepest descent. ..
- Amatayakul M, Brandt M, Dougherty M. Working smart. Cut, copy, paste: EHR guidelines. J AHIMA. 2003;74:72, 74 pubmed
- Piccigallo M, Focacci F, Tonet O, Megali G, Quaglia C, Dario P. Hand-held robotic instrument for dextrous laparoscopic interventions. Int J Med Robot. 2008;4:331-8 pubmed publisher..The instrument presented is the result of a global study involving mechanical, electronic and ergonomic aspects, with the aim of developing an instrument that enhances the dexterity of the surgeon while having an intuitive interface. ..
- Tieman J. Panel offers ways to ease burdens of compliance. Mod Healthc. 2002;32:8-9 pubmed
- Nielsen R, Lindstrom E, Nielsen J, Levander S. DAI-10 is as good as DAI-30 in schizophrenia. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012;22:747-50 pubmed publisher..DAI is an easy-to-use self-report instrument seemingly assessing a unique clinical dimension relevant to non-adherence. DAI-10 might be preferred for its simplicity and good psychometric properties. ..
- Cowan D, Sands M, Rabizadeh S, Amos C, Ford C, Nussbaum R, et al. Electronic templates versus dictation for the completion of Mohs micrographic surgery operative notes. Dermatol Surg. 2007;33:588-95 pubmed..Electronic templates are a more accurate and rapid method compared to free-form oral dictation for the completion of Mohs micrographic surgery operative notes and have the advantage of being immediately available to review and sign. ..
- Weitzel M, Wiechert W, Nöh K. The topology of metabolic isotope labeling networks. BMC Bioinformatics. 2007;8:315 pubmed..This is an invaluable tool for the structural design of new experiments and the interpretation of measured data. ..
- Pezzullo J, Tung G, Rogg J, Davis L, Brody J, Mayo Smith W. Voice recognition dictation: radiologist as transcriptionist. J Digit Imaging. 2008;21:384-9 pubmed..In summary, in non-academic settings, utilizing radiologists as transcriptionists results in more error ridden radiology reports and increased costs compared with conventional transcription services. ..
- Berlinger N. Workarounds Are Routinely Used by Nurses-But Are They Ethical?. Am J Nurs. 2017;117:53-55 pubmed publisher..In this article, the author discusses how nurses can be creative problem solvers without resorting to practices that may be ethical in intent yet potentially harmful in their consequences. ..
- Miall B. Ergonomic applications assist the case manager in returning the client to work. Lippincotts Case Manag. 2005;10:170-1 pubmed
- Rossetti M, Felder R, Kumar A. Simulation of robotic courier deliveries in hospital distribution services. Health Care Manag Sci. 2000;3:201-13 pubmed
- Gardner J. Getting concrete on paperwork. Thompson, Scully set to try to make good on promise of regulatory relief. Mod Healthc. 2002;32:4-5, 14, 1 pubmed..HHS' new Advisory Committee on Regulatory Reform will take up the prickly problem as the latest battle to unburden the healthcare industry from needless distractions gears up. ..
- Schneider A, Kurtzman G. Simplifying single-stage solid abutments: Part 1. Impressions. Implant Dent. 2003;12:160-3 pubmed..A technique is discussed that utilizes standard crown and bridge techniques that simplifies the lab procedure and reduces the prosthetic costs involved with fabrication of implant borne crowns. ..
- Finkbeiner B. Four-handed dentistry: instrument transfer. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2001;2:57-76 pubmed..Objectives also include specific instrument grasps and descriptions of transfer methods that require practice on the part of the operating team in order to attain proficiency. ..
- Lindsay J, Pinnow E, Pichard A. Frequency of major adverse cardiac events within one month of coronary angioplasty: a useful measure of operator performance. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;34:1916-23 pubmed..The greater statistical power provided by one-month MACE rate offers advantages over the use of in-hospital complications for the analysis of operator performance. ..
- Kildea Pahl D, Baltimore J, Kosiara B. Outpatient surgery care unit work process redesign. J Perianesth Nurs. 2001;16:70-81 pubmed..A summary of the redesign process and its corresponding educational program is provided. Tools used to enhance efficiency and cost savings are also included. ..
- Parsons M, Reid D, Green C, Browning L, Hensley M. Evaluation of a shared-work program for reducing assistance provided to supported workers with severe multiple disabilities. Res Dev Disabil. 2002;23:1-16 pubmed..Future research needs discussed focus on evaluating shared-work approaches with other jobs, and developing additional community work models specifically for people with highly significant disabilities. ..
- Nakhleh R. Error reduction in surgical pathology. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2006;130:630-2 pubmed..Incremental adoption of information technology and automation along with improved training in patient safety and quality management can help reduce errors. ..
- Irwin J, Torres Urquidy M, Schleyer T, Monaco V. A preliminary model of work during initial examination and treatment planning appointments. Br Dent J. 2009;206:E1; discussion 24-5 pubmed publisher..Conclusion Current dental software could be significantly improved with regard to its support for communication and collaboration, workflow, information design and presentation, information content, and data entry. ..
- Norris S. Streamlining documentation in the primary care setting. Practical guidelines from NPs who made it work. Adv Nurse Pract. 2002;10:56-62 pubmed
- Ahdab M. The UNI/CARE perspective. Software implementation consortiums: a cost saving opportunity. Behav Healthc Tomorrow. 2003;Suppl:2-3 pubmed
- Jessee W. Time for a change. Current payer systems must be overhauled to reduce complexity, costs. Mod Healthc. 2003;33:26 pubmed
- Erstad T. Analyzing computer based patient records: a review of literature. J Healthc Inf Manag. 2003;17:51-7 pubmed..Clinicians who used CPRs found that electronic access to clinical information saves time and provides a thorough and efficient way to manage patient information. ..
- Mahady S. Adding flexibility to physician training. Med J Aust. 2011;194:460-2 pubmed..Pilot flexible training positions should be introduced across the medical specialties and educational outcomes examined prospectively. ..
- Creighton C. The origin and evolution of activity analysis. Am J Occup Ther. 1992;46:45-8 pubmed..Today, activity analysis is viewed as a multifaceted process that involves both generic and specific components. ..
- Ham N. Eradicate enrollment?. Health Manag Technol. 2004;25:58, 57 pubmed
- Miller L, Miller D. A collaborative interdisciplinary approach to electronic fetal monitoring: report of a statewide initiative. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2013;27:126-33 pubmed publisher..Challenges to implementation at individual institutions may include physician and nursing engagement as well as time and cost constraints. ..
- Caldwell G. Clinically lean; "cutting the crap". Acute Med. 2012;11:161-5 pubmed..He argues that "Cutting the Crap" in the Acute Medical Unit is entirely consistent with Lean approaches to management of complex systems. ..
- Marian A, Dexter F, Tucker P, Todd M. Comparison of alphabetical versus categorical display format for medication order entry in a simulated touch screen anesthesia information management system: an experiment in clinician-computer interaction in anesthesia. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2012;12:46 pubmed publisher..This testing approach using cognitive and usability engineering methods can be used to objectively design and evaluate many aspects of the clinician-computer interaction in electronic health records. ..
- Solberg L. The KISS principle in family practice: keep it simple and systematic. Fam Pract Manag. 2003;10:63-6 pubmed
- Lidén M, Andersson T, Geijer H. Alternative user interface devices for improved navigation of CT datasets. J Digit Imaging. 2011;24:126-34 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that alternative user interface devices can improve the navigation of stack mode datasets and that radiologists should consider the potential benefits of alternatives to the standard mouse. ..
- Westbrook J, Braithwaite J, Gibson K, Paoloni R, Callen J, Georgiou A, et al. Use of information and communication technologies to support effective work practice innovation in the health sector: a multi-site study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:201 pubmed publisher..This project will provide important evidence about the role of ICT in supporting new models of care delivery across multiple healthcare organizations and about the ways in which innovative work practice change is diffused. ..
- Abbas A. Lights, camera--and millions in action. West Coast health plan uses information technology to increase its claims volume, reduce labor expenses and become a provider of outsourced services where it used to be a consumer. Health Manag Technol. 2003;24:10-2 pubmed
- DesRoches C, Donelan K, Buerhaus P, Zhonghe L. Registered nurses' use of electronic health records: findings from a national survey. Medscape J Med. 2008;10:164 pubmed..This study is the first to provide national data on RNs' use of EHRs. It suggests important relationships between EHR use, quality improvement, and nursing excellence. ..
- Gracis S. Clinical considerations and rationale for the use of simplified instrumentation in occlusal rehabilitation. Part 2: setting of the articulator and occlusal optimization. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2003;23:139-45 pubmed
- Weadock V. MSDS technology made simple. Occup Health Saf. 2003;72:26 pubmed
- Touchstone A, Nieting T, Ulmer N. Digital transition: the collaboration between dentists and laboratory technicians on CAD/CAM restorations. J Am Dent Assoc. 2010;141 Suppl 2:15S-9S pubmed..Digital restorative dentistry has matured. Although it previously was limited to the chairside single-visit treatment concept, it now can be applied to almost any restorative situation, including full-mouth rehabilitation. ..