Genomes and Genes
task performance and analysis
Summary: The detailed examination of observable activity or behavior associated with the execution or completion of a required function or unit of work.
- Ousdal O, Reckless G, Server A, Andreassen O, Jensen J. Effect of relevance on amygdala activation and association with the ventral striatum. Neuroimage. 2012;62:95-101 pubmed publisher..Thus, the results may indicate that human amygdala modulates ventral striatum activity and subsequent behaviors beyond that observed for emotional cues, to encompass a broader range of relevant stimuli. ..
- Scicluna H, Grimm M, O Sullivan A, Harris P, Pilotto L, Jones P, et al. Clinical capabilities of graduates of an outcomes-based integrated medical program. BMC Med Educ. 2012;12:23 pubmed publisher..The program-wide curriculum reform at UNSW has had a major impact in developing capabilities in new graduates that are important for 21st century medical practice. ..
- Dispa D, Lejeune T, Thonnard J. The effect of repetitive rhythmic precision grip task-oriented rehabilitation in chronic stroke patients: a pilot study. Int J Rehabil Res. 2013;36:81-7 pubmed publisher..Precision grip training was shown to not generate significant improvement in the grip-lift task, digital dexterity, manual ability, or satisfaction in chronic stroke patients. ..
- Birkett E, Talcott J. Interval timing in children: effects of auditory and visual pacing stimuli and relationships with reading and attention variables. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42820 pubmed publisher..Dissociations between these patterns of relationship across task modality suggest that not all timing tasks are equivalent. ..
- Christensen K, Kizach J, Nyvad A. Escape from the island: grammaticality and (reduced) acceptability of wh-island violations in Danish. J Psycholinguist Res. 2013;42:51-70 pubmed publisher..Since the standard assumptions cannot account for the range of results, we argue in favor of a processing account referring to locality (processing domains) and working memory. ..
- Sturnieks D, Menant J, Vanrenterghem J, Delbaere K, Fitzpatrick R, Lord S. Sensorimotor and neuropsychological correlates of force perturbations that induce stepping in older adults. Gait Posture. 2012;36:356-60 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that balance, strength and agility training, in addition to cognitive exercises may enhance the ability to withstand unexpected balance perturbations and reduce the risk of falls in older people. ..
- Heuer H, Klimmer F, Luttmann A, Bolbach U. Specificity of motor learning in simulator training of endoscopic-surgery skills. Ergonomics. 2012;55:1157-65 pubmed publisher..A candidate is augmented visual feedback, in particular a direct rather than endoscopic view of the site. However, performance becomes dependent on the augmented feedback so that the costs outweigh the benefits. ..
- Bonny J, Lourenco S. The approximate number system and its relation to early math achievement: evidence from the preschool years. J Exp Child Psychol. 2013;114:375-88 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that early-developing connections between the ANS and mathematics may be fundamentally discontinuous. Possible mechanisms underlying such nonlinearity are discussed. ..
- Doron K, Bassett D, Gazzaniga M. Dynamic network structure of interhemispheric coordination. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:18661-8 pubmed publisher..Our work illustrates that recently developed dynamic, network-based analysis techniques can provide novel and previously unapproachable insights into the role of interhemispheric coordination in cognition. ..
- Adamo N, Huo L, Adelsberg S, Petkova E, Castellanos F, Di Martino A. Response time intra-subject variability: commonalities between children with autism spectrum disorders and children with ADHD. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2014;23:69-79 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that children with ADHD and those with ASD(+) share common underlying pathophysiological mechanisms of RT-ISV. ..
- Bendixen A, Andersen S. Measuring target detection performance in paradigms with high event rates. Clin Neurophysiol. 2013;124:928-40 pubmed publisher..Thus overcoming the measurement bias of previous approaches, our method will help to clarify the behavioral relevance of different measures of cortical activation. ..
- van Wel J, Kuypers K, Theunissen E, Bosker W, Bakker K, Ramaekers J. Effects of acute MDMA intoxication on mood and impulsivity: role of the 5-HT2 and 5-HT1 receptors. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40187 pubmed publisher..5-HT(1) receptors do not appear to be involved in MDMA effects on mood and impulse control. Nederlands Trial Register NTR2352. ..
- Triano J, Descarreaux M, Dugas C. Biomechanics--review of approaches for performance training in spinal manipulation. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2012;22:732-9 pubmed publisher..Rehearsals should balance use of simulators and volunteer simulated patients to provide the full range of safe and effective learning opportunities prior to students accepting a role as care givers to the public in any clinical setting. ..
- Damborská A, Brazdil M, Rektor I, Janousova E, Chladek J, Kukleta M. Late divergence of target and nontarget ERPs in a visual oddball task. Physiol Res. 2012;61:307-18 pubmed..Finding of late divergence indicates that functional differences exist even not sooner than during the final phase of the task. ..
- Villanueva I, Valladares M, Goodridge W. Use of Galvanic Skin Responses, Salivary Biomarkers, and Self-reports to Assess Undergraduate Student Performance During a Laboratory Exam Activity. J Vis Exp. 2016;:e53255 pubmed publisher..The work can expand educational research capabilities through more comprehensive methods for obtaining nearer to real-time student responses to an examination activity. ..
- van den Besselaar P, Sandström U. Vicious circles of gender bias, lower positions, and lower performance: Gender differences in scholarly productivity and impact. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183301 pubmed publisher..Gender differences in age, authorship position, and academic rank do explain quite a part of the productivity differences. ..
- Ribeiro L, Severo M, Ferreira M. Performance of a core of transversal skills: self-perceptions of undergraduate medical students. BMC Med Educ. 2016;16:18 pubmed publisher..42-5.45). In this line, the early exposure to research activities along undergraduate medical education is an added value for students and the implementation of an integrated research program on medical curriculum should be considered. ..
- Correll M, Gleicher M. Error Bars Considered Harmful: Exploring Alternate Encodings for Mean and Error. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2014;20:2142-51 pubmed publisher..We suggest the use of gradient plots (which use transparency to encode uncertainty) and violin plots (which use width) as better alternatives for inferential tasks than bar charts with error bars. ..
- Wang Y, Nakanishi M, Wang Y, Wei C, Cheng C, Jung T. An Online Brain-Computer Interface Based on SSVEPs Measured From Non-Hair-Bearing Areas. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2017;25:11-18 pubmed publisher..The empirical results of this study demonstrated the practicality of implementing an SSVEP-based BCI based on signals from non-hair-bearing areas, significantly improving the feasibility and practicality of real-world BCIs. ..
- Woods M, Watsford M, Cavanagh B, Pruyn E. Factors affecting jump performance in professional Australian rules footballers. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2015;55:1114-21 pubmed..Movement velocity appears to be an important factor contributing to jump performance; however, lower body power and Kleg are also important for jump performance. ..
- Simpson B, McCluskey A, Lannin N, Cordier R. Feasibility of a home-based program to improve handwriting after stroke: a pilot study. Disabil Rehabil. 2016;38:673-82 pubmed publisher..Improving handwriting legibility and neatness across a range of tasks were important goals for adults with handwriting impairment. ..
- Malisoux L, Gette P, Urhausen A, Bomfim J, Theisen D. Influence of sports flooring and shoes on impact forces and performance during jump tasks. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186297 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cushioning influenced impact forces during standardised jump tasks, whether it was provided by the shoes or the sports flooring. VILR is the variable that was the most affected...
- Weilnhammer V, Stuke H, Hesselmann G, Sterzer P, Schmack K. A predictive coding account of bistable perception - a model-based fMRI study. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005536 pubmed publisher..In this, our approach posits a crucial role of prediction error signalling for the resolution of perceptual ambiguities. ..
- Koopmann T, Steggemann Weinrich Y, Baumeister J, Krause D. Mental Rotation of Tactical Instruction Displays Affects Information Processing Demand and Execution Accuracy in Basketball. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2017;88:365-370 pubmed publisher..According to these results, coaches should align their tactic boards to their players' on-court viewing perspective. ..
- Regazzoni P, Fernandez A, Perren S. Balancing Success and Risk in Orthopedic Trauma Surgery: The Ridge-Walking between Sound Accepting "Good" and Risky Striving for "Better". Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2016;83:9-15 pubmed..Documentation like ICUC1 provides this opportunity for scrutiny and may allow better understanding of some unexpected post-operative evolutions. ..
- Forster S, Lavie N. Establishing the Attention-Distractibility Trait. Psychol Sci. 2016;27:203-12 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest the existence of an attention-distractibility trait that confers vulnerability to irrelevant distraction, which can be remedied by increasing the level of perceptual load during the task. ..
- Hildreth J, Anderson C. Failure at the top: How power undermines collaborative performance. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2016;110:261-86 pubmed publisher..Therefore, group processes are the key problem for groups of high power individuals when they work together. ..
- FitzGerald T, Hämmerer D, Friston K, Li S, Dolan R. Sequential inference as a mode of cognition and its correlates in fronto-parietal and hippocampal brain regions. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005418 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide, to our knowledge, the first evidence for sequential inference in human cognition, and by exploiting between-subject variation in this measure we provide pointers to its neuronal substrates...
- Mundy P, Lake J, Carden P, Smith N, Lauder M. Agreement between the force platform method and the combined method measurements of power output during the loaded countermovement jump. Sports Biomech. 2016;15:23-35 pubmed publisher..As such, if power output is to be meaningfully investigated, a standardised method must be adopted. ..
- Armstrong R, Noltie D, Eagleson R, de Ribaupierre S. An Examination of Metrics for a Simulated Ventriculostomy Part-Task. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2016;220:29-32 pubmed..As an initial study, we examine how our metrics relate to expert classification of scenario difficulty as well as measures of anatomical variation. ..
- Wang J, Zou P, Li P. Critical factors and paths influencing construction workers' safety risk tolerances. Accid Anal Prev. 2016;93:267-279 pubmed publisher..This research provides an in-depth insight of workers' unsafe behaviors by depicting the contributing factors as shown in the accident causal model developed in this research. ..
- Lindner C, Nagy G, Ramos Arhuis W, Retelsdorf J. A new perspective on the interplay between self-control and cognitive performance: Modeling progressive depletion patterns. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180149 pubmed publisher..By modeling progressive ego-depletion effects while considering trait self-control, we provide an alternative approach that may help future researchers to investigate the underlying mechanisms of self-control. ..
- Dowell N, Evans S, Tofts P, King S, Tabet N, Rusted J. Structural and resting-state MRI detects regional brain differences in young and mid-age healthy APOE-e4 carriers compared with non-APOE-e4 carriers. NMR Biomed. 2016;29:614-24 pubmed publisher..The cuneus appears to be an important region for APOE-driven differences in the brain, with greater functional connectivity among young e3/e3 individuals and greater white matter volume in young e4+ individuals. ..
- Oh E, Lee H, Kim Y, Sung J, Park Y, Yoo J, et al. [Current Status of Home Visit Programs: Activities and Barriers of Home Care Nursing Services]. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2015;45:742-51 pubmed publisher..Therefore, these results suggest that existing home care services will need to be utilized efficiently in the development of a new nursing care service for patients living in the community after hospital discharge. ..
- Kurz R, Yager C, Yager J, Foster A, Breidenbach D, Irwin Z. Advancing the Certified in Public Health Examination: A Job Task Analysis. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:518-523 pubmed publisher..Additional steps are needed to further modify the content outline of the examination. An empirical assessment of public health job tasks, using methods such as principal components analysis, may provide additional insight. ..
- Pinegger A, Hiebel H, Wriessnegger S, Muller Putz G. Composing only by thought: Novel application of the P300 brain-computer interface. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181584 pubmed publisher..Showing very positive results with healthy people in this study, this was the first step towards a music composing system for severely disabled people. ..
- Sattelmayer M, Elsig S, Hilfiker R, Baer G. A systematic review and meta-analysis of selected motor learning principles in physiotherapy and medical education. BMC Med Educ. 2016;16:15 pubmed publisher..For the remaining parameters that were reviewed there was insufficient evidence to make definitive recommendations. ..
- Lundgren L, Tran T, Nimphius S, Raymond E, Secomb J, Farley O, et al. Comparison of impact forces, accelerations and ankle range of motion in surfing-related landing tasks. J Sports Sci. 2016;34:1051-7 pubmed publisher..05 and P ? 0.001), for front and rear sides, respectively. Conclusively, increased task complexity and specificity of the sport increased the tibial peak acceleration, indicating greater training load. ..
- Rucker J, McDowd J, Mahnken J, Burns J, Sabus C, Britton Carpenter A, et al. Multitasking in older adults with type 2 diabetes: A cross-sectional analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186583 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to compare multitasking performance in cognitively intact older adults with and without DM and explore its relationship to measures of gait and functional ability...
- Deshmukh R, Kaundal M, Bansal V, Samardeep -. Caffeic acid attenuates oxidative stress, learning and memory deficit in intra-cerebroventricular streptozotocin induced experimental dementia in rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;81:56-62 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the therapeutic potential of caffeic acid in cognitive disorders such as AD. ..
- Ford J, Kensinger E. Age-Related Reversals in Neural Recruitment across Memory Retrieval Phases. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5172-5182 pubmed publisher..Future research should examine the generalizability of this effect and the importance of encouraging older adults to engage in these processes through task instruction or questions. ..
- Maula H, Hongisto V, Ã–stman L, Haapakangas A, Koskela H, HyÃ¶nÃ¤ J. The effect of slightly warm temperature on work performance and comfort in open-plan offices - a laboratory study. Indoor Air. 2016;26:286-97 pubmed publisher..No effect of temperature on other symptoms was found. As expected, the differences in thermal comfort were significant. Women perceived a temperature of 23Â°C colder than men. ..
- Mau Moeller A, Jacksteit R, Jackszis M, Feldhege F, Weippert M, Mittelmeier W, et al. Neuromuscular function of the quadriceps muscle during isometric maximal, submaximal and submaximal fatiguing voluntary contractions in knee osteoarthrosis patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176976 pubmed publisher..It is recommended that the rehabilitation includes strengthening and fatiguing exercises at maximal and submaximal force levels. ..
- Hansen C, Rezzoug N, Gorce P, Venture G, Isableu B. Sequence-dependent rotation axis changes and interaction torque use in overarm throwing. J Sports Sci. 2016;34:878-85 pubmed publisher..The sequence-dependent rotation axes changes associated with the use of interaction torque during the acceleration phase could be a key factor in the production of hand velocity at ball release. ..
- Rispin K, Wee J. A paired outcomes study comparing two pediatric wheelchairs for low-resource settings: the regency pediatric wheelchair and a similarly sized wheelchair made in Kenya. Assist Technol. 2014;26:88-95 pubmed..Both wheelchairs are designed for and distributed in less-resourced settings. The Regency chair significantly outperformed the APDK chair in one of the energy cost assessments on both surfaces and in one of three timed skills tests. ..
- Genovese B, Yin S, Sareh S, DeVirgilio M, Mukdad L, Davis J, et al. Surgical Hand Tracking in Open Surgery Using a Versatile Motion Sensing System: Are We There Yet?. Am Surg. 2016;82:872-875 pubmed..These data warrant further analysis for its predictive value in larger cohorts at different levels of training and may be a useful tool in competence-based training paradigms in the future. ..
- Choe K, Kardan O, Kotabe H, Henderson J, Berman M. To search or to like: Mapping fixations to differentiate two forms of incidental scene memory. J Vis. 2017;17:8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that not all incidental encoding tasks should be taken to be similar, as different mechanisms (e.g., explicit or implicit) lead to memory enhancements or decrements for different incidental encoding tasks...
- Nees M, Helbein B, Porter A. Speech Auditory Alerts Promote Memory for Alerted Events in a Video-Simulated Self-Driving Car Ride. Hum Factors. 2016;58:416-26 pubmed publisher..Speech auditory displays showed promise as a means of increasing Level 1 situation awareness of routine scenarios during an autonomous vehicle ride with an unrelated secondary task. ..
- Collado Mateo D, Domínguez Muñoz F, Olivares P, Adsuar J, Gusi N. Stair negotiation in women with fibromyalgia: A descriptive correlational study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8364 pubmed publisher..Given the importance of the stair negotiation as activity of daily living and the high reliability, both stair ascent and descent tasks may be useful as outcome measures in studies on patients with fibromyalgia...
- Schimmel D, Sweis R, Cohen E, Davidson C, Wayne D. Targeting clinical outcomes: Endovascular simulation improves diagnostic coronary angiography skills. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;87:383-8 pubmed publisher..SBME significantly improved cardiovascular fellows' performance of simulated coronary angiography skills. Standardized simulation-based education is a valuable adjunct to traditional clinical education for cardiovascular fellows. ..
- Bento Torres N, Bento Torres J, Tomas A, Costa V, Corrêa P, Costa C, et al. Influence of schooling and age on cognitive performance in healthy older adults. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2017;50:e5892 pubmed publisher..In addition, we suggest that CANTAB may be useful to detect subtle cognitive changes in healthy aging. ..
- Coull N, Chrismas B, Watson P, Horsfall R, Taylor L. Tyrosine Ingestion and Its Effects on Cognitive and Physical Performance in the Heat. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016;48:277-86 pubmed publisher..74) between TYR (19.78 ± 3.44 min) and placebo (20.29 ± 3.55 min). Despite marked elevations in serum TYR concentration, ingestion of TYR did not influence cognitive function or physical performance during exercise heat stress. ..
- Sheppard P, Stevenson J, Graham R. Sex-based differences in lifting technique under increasing load conditions: A principal component analysis. Appl Ergon. 2016;54:186-95 pubmed publisher..In addition, as load increased male and female participants changed their lifting technique in a similar manner. ..