Genomes and Genes
Summary: The physiological processes and techniques used by the body to prevent neuronal injury and degeneration in the central nervous system following acute disorders or as a result of chronic neurodegenerative diseases.
- Jiang M, Yu S, Yu Z, Sheng H, Li Y, Liu S, et al. XBP1 (X-Box-Binding Protein-1)-Dependent O-GlcNAcylation Is Neuroprotective in Ischemic Stroke in Young Mice and Its Impairment in Aged Mice Is Rescued by Thiamet-G. Stroke. 2017;48:1646-1654 pubmed publisher..The rationale of this study was to explore the potentials of the IRE1/XBP1/O-GlcNAc axis as a target for neuroprotection in ischemic stroke. Mice with Xbp1 loss and gain of function in neurons were generated...
- Schulze J, Kaiser O, Paasche G, Lamm H, Pich A, Hoffmann A, et al. Effect of hyperbaric oxygen on BDNF-release and neuroprotection: Investigations with human mesenchymal stem cells and genetically modified NIH3T3 fibroblasts as putative cell therapeutics. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178182 pubmed publisher..HBO treatment did not influence (increase / reduce) this effect. Secretome analysis showed that HBO treatment altered the protein expression pattern in MSCs. ..
- Rodríguez Fanjul J, Duran Fernández Feijoo C, Lopez Abad M, Lopez Ramos M, Balada Caballé R, Alcántara Horillo S, et al. Neuroprotection with hypothermia and allopurinol in an animal model of hypoxic-ischemic injury: Is it a gender question?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184643 pubmed publisher..Despite this, TH does not provide complete neuroprotection. Allopurinol seems to be a good neuroprotector in several animal studies, but it has never been tested in ..
- Asatryan A, Bazan N. Molecular mechanisms of signaling via the docosanoid neuroprotectin D1 for cellular homeostasis and neuroprotection. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12390-12397 pubmed publisher..We summarize here how NPD1 elicits neuroprotection by up-regulating c-REL, a nuclear factor (NF)-?B subtype that, in turn, enhances expression of BIRC3 (..
- Liu L, Jiang Y, Steinle J. Inhibition of HMGB1 protects the retina from ischemia-reperfusion, as well as reduces insulin resistance proteins. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178236 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that inhibition of HMGB1 can reduce retinal insulin resistance, as well as protect the retina against I/R-induced damage. ..
- Madathil S, Carlson S, Brelsfoard J, Ye P, D Ercole A, Saatman K. Astrocyte-Specific Overexpression of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 Protects Hippocampal Neurons and Reduces Behavioral Deficits following Traumatic Brain Injury in Mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67204 pubmed publisher..Hippocampal neuroprotection achieved by IGF-1 overexpression was accompanied by improved motor and cognitive function in brain-injured ..
- Ugbode C, Smith I, Whalley B, Hirst W, Rattray M. Sonic hedgehog signalling mediates astrocyte crosstalk with neurons to confer neuroprotection. J Neurochem. 2017;142:429-443 pubmed publisher..Altogether the results show that SHH regulation of astrocyte function represents an endogenous neuroprotective mechanism. ..
- Eizaga Rebollar R, García Palacios M, Morales Guerrero J, Torres Morera L. Neurotoxicity versus Neuroprotection of Anesthetics: Young Children on the Ropes?. Paediatr Drugs. 2017;19:271-275 pubmed publisher..The "new" major factor influencing neurotoxicity-nociceptive stimulus-is discussed together with other factors to develop clinical and research strategies to obtain a balance between neurotoxicity and neuroprotection.
- Gozes I. The cytoskeleton as a drug target for neuroprotection: the case of the autism- mutated ADNP. Biol Chem. 2016;397:177-84 pubmed publisher..The ADNP-EB-binding SIP domain is shared with the ADNP snippet drug candidate, NAPVSIPQ termed NAP (davunetide). Thus, we identified a precise target for ADNP/NAP (davunetide) neuroprotection toward improved drug development.
- DeVos S, Hyman B. Tau at the Crossroads between Neurotoxicity and Neuroprotection. Neuron. 2017;94:703-704 pubmed publisher..2016) recently showed that specific tau phosphorylation is neuroprotective, phenocopying tau ablation (DeVos et al., 2017), thus highlighting the complex tau biology that underlies neurotoxicity and neuroprotection.
- Hwang J, Aromolaran K, Zukin R. The emerging field of epigenetics in neurodegeneration and neuroprotection. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2017;18:347-361 pubmed publisher..Although not somatically heritable, epigenetic modifications in neurons are dynamic and reversible, which makes them good targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Liu Y, Hao S, Yang B, Fan Y, Qin X, Chen Y, et al. Wnt/?-catenin signaling plays an essential role in ?7 nicotinic receptor-mediated neuroprotection of dopaminergic neurons in a mouse Parkinson's disease model. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;140:115-123 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that endogenous ?7-nAChR mechanisms play a crucial role in a mouse PD model via regulation of Wnt/?-catenin signaling. ..
- Herz J, Filiano A, Smith A, Yogev N, Kipnis J. Myeloid Cells in the Central Nervous System. Immunity. 2017;46:943-956 pubmed publisher..We highlight the neuroprotective nature of certain myeloid cells by emphasizing their therapeutic potential for the treatment of neurological conditions. ..
- Sabia S, Dugravot A, Dartigues J, Abell J, Elbaz A, Kivimaki M, et al. Physical activity, cognitive decline, and risk of dementia: 28 year follow-up of Whitehall II cohort study. BMJ. 2017;357:j2709 pubmed publisher..Previous findings showing a lower risk of dementia in physically active people may be attributable to reverse causation-that is, due to a decline in physical activity levels in the preclinical phase of dementia. ..
- Wang K, Zhu X, Zhang K, Zhou F, Zhu L. Neuroprotective effect of tetramethylpyrazine against all-trans-retinal toxicity in the differentiated Y-79 cells via upregulation of IRBP expression. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:120-128 pubmed publisher..The present study significantly contributes to better understanding the important role of IRBP in retinal degenerative diseases and forms the basis of the therapeutic development of TMP in such diseases in the future. ..
- Andrabi S, Parvez S, Tabassum H. Progesterone induces neuroprotection following reperfusion-promoted mitochondrial dysfunction after focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:787-796 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these results demonstrate that P4 treatment is beneficial in preserving the mitochondrial functions that are altered in cerebral ischemic injury and thus can help in defining better therapies. ..
- De Franceschi G, Fecchio C, Sharon R, Schapira A, Proukakis C, Bellotti V, et al. ?-Synuclein structural features inhibit harmful polyunsaturated fatty acid oxidation, suggesting roles in neuroprotection. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:6927-6937 pubmed publisher..Our findings linking aS scavenging activity with brain lipid composition suggest a possible etiological mechanism in some neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Takahama S, Adetunji M, Zhao T, Chen S, Li W, Tomarev S. Retinal Astrocytes and GABAergic Wide-Field Amacrine Cells Express PDGFR?: Connection to Retinal Ganglion Cell Neuroprotection by PDGF-AA. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4703-4711 pubmed publisher..intravitreal injection of platelet-derived growth factor-AA (PDGF-AA) provides retinal ganglion cell (RGC) neuroprotection in a rodent model of glaucoma...
- Melentijevic I, Tóth M, Arnold M, Guasp R, Harinath G, Nguyen K, et al. C. elegans neurons jettison protein aggregates and mitochondria under neurotoxic stress. Nature. 2017;542:367-371 pubmed publisher..Complicating the challenges of neuroprotection, misfolded human disease proteins and mitochondria can move into neighbouring cells via unknown mechanisms, ..