Genomes and Genes
Summary: Formation of NEURONS which involves the differentiation and division of STEM CELLS in which one or both of the daughter cells become neurons.
- Fukushima Nakayama Y, Ono T, Hayashi M, Inoue M, Wake H, Ono T, et al. Reduced Mastication Impairs Memory Function. J Dent Res. 2017;96:1058-1066 pubmed publisher..The functional linkage between mastication and brain was validated by the decrease in neurons, neurogenesis, neuronal activity, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression in the hippocampus...
- Li K, Cheng X, Jiang J, Wang J, Xie J, Hu X, et al. The toxic influence of paraquat on hippocampal neurogenesis in adult mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;106:356-366 pubmed publisher..This study investigated its effects on hippocampal neurogenesis and cognition in adult mice as well as possible mechanisms for the effects. We administered paraquat (1...
- Sánchez Mendoza E, Bellver Landete V, Arce C, Doeppner T, Hermann D, Oset Gasque M. Vesicular glutamate transporters play a role in neuronal differentiation of cultured SVZ-derived neural precursor cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177069 pubmed publisherThe role of glutamate in the regulation of neurogenesis is well-established, but the role of vesicular glutamate transporters (VGLUTs) and excitatory amino acid transporters (EAATs) in controlling adult neurogenesis is unknown...
- García González D, Khodosevich K, Watanabe Y, Rollenhagen A, Lübke J, Monyer H. Serotonergic Projections Govern Postnatal Neuroblast Migration. Neuron. 2017;94:534-549.e9 pubmed publisher..We speculate that serotonergic modulation of postnatally generated neuroblast migration is evolutionarily conserved as indicated by the presence of serotonergic axons in migratory paths in other vertebrates. ..
- Coulthard L, Hawksworth O, Li R, Balachandran A, Lee J, Sepehrband F, et al. Complement C5aR1 Signaling Promotes Polarization and Proliferation of Embryonic Neural Progenitor Cells through PKCζ. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5395-5407 pubmed publisher..Transient inhibition of C5aR1 during neurogenesis in developing mice led to behavioral abnormalities in both sexes and MRI-detected brain microstructural ..
- Yuan X, Li Z, Baines A, Gavriilaki E, Ye Z, Wen Z, et al. A hypomorphic PIGA gene mutation causes severe defects in neuron development and susceptibility to complement-mediated toxicity in a human iPSC model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174074 pubmed publisher..1234C>T hiPSCs demonstrate increased susceptibility to complement-mediated cytotoxicity, suggesting that defective complement regulation may contribute to neurodevelopmental disorders. ..
- Endesfelder S, Makki H, von Haefen C, Spies C, Buhrer C, Sifringer M. Neuroprotective effects of dexmedetomidine against hyperoxia-induced injury in the developing rat brain. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0171498 pubmed publisher..In the present study, we investigated the effects of dexmedetomidine on hippocampal neurogenesis, specifically the proliferation capacity and maturation of neurons and neuronal plasticity following the ..
- Sando R, Bushong E, Zhu Y, Huang M, Considine C, Phan S, et al. Assembly of Excitatory Synapses in the Absence of Glutamatergic Neurotransmission. Neuron. 2017;94:312-321.e3 pubmed publisher..These results underscore the instructive role of intrinsic mechanisms in synapse formation. ..
- Kang S, Kim S, Kim M. Oxidative stress with tau hyperphosphorylation in memory impaired 1,2-diacetylbenzene-treated mice. Toxicol Lett. 2017;279:53-59 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it is known DAB increases oxidative stress and protein adduct levels and impairs hippocampal neurogenesis in mice. The authors examined the relevance of oxidative stress and tau hyperphosphorylation in the hippocampus...
- Alberti C, Cochella L. A framework for understanding the roles of miRNAs in animal development. Development. 2017;144:2548-2559 pubmed publisher..This view could help to shed new light on our understanding of miRNA function in development, disease and evolution. ..
- Yang W, Zheng X, Chen S, Shan C, Xu Q, Zhu J, et al. Chinese herbal medicine for Alzheimer's disease: Clinical evidence and possible mechanism of neurogenesis. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;141:143-155 pubmed publisher..Chinese herbal medicine (CHM) is purported to ameliorate AD progression, perhaps by promoting hippocampal neurogenesis. Here, we conducted an updated systematic review to investigate the efficacy and safety of CHM for AD based on ..
- Sun D, Zhou X, Yu H, He X, Guo W, Xiong W, et al. Regulation of neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation by Kinesin family member 2a. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179047 pubmed publisher..found that knockdown of Kif2a decreased the protein level of ?-catenin, which is a critical molecule for neocortical neurogenesis. Together, these results reveal an important function of Kif2a in embryonic neocortical neurogenesis.
- Lewis P, Bradley I, Pizzey A, Isaacs H, Evans G. N1-Src Kinase Is Required for Primary Neurogenesis in Xenopus tropicalis. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8477-8485 pubmed publisher..is regulated in embryogenesis, with highest levels detected during the phases of primary and secondary neurogenesis. In situ hybridization analysis, using locked nucleic acid oligo probes complementary to the n1-srcMarkus Koch A, Schmitt O, Seemann S, Lukas J, Koczan D, Ernst M, et al. ADAM23 promotes neuronal differentiation of human neural progenitor cells. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2017;22:16 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ADAM23 regulates neuronal differentiation by triggering specific signaling pathways during hNPC differentiation. ..Lobanova A, She R, Pieraut S, Clapp C, Maximov A, Denchi E. Different requirements of functional telomeres in neural stem cells and terminally differentiated neurons. Genes Dev. 2017;31:639-647 pubmed publisher..We found that functional telomeres are required for embryonic and adult neurogenesis, but their uncapping has surprisingly no detectable consequences on terminally differentiated neurons...Gu L, Cui X, Wei W, Yang J, Li X. Ferulic acid promotes survival and differentiation of neural stem cells to prevent gentamicin-induced neuronal hearing loss. Exp Cell Res. 2017;360:257-263 pubmed publisher..Our data, for the first time, support potential therapeutic efficacy of FA in promoting survival and differentiation of NSCs to prevent gentamicin-induced neuronal hearing loss. ..Oshikawa M, Okada K, Tabata H, Nagata K, Ajioka I. Dnmt1-dependent Chk1 pathway suppression is protective against neuron division. Development. 2017;144:3303-3314 pubmed publisher..During neurogenesis, cortical neurons became protected from S-phase Chk1 pathway activation by the DNA methyltransferase Dnmt1, and ..Rossi M, Spichty M, Attorri L, Distante C, Nervi C, Salvati S, et al. Eicosapentaenoic acid modulates the synergistic action of CREB1 and ID/E2A family members in the rat pup brain and mouse embryonic stem cells. Biochim Biophys Acta Gene Regul Mech. 2017;1860:870-884 pubmed publisher..Our current research on the EPA-CREB axis could reveal new molecular targets for treating neurogenerative disease. ..Cottee P, Cole T, Schultz J, Hoang H, Vibbert J, Han S, et al. The C. elegans VAPB homolog VPR-1 is a permissive signal for gonad development. Development. 2017;144:2187-2199 pubmed publisher..These results support the model that the secreted VPR-1 MSPd acts at least in part on gonadal sheath cell precursors in L1 to early L2 stage hermaphrodites to permit gonadogenesis. ..Dinel A, Joffre C, Trifilieff P, Aubert A, Foury A, Le Ruyet P, et al. Inflammation early in life is a vulnerability factor for emotional behavior at adolescence and for lipopolysaccharide-induced spatial memory and neurogenesis alteration at adulthood. J Neuroinflammation. 2014;11:155 pubmed publisher..and spatial memory at adolescence and adulthood and whether stress axis activity, inflammatory response and neurogenesis were affected...Roberson S, Halpern M. Convergence of signaling pathways underlying habenular formation and axonal outgrowth in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:2652-2662 pubmed publisher..The results define a signaling network underlying the generation of dHb neurons and connectivity with their midbrain target. ..Botti V, McNicoll F, Steiner M, Richter F, Solovyeva A, Wegener M, et al. Cellular differentiation state modulates the mRNA export activity of SR proteins. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1993-2009 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that posttranslational modification of SR proteins underlies the regulation of their mRNA export activities and distinguishes pluripotent from differentiated cells. ..Shida M, Mikami T, Tamura J, Kitagawa H. A characteristic chondroitin sulfate trisaccharide unit with a sulfated fucose branch exhibits neurite outgrowth-promoting activity: Novel biological roles of fucosylated chondroitin sulfates isolated from the sea cucumber Apostichopus japonicus. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;487:678-683 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, FCS trisaccharide units with 2,4-O-disulfated fucose branches may provide new insights into understanding the structure-function relations of CS chains. ..Yu J, Zhu H, Perry S, Taheri S, Kindy M. Daily supplementation with GrandFusion® improves memory and learning in aged rats. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:1041-1054 pubmed publisher..vegetables that contribute to reduced oxidative stress, inflammation and cell death while potentially enhancing neurogenesis. The present study was performed to determine the impact of supplementation with GrandFusion®(GF) ..Martinez de Paz A, Ausio J. MeCP2, A Modulator of Neuronal Chromatin Organization Involved in Rett Syndrome. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;978:3-21 pubmed publisher..Therefore, deciphering the molecular details involved in the MeCP2 neuronal chromatin arrangement is critical for our understanding of the proper and altered functionality of these cells. ..Haushalter C, Asselin L, Fraulob V, Dolle P, Rhinn M. Retinoic acid controls early neurogenesis in the developing mouse cerebral cortex. Dev Biol. 2017;430:129-141 pubmed publisher..derivative retinoic acid (RA) has been implicated as one of the signals acting during mammalian forebrain neurogenesis, its function at the onset of neurogenesis as well as during establishment of cortical layers and neuronal ..Dillon G, Tyler W, Omuro K, Kambouris J, Tyminski C, Henry S, et al. CLASP2 Links Reelin to the Cytoskeleton during Neocortical Development. Neuron. 2017;93:1344-1358.e5 pubmed publisher..Together, our data reveal that CLASP2 is an essential Reelin effector orchestrating cytoskeleton dynamics during brain development. ..Jin Y, Barnett A, Zhang Y, Yu X, Luo Y. Poststroke Sonic Hedgehog Agonist Treatment Improves Functional Recovery by Enhancing Neurogenesis and Angiogenesis. Stroke. 2017;48:1636-1645 pubmed publisher..These data confirm an important role for the hedgehog pathway in poststroke brain repair and functional recovery, suggesting a prolonged treatment window for potential treatment strategy to modulate sonic hedgehog pathway after stroke. ..Han H, Liang X, Wang J, Zhao Q, Yang M, Rong W, et al. Cannabinoid receptor 1 contributes to sprouted innervation in endometrial ectopic growth through mitogen-activated protein kinase activation. Brain Res. 2017;1663:132-140 pubmed publisherThe endocannabinoid system regulates neurite outgrowth and neurogenesis during development of the central nervous system...Seigfried F, Cizelsky W, Pfister A, Dietmann P, Walther P, Kuhl M, et al. Frizzled 3 acts upstream of Alcam during embryonic eye development. Dev Biol. 2017;426:69-83 pubmed publisher..Altogether our study reveals that alcam is activated through non-canonical Wnt signalling during embryonic eye development in Xenopus laevis and shows that this pathway plays a similar role in different tissues. ..Clements R, Turk R, Campbell K, Wright K. Dystroglycan Maintains Inner Limiting Membrane Integrity to Coordinate Retinal Development. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8559-8574 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that disorganization of retinal circuit development is a likely contributor to visual dysfunction in patients with dystroglycanopathy. ..Nakagawa N, Li J, Yabuno Nakagawa K, Eom T, Cowles M, Mapp T, et al. APC sets the Wnt tone necessary for cerebral cortical progenitor development. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1679-1692 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that APC-regulated ?-catenin activity in cortical progenitors sets the appropriate Wnt tone necessary for normal cerebral cortical development. ..Gutiérrez Fernández M, Rodríguez Frutos B, Ramos Cejudo J, Teresa Vallejo Cremades M, Fuentes B, Cerdan S, et al. Effects of intravenous administration of allogenic bone marrow- and adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells on functional recovery and brain repair markers in experimental ischemic stroke. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;4:11 pubmed publisher..pMCAO infarct was associated with good functional recovery, and reductions in cell death as well as increases in cellular proliferation, neurogenesis, oligodendrogenesis, synaptogenesis and angiogenesis markers at 14 days post-infarct.Busengdal H, Rentzsch F. Unipotent progenitors contribute to the generation of sensory cell types in the nervous system of the cnidarian Nematostella vectensis. Dev Biol. 2017;431:59-68 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that intermediate progenitor cells and symmetric divisions contribute to the formation of the seemingly simple nervous system of a sea anemone. ..Feliú A, Bonilla Del Río I, Carrillo Salinas F, Hernández Torres G, Mestre L, Puente N, et al. 2-Arachidonoylglycerol Reduces Proteoglycans and Enhances Remyelination in a Progressive Model of Demyelination. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8385-8398 pubmed publisher..The increased 2-arachidonoylglycerol tone promotes remyelination in a model of progressive multiple sclerosis ameliorating motor dysfunction. ..Voronova A, Yuzwa S, Wang B, Zahr S, Syal C, Wang J, et al. Migrating Interneurons Secrete Fractalkine to Promote Oligodendrocyte Formation in the Developing Mammalian Brain. Neuron. 2017;94:500-516.e9 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to their role in regulating neuronal excitability, interneurons act in a paracrine fashion to promote the developmental genesis of oligodendrocytes. ..Anacker C, Hen R. Adult hippocampal neurogenesis and cognitive flexibility - linking memory and mood. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2017;18:335-346 pubmed publisherAdult hippocampal neurogenesis has been implicated in cognitive processes, such as pattern separation, and in the behavioural effects of stress and antidepressants...Dunnack J, LoTurco J. Of Mice and Men: Species-Specific Organoid Models of Neocortical Malformation. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:421-422 pubmed publisher..2017) and Bershteyn etÂ al. (2017), use human cerebral organoids to identify specific cellular defects in neurogenesis that may explain PTEN-related macrocephaly and Miller-Dieker lissencephaly.Kurabayashi N, Sanada K. Molecular Mechanism Underlying Abnormal Differentiation of Neural Progenitor Cells in the Developing Down Syndrome Brain. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2017;137:795-800 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies identify critical pathways responsible for the proper differentiation of neural progenitors into neurons and astrocytes, with direct implications for the anomalies in brain development observed in DS. ..Lacomme M, Medevielle F, Bourbon H, Thierion E, Kleinjan D, Roussat M, et al. A long range distal enhancer controls temporal fine-tuning of PAX6 expression in neuronal precursors. Dev Biol. 2018;436:94-107 pubmed publisher..One good example is the ON/OFF switching of the transcription factor PAX6 that governs important steps of neurogenesis. In the neural tube PAX6 expression is initiated in neural progenitors through the positive action of retinoic ..Hoshino A, Ratnapriya R, Brooks M, Chaitankar V, Wilken M, Zhang C, et al. Molecular Anatomy of the Developing Human Retina. Dev Cell. 2017;43:763-779.e4 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide insights into human retinal development and serve as a resource for molecular staging of human stem-cell-derived retinal organoids. ..Li J, Han W, Pelkey K, Duan J, Mao X, Wang Y, et al. Molecular Dissection of Neuroligin 2 and Slitrk3 Reveals an Essential Framework for GABAergic Synapse Development. Neuron. 2017;96:808-826.e8 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal how unique postsynaptic CAMs work in concert to control synaptogenesis and establish a general framework for GABAergic synapse development. ..Efimova N, Korobova F, Stankewich M, Moberly A, Stolz D, Wang J, et al. ?III Spectrin Is Necessary for Formation of the Constricted Neck of Dendritic Spines and Regulation of Synaptic Activity in Neurons. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6442-6459 pubmed publisher..In the absence of ?III spectrin, dendritic spines collapse onto dendrites. As a result, synaptic strength exceeds acceptable levels and damages neurons, explaining pathology of human syndromes caused by ?III spectrin mutations. ..Varadarajan S, Kong J, Phan K, Kao T, Panaitof S, Cardin J, et al. Netrin1 Produced by Neural Progenitors, Not Floor Plate Cells, Is Required for Axon Guidance in the Spinal Cord. Neuron. 2017;94:790-799.e3 pubmed publisher..Thus, netrin1 does not act as a long-range secreted chemoattractant for commissural spinal axons but instead promotes ventrally directed axon outgrowth by haptotaxis, i.e., directed growth along an adhesive surface. ..Rogers W, Goyal Y, Yamaya K, Shvartsman S, Levine M. Uncoupling neurogenic gene networks in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 2017;31:634-638 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Drosophila is undergoing an evolutionary transition in central nervous system (CNS)-organizing activity from the ventral midline to the neurogenic ectoderm. ..Liu K, Xing R, Jian Y, Gao Z, Ma X, Sun X, et al. WDR91 is a Rab7 effector required for neuronal development. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3307-3321 pubmed publisher..Thus, WDR91 serves as a Rab7 effector that is essential for neuronal development by facilitating endosome conversion in the endosome-lysosome pathway. ..Wang X, Romine J, Gao X, Chen J. Aging impairs dendrite morphogenesis of newborn neurons and is rescued by 7, 8-dihydroxyflavone. Aging Cell. 2017;16:304-311 pubmed publisher..neural progenitor cells selectively become more quiescent in response to aging, thus leading to the decline of neurogenesis in the aged hippocampus. Here, we further find that aging impaired dendrite development of newborn neurons...