nervous system physiological phenomena
Summary: Characteristic properties and processes of the NERVOUS SYSTEM as a whole or with reference to the peripheral or the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- Barker S, GELLHORN E. Influence of suppressor areas on afferent impulses. J Neurophysiol. 1947;10:133-8 pubmed
- Wolkow C, Kimura K, Lee M, Ruvkun G. Regulation of C. elegans life-span by insulinlike signaling in the nervous system. Science. 2000;290:147-50 pubmed..However, restoring daf-2 pathway signaling to muscle rescued metabolic defects, thus decoupling regulation of life-span and metabolism. These findings point to the nervous system as a central regulator of animal longevity. ..
- Bowsher D. Termination of the central pain pathway in man: the conscious appreciation of pain. Brain. 1957;80:606-22 pubmed
- Sousa A, Meyer K, Santpere G, Gulden F, Sestan N. Evolution of the Human Nervous System Function, Structure, and Development. Cell. 2017;170:226-247 pubmed publisher..As relevant new information and tools materialize at an unprecedented pace, the field is now ripe for systematic and functionally relevant studies of the development and evolution of human nervous system specializations. ..
- Albright T, Jessell T, Kandel E, Posner M. Neural science: a century of progress and the mysteries that remain. Neuron. 2000;25 Suppl:S1-55 pubmed
- Raizen D, Avery L. Electrical activity and behavior in the pharynx of Caenorhabditis elegans. Neuron. 1994;12:483-95 pubmed
- Zimmermann H. Biochemistry, localization and functional roles of ecto-nucleotidases in the nervous system. Prog Neurobiol. 1996;49:589-618 pubmed..It plays a crucial role also for the survival and differentiation of neural cells in vitro and presumably during neuronal development in vivo. ..
- Hicks J, Uchida T, Seth A, Rajagopal A, Delp S. Is my model good enough? Best practices for verification and validation of musculoskeletal models and simulations of movement. J Biomech Eng. 2015;137:020905 pubmed publisher..In closing, we discuss challenges the community must overcome to ensure that modeling and simulation are successfully used to solve the broad spectrum of problems that limit human mobility. ..
- Vallee B, Falchuk K. The biochemical basis of zinc physiology. Physiol Rev. 1993;73:79-118 pubmed
- Weiss P, HISCOE H. Experiments on the mechanism of nerve growth. J Exp Zool. 1948;107:315-95 pubmed
- Holtfreter J. Neural induction in explants which have passed through a sublethal cytolysis. J Exp Zool. 1947;106:197-222 pubmed
- Cherbut C, Ferrier L, Roze C, Anini Y, Blottiere H, Lecannu G, et al. Short-chain fatty acids modify colonic motility through nerves and polypeptide YY release in the rat. Am J Physiol. 1998;275:G1415-22 pubmed..SCFAs modify colonic motor patterns in the rat and increase transit rate; local nerve fibers and PYY are involved in this effect. ..
- Bolce M, Hemmati Brivanlou A, Kushner P, Harland R. Ventral ectoderm of Xenopus forms neural tissue, including hindbrain, in response to activin. Development. 1992;115:681-8 pubmed
- GELLHORN E. Effect of afferent impulses on cortical suppressor areas. J Neurophysiol. 1947;10:125-32 pubmed
- Maqueda M, Roca E, Brotons D, Soria J, Perera A. Affected pathways and transcriptional regulators in gene expression response to an ultra-marathon trail: Global and independent activity approaches. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180322 pubmed publisher..05). Additionally, and related to the brain rewarding circuit, the endocannabinoid signalling pathway was overrepresented (p<0.05)...
- Borkenhagen M, Clémence J, Sigrist H, Aebischer P. Three-dimensional extracellular matrix engineering in the nervous system. J Biomed Mater Res. 1998;40:392-400 pubmed..These data suggest the feasibility of a 3D hydrogel-based ECM equivalent capable of enhancing neurite outgrowth in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Schmidt E, Kus L, Gong S, Heintz N. BAC transgenic mice and the GENSAT database of engineered mouse strains. Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2013;2013: pubmed publisher..It also provides an overview of searching the GENSAT database and ordering engineered mouse lines. ..
- Luna B. Developmental changes in cognitive control through adolescence. Adv Child Dev Behav. 2009;37:233-78 pubmed
- Metcalfe D, Baram D, Mekori Y. Mast cells. Physiol Rev. 1997;77:1033-79 pubmed..Biological functions of mast cells appear to include a role in innate immunity, involvement in host defense mechanisms against parasitic infestations, immunomodulation of the immune system, and tissue repair and angiogenesis. ..
- Levi Montalcini R, Skaper S, Dal Toso R, Petrelli L, Leon A. Nerve growth factor: from neurotrophin to neurokine. Trends Neurosci. 1996;19:514-20 pubmed..This review discusses recent discoveries involving novel and diverse biological activities of this fascinating molecule. ..
- LLOYD D. On the relation between discharge zone and subliminal fringe in a motoneuron pool supplied by a homogeneous presynaptic pathway. Yale J Biol Med. 1945;18:117-21 pubmed
- Walter W, DOVEY V, Shipton H. Analysis of the electrical response of the human cortex to photic stimulation. Nature. 1946;158:540 pubmed
- Estes W. Discriminative conditioning; effects of a Pavlovian conditioned stimulus upon a subsequently established operant response. J Exp Psychol. 1948;38:173-7 pubmed
- Caroni P. Activity-sensitive signaling by muscle-derived insulin-like growth factors in the developing and regenerating neuromuscular system. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1993;692:209-22 pubmed
- Gray T, Morley J. Neuropeptide Y: anatomical distribution and possible function in mammalian nervous system. Life Sci. 1986;38:389-401 pubmed..Thus, anatomical and physiological studies suggest a varied, but important, function for NPY in mammalian nervous system. ..