Genomes and Genes
Summary: Body movements of a human or an animal as a behavioral phenomenon.
- Toftager M, Kristensen P, Oliver M, Duncan S, Christiansen L, Boyle E, et al. Accelerometer data reduction in adolescents: effects on sample retention and bias. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013;10:140 pubmed publisher..This study highlighted the risk of introducing bias with more overweight and older adolescents excluded from the analysis when using short non-wear time definitions. ..
- Patel K, Guralnik J, Dansie E, Turk D. Prevalence and impact of pain among older adults in the United States: findings from the 2011 National Health and Aging Trends Study. Pain. 2013;154:2649-57 pubmed publisher..001). In summary, bothersome pain in the last month was reported by half of the older adult population of the United States in 2011 and was strongly associated with decreased physical function...
- Buchholz S, Wilbur J, Ingram D, Fogg L. Physical activity text messaging interventions in adults: a systematic review. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2013;10:163-73 pubmed publisher..Further research in this area is imperative to facilitate the expansion of mobile technology to promote physical activity. ..
- Gad P, Choe J, Shah P, Garcia Alias G, Rath M, Gerasimenko Y, et al. Sub-threshold spinal cord stimulation facilitates spontaneous motor activity in spinal rats. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2013;10:108 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that eEmc, in combination with the associated proprioceptive input, can modulate the spinal networks to significantly amplify the amount and robustness of spontaneous motor activity in paralyzed rats.
- Liu J, Zhang B, Lei H, Feng Z, Liu J, Hsu A, et al. Functional aging in the nervous system contributes to age-dependent motor activity decline in C. elegans. Cell Metab. 2013;18:392-402 pubmed publisher..e., functional aging). As animals age, they exhibit a gradual loss in motor activity, but the underlying mechanisms remain unclear. Here we approach this question in C...
- Cooper A, Brage S, Ekelund U, Wareham N, Griffin S, Simmons R. Association between objectively assessed sedentary time and physical activity with metabolic risk factors among people with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2014;57:73-82 pubmed publisher..isrctn99175498. ..
- Pulsford R, Griew P, Page A, Cooper A, Hillsdon M. Socioeconomic position and childhood sedentary time: evidence from the PEACH project. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013;10:105 pubmed publisher..Further research should combine self-report and objective data to examine associations with specific sedentary behaviours in the contexts within which they occur, as well as total sedentary time. ..
- Egecioglu E, ENGEL J, Jerlhag E. The glucagon-like peptide 1 analogue, exendin-4, attenuates the rewarding properties of psychostimulant drugs in mice. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69010 pubmed publisher..Given that GLP-1 analogues, such as exenatide and liraglutide, are clinically available for treatment of type II diabetes, we propose that these should be elucidated as treatments of drug dependence. ..
- Wang L, Wang Z, Zhu R, Bi J, Feng X, Liu W, et al. Therapeutic efficacy of AAV8-mediated intrastriatal delivery of human cerebral dopamine neurotrophic factor in 6-OHDA-induced parkinsonian rat models with different disease progression. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179476 pubmed publisher..This study may provide a basis for future clinical application of CDNF in PD patients at different stages and offer a new alternative strategy of joint use of CDNF and AADC for advanced PD patients in clinical trials. ..
- Saré R, Levine M, Smith C. Behavioral Phenotype of Fmr1 Knock-Out Mice during Active Phase in an Altered Light/Dark Cycle. Eneuro. 2016;3: pubmed publisher..Our data strengthen the existing data characterizing the phenotype of Fmr1 KO mice, indicating that it is independent of circadian phase. ..
- Calling S, Midlöv P, Johansson S, Sundquist K, Sundquist J. Longitudinal trends in self-reported anxiety. Effects of age and birth cohort during 25 years. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:119 pubmed publisher..Clinical efforts should focus particularly on young females (16-23 years), where the increase was particularly large; almost one third experienced anxiety at the end of the 25-year follow-up. ..
- Roberts S, Dun X, Doddrell R, Mindos T, Drake L, Onaitis M, et al. Sox2 expression in Schwann cells inhibits myelination in vivo and induces influx of macrophages to the nerve. Development. 2017;144:3114-3125 pubmed publisher..These findings identify Sox2 as a physiological regulator of Schwann cell myelination in vivo and its potential to play a role in disorders of myelination in the peripheral nervous system. ..
- Melczer C, Melczer L, Goják I, Kónyi A, Szabados S, Raposa L, et al. [Analysis of telemetry, on-line and non-telemetry data for characterization of the physical activity of patients with heart failure]. Orv Hetil. 2017;158:1390-1395 pubmed publisher..Orv Hetil. 2017; 158(35): 1390-1395. ..
- Dow G, Brown T, Reid M, Smith B, Toovey S. Tafenoquine is not neurotoxic following supertherapeutic dosing in rats. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2017;17:28-34 pubmed publisher..The clinical, hematological, behavioral, motor activity, and neurohistopathologic changes induced by different dose levels of tafenoquine were evaluated following ..
- Fiori E, Oddi D, Ventura R, Colamartino M, Valzania A, D Amato F, et al. Early-onset behavioral and neurochemical deficits in the genetic mouse model of phenylketonuria. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183430 pubmed publisher..Our results extend the understanding of behavioral and cerebral abnormalities in PKU mice, providing instruments to an early preclinical evaluation of the effects of new treatments. ..
- Paton D. Deutetrabenazine: Treatment of hyperkinetic aspects of Huntington's disease, tardive dyskinesia and Tourette syndrome. Drugs Today (Barc). 2017;53:89-102 pubmed publisher..In all three conditions, deutetrabenazine produced an acceptable level of overall adverse effects without causing any severe adverse effects. ..
- Malambo P, Kengne A, Lambert E, De Villers A, Puoane T. Association between perceived built environmental attributes and physical activity among adults in South Africa. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:213 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the need for policy strategies aimed at improving or maintaining these perceived environmental attributes to promote physical activity. ..
- Conceição C, Engi S, Cruz F, Planeta C. Behavioral cross-sensitization between testosterone and fenproporex in adolescent and adult rats. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2017;51:e6388 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that repeated AAS treatment might increase the dependence vulnerability to amphetamine and its derivatives in adolescent rats...
- Kume T, Suenaga A, Izumi Y, Akaike A. Protective Effect of Dimethyl Fumarate on an Oxidative Stress Model Induced by Sodium Nitroprusside in Mice. Biol Pharm Bull. 2016;39:1055-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the activation of heme oxygenase-1 plays an important role in the protective effect of DMF. ..
- da Silva A, Oliveira G, Medeiros S, Sousa A, Lopes L, David J, et al. Pre-clinical toxicology of garcinielliptone FC, a tautomeric pair of polyprenylated benzophenone, isolated from Platonia insignis Mart seeds. Phytomedicine. 2016;23:477-82 pubmed publisher..The acute toxicity study indicated that GFC treatment, at selected doses given orally and intraperitoneally, showed relatively low risk of toxicity in all test animals, suggesting that it is safe for further investigation. ..
- Jin X, Schwabe K, Krauss J, Alam M. The anterior and posterior pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus are involved in behavior and neuronal activity of the cuneiform and entopeduncular nuclei. Neuroscience. 2016;322:39-53 pubmed publisher..Lesions of the PPN in rats had complex effects on oscillatory neuronal activity of the CnF and the BG network, which may contribute to the understanding of the pathophysiology of gait disturbance in PD. ..
- Yu Z, Zhang N, Lu C, Pang T, Wang K, Jiang J, et al. Electroacupuncture at ST25 inhibits jejunal motility: Role of sympathetic pathways and TRPV1. World J Gastroenterol. 2016;22:1834-43 pubmed publisher..In type C rats, EA at ST25 significantly suppressed the motor activity of the jejunum in an intensity-dependent manner...
- Zang J, Ng S. Age, period and cohort effects on adult physical activity levels from 1991 to 2011 in China. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016;13:40 pubmed publisher..These trends suggest that tackling the rapid PA decline among its population is of high priority for China's public health outlook as its population ages and continues to experience significant economic and environmental changes. ..
- Welch J, Mayfield J, Leibowitz A, Baculis B, Valenzuela C. Third trimester-equivalent ethanol exposure causes micro-hemorrhages in the rat brain. Neuroscience. 2016;324:107-18 pubmed publisher..Given that this effect was observed at moderate levels of ethanol exposure, our findings lend additional support to the recommendation that women abstain from consuming alcoholic beverages during pregnancy. ..
- Tyndall A, Reinhardt J, Tronnier V, Mariani L, Stippich C. Presurgical motor, somatosensory and language fMRI: Technical feasibility and limitations in 491 patients over 13 years. Eur Radiol. 2017;27:267-278 pubmed..Motor fMRI is less dependent on field strength than language fMRI. • fMRI task failures are relatively low and are reduced by paradigm repetition. ..
- Struzik A, Zawadzki J. Application of force-length curve for determination of leg stiffness during a vertical jump. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2016;18:163-71 pubmed..Leg stiffness during a single vertical jump maintains a relatively constant value in the parts with a small value of acceleration. ..
- Oura K, Otsuka A, Shiuchi T, Chikahisa S, Shimizu N, Sei H. Late feeding in the active period decreases slow-wave activity. Life Sci. 2016;160:18-26 pubmed publisher..These data have important implications for the relationship between sleep-wake disturbances and metabolic disorders. ..
- Young D, Hivert M, Alhassan S, Camhi S, Ferguson J, Katzmarzyk P, et al. Sedentary Behavior and Cardiovascular Morbidity and Mortality: A Science Advisory From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016;134:e262-79 pubmed publisher..Further evidence is required to better inform public health interventions and future quantitative guidelines on sedentary behavior and cardiovascular health outcomes. ..
- Partyka A, Kurczab R, Canale V, Satała G, Marciniec K, Pasierb A, et al. The impact of the halogen bonding on D2 and 5-HT1A/5-HT7 receptor activity of azinesulfonamides of 4-[(2-ethyl)piperidinyl-1-yl]phenylpiperazines with antipsychotic and antidepressant properties. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:3638-3648 pubmed publisher..625mg/kg, i.p.). ..
- Chen Y, Chen D, Chiang T, Tu Y, Yu H. Determinants of rate of change in functional disability: An application of latent growth curve modeling. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2016;64:21-8 pubmed publisher..Decreasing the number of comorbidities and increasing the level of physically active leisure time activity should be considered priorities for preventing disability as people age. ..
- Lakerveld J, Mackenbach J, Horvath E, Rutters F, Compernolle S, Bardos H, et al. The relation between sleep duration and sedentary behaviours in European adults. Obes Rev. 2016;17 Suppl 1:62-7 pubmed publisher..Experimental studies are needed to assess the prospective relation between sedentary (screen) time and sleep duration. ..
- Ru X, Dai H, Jiang B, Li N, Zhao X, Hong Z, et al. Community-Based Rehabilitation to Improve Stroke Survivors' Rehabilitation Participation and Functional Recovery. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;96:e123-e129 pubmed publisher..05). Community-based rehabilitation appropriate technique increases rehabilitation participation rates and enhances motor function, daily activity, and social activity of stroke survivors. ..
- Zhang R, Wang J, Hu Y, Lu X, Jiang B, Zhang W, et al. Pifithrin-Î¼ Attenuates Acute Sickness Response to Lipopolysaccharide in C57BL/6J Mice. Pharmacology. 2016;97:245-50 pubmed publisher..These findings presented here extend the role of pifithrin-Î¼ beyond an anti-inflammatory molecule to a modulator of sickness behavior. ..
- Jin Y, Barnett A, Zhang Y, Yu X, Luo Y. Poststroke Sonic Hedgehog Agonist Treatment Improves Functional Recovery by Enhancing Neurogenesis and Angiogenesis. Stroke. 2017;48:1636-1645 pubmed publisher..These data confirm an important role for the hedgehog pathway in poststroke brain repair and functional recovery, suggesting a prolonged treatment window for potential treatment strategy to modulate sonic hedgehog pathway after stroke. ..
- Ozerov A, Bagmetova V, Chernysheva Y, Tyurenkov I. Comparison of the Efficiency of Adeprophen and Antidepressants of Various Groups on the Model of Reserpine-Induced Depression in Rats. Bull Exp Biol Med. 2016;160:649-52 pubmed publisher..Adeprophen had a greater antidepressant effect than sertraline and fluoxetine, but was less potent than amitriptyline, imipramine, venlafaxine, and to a lesser extent to paroxetine. ..
- Hejrati B, Chesebrough S, Bo Foreman K, Abbott J, Merryweather A. Comprehensive quantitative investigation of arm swing during walking at various speed and surface slope conditions. Hum Mov Sci. 2016;49:104-15 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that data-driven models can successfully describe arm-swing trajectories for normal gait under varying walking conditions. The findings also provide insight into the behavior of the elbow during walking. ..
- Manzano Szalai K, Pali Schöll I, Krishnamurthy D, Stremnitzer C, Flaschberger I, Jensen Jarolim E. Anaphylaxis Imaging: Non-Invasive Measurement of Surface Body Temperature and Physical Activity in Small Animals. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150819 pubmed publisher..We propose that the method will be useful for monitoring diseases associated with both, changes in body temperature and in physical behaviour. ..
- Bang K, Lee I, Kim S, Song M, Park S. [The Effects of Urban Forest-walking Program on Health Promotion Behavior, Physical Health, Depression, and Quality of Life: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Office-workers]. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2016;46:140-8 pubmed publisher..The program can be used as an effective and efficient strategy for physical and psychological health promotion for office workers. ..
- Stenholm S, Pulakka A, Kawachi I, Oksanen T, Halonen J, Aalto V, et al. Changes in physical activity during transition to retirement: a cohort study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016;13:51 pubmed publisher..Statutory retirement appears to be associated with a temporary increase in physical activity. Future research should examine ways to maintain the increased activity level after retirement. ..
- Wang L, Kang Y, Zhang G, Zhang Y, Cui R, Yan W, et al. Deficits in coordinated motor behavior and in nigrostriatal dopaminergic system ameliorated and VMAT2 expression up-regulated in aged male rats by administration of testosterone propionate. Exp Gerontol. 2016;78:1-11 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation of VMAT2 expression in aged male rats following chronic TP treatment might be involved in the maintenance of DAergic function of NSDA system in aged male rats. ..
- Towers A, Oelschlager M, Patel J, Gainey S, McCusker R, Freund G. Acute fasting inhibits central caspase-1 activity reducing anxiety-like behavior and increasing novel object and object location recognition. Metabolism. 2017;71:70-82 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that fasting decrease anxiety-like behavior and improves memory by a mechanism tied to reducing caspase-1 activity throughout the brain. ..
- Pahwa P, Goel R. Asparagus adscendens root extract enhances cognition and protects against scopolamine induced amnesia: An in-silico and in-vivo studies. Chem Biol Interact. 2016;260:208-218 pubmed publisher..Thus, in silico and in vivo results suggest that A. adscendens root may exert its nootropic activity through both anti-acetylcholinesterase and antioxidant activities. ..
- Telford R, Olive L, Cochrane T, Davey R, Telford R. Outcomes of a four-year specialist-taught physical education program on physical activity: a cluster randomized controlled trial, the LOOK study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016;13:64 pubmed publisher..Our finding of a reduction in sedentary time among Intervention boys warrants further investigation into the potential role PE could play in influencing sedentary behaviour. ..
- Hirose W, Kato Y, Natsutani I, Takata M, Kitaichi M, Imai S, et al. Synthesis and optimization of 4,5,6,7-tetrahydrooxazolo[4,5-c]pyridines as potent and orally-active metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 negative allosteric modulators. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4331-4335 pubmed publisher..The receptor occupancy test in the rat cortex revealed favorable brain penetration of these compounds. The reprsentative compound 13 produced oral antidepressant-like effect in the rat forced swimming test (MED: 0.3mg/kg, q.d.). ..
- Andre W, Ribeiro W, Cavalcante G, dos Santos J, Macedo I, de Paula H, et al. Comparative efficacy and toxic effects of carvacryl acetate and carvacrol on sheep gastrointestinal nematodes and mice. Vet Parasitol. 2016;218:52-8 pubmed publisher..8 mg/kg and 919 mg/kg, respectively. CA and monepantel reduced the epg of sheep by 65.9 and 96.4%, respectively, at 16 days post-treatment. CA showed in vitro and in vivo anthelmintic activity and was less toxic than carvacrol. ..
- Cabanas M, Bassil F, Mons N, Garret M, Cho Y. Changes in striatal activity and functional connectivity in a mouse model of Huntington's disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184580 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of the cellular and molecular changes underlying the transient striatal hyperactivity in the HD mice may help to understand the mechanisms involved in the disease onset...